• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeto

FACEPALM.JPG

Javaman

I'm liking the new non-crit mode on the server, even if it does nurf the engineer slightly. Really though my only complaint about the crits were how often the solder seemed to get them. I think it would be a pretty good balance if there were a way to reduce the number of critical rockets by 1/3 while keeping everything else the same.

Teknopathetic said:
"Why even have a tournament in the first place? Let's just play CS instead or something."

Scouts are just playing CS at 2x game speed.
What? You're dead wrong, TF2's balance is as near as perfect gets.

I don't think Icy's being serious.

Xizk

Need some headset suggestions. Richardfun has been on my back about getting a mic so I've finally decided to get one.

Doytch

Javaman said:
I'm liking the new non-crit mode on the server, even if it does nurf the engineer slightly. Really though my only complaint about the crits were how often the solder seemed to get them. I think it would be a pretty good balance if there were a way to reduce the number of critical rockets by 1/3 while keeping everything else the same.

http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Note how for the most part, faster weapons have lower crit percentages than slower weapons in their respective class(melee, ranged). Crits are balanced between themselves. Crits themselves are a personal preference.

I think the game is incredibly well-balanced in it's vanilla form at the moment. I thought the faster respawn would be better, but after seeing it's effects, it seems that any mods just weaken the experience. Similar to how we all complained about SD at the beginning, but now when Well ends in a stalemate, it doesn't feel like there's any resolution and you notice that people would prefer if SD was on.

Cheeto

Xizk said:
Demoman spam is getting quite ridiculous on dustbowl lately.
Dustbowl is haven for scrub demos. Every map has certain quirks that attract certain classes' scrubs. Granary seems to be scout, 2fort is Sniper, Dustbowl is demoman, Hydro is Engy, and Well is spy. Gravelpit is the only one I can't think of an overused or exploitable class for.

Doytch said:
I think the game is incredibly well-balanced in it's vanilla form at the moment. I thought the faster respawn would be better, but after seeing it's effects, it seems that any mods just weaken the experience. Similar to how we all complained about SD at the beginning, but now when Well ends in a stalemate, it doesn't feel like there's any resolution and you notice that people would prefer if SD was on.
No, no no no...Sudden death is garbage...well actually, its probably more the fault of the people playing it. Everyone just camps around the choke points, it's just boring and I'd rather have the insta-stalemate then watch a bunch of people camp for 5 minutes. To supplement though, I think longer time limits on SD maps would be nice.

Twig

Banned
Doytch said:
I hate normal sudden death and always will. Especially with non-aggressive engies. \:

However! I love melee-only SD, and I wish Icy had never gotten rid of it. Especially if it forces everyone to be the same class, so it's all perfectly balanced, but still fun. Just a wacky, zany sort of fun.

Cheeto

TheOneGuy said:
However! I love melee-only SD, and I wish Icy had never gotten rid of it. Especially if it forces everyone to be the same class, so it's all perfectly balanced, but still fun. Just a wacky, zany sort of fun.
Yes that is awesome. All pyros in a melee only sudden death would rock.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Melee-only sudden death gets old REALLY fast. Sorry.

For the record, I'm OK with the no-crit mod right now. Concerns about heavy+medic are valid, but also consider the fact that the heavy isn't getting crits either. Not only was I able to defeat a heavy+medic with some help last night, but I ran up to the final point on dustbowl to finish a cap while being pummeled with bullets. The crazy thing still works sometimes! For me it's not about bitching about soldiers, it's about all the times I randomly die when I might have been able to take action otherwise, be it randomly being punked by a scout or suddenly getting killed by stray minigun bullets when I'm one foot away from cover.

On the other hand, crits empower force in numbers over force in skill, as five people rolling the dice are going to get a crit far more than the one person they are up against, and this encourages teamwork over going rambo... but the lone guy was already at a huge disadvantage and Valve seems to LOVE making things as one-sided as possible(Exhibit A: Granary). Really, the idea of momentum means that one good person can't easily balance the game against a stacked team, and I've had enough frustrating nights where I was that one person.

Anyway, my offensive ability is enough that I don't need crits, and others not having them seems to help me more than me having them. :D

Icy

Banned
trh said:
the "crit" text came up, is that supposed to happen?

yes as I can't change the client side saying its a crit. But on the server its physically altering the dmg to normal.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Melee-only sudden death gets old REALLY fast. Sorry.

For the record, I'm OK with the no-crit mod right now. Concerns about heavy+medic are valid, but also consider the fact that the heavy isn't getting crits either. Not only was I able to defeat a heavy+medic with some help last night, but I ran up to the final point on dustbowl to finish a cap while being pummeled with bullets. The crazy thing still works sometimes! For me it's not about bitching about soldiers, it's about all the times I randomly die when I might have been able to take action otherwise, be it randomly being punked by a scout or suddenly getting killed by stray minigun bullets when I'm one foot away from cover.

On the other hand, crits empower force in numbers over force in skill, as five people rolling the dice are going to get a crit far more than the one person they are up against, and this encourages teamwork over going rambo... but the lone guy was already at a huge disadvantage and Valve seems to LOVE making things as one-sided as possible(Exhibit A: Granary). Really, the idea of momentum means that one good person can't easily balance the game against a stacked team, and I've had enough frustrating nights where I was that one person.

Anyway, my offensive ability is enough that I don't need crits, and others not having them seems to help me more than me having them. :D

It's entirely possible I'll feel this way once I hop back on (although if you're still playing sniper, I'll never know your perspective.) I know we had a period without crits (and lots of arguements a gazillion pages back) and didn't really care then when in-game.

Also a good point about the heavy not having them. I never see his crits, so I have no idea when he's doing it. I just got annoyed because scrubs on the scoreboard constantly complaining about rocket crits when playing and the Valve stats clearly point out no class is unbalanced there... just that some are easily seen and give sucky players built in excuses.

Now that I really know the maps well again, I have half a mind to go back to pyro. Just to let them bitch about that. I remember when more good players played pyro. You had guys like Shawn Elliot saying it was the ultimate noob class cause anyone could dominate the scoreboard with that overpowered class. People like to bitch. And slow moving glows give them great opportunities.

EDIT: Posted before I saw Tre's comment. Still doesn't change last paragraph. I know I get my least amount of crits against pyros and that the vast majority of pyros on gaf servers SUCK. Frontal assaults from 500 yards away = death. Some of the guys on the gaf server need to medic Tre and see how you play pyro effectively.

Actually just to agree with you and his ban. This guy is constantly being an asshole on the server, so that is probably the reason for his ban.

Haha, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by yelling at you, Pillow. But you were playing like a baby with blocks glued to the end of its fingers, so I really had no choice.

I just got annoyed because scrubs on the scoreboard constantly complaining about rocket crits when playing and the Valve stats clearly point out no class is unbalanced there...

The problem with solider rocket crits isn't their frequency, it's how a rocket explodes no matter what it hits. Soldiers constantly hit the wall or the ground with crits, and since the rocket does so much damage it's still an instant kill.

But this always annoyed me just as much as engies or scouts one shotting me from across the map.

Crits are completely ridiculous because they have nothing to do with skill. I never understood why Valve felt the need to put a completely random element into the game.

Crits should occur when you hit someone in the head and only when you hit someone in the head. The game would be perfect.

1-D_FTW said:
It's entirely possible I'll feel this way once I hop back on (although if you're still playing sniper, I'll never know your perspective.) I know we had a period without crits (and lots of arguements a gazillion pages back) and didn't really care then when in-game.

Also a good point about the heavy not having them. I never see his crits, so I have no idea when he's doing it. I just got annoyed because scrubs on the scoreboard constantly complaining about rocket crits when playing and the Valve stats clearly point out no class is unbalanced there... just that some are easily seen and give sucky players built in excuses.

Now that I really know the maps well again, I have half a mind to go back to pyro. Just to let them bitch about that. I remember when more good players played pyro. You had guys like Shawn Elliot saying it was the ultimate noob class cause anyone could dominate the scoreboard with that overpowered class. People like to bitch. And slow moving glows give them great opportunities.

EDIT: Posted before I saw Tre's comment. Still doesn't change last paragraph. I know I get my least amount of crits against pyros and that the vast majority of pyros on gaf servers SUCK. Frontal assaults from 500 yards away = death. Some of the guys on the gaf server need to medic Tre and see how you play pyro effectively.
:lol That much is true, the majority of pyros are terrible.

Pyro was never overpowered, no matter what Shawn Elliot said. They were no longer free kills and that bothered people. Even now they're still fairly easy to beat.

Icy

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Pyro was never overpowered, no matter what Shawn Elliot said. They were no longer free kills and that bothered people. Even now they're still fairly easy to beat.

Who quotes fartofwar when it comes to FPS? c'mon now...

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:

I know. And I'm pretty sure his rants were pre-buff. I'm just saying that when people are getting beaten by somebody better than them, they manufacture an excuse. That's why I think I'm gonna try and go back to pyro, so I can listen to the scrubs bitch how the pyro is overpowered (even though he's clearly the worst character in the game.) We should form a pyro team one match and ambush everyone into submission. A pair of pyros constantly ambushing from behind/above and killing before the enemy could turn would be golden.

EDIT: In case I haven't made in clear enough, I'm not referring to people in this thread. Just the recent increase in whiners on the server.

I still think pyros need a buff, actually. I rarely die from a pyro unless the person playing is some kind of super star.

And with crits turned on, pyros are even worse off.

1-D_FTW said:
I know. And I'm pretty sure his rants were pre-buff. I'm just saying that when people are getting beaten by somebody better than them, they manufacture an excuse. That's why I think I'm gonna try and go back to pyro, so I can listen to the scrubs bitch how the pyro is overpowered (even though he's clearly the worst character in the game.) We should form a pyro team one match and ambush everyone into submission. A pair of pyros constantly ambushing from behind/above and killing before the enemy could turn would be golden.

EDIT: In case I haven't made in clear enough, I'm not referring to people in this thread. Just the recent increase in whiners on the server.
That pisses me off to no end. The "My team sucks" people, ugh, they're a huge part of the reason I've stopped playing. You know, instead of whining about it they could instead try to get some team effort going, or even give their teammate some tips.

Vulture : Apology accepted, I shouldnt have told you to shut up though. Just try to keep the screaming down, you raped my ears twice that night. Also, I wasnt playing like shit. 30 points in four minutes as engineer, is not playing like shit.

Vulture : Apology accepted, I shouldnt have told you to shut up though. Just try to keep the screaming down, you raped my ears twice that night. Also, I wasnt playing like shit. 30 points in four minutes as engineer, is not playing like shit.

Yeah, sorry about the screaming -- I get too emotional sometimes. It just pisses me off to no end when no one on the team communicates and then we get destroyed. Or when people have mics, but they don't turn them up loud enough, so I can never hear what they are saying.

Jacobi

Banned
Xizk said:
Need some headset suggestions. Richardfun has been on my back about getting a mic so I've finally decided to get one.
Use a logitech one. And spend like 30 Euros (Swedes have something else?? Kronen???). My 15 Euro one is shite.

Jacobi

Banned
vultureparade said:
I still think pyros need a buff, actually. I rarely die from a pyro unless the person playing is some kind of super star.

And with crits turned on, pyros are even worse off.
Pyros are good in some hydro levels and capture points in houses (dustbowl, gravel pit)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D: To be clear, I was playing soldier last night.

Also a good point about the heavy not having them. I never see his crits, so I have no idea when he's doing it.
Oh, it's easy to tell, especially when you've taken a couple bullets that do normal damage then suddenly your life bar crashes. I've never had a problem discerning whether or not I've been hit by a crit and I've played every class enough to know what it's like when I'm getting them, which is the reason I've never bitched about one class out-critting others.

Now that I think about it, is that what the problem is? Are people simply not paying attention to weapon effectiveness? I'd hate to think that. :p

firex

I've kind of changed my stance on the pyro. I used to feel like it did need some kind of buff (or just a more accurate secondary weapon) but really, as long as there are good sneaking lanes in a map, pyro is fine. It's just that most maps don't have good ambush lanes, or at least ones that are good for a pyro.

And sometimes in order to be good at ambushing, you almost have to camp a spot for 30 seconds or so before moving on. I think it's a lot like playing a spy, just with less of a bag of tricks and more pure power behind your tricky ambushes. ... of course, I suck at playing spy, so that probably says more than needs to be said about how I play pyro.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Rlan said:
Borys said:
So anybody figured this out? I'm also interested in what are those files. You sure you didn't bout the MAC version (if such version even exists )?

This happens when I backup discs as well - the EXE isn't chucked on there. It's weird.

You'll have to copy the files to your HDD into a folder, then add this file:

http://support.steampowered.com/downloads/faq/275/steambackup.exe

Well steam downloaded/installed most of the gamefiles so it's not really a big deal. Thanks for that link robably use it for Portal.

TF2 is a blast to play!

I have this Sennheiser one, and while it's more expensive, it's really an awesome/comfortable headset that's held up well with constant use for about three or so years now.

The sound quality for both the headphones and the mic is excellent. And, as stated before in this thread, I like tend to scream into it a lot, but I have yet to blow anything out.

The only complaint I have about it is that the foam across the top where it sits on your head peals away slightly every now and then, but it's easy to fix by just pressing it back up into the groove on the underside.

Everyone should have a mic for TF2. And please, for the love of god, turn it up so people can actually hear what you're saying.

firex

I had a mic and used it once, and nobody could hear me and I was dumb and just thought it didn't work. then I realized my mic output volume was like knocked down next to nothing, and now it actually works.

but I'm still pretty quiet when it comes to voice chat.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think I'm having a bit more fun with crits out of the game, as engagements can go on longer without somebody randomly dying.

Firestorm

MrPing1000 said:
Played for the first time in a few months.

I've still got it.

I don't. I've been feeling so off my game that it's not even fun to play. I just drop in and then back out after a few minutes of frustration.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
1-D: To be clear, I was playing soldier last night.

Oh, it's easy to tell, especially when you've taken a couple bullets that do normal damage then suddenly your life bar crashes. I've never had a problem discerning whether or not I've been hit by a crit and I've played every class enough to know what it's like when I'm getting them, which is the reason I've never bitched about one class out-critting others.

Now that I think about it, is that what the problem is? Are people simply not paying attention to weapon effectiveness? I'd hate to think that. :p

It's why I maintain they single out the rocket. They can see it. I never bitch about crits even though I know when I've been critted by other classes. When I said see, I literally meant see. I know when I've been struck by heavies, I just don't have visual clues to know the frequency like I do with soldier or demoman (since you can visually see those.) I just know to stay the hell away, because when they get you in the open, duel is over. But since they have the same rate as the rest of the classes, and they fire so rapidly, are they firing crits once every 20 shots? I never really thought they were getting crits every time they shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom