• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xizk

3 Engineers is a little too much IMO. So I agree with Teknopathetic.

EDIT: Sniper and Spy would get no use because I doubt any team would want to be without a medic.

Wait are you trying to say that you can have one spy and one sniper at the same time? As in, you can have two soldiers and two scouts. The way you wrote it makes it seem as if there is a limit to the ammount of assault classes, ie each team can only have two "assault classes".

Icy

Banned
Examples

There can only be 1 spy or 1 sniper or 1 medic on a team at a time

There can be any combination of Assault classes just no more than 2 TOTAl

Same for defense just a LIMIT of 3 period.

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:
The scout is actually very powerful, kills most classes in 2-4 hits, for comparison's sake it takes 2-3 hits from a soldier to kill the majority of classes . Just be sure to time your shots so that you don't miss, and to aim for the head, it's also important to be somewhat close to the target. If you ever play the class again, work on your ambushing tactics, and work on deliberate use of his speed.

I'm glad you're liking the game though :D

Nakedsushi : If you want to play against skilled players CircleX Gaming #1 is pretty good. I can always get a good game there. I remember you were really good at engineer back when the beta started so im sure you'll be able to hold your own.

Just spent 30 minutes on that server and I'm really impressed. I now respect the power of the scout. Trying to attack Gravel Pit C with swarms of skilled scouts buzzing around you is something I've never witnessed before. Added to favorites.

I even got flamed a couple of times. My lazy habits against pyros got me killed twice.

Firestorm

I need the Sentry and Dustbowl achievement. I almost got the sentry one yesterday but one of you a-holes destroyed it after the 9th kill ;_; Dustbowl just seems so impossible.

I don't really like the support class restriction. No Medic + Sniper? Pretty much bans snipers. And spies, but I can't see spies being useful.

Doytch

Firestorm said:
I need the Sentry and Dustbowl achievement. I almost got the sentry one yesterday but one of you a-holes destroyed it after the 9th kill ;_; Dustbowl just seems so impossible.

I don't really like the support class restriction. No Medic + Sniper? Pretty much bans snipers. And spies, but I can't see spies being useful.

I got that one a few days back on the ledge where they added the stairs at stage 3 Dustbowl. Great spot because the attackers shoot the sg by the spawn point and yours is relatively safe.

Xizk

Shot N0b four times in the back as scout before he even got the chance to react and I am the one who dies, wtf. Scouts are broken without crits and soldiers are almost made better because there is not much to fear.

Icy

Banned
Xizk said:
Shot N0b four times in the back as scout before he even got the chance to react and I am the one who dies, wtf. Scouts are broken without crits and soldiers are almost made better because there is not much to fear.

so how did we go from

crits don't happen often, to wow scouts are powerful, to scouts are broken without them since its pure randomness?

Tip: MOVE YOUR ASS AS A SCOUT.. ie LEARN TO PLAY.

1-D_FTW

Xizk said:

But snipers are untouched and that's what's important.

I believe Valve intentionally weakened normal shots because they also factored in crits for the balance. Anything that touches some classes and not others is just stupid. But crits are the win button.

Or not.

Xizk

If a scout takes on a soldier head on he's as good as dead. He has to sneak up on them from behind, which is what I did. And now that even that doesn't work I'm not sure how you're suggesting that I learn to play scout. At least sniper is untouched so I've been having some fun playing that.

WARCOCK

Banned
Xizk said:
If a scout takes on a soldier head on he's as good as dead. He has to sneak up on them from behind, which is what I did. And now that even that doesn't work I'm not sure how you're suggesting that I learn to play scout. At least sniper is untouched so I've been having some fun playing that.

Agree with what you said and ill add that you are a good scout :/. But tbh this soldier stuff was the same pre-crit or not. You unload 2-3 buckshots and then they realize you are here shoot the ground and you are over... its totally lame.

Xizk

Yeah but before I used to take out other guys and staying alive to get my crit chances up and then I started taking down soldiers and heavies.

Twig

Banned
Icy said:
Tip: MOVE YOUR ASS AS A SCOUT.. ie LEARN TO PLAY.
I hope you aren't serious. Xizk frequently kicked my ass as a scout, no matter what I was. Before you removed crits. He may not be the best (actually I can't recall any other good scouts off the top of my head, but I have a horrible memory), but he knows how to play scout.

Doytch

Seriously, when I play Scout, I play it as a harassing class. I'll jump behind a crowd, fire off a few shots, and if I crit, I'll stay fight a bit longer. Otherwise I'll pull out, heal up, circle and repeat. You just can't do that and you're forced to pick fights that you know you can win without a crit. It's not the same as another class because another class doesn't have the luxury of buggering out if they didn't get lucky. That's why you see Scouts taking on Soldiers or a couple of people sometimes.

Bottom line, scouts aren't really that effective anymore. And Icy, don't tell people to learn to play a class you don't play. It's like me telling Java how to play Engie. :D

Dave Long

Banned
I guess I'm just a little concerned that Valve has, you know, tested this game for quite awhile, and changing things as radically as removing a system they built in to add damage might cause things to be a little unbalanced.

Not saying that the base game is perfect. I much preferred the way grenades worked before the no-bounce nerf (which I might add was like Quake 1, where Team Fortress evolved from and was pretty damn balanced), but I adjusted to the new way. On the other hand, removing critical hits, which added a nice element of "OH YEAH!" every now and then might have a bigger effect on balance.

Either way, you guys should play some Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It's got even more teamwork and weapon accuracy importance than TF2. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Scouts are still very effective against soldiers when teamed up with another class, AND MIX UP SINGLE AND DOUBLE JUMPS. Do not count on pure speed to save you, as it just means I have to lead the shot a little more. You've got to be erratic, and those kinds of scouts are the ones that give me no end of trouble, even without being hit by a crit.

Although I must admit you're kinda screwed in confined areas, but that's like a pyro in open areas.

(Speaking as a soldier who has faced a handful of good scouts, rather than as one who's actually a good scout himself, of course)

Capndrake

Doytch said:
That damned Gravelpit achievement is the last one I need. I should've gotten it twice already, damned auto switch. :( Defend A people!
If you don't mind cheating, you can make a game yourself and just run around on defence the whole time until it's over.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dave Long said:
I guess I'm just a little concerned that Valve has, you know, tested this game for quite awhile, and changing things as radically as removing a system they built in to add damage might cause things to be a little unbalanced.
Like granary, right? :p

WARCOCK

Banned
ya um icy is there any way to turn ping compensation off. The delay makes snipers with like 150+ ping pretty efficient :/. Getting shot through the head by delay ftl :/
They are also more difficult to hit, ghosting models :/

WARCOCK said:
ya um icy is there any way to turn ping compensation off. The delay makes snipers with like 150+ ping pretty efficient :/. Getting shot through the head by delay ftl :/

What's ping compensation?

Oh, and I must say I'm not a big fan of the crits disappearing. I liked it as an element of the game.

Xizk

Even I had problems with the ping compensation while having sniper battles with Cell while both our pings were around 160. Got Sniped even while behind cover.

Won

Jide said:
Does that apply to spy backstabs as well ?

Of course! At least against scouts. What scouts call a facestab is for me a stab into the air most of the time. :lol

But I'm noticing a lot of non-lethal backstabs too. Stabbed someone 2 times today an he didn't die. So yeah don't complain. I have my own issues. :p

And about crits and scouts. An engineer and a scout together have really hard time now stopping me from sapping a sentry till it goes boom. And a engineer alone is often just helpless. (Or I just got a bit better, who knows)

Ping compensation is a kind of netcode where instead of the server telling players they hit someone, the client tells the server they hit someone. Makes for much more even play across a variety of pings, but that also introduces the "WTF THROUGH THE WALL" shots.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Won said:
And about crits and scouts. An engineer and a scout together have really hard time now stopping me from sapping a sentry till it goes boom. And a engineer alone is often just helpless. (Or I just got a bit better, who knows)
What they should do is alternate wrench hits between the sentry and you. :p

Icy

Banned
WARCOCK said:

this is client side. Not server side.

rakka

Teknopathetic said:
Ping compensation is a kind of netcode where instead of the server telling players they hit someone, the client tells the server they hit someone. Makes for much more even play across a variety of pings, but that also introduces the "WTF THROUGH THE WALL" shots.
was this added recently?

because ive noticed (or at least i think) its much easier now for me to get kills on the gaf servers with my 250-300 ping than it was only a short while before

or was it a change in my own settings...

Icy

Banned
rakka said:
was this added recently?

because ive noticed (or at least i think) its much easier now for me to get kills on the gaf servers with my 250-300 ping than it was only a short while before

or was it a change in my own settings...

valve made changes to their code a patch or so ago.

Javaman

I don't remember who was playing on the Dustbowl (Set 2 cap 2) round a couple hours ago but they certainly gave us guys on blue a run for the money. Another eng and I were working on keeping the teleporters up and protected, but two spies kept taking out the teleporter entrance. Three times in a row I ran back and fixed the teleporter and used the same one to teleport back just in time to see an ubered heavy attacking our sentries. Was that a coincidence or were you guys coordinating the timing of the uber attacks to hit the sentries while we were gone?

Icy

Banned
I am going to be adding a couple of customs to the map cycle.

2fort is being readded, and I'm looking to add a few more CTF maps.

I've raised base damage across the floor for weapons due to the critless status. but they still don't do damage anywhere near a crit.

I"m changed the respawn system to see how it goes.
The default system has a player respawn 12-15 seconds (default without momentum) from the time they die. Server is respawning people in constant 10 second waves.

ie

Time: 12:00:00

Javaman dies @ 12:00:03
Hitokage dies @ 12:00:09
@ 12:00:10 both are repsawned.

I am also toying with the idea to turn FF on.

Icy

Banned
cp_castle2, cp_warpath, ctf_2fort has been added to the map cycle

vultureparade is the newest Admin. Still need 1 more, NON North American admin please. :)

Icy said:
I am going to be adding a couple of customs to the map cycle.

2fort is being readded, and I'm looking to add a few more CTF maps.

I've raised base damage across the floor for weapons due to the critless status. but they still don't do damage anywhere near a crit.

I"m changed the respawn system to see how it goes.
The default system has a player respawn 12-15 seconds (default without momentum) from the time they die. Server is respawning people in constant 10 second waves.

ie

Time: 12:00:00

Javaman dies @ 12:00:03
Hitokage dies @ 12:00:09
@ 12:00:10 both are repsawned.

I am also toying with the idea to turn FF on.
My Opinions: 2fort: boo!
Damage increase: not bad
Respawn: Hell no
FF: Im out of that happens.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Crits add a really nice element of tension and randomness to the game, not mention allowing the weaker classes to be able to sometimes turn the tables on the stronger ones. Valve did a great job putting them in and keeping everything balanced. Taking them out sucks alot of fun out of the game and slows down the frenetic pace those intense fire fights have.

If it's about skill, I've never seen a skilled player or team dominated by bad players who happened to luck out with crits. And if you're truly skilled at the game you'll take the presence of crits into account and adjust accordingly.

Oh and 2fort rocks.

Well, anyway, unfortunately I'm in the minority here but playing on GAF still beats most of the servers out there. Hope to play more after vacation. Haven't dropped by in a while.

Firestorm

yay 2fort
I don't like this damage increase.
I doubt I will like this new respawn timer.
no no no no no to friendly fire

Why do you keep changing things!

Davidion

Nothing wrong with 2fort.

Damage increase could be interesting, thought I think you'll have to tweak it to balance things out; soldiers and demomen will be even more relatively powerful, imo.

I'd love to see a slightly toned down respawn time. Something like 5-9 seconds uniform respawn time per death depending on the map seems sensible. You avoid the pitfalls of the short-respawn-ruining-dustbowl talk, and also not run into situations where you die and the enemy team can execute a relatively quick group tactical move, cap the point and you're still 5 seconds away from spawning.

Friendly fire...for a game like this which features copious amounts of random fireworks and spy detection, will be a very bad idea imo.

rakka

happy to hear 2forts back.

fine with damage increase, spawn timer, etc. as well.

but friendly fire --> :(

icy said:
valve made changes to their code a patch or so ago.
ah i see. makes playing on your server much more enjoyable

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
i assume you're testing things, but the damage increase as it is now is not good and headshots/backstabs doesn't work anymore.

firex

I played on FF servers on accident when it was still a cvar... it definitely breaks the game in bad ways. A lot of stuff you can kill people with on accident, far more easily than in other games with FF since TF2 has a ton of spread/scatter weapons and explosives.

Also, it really hurts the pyro and makes the spy overpowered.

n0b you are officially the funnest person to play with!

Our Trifecta of medics was on absolute fire! We were almost unbeatable. Those games were some of the most memorable i've had. The best part was when n0b turned on the other teams mics, so we were listening in on there conversations and strategies. So awesome. Until the 12 year old british kid living in France started to bug us with his constant whining.

n0b

Medic POWAAAH :D

trh said:
i assume you're testing things, but the damage increase as it is now is not good and headshots/backstabs doesn't work anymore.
Yeah I noticed backstabs not working for one spy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom