• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the class that's most likely to be behind everyone else and has the most limited tunnel vision (making them unlikely to spot themselves) is the Sniper. Cloak, run to snipers, uncloak, any passing enemy thinks "oh hay, snipers are back here". When the time is right, backstab sniper and run into the main pack, stabbing away.

EDIT: and when choosing disguise, think about where the class you're disguising as would normally be. And be there. Soldiers wont be hanging back, they'll be in the fray. Pyros hide round corners in nooks. etcetera, etcetera.

fallout

Giganticus said:
Spy tip: run backwards into enemy lines rather than forwards if your cloak is used up. And when a friendly rocket or grenade explodes near you, jump in a random direction, run backwards and shout for medic. Works wonders.
Yeah, I figured this much out pretty quickly. I mean, it's common sense, really. I've also taken to disguising myself as a team member class, running into the fray, then cloaking behind a wall out of sight, switching to the opposing team disguise and then re-cloaking to work my way into the game. Takes a bit more coordination than I'm used to, but I'm slowly getting better at it.

Also, Giganticus, after watching you last night from the opposing team, I think you need to call for a medic a little bit less. I'm a terrible shot and kind of slow when it comes to this game, but I'm sure that smarter players would pick up on it. And yes, I know you got me to heal you a bunch, but I did realise that it was a little odd for you to be calling for a medic and did start shooting you.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Giganticus said:
Also, the class that's most likely to be behind everyone else and has the most limited tunnel vision (making them unlikely to spot themselves) is the Sniper. Cloak, run to snipers, uncloak, any passing enemy thinks "oh hay, snipers are back here". When the time is right, backstab sniper and run into the main pack, stabbing away.

EDIT: and when choosing disguise, think about where the class you're disguising as would normally be. And be there. Soldiers wont be hanging back, they'll be in the fray. Pyros hide round corners in nooks. etcetera, etcetera.

The edit would be my advice to a spy. As a soldier i don't have a single problem with being able to find a spy, i can look at someone and instantly know they are one. It's amazing :lol . But i think its because i know what certain classes should be doing in the current situation, if i see an engineer running in an odd direction, a rocket is put in his face, spy dead.

I fail at playing at a spy, but i can pick one out from miles away. Just try and blend in, be who the char you are playing should be.

firex

all right, GAF server really needs to get the plugin/setting that TheVille.org servers have that cuts your respawn time down by 10 seconds if it's a really long one. it makes maps more fun because it only gets rid of the retarded 12+ second respawn times.

1-D_FTW

evlcookie said:
The edit would be my advice to a spy. As a soldier i don't have a single problem with being able to find a spy, i can look at someone and instantly know they are one. It's amazing :lol . But i think its because i know what certain classes should be doing in the current situation, if i see an engineer running in an odd direction, a rocket is put in his face, spy dead.

I fail at playing at a spy, but i can pick one out from miles away. Just try and blend in, be who the char you are playing should be.

That's exactly me. My spydar is fantastic. But my limited tries at the spy were a disaster. So I just stick to killing them.

I'm going to continue being a Spy, with some of the tips I got from this thread. I still stand that it has a much higher learning curve than other classes.

Icy

Banned
firex said:
all right, GAF server really needs to get the plugin/setting that TheVille.org servers have that cuts your respawn time down by 10 seconds if it's a really long one. it makes maps more fun because it only gets rid of the retarded 12+ second respawn times.

we've done that. people didn't like it. especially when a team gets momentum going and is getting faster respawn defaults by the server, it gives them an almost instant respawn. So we went back.

Doytch

Icy said:
we've done that. people didn't like it. especially when a team gets momentum going and is getting faster respawn defaults by the server, it gives them an almost instant respawn. So we went back.

That one just set all the respawns to <5 seconds didn't it? He wants one that maxes the respawn at 10 seconds, which sounds like a good idea.

Fun game again tonight. I was on a roll for a bit as a heavy on hydro, but then I really tanked after that. Been working alot for the last four days and playing TF2 while tired really doesn't work :lol

It'd be nice to have some kind of dynamic respawn timer control that lowered times for a team that's getting dominated.

It might make fighting a hopeless battle a little more tolerable.

firex

yeah, what TheVille.org servers have is a plugin where if you get a respawn that's over 10 seconds, it'll knock it down by 10 at some point. helps a lot when early respawns are like 15+ and they get reduced to 5 or less. It'll still give a respawn up to like 7-8 seconds, just not one that's over 10 seconds.

Icy

Banned
Doytch said:
That one just set all the respawns to <5 seconds didn't it? He wants one that maxes the respawn at 10 seconds, which sounds like a good idea.

I did have it set for 10. I have the same plugin as theville.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Confidence Man said:
It'd be nice to have some kind of dynamic respawn timer control that lowered times for a team that's getting dominated.

It might make fighting a hopeless battle a little more tolerable.
At the same time, without a delay killing people just relocates them, and a hard fought victory doesn't actually gain your team much of anything.

firex

hmm. well, however they have it set up on the different TheVille servers (there's like 8 of them) the timer seems different than when the GAF servers had near-instant respawns. I mean sometimes the respawns are too quick, but usually it only kicks in if the timer is over 10 seconds, so there are still long respawns. Just not the kind where a team can rush across the entire map before you respawn...

WARCOCK

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Wow warcock, way to be a dick...

Wow what is wrong with you, it was like 7 vs 2 and everybody was defending. Threatening them to push so the game can end and everyone can play = DICTATORSHIPZ!!!1 I wont ban anyone for insulting me, but wow keep it civil and so will i.

Cheeto

WARCOCK said:
Wow what is wrong with you, it was like 7 vs 2 and everybody was defending. Threatening them to push so the game can end and everyone can play = DICTATORSHIPZ!!!1 I wont ban anyone for insulting me, but wow keep it civil and so will i.
We were charging up at a dispenser for like 5 seconds. And what I said was a joke, if your insulted by that then you should quit the internet.

Sudden Death with no sentries would be cool. Engineers would still be quite useful as they can build dispensers and teleporters to allow survivors to move around. Or maybe just level 1 sentries.

Twig

Banned
omgawdz I <3 spy

Was playing on castle, and seriously hurting the other team. I'd have to say that spy is much easier to learn and to use when there's a bigger area. OBVIOUSLY.

But yeah, was having a blast, like when I started playing for the very first time and played spy considerably more. <3

This has probably been said before, but Granary really sucks. Even the slightest difference in skill for the teams means the map is a steamroll.

Basically, let's say Red takes the mid point. Their spawn moves forward, so the battle now comes over the second Blue point. Blue can never move forward from there as the midpoint is now too close to the enemy's spawn, they are spawning much faster and the midpoint takes too long to capture. So all they can do is defend their second point. Due to respawn timers, shorter capture times and the nature of the map's design (which makes it hard to turtle), they'll lose that point too. And so on to the last point which takes about 2 seconds to capture when Blue is facing a 25 second respawn time.

I think basically Valve has put too much emphasis on having one team win on some maps rather than having players having fun for a long time and Granary is the best/worst example. If there's no chance in winning and all you're gonna get is a loss in under 2 minutes (of which you'll spend half of that spawning) then there's no fun.

And yeah, Castle kicks ass for spies and is probably a good place to learn. Really wide corridors and the flow of the level means it's unlikely you'll have to run through crossfire to get behind your enemy. Compare that to the level on Hydro where everyone has to go along the top ledge area to the enemy base (Satellite vs. Generator) and you can't even get through without a spamming demo or soldier killing you or some of Dustbowl's extremely narrow corridors and lack of any real nook to decloak in safely.

Yea that granary match was absurd, what was it like 9-0? The one time ya'll skipped past the front line to grab mid you just ate a wave of respawns and died. Also being a teams sole medic is more than a little maddening. Especially when half of em are fucking scouts.

First time playing on the server tonight, the slow respawns slow auto-balance are just brutal. It was staying 10vs5 and such for just way too long.

Kraesen

Richardfun said:
Fun game again tonight. I was on a roll for a bit as a heavy on hydro, but then I really tanked after that. Been working alot for the last four days and playing TF2 while tired really doesn't work :lol

Yeah it was very fun, althought I seemed to always come in the dominated team, maybe it was my fault :lol .

1-D_FTW

Giganticus said:
This has probably been said before, but Granary really sucks. Even the slightest difference in skill for the teams means the map is a steamroll.

Basically, let's say Red takes the mid point. Their spawn moves forward, so the battle now comes over the second Blue point. Blue can never move forward from there as the midpoint is now too close to the enemy's spawn, they are spawning much faster and the midpoint takes too long to capture. So all they can do is defend their second point. Due to respawn timers, shorter capture times and the nature of the map's design (which makes it hard to turtle), they'll lose that point too. And so on to the last point which takes about 2 seconds to capture when Blue is facing a 25 second respawn time.

I think basically Valve has put too much emphasis on having one team win on some maps rather than having players having fun for a long time and Granary is the best/worst example. If there's no chance in winning and all you're gonna get is a loss in under 2 minutes (of which you'll spend half of that spawning) then there's no fun.

And yeah, Castle kicks ass for spies and is probably a good place to learn. Really wide corridors and the flow of the level means it's unlikely you'll have to run through crossfire to get behind your enemy. Compare that to the level on Hydro where everyone has to go along the top ledge area to the enemy base (Satellite vs. Generator) and you can't even get through without a spamming demo or soldier killing you or some of Dustbowl's extremely narrow corridors and lack of any real nook to decloak in safely.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's solely related to skill either. If one team has 2 or 3 medics and the other team has one, it's game over for that too. Basically, anything that allows you to survive the capture of the middle CP wins you the game.

As I've stated before, I enjoy 2fort more than granary now. At least 2fort has some charm and personality. Granary is just a boring ass map that's now also become the ultimate gimmick map. If this were a user mod map, it'd be ridiculed as crap and on no servers.

Kraesen

1-D_FTW said:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's solely related to skill either. If one team has 2 or 3 medics and the other team has one, it's game over for that too. Basically, anything that allows you to survive the capture of the middle CP wins you the game.

Thats why we need more good scout players that knows what they do, skilled scouts can easily take out medics fast because of their speed and scattergun. If a medic ubercharge then the scout can come behind the medic and wait it out then kill him and retreat, leaving the ubercharged one without medic support, this isnt always possible ofcourse but when it is its very effective.

My opinion of scouts is that they are more an harassing class than a capturing class, when I play scout I often run around and try to create so much chaos as possible for the enemies and killing enemy medics, snipers and spies are my first priority. Harrasing I mean like for an example on gravelpit when the defenders are defending A or B I usually try to run to their base destroying their teleports and killing some classes that have a hard time with scouts, then when a heavy or a soldier I dont think I can take out comes I retreat and wait for them to leave then I harass again.

Snipers are also good at taking out medics but the biggest problem for them is when the medic hides behind a heavy or a wall etc, but scouts can overcome that issue. I really hope more players become skilled with scout.

Twig

Banned
Psh, I take out more medics as demoman than I ever can as scout. Demoman is fast enough to get to the midpoint on Granary before it's capped, and I just spam stickybombs to drop the early scouts, then take out the medics with my grenade launcher, if I survive long enough. And if not, well, I can usually get back still.

But then again, I'm not a good scout.

Also I like Granary the MAP, but I agree that it needs to be more balanced.

Icy

Banned
I just threw this on Granary

SetClassLimit "random" "0"
SetClassLimit "scout" "1"
SetClassLimit "sniper" "2"
SetClassLimit "heavyweapons" "2"
SetClassLimit "soldier" "3"
SetClassLimit "demoman" "3"
SetClassLimit "spy" "1"
SetClassLimit "medic" "1"
SetClassLimit "pyro" "2"
SetClassLimit "engineer" "2"

Icy

Banned
all other maps have been adjusted to:

SetClassLimit "random" "0"
SetClassLimit "scout" "3"
SetClassLimit "sniper" "3"
SetClassLimit "heavyweapons" "3"
SetClassLimit "soldier" "4"
SetClassLimit "demoman" "4"
SetClassLimit "spy" "2"
SetClassLimit "medic" "3"
SetClassLimit "pyro" "4"
SetClassLimit "engineer" "3"

Twig

Banned
Is there any reason random is off? Or does it break the other class limits, i.e. if there is already one spy on granary, picking random sometimes creates a second spy?

If not, I'm sad. I like random.

Kraesen

TheOneGuy said:
Is there any reason random is off? Or does it break the other class limits, i.e. if there is already one spy on granary, picking random sometimes creates a second spy?

If not, I'm sad. I like random.

Doesnt SetClassLimit "random" "0" mean that it isnt a limit ?

1-D_FTW

That explains what happened. I saw the server was full at 24, went to play Frontlines for 15 minutes, and came back to only one player in the room. We never could fill it back up:(

1-D_FTW said:
That explains what happened. I saw the server was full at 24, went to play Frontlines for 15 minutes, and came back to only one player in the room. We never could fill it back up:(

Yeah, too bad. I was really looking forward to some TF2 :D

1-D_FTW

And it certainly wasn't my best playing ever. It was funny when I told both teams we need to spawn as soldiers and rocket jump C. Figured Confidence Man was really gonna rig the CP after that gaffe.

And then you wait for me in the shed to do it, and I missed the 1st freaking roof. WTF! How the hell do you miss the 1st shed roof?

Oh well, at least we got to defend and I got to return the domination favor to Confidence Man.

1-D_FTW said:
And it certainly wasn't my best playing ever. It was funny when I told both teams we need to spawn as soldiers and rocket jump C. Figured Confidence Man was really gonna rig the CP after that gaffe.

And then you wait for me in the shed to do it, and I missed the 1st freaking roof. WTF! How the hell do you miss the 1st shed roof?

Oh well, at least we got to defend and I got to return the domination favor to Confidence Man.

I'd rig it anyway. ;)

Haha yeah...i love killing you guys =) Is there no way to change my username/add a signature to let you guys know what my TF2 name is?
Edit: P.S:Icy i really dont like the 10sec max respawn, but that decision is up to you
-ulcajun

1-D_FTW

jeremy70583 said:
Haha yeah...i love killing you guys =) Is there no way to change my username/add a signature to let you guys know what my TF2 name is?
Edit: P.S:Icy i really dont like the 10sec max respawn, but that decision is up to you
-ulcajun

I think you were one of the dudes on the "non-gaf" team that was giving us trouble. The name sounds familiar. If so, people will quickly learn it.

Thermite

Here's some screenshots I took while playing a game with Javaman, Joe, and Storyteller:

73pfw2f.jpg

71ozfyp.jpg

6xzz75v.jpg

Attack of the giant sentry cometh. :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom