• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFu

Banned
85abdbt.jpg

6yebxqp.jpg

82x9soo.jpg

I don't know why crushed didn't post them in here.

Firestorm

evlcookie said:
WHAT?! your nuts, 2fort is a pos :lol . Someone needs a head check ;) . No matter what class i play or how hard i try 2fort just isnt the map for me. As soon as it comes up on a server i am on i tend to bail out. But i agree dustbowl is the best map :D

I dunno, I just love being Spy on 2fort =P And had some funny games with friends. If I play it more again, I bet I'll hate it again eventually :( I really don't like Hydro though. None of the variants of Hydro appeal to me.

omgimaninja said:
I can't stand playing 2Fort anymore, and the people on the GAF server sucked, so I tried out the SA Goon server. They're quite good players!

I am starting to develop an aversion to 2Fort as well. Used to love it, but it's just too easy to turn it into a complete stalemate if both teams have 2 engineers with half a clue. My fav's are gravelpit and dustbowl.

Really sucks though that Valve has already said they wouldn't release any new maps in the future. Or perhaps they only said this to throw us off the scent, and catch us completely by surprise in the near future. Here's to hoping. Anyone wish to join me in this round of wishful thinking? :lol

Let me take that back, I hate playing 2Fort with a team that sucks. If you have a good balanced 12v12 made up of GAFers or Friends who actually work together, it's not bad.

Xizk

Teamwork is essential to make 2fort a fun map. One time we had two heavys and two medics(me one of them) working together and we had no problem taking the intelligence.

To bad those instances are too few :/

Richardfun said:
Really sucks though that Valve has already said they wouldn't release any new maps in the future. Or perhaps they only said this to throw us off the scent, and catch us completely by surprise in the near future. Here's to hoping. Anyone wish to join me in this round of wishful thinking? :lol
You're imagining things, they're working on new maps and new content as we speak. Actually theres an article on the latest GFW regarding this, aside from new maps they're going to be adding more voice clips. Robin Walker also mentions adding extra incentives for medics who switch targets, i'm guessing a faster ubercharge.

:lol at the motivational posters.

PillowKnight said:
You're imagining things, they're working on new maps and new content as we speak. Actually theres an article on the latest GFW regarding this, aside from new maps they're going to be adding more voice clips.

:lol at the motivational posters.

Oh, weird. I really thought I read somewhere that they would not bring out any more official maps. You got a source for your info (online source) that I could read? Any idea what the timeframe might be on the new maps?

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
Oh, weird. I really thought I read somewhere that they would not bring out any more official maps. You got a source for your info (online source) that I could read? Any idea what the timeframe might be on the new maps?

Source? hah don't need it. Just go through the pages and pages of people modding. Last few patches added header files for the 2 other game types.. Hunted and 4 Team.

Also added data on cp_bridge and cp_badlands. Of which Mike from Valve has confirmed many time sover on the HLDS Mailing List. You won't see any official PR from valve on maps or anything of the sort ever.

Cheeto

Firestorm said:
I actually don't mind 2fort now. Hydro is my new least favourite map.

Dustbowl > 2fort > Gravelpit > Granary > Well > Hydro

I dunno why, but 2fort went from my least favourite to a map I actually enjoy.
I almost agree with this, except my list would read like this:

Dustbowl > 2fort > Well > Gravelpit > Granary >>>>Hydro

2fort was my most hated map when I first started playing. It seemed poorly designed, but now, when playing with a good team that communicates it's almost the best. The only reason I like Dustbowl more is because it's easier to jump into a pub and have a good time even if the rest of your teammates are idiots.

Hydro would have to be the only map in the package that I consider a 'bad' map.

Since we're ranking maps now:

Dustbowl > Granary > Hydro > Gravelpit > Well > Dust > Office > Facing2Worlds > Water Temple > World 1-1 > > > > 2Fort

My complaint with Well is unless you cap the middle point at the beginning, it's almost too hard to win the round. With Granary, you can gain the middle point back very easily.

omgimaninja said:
Since we're ranking maps now:

Dustbowl > Granary > Hydro > Gravelpit > Well > Dust > Office > Facing2Worlds > Water Temple > World 1-1 > > > > 2Fort

My complaint with Well is unless you cap the middle point at the beginning, it's almost too hard to win the round. With Granary, you can gain the middle point back very easily.

Is Well the one with the trainyard? If so, I agree. If you don't get that middle point initially, you're pretty much doomed and left to defend those last two until time runs out and sudden death sets in.

Cheeto

Just like everything else in this game, teamwork is key. On Well, playing with a good team means, after losing the middle point you fall back on defense for a short time. Wait for the first wave of attackers to get stopped, then you move up together as a team, killing the stragglers. If everyone moves as a team, it's not hard at all to take that second point back, as there are so many points of entry.

firex

I agree with the dustbowl #1, 2fort #2 favorite maps stuff now. seriously, I thought 2fort sucked at first, but it's maybe the best designed map of the bunch. The only real problem with it is if you have a shitload of engineers and sentries guarding the intel room, but that's stoppable with the right classes.

WhatRuOn said:
Just like everything else in this game, teamwork is key. On Well, playing with a good team means, after losing the middle point you fall back on defense for a short time. Wait for the first wave of attackers to get stopped, then you move up together as a team, killing the stragglers. If everyone moves as a team, it's not hard at all to take that second point back, as there are so many points of entry.

I suppose you're right, I guess that we didn't have a proper team yesterday then, because we could not get that middle point no matter what we did.

Finally got approved for the forum...I havnt been playing much lately, but you should see me more often now, finals are almost over...my tag is ULcajun

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
WhatRuOn said:
I find that soldiers and demoman can deal with sentries by themselves if they aren't contested by players.
While a soldier can pick apart a room full of engineer equipment given enough time, the absolute best way to take care of sentries is demoman+medic. Only a demoman can singlehandedly damage a sentry faster that it can be repaired, and it only takes a couple stickybombs to do so.

An ubered demo can basically march in the intelligence room, crush everything inside, then run out with the int.

Cheeto

Hitokage said:
While a soldier can pick apart a room full of engineer equipment given enough time, the absolute best way to take care of sentries is demoman+medic. Only a demoman can singlehandedly damage a sentry faster that it can be repaired, and it only takes a couple stickybombs to do so.

An ubered demo can basically march in the intelligence room, crush everything inside, then run out with the int.
No doubt, that's why I included demomen.

Richardfun said:
I'm game. In how many hours from now do you plan on playing Joe? Others?
I should be on around 6pm EST.

JoeFu

Banned
Sounds like a good time to play. I have to go to a concert tonight for music appreciation, which sucks. Anyways, see ya'll in less than 3 hours.

miyuru

I wish the East server had more dustbowl, I can't stand granary nor 2fort. Well is ok....but gets tired very quickly IMO.

It really depends on your team. That's honestly what it comes down to. I think most people know dustbowl best, and that might be why it's funner to play on, since the teams are smarter on it?

That and, it's just hella fun!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
WhatRuOn said:
Would anyone really miss Hydro?

Me, i actually dont mind hydro. Every map has its flaws, but 2fort just isnt fun to me. Granary is also starting to piss me off, because it's really just a scout rush-a-thon.
I love dustbowl and then gravel pit comes in second. Everything else is just "ok" .

And yes i still dont have the 10 kills with a sentry gun. I hate that damn achievement.

sharkie said:
No worries mate.

Please be joking :-l

Nope, my memory is just that shabby. I had quite a few good runs as a medic with other classes. And I know, I know you and it's on the tip of my tongue, but just out of reach :lol

There's a easy way to get the 10 kills with sentry achievement . First you get yourself on a stacked team in a defense map, then find a decent sentry location and bunk down. Dustbowl/Gravel pit are the best maps to get the achievement in...2fort can also work well. The easiest being the last defense round in dustbowl. If that doesn't work set your sentry up in a dumb location works wonders oftentimes.

firex

the thing with Hydro for me is that god-awful round 1 configuration where you have to head through the inside of the cave, and if you fall you crater. I hate that one because it's like every single person is packed into this sardine can, only it's just big enough that close quarters classes don't make a big impact. And then it becomes really easy to turtle outside the entrances for either team and stop anything but a big rush of offense.

sharkie

Richardfun said:
Nope, my memory is just that shabby. I had quite a few good runs as a medic with other classes. And I know, I know you and it's on the tip of my tongue, but just out of reach :lol

Richardfun said:
Wait, I got it. StalkerU, right? :D

nope its TRULOKI :'(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, broke my kill assist record tonight in dustbowl area 2 before getting a single death. Feeling mostly up to speed as soldier but I could definitely use a lot more practice. At least I had a 3-5:1 kd rather than 1-2:1.

PillowKnight said:
There's a easy way to get the 10 kills with sentry achievement . First you get yourself on a stacked team in a defense map, then find a decent sentry location and bunk down. Dustbowl/Gravel pit are the best maps to get the achievement in...2fort can also work well. The easiest being the last defense round in dustbowl. If that doesn't work set your sentry up in a dumb location works wonders oftentimes.
The absolute best maps to rack up tons of sentry kills are avantiville and well_classic. :D

1-D_FTW

That was fun today.

Although there's no way that thing is doing any kind of balancing work when I join. I played for literally four hours and for the hell of it, chose RED every single time. And 100 percent of the time I was placed on Blue. So there's no deep thinking go on for me. StalkerU is assigned Blue. That's the extent of it.

Firestorm

Only joined for a bit but it was fun.

"Hey it's Firestorm, how are you Firestorm?"
"Yes"

Sorry guys :( Can't use mic with people sleeping! For some reason my friends and I got connection errors and it made it unplayable for us? Not sure if it was the map or our ISP acting up as we're all on Telus ADSL. Warpath's timer seemed too long. At the rate we were going, no way it would finish.

PS: Screw you snipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom