• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

Javaman said:
Dustbowl Cap-point set two cap two. The road to final cappage, now with "Spy[]Blocker 2000(tm)"

6pzfle1.jpg

I remember one of my last games playing defense on Dustbowl and the offense had that similar setup. We tirelessly ambushed them as they came out of that tunnel and chased them back in, wrecking their little mini-base over and over again and finally held them back for around 11-13 minutes or so to win the match. I can't begin to explain how satisfying that felt. :lol

I miss this game and the gaf servers...just a couple of more days...

Icy

Banned
fallengorn said:
We should set up a donation site for him to get one. :lol

I'm gonna see if I can hop on tonight.

Mic runs $15.00 at Walmart. Java.. whats YOUR MAILING ADDRESS

To those who request reserved slots, there's no reason to resubmit them for the 2nd server. both servers mirror each other.

Firestorm

I didn't have a mic until I caught that sale. $20 for a Microsoft Lifechat LX-5000 or whatever. It seems they have refurbished units for about that on ebay too.

Icy

Banned
I use a logitech Internet Chat headset. Has worked great for me since I got it free with my Unreal Tournament 2004 Premium Edition :D

P.S: JAVAMAN WE DEMANDS YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.

Cheeto

JoeFu said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111602

I think somebody linked this one earlier. I might get a new mic just because my sucky 10 dollar headset is a piece of crap. I hear that 8 dollar one is pretty good.
That was probably me, I recommend that mic to anyone on a budget, or doesn't want one that attaches to headphones. However, if you can spend $50, get a Sennheiser 161 or the like. You won't regret that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have a mic but i never plug it in, i hate talking online.

It's strange because i get two very different experiences from playing on the gaf server and a local server.

Gaf server's tend to have people with mics so that side is excellent, my aiming as a soldier is at least 5m off because of the lag so i am sucking 24/7. Which is also why you should never uber me in a game.

Local server's give me the no lag and sweet aiming where i can do some great damage. Most people dont use mics but you will sometimes hear them, even ladies, but its still not as good as the gaf server.

If only i could combine the two for a perfect TF2 experience. damn you distance, damn you lag.

Icy

Banned
evlcookie said:
I have a mic but i never plug it in, i hate talking online.

It's strange because i get two very different experiences from playing on the gaf server and a local server.

Gaf server's tend to have people with mics so that side is excellent, my aiming as a soldier is at least 5m off because of the lag so i am sucking 24/7. Which is also why you should never uber me in a game.

Local server's give me the no lag and sweet aiming where i can do some great damage. Most people dont use mics but you will sometimes hear them, even ladies, but its still not as good as the gaf server.

If only i could combine the two for a perfect TF2 experience. damn you distance, damn you lag.

well the central server is back. Wait what server has ladies on a mic playing? I DEMANDS TO KNOW.

usea

My ping to the gaf server(s) seem to be around 190-250 so I didn't bother :( Also I can't talk on a mic. My ping might go down if I can get them to fix my wall jack.

rakka

icy is there a way to make a donation through paypal?

haven't played on the gaf servers yet though - tested ping and its always 200~ from here in aus :-(

will try soon anyhow and see how bad it is

Icy

Banned
usea said:
My ping to the gaf server(s) seem to be around 190-250 so I didn't bother :( Also I can't talk on a mic. My ping might go down if I can get them to fix my wall jack.

evl plays with a good 250 and kimi plays with a 300-400. and Kimi dominates me sometimes as sad as that is.

Icy

Banned
rakka said:
icy is there a way to make a donation through paypal?

haven't played on the gaf servers yet though - tested ping and its always 200~ from here in aus :-(

Short story, no. PayPal decided to bend me over and get me good with 2 payments I made to HLStatSX (they are in germany) and have since had my account frozen. There's about $40.00 in PayPal donations sitting that I cannot retrieve or even refund.

I can take it from Amazon , Snail Mail, or even google checkout.

Javaman

Awesome. Thanks for the votes of support guys. I'm headed out now to find a mic. You guys rock.

Say, does the Playstation 2 mic work?

usea

I'll try playing later tonight then, so how it goes. I sort of just play around a lot in tf2, not taking it very seriously. So I might not be a great team player, but I'll try not to let people down.

rakka your new avatar is better than the last one. :X

and paypal sucks.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Icy said:
well the central server is back. Wait what server has ladies on a mic playing? I DEMANDS TO KNOW.

Sometimes the local AU ones have ladies on it :lol . It's really strange to hear them swear etc. And then there are 12 year old boys who sound like girls, who act all excited and stuff.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Javaman said:
Awesome. Thanks for the votes of support guys. I'm headed out now to find a mic. You guys rock.

Say, does the Playstation 2 mic work?

It should. I believe i used it for ventrillo when i was playing WoW.

evlcookie said:
Sometimes the local AU ones have ladies on it :lol . It's really strange to hear them swear etc. And then there are 12 year old boys who sound like girls, who act all excited and stuff.
I have never heard any ladies. I have heard these 12 year old boys you speak of. Why do they always think they are so hardcore?

1-D_FTW

This sucks. Was hoping to get a quick match before the Dolphins game. Three times I connected and disconnected. There were 11 or 10 players on each side and I chose RED. It put me on Blue each time. And even yesterday when I'd was allowed to join the GAF team I wanted, I was auto-balanced off it.

I suppose I could play the map out and hope the next map allowed me to join who I wanted, but by then it'll be close to the start of the game. And I can't miss my weekly dose of television induced anger.

Firestorm

You know what sucks? When the map changes and I wait a while to see where GAFfers are going, get tired of waiting, choose a side, then you monkeys choose the other side 2 seconds later.

>=(

1-D_FTW said:
This sucks. Was hoping to get a quick match before the Dolphins game. Three times I connected and disconnected. There were 11 or 10 players on each side and I chose RED. It put me on Blue each time. And even yesterday when I'd was allowed to join the GAF team I wanted, I was auto-balanced off it.

This was happening to me yesterday. I disconnected and reconnected like 12 times trying to get onto the other team. Not to mention that part where I was let back into sudden death after dying, disconnecting and then reconnecting. So strange. TF2 has been real buggy for me lately. :(

Firestorm

Confidence Man said:
For some reason since the last update the game automatically puts me as the last class I played, it skips the class selection screen entirely.

Same, I thought I was hitting the buttons too fast at first

1-D_FTW

I've been having that class auto-selection too. I just thought it was an added "feature" that automatically selected your most often played class.

Icy

Banned
The server automatically places you on a team now. Its part of my setup. If your Steam ID is valid and not gonna be kicked, you get put on a team to prevent spectating. However by doing so it generally selects your last played class on the server I believe. Not 100% sure of the logic.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
The server automatically places you on a team now. Its part of my setup. If your Steam ID is valid and not gonna be kicked, you get put on a team to prevent spectating. However by doing so it generally selects your last played class on the server I believe. Not 100% sure of the logic.

Why does it let you choose the team then? If the teams are 10-10 you still have to choose a team. It just ignores your wishes. And you're stuck on that screen, so you can "spectate" as long as you want. You won't see any action, but you'll stare at the team select screen if you wanna go to the bathroom.

If it automatically assigned you a team and skipped the selection process, I could understand. But it asks you to pick a team and then disregards it.

I really wish we could go back to the 2 minutes and you're kicked rules for spectating.

No_Style

1-D_FTW said:
I really wish we could go back to the 2 minutes and you're kicked rules for spectating.

Agreed.

The "auto-selecting" and "auto-balancing" isn't terrible for pure random servers, but when I see a bunch of GAF players on one side, I want to join them.

JoeFu

Banned
Jacobi said:
It was fun playing a little bit yesterday. I wonder why Miyuru doesn't post in here though

Yeah... he asked me if I post on gaf. I think half my posts are from this thread...

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Why does it let you choose the team then? If the teams are 10-10 you still have to choose a team. It just ignores your wishes. And you're stuck on that screen, so you can "spectate" as long as you want. You won't see any action, but you'll stare at the team select screen if you wanna go to the bathroom.

If it automatically assigned you a team and skipped the selection process, I could understand. But it asks you to pick a team and then disregards it.

It is set at 2 minutes.

Icy

Banned
No_Style said:
Agreed.

The "auto-selecting" and "auto-balancing" isn't terrible for pure random servers, but when I see a bunch of GAF players on one side, I want to join them.

then we get into stacking and people just give up on playing. Been happening a lot lately. I've seen the server pop drop a good 8-10 players cause of stacking. Hell Javaman almost d/c the other night I was on because of it, thank god I got a scramble command. :D

JoeFu

Banned
Booo, I love stacking :)

It's more fun with the gaffers. Tonight hopefully... the team does screw me over. I want puyo to heal me!

fallengorn said:
We should set up a donation site for him to get one. :lol

I'm gonna see if I can hop on tonight.

And TruLoki should get one that works :lol

Was taking a break from TF2, kinda mandatory on account of being hooked on The Witcher. That game's finished now, and I'm starting to fall in love with TF2 all over again. :D

Icy, I was just wondering if there is a list of the players who have a reserved slot, wondering if my application came through two weeks ago.

Oh, and people who don't have a mic: get a Logitech USB 250. It cost me about $30-35 (in Euro's) en works great. Even after playing several hours, minimal ear irritation and such.

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
Icy, I was just wondering if there is a list of the players who have a reserved slot, wondering if my application came through two weeks ago.

Oh, and people who don't have a mic: get a Logitech USB 250. It cost me about $30-35 (in Euro's) en works great. Even after playing several hours, minimal ear irritation and such.

If you sent me a steam id, you got on.

sharkie

Richardfun said:
And TruLoki should get one that works :lol

sharkie said:
I know, no gaffer should really be without one, I mean there is no need for a fancy logitech cock 3000 just get a nice cheap reliable table top mic and use seperate head phones and you're set, I got my mic for 2 pounds (4 dollars) three years ago and it still works great to this day.

I fucking jinxed it I swear three years no problems I mention that and its cocked it up the same bloody night :(

p.s I'm still laughing about that Michael Scott reference about coming from behind :lol

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
then we get into stacking and people just give up on playing. Been happening a lot lately. I've seen the server pop drop a good 8-10 players cause of stacking. Hell Javaman almost d/c the other night I was on because of it, thank god I got a scramble command. :D

I could have swore the game on Saturday had you stacked on the other side with a bunch of the gaffers I recognized. How come you didn't join the other side with no gaffers? I joined RichardFun's side, and got put on the other side (thought I hit the wrong button). It's not fun to play when everyone is on one side and you're the other. Next match I joined RichardFun's team from the start and was auto-balanced off after 5 minutes.

And I'll auto-balance myself so teams are fair. But when teams are stacked and I get tired of hitting a brick wall and wanna have some fun, it sucks.

Maybe I just hit a bad streak this weekend, but it was ridiculous how I kept getting screwed. If I wanna play with a bunch of public players on my team, I'm better off joining a public server where at least the other team I'm fighting are all public players too.

Sorry to sound bitter, but this weekend had a lot of weird stuff IMO. Plus I kept getting sided with RPhilman. He was at the top this weekend. It seemed weird we were being paired. Like we were being forced onto this team cause our stats dictated it. RPhilman to the best of my knowledge isn't a gaffer. And he's a sniper. An incredible sniper, yeah. But he's useless for helping you capture points (as are all snipers.) You need buddies in the trenches for that.

And what's funny at the end of the match I got auto-balanced off of (I'm not sure if you'd quit playing by then), was RichardFun types to RPhilman that he's playing on the wrong side. He needs to join them.

So if it was being calculated, it's flawed. I'm sure you're gonna tell me it's not, but if it is, this is the flaw of randomly calculating a good matchup based on stats.

To make a long story short: I thinked it's flawed both ways. I think Gaf can self police just as effectively as this (and better if this weekend is the standard.)

1-D_FTW said:
I could have swore the game on Saturday had you stacked on the other side with a bunch of the gaffers I recognized. How come you didn't join the other side with no gaffers? I joined RichardFun's side, and got put on the other side (thought I hit the wrong button). It's not fun to play when everyone is on one side and you're the other. Next match I joined RichardFun's team from the start and was auto-balanced off after 5 minutes.

And I'll auto-balance myself so teams are fair. But when teams are stacked and I get tired of hitting a brick wall and wanna have some fun, it sucks.

Maybe I just hit a bad streak this weekend, but it was ridiculous how I kept getting screwed. If I wanna play with a bunch of public players on my team, I'm better off joining a public server where at least the other team I'm fighting are all public players too.

Sorry to sound bitter, but this weekend had a lot of weird stuff IMO. Plus I kept getting sided with RPhilman. He was at the top this weekend. It seemed weird we were being paired. Like we were being forced onto this team cause our stats dictated it. RPhilman to the best of my knowledge isn't a gaffer. And he's a sniper. An incredible sniper, yeah. But he's useless for helping you capture points (as are all snipers.) You need buddies in the trenches for that.

And what's funny at the end of the match I got auto-balanced off of (I'm not sure if you'd quit playing by then), was RichardFun types to RPhilman that he's playing on the wrong side. He needs to join them.

So if it was being calculated, it's flawed. I'm sure you're gonna tell me it's not, but if it is, this is the flaw of randomly calculating a good matchup based on stats.

To make a long story short: I thinked it's flawed both ways. I think Gaf can self police just as effectively as this (and better if this weekend is the standard.)

What's your ingame nick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom