• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the other server has zero players.

I'm not playing right now anyway. I'll use the post with the better updated server stats the next time I plan on it, though.

Eric P

i finally loaded this up and played it for a bit. the server i was on was fairly unforgiving (i got a lot of shit from team mates for "not knowing what i was doing") so i quit after a bit and played some Episode 2.

Icy

Banned
Eric P said:
i finally loaded this up and played it for a bit. the server i was on was fairly unforgiving (i got a lot of shit from team mates for "not knowing what i was doing") so i quit after a bit and played some Episode 2.

this normal on about 99% of all TF2 servers Unfortunately. My servers don't seem that bad, people will bitch about it behind closed doors, on here or elsewhere. I've given the kickstick, gagstick, mutestick and banstick for those shitheads who explode on the server :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You'll only really draw ire on the GAF server by being a terrible medic. For that there's always my Medic 101 post, and also you should spend time as an offensive class partnered with various medics so you understand how their actions can help or hurt your play.

You can learn a lot about the strengths and limits of a class just by observing others who play it. Most of what I learned about playing engineer was gathered while I was soldier by seeing how certain people would make it easy or hard for me to attack them, and then I tried to refine it when playing as engie myself. (On that note, few things makes me happier than to see a lone engineer flee his sentry when under attack. It's guaranteed victory.)

Of course, this doesn't apply to spies since the objective is for you to NOT see them until it's too late. Not that I'm good at playing them in the first place. :(

Eric P

i stuck with soldier pretty much the whole time because it seemed the most straight forward class.

"see that dude? shoot rockets at where his feet will be"

Cheeto

Eric P said:
i stuck with soldier pretty much the whole time because it seemed the most straight forward class.

You can also try Heavy and Pyro, they are also very easy to pick up classes that are hard to master.

Icy said:
this normal on about 99% of all TF2 servers Unfortunately.

I picked up the game fairly recently and this is my largest gripe. None of the maps aren't very kind to unbalanced teams and classes are fairly weak individually, making the game simply obnoxious at times.

Also shitty engies deserve far more hate than bad medics.

JoeFu

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
You can also try Heavy and Pyro, they are also very easy to pick up classes that are hard to master.

Those are my two favorite classes. I love how a pyro can ruin an incoming attack by burning all of them. Usually when I do that I just go for the medics.

1-D_FTW

While I think soldier is probably the easiest to be average at, I'm not sure there's much value in a mediocre soldier. I'm glad I started playing pyro first. Get used to the tactics and aggression needed by the pyro, then apply those principles to soldier. Nothing like ambushing behind 4-5 enemies and making a bunch of correct choices. The carnage is glorious.

The greatest feeling is when you've entered a situation where you're so outnumbered and there's so much blood splatter, that you quit firing once things go quiet. Because you thought you died. Then 2 seconds later you see your reticule still on the screen and you're like "F Yeah. I am god." Reload the rocket clip.

Of course, there's gonna be runs where everything goes wrong. But you need to be aggressive and those things happen.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
You'll only really draw ire on the GAF server by being a terrible medic. For that there's always my Medic 101 post, and also you should spend time as an offensive class partnered with various medics so you understand how their actions can help or hurt your play.

You can learn a lot about the strengths and limits of a class just by observing others who play it. Most of what I learned about playing engineer was gathered while I was soldier by seeing how certain people would make it easy or hard for me to attack them, and then I tried to refine it when playing as engie myself. (On that note, few things makes me happier than to see a lone engineer flee his sentry when under attack. It's guaranteed victory.)

Of course, this doesn't apply to spies since the objective is for you to NOT see them until it's too late. Not that I'm good at playing them in the first place. :(

Starting 12/18 Hitokage will allow any nub medic to heal him, as he will train you personally. Please.. come to your PC naked and have mic. Men and women welcome. :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Eric P said:

I used to cycle through a bunch of classes but now I'm usually a soldier just because the team needs more offense... I mean other than the three pyros running around.

Firestorm

timer complaint again: Dustbowl really sucks with new timer. Screw Granary, save Dustbowl =( We never got to the third section. The second point was only capped twice and it was only on the first section. We played 2 extensions through map vote.

I find the game kinda sucks when people change classes without really thinking of what others are doing. I mean, we once had 4 medics + 4 engineers... ugh. And I hate when spies aren't doing their job with regards to getting rid of sentries.

1-D_FTW

Firestorm said:
timer complaint again: Dustbowl really sucks with new timer. Screw Granary, save Dustbowl =( We never got to the third section. The second point was only capped twice and it was only on the first section. We played 2 extensions through map vote.

Quoted for emphasis. Dustbowl >>>>>>>>>>> all else. Granary really can't be saved and it's not worth destroying Dustbowl trying.

WhatRuOn said:
Granary is awesome
if you like playing scout
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

He's talking about how Icy implemented spawn plugins to counter what had been down to Granary and the complete steamroll it turned into. Helping make Granary playable isn't worth destroying Dustbowl.

Icy said:
Starting 12/18 Hitokage will allow any nub medic to heal him, as he will train you personally. Please.. come to your PC naked and have mic. Men and women welcome. :lol
Oh and don't forget to run and latch onto a fully healed Heavy even if the rest of your team has 1HP. When Hito calls for a medic, he really means the Heavy needs healing :lol

firex

I've noticed my 2 favorite maps are dustbowl and gravelpit. Those are the 2 maps you can't get sudden death on... I almost want to consider it a coincidence, but then I'd say not really. It's not the main reason I like them, but it does help a lot.

Meanwhile my 2 least favorite maps are granary and well. And the sudden death magnet, hydro, is still a map I can enjoy. So while I don't really think sudden death is great, it's not the big game breaking thing for me... despite my favorite maps not having sudden death.

The only parts of hydro I really hate are the final maps. they're a bitch to defend, especially the red one where there's like 8 easy entrances right to the final CP that take about as long to get to for blu as it does for red.

Cheeto

I hate hydro with a passion, more then any other map. It's probably because it's usually just sudden death after sudden death. Hydro wouldn't be so bad if you could extend the round time to 10-15 minutes.

And 2fort is one of the best maps in the package, only bested by Dustbowl. People just need to give teamwork a chance.

Well is such a piece of shit. It's so much worse than Granary. That center building just isn't fucking fun to be anywhere near, and then the next point is so incredibly easy to defend.

Cheeto

Son of Godzilla said:
Well is such a piece of shit. It's so much worse than Granary. That center building just isn't fucking fun to be anywhere near, and then the next point is so incredibly easy to defend.
You're crazy. Well is great for Scouts, Engys, Spies(big time), Soldiers, and Demos.

It's great for scouts and maybe spies, otherwise mehhhhhhh.

But like... any make is great for scouts.

Also I realize it's stupid to think this has any bearing on anything, but sudden death on Hydro makes absolutely no sense. Alright team, we've been trying to cap this point for an entire 8 minutes or however long it is, and I can't take it any more. Lets do one last charge! Cool, we got it, now let's spend 8 minutes trying to cap this next point.

1-D_FTW

My list is: Dustbowl > Gravel Pit >>>> Well > Hyrdro >>>>> Granary.

It's funny, too, since Well and Granary are basically the same concept. Run straight ahead on symmetrical maps for five capture points. But I just think it's more interesting then Granary.

Disappointed that with only 6 maps, 2 of them are so similiar in layout (and such a throwback to antiquated design.) But I always thought Well was the better of the two, and now that Granary is broken, it's no contest.

In theory I like Hydro better than Well, but the fact it usually ends in a sudden death where the aggressive team loses 90 percent of the time sucks. I like the layout better than Well, just not the results.

2fort would probably be fun if everything were on default and there were actual winners and losers. But since it's not, it's not.

Well also looks cooler, has more routes for spies aka Engineers aren't so powerful, has far less stronghold areas to camp with sentries which gives less chance of stalemate, still has significant running time for the attacking team meaning defence can retake middle and counter-attack, has very different areas which are very varied in their combat styles, has a lot of movement freedom/extra attack routes for soldiers and demomen doing explosive jumps plus amusing random shit like trains. Seeing a train punt an uber guy out of uber range then squishing him is hilarious. Well is far superior. EDIT: plus setup time = no midpoint scout rush.

My favorite is Gravelpit though. Just because Dustbowl is too narrow for safe spy-age :D

1-D_FTW said:
While I think soldier is probably the easiest to be average at, I'm not sure there's much value in a mediocre soldier. I'm glad I started playing pyro first. Get used to the tactics and aggression needed by the pyro, then apply those principles to soldier. Nothing like ambushing behind 4-5 enemies and making a bunch of correct choices. The carnage is glorious.

The greatest feeling is when you've entered a situation where you're so outnumbered and there's so much blood splatter, that you quit firing once things go quiet. Because you thought you died. Then 2 seconds later you see your reticule still on the screen and you're like "F Yeah. I am god." Reload the rocket clip.

Of course, there's gonna be runs where everything goes wrong. But you need to be aggressive and those things happen.

I can relate to that feeling. Few things are more fun than walking up behind a proper sized group of enemies (half a dozen) and opening my minigun on them. I've had 5 against 1 situations where I won simply because they were dead before they could turn around :D

Giganticus said:
Well also looks cooler, has more routes for spies aka Engineers aren't so powerful, has far less stronghold areas to camp with sentries which gives less chance of stalemate, still has significant running time for the attacking team meaning defence can retake middle and counter-attack, has very different areas which are very varied in their combat styles, has a lot of movement freedom/extra attack routes for soldiers and demomen doing explosive jumps plus amusing random shit like trains. Seeing a train punt an uber guy out of uber range then squishing him is hilarious. Well is far superior. EDIT: plus setup time = no midpoint scout rush.

My favorite is Gravelpit though. Just because Dustbowl is too narrow for safe spy-age :D

Gravelpit does rock, but I wish Valve would hurry up and release some new maps already.

1-D_FTW

You guys all quit. I went to look at the score and saw that we had six guys left. Just as well, I needed to stop anyways and it's not like we were gonna win.

1-D_FTW said:
My list is: Dustbowl > Gravel Pit >>>> Well > Hyrdro >>>>> Granary.

That's my order of preference exactly. With 2Fort being at the very last. My favourite usually jumps from Gravelpit to Dustbowl and back depending on the classes i'm playing.
I think the reason I like Well more than Granary is because of the small things like the underground water throughout the map, which makes playing spy and pyro easier, and I find the second points more fun to defend/offend.

Doytch

PillowKnight said:
:( You guys gotta inform me of these things, wish I was there.l

You didn't miss anything. It wasn't that bad until a bunch of them got on, and then the teams got rearranged with them all on one team. Gravelpit was a slaughterhouse.

n0b

Icy, new maps to try: Sidwinder and Rocktumbler (if you haven't seen them already)

A new cp map, and based off the same layout, a reverse CTF map. (Get the flag into the enemy base)

6sa5f6q.jpg

8gicugg.jpg

73luatk.jpg

http://www.hl2world.com/bbs/map-release-tf2-sidewinder-amp-rocktumbler-vt48901.html (Rest of screens/Description)

http://jparlay.com/cp_sidewinder_b3.zip (15 mb)
http://jparlay.com/ctf_rocktumbler_b3.zip (15 mb)

It'll be an entire map based around the awesomeness that is in a CTF match when you drop the enemy's intelligence somewhere randomly after dying and watching everyone scramble to defend/attack it. Unpredictable. Awesome :D

Eric P

1-D_FTW said:
Eric P: Did you miss the Null clan? Cause that was an ass kicking even if you weren't a noob.

i think i saw a few of them, but really it was known gaf people killing me.

repeatedly

the bastards

1-D_FTW

Doytch said:
You didn't miss anything. It wasn't that bad until a bunch of them got on, and then the teams got rearranged with them all on one team. Gravelpit was a slaughterhouse.

That's the map I was talking about. Didn't they have 8 guys? Then I think I looked at the scoreboard and Hito, Warcock, and you had all suddenly quit. I think you were gone. They must have left soon afterwards since the game had become so unbalanced.

PillowKnight said:
:( You guys gotta inform me of these things, wish I was there.l

I'm pretty sure I pulled up the console and you weren't online. There's so little respawn time, though, maybe I rushed it and was wrong.

Son of Godzilla said:
I would kill for a proper version of Dustbowl. There's just something boring about standing on a damn cap to win.

Are you an old time TF player who has nostalgia for old maps? I can't help but wonder based on your map preferences.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
they had 12.

Twelve guys, but weren't only 8 of them with the [Null] tag? I know for a brief stint Warcock tried playing on their team until Hito auto-switched him onto our team.

Can you please ditch that respawn timer override? Everybody on Dustbowl hated it. It breaks the map with people respawning so quickly.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Twelve guys, but weren't only 8 of them with the [Null] tag? I know for a brief stint Warcock tried playing on their team until Hito auto-switched him onto our team.

Can you please ditch that respawn timer override? Everybody on Dustbowl hated it. It breaks the map with people respawning so quickly.

1 person isn't everbody.

1-D_FTW

It's pretty much everybody. I haven't seen anyone defend it. It's almost universally hated.

Unless you're talking about Warcock being on the other team. I never saw more than 7-8 with the clan tag. Maybe I missed it briefly when they had 11. But I'm kind of a scoreboard whore, so if it was, it was really quick.

1-D_FTW said:
Are you an old time TF player who has nostalgia for old maps? I can't help but wonder based on your map preferences.

You say that like me playing TFC not two days ago is abnormal :(

Really, I can't fucking stand Well. It's just not fun, I'm not sure why people like it more than Granary. I really enjoy clashing in the middle on Granary, Well's mid is way too fucking exposed. Hell, cap for cap Granary is just plain more fun than Well. The only thing positive I can say about Well is that the 4th cap being easier to defend that Granary's... makes it different than Granary.

Also it doesn't help that I just played a game where my team was convinced running 6 engies would lead us to victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom