• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Icy said:
i don't remember that one??

It's the one that's CTF, but instead of a flag, you have to grab the enemy's alien and put him into this pod-thing in your own base. I think the bases were all sci-fi looking.

Twig

Banned
jeremy70583 said:
Just want to get a consensus...would anyone be interested in a new server with default everything(cept new maps) and ranks that would never reset?
-ULcajun
Ranks that never reset are stupid. It ends up that the people who play the most usually end up on top (not necessarily ALWAYS the case, just mostly). And any new player, even if they're good, pretty much has no chance of catching up to the original regulars.

Eh. I mean, you're welcome to play on such a server, but I wouldn't touch it with a nine-foot-pole. (Unless all the people I like playing with started going there. Ranks aren't that important.)

Xizk

You could set up stats that made it easier to get points for killing those higher up, while those at the top lose more points if they are killed by those with low rank. I'm sure you could find a balance that shows a more accurate rank, instead of just rewarding those that play much.

Davidion

Javaman said:
Was that the guy on Gravel pit the other night? He kept blabbing and blabbing about "strategy this, I'm going over here to do this, you guys do that". After about 10 minutes of it I noticed his score was 0 and kicked him. :lol :lol

:lol :lol That's hot.

About this whole default vs. custom settings issue: I'm not always too chuffed with the changes that Icy makes, but I think none of the horribly bad ones have ever been kept on the server for a long time. Realistically, crit-removal may be messy, but if done right (and I think it can be) the game can be made more skill-based and maybe even bring some different playing dynamic or two here and there. Nothing wrong with that. If you're not a fan of it, there are always other servers to play on and you can come back to the gaf server if you want skill-based play. :x

Seriously, the Gaf server is a bit more experimental but not bad by any means, no need for this to get all heated.

Jide said:
But I've uninstalled the game anyway. So you won't see me for a while. It's always nice to play with you guys.

Apparently due to the change in crits soldiers are played less now?

/me shrugs

P.S I hate warcock and that backstabbing WON.

:D

That sucks, I remember you as one of the really good heavies...who liked to kill me alot. Come back soon! *waves hankerchief*

edit: whoa, Casbah and Badlands, oldschool coming back all fierce-like

Twig

Banned
Xizk said:
You could set up stats that made it easier to get points for killing those higher up, while those at the top lose more points if they are killed by those with low rank. I'm sure you could find a balance that shows a more accurate rank, instead of just rewarding those that play much.
Oh, right, obvious solution, no wonder I'd miss it. d:
Davidion said:
Realistically, crit-removal may be messy, but if done right (and I think it can be) the game can be made more skill-based and maybe even bring some different playing dynamic or two here and there.
But you say that like having crits removes some element of skill. That is entirely untrue.

It can't be done without fucking with the game in a way that it's not meant to be fucked. Poor TF2 and its lost innocence. ):

Icy

Banned
Xizk said:

HLStats is already set that way.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jide said:
Whatever Hitokage, I only have one problem with TF2.... crits! Thats it, nothing else bothers me about the game. As much I hated crits, I still played the game didn't I? The only reason why you're taking it personally is because you play soldier exclusively from what I see. So I know you'll defend it quite strongly. I think fallout does too I'm sure I'm wrong there.
Feel free to look at my TF2 stats on steam. I spend the majority of my time as soldier, but it's hardly exclusive. (BTW, that 19 point record would be 25+ if not for a connection dropout.)

Are you getting the same amount of kills as before? If so then there really isn't a problem. If you aren't then hmm....
In as much as two games of TF2 can be compared, yes, generally I am. Actually, I'd argue a little more since other people aren't critting me.

Hitokage said:
Feel free to look at my TF2 stats on steam. I spend the majority of my time as soldier, but it's hardly exclusive.

In as much as two games of TF2 can be compared, yes, generally I am. Actually, I'd argue a little more since other people aren't critting me.
Actually my K: D with scout went from 1.5 to more than 2 when playing without crits. Its pretty much the same as Soldier though. It's alot easier to pop in kill a few people, and run away when everyone is dealing a lower amount of damage.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
But you say that like having crits removes some element of skill. That is entirely untrue.

It can't be done without fucking with the game in a way that it's not meant to be fucked. Poor TF2 and its lost innocence. ):

Hardly, but you have to admit that it lessens the chance of a random lucky kill. Like I said, it can bring some new possibilities, why not give it a chance?

I don't really mind either way, to be entirely honest. Unless the game mechanic is broke somehow, people will adapt. I just thought there wasn't much of a need for things to get heated.

Anyways, good games tonight. Won some, lost some...then the server farted.

Oh and N0b, you've never failed me... :'(

Dave Long

Banned
Good times tonight. I like watching the evolution of the "best place to put a Sentry Gun". You start to have it figured out, where you'll just know you should start firing rockets at one particular spot, and then Javaman found a new spot that gets you. Heh.

Javaman

Dave Long said:
Good times tonight. I like watching the evolution of the "best place to put a Sentry Gun". You start to have it figured out, where you'll just know you should start firing rockets at one particular spot, and then Javaman found a new spot that gets you. Heh.

Hehhe, Thanks.
I had a blast playing alongside everyone tonight. It's too bad that Dustbowl was cut off at set 4 cp 2. :(

Well helllllloooo there Mr. Popper!
8c30prk.jpg

Davidion

Javaman said:
Hehhe, Thanks.
I had a blast playing alongside everyone tonight. It's too bad that Dustbowl was cut off at set 4 cp 2. :(

You and your goddamn sentries on Dustbowl 1st cap. :lol Nice job though, I keep getting caught off guard by you.

I also enjoyed the meeting of the Demomen on the Gravel pit barn roof and the subsequent ruminating that occurred. :lol

Javaman

Davidion said:
You and your goddamn sentries on Dustbowl 1st cap. :lol Nice job though, I keep getting caught off guard by you.

I also enjoyed the meeting of the Demomen on the Gravel pit barn roof and the subsequent ruminating that occurred. :lol

You've really got to watch out for kak on warpath. Once he gets behind your lines, it's pretty much all over. That guy is one fast bastard.

I think the worst sentry I've come up with lately is on Warpath. I'm a fan of building a level 3 sentry and dispenser in the closed tunnel near the enemy's cap2 point. At the right moment the wall gets busted down and good times are had by all!

6qdbp52.jpg

Davidion

Javaman said:
You've really got to watch out for kak on warpath. Once he gets behind your lines, it's pretty much all over. That guy is one fast bastard.

I think the worst sentry I've come up with lately is on Warpath. I'm a fan of building a level 3 sentry and dispenser in the closed tunnel near the enemy's cap2 point. At the right moment the wall gets busted down and good times are had by all!

That's a good one. Though I've had the good fortune to have not been on the receiving end of that. :lol I used to love being an engy in TFC but I've yet to feel the same way about this in TF2; maybe I should take some lessons from you and others.

Yeah Kak is good, though he's better at being a Demoman imo. I'm trying to figure out if it's him or Confidence Man that's better at blowing me up into smithereens...

Javaman

Davidion said:
That's a good one. Though I've had the good fortune to have not been on the receiving end of that. :lol I used to love being an engy in TFC but I've yet to feel the same way about this in TF2; maybe I should take some lessons from you and others.

Yeah Kak is good, though he's better at being a Demoman imo. I'm trying to figure out if it's him or Confidence Man that's better at blowing me up into smithereens...

Yeah, it definitely plays a lot more different in TF2 then in TFC. Eng was my favorite in that one as well, pretty much for the same reasons as now... a semi-slow ping and older computer, along with more of a strategic gameplay. One big difference is how aggressive one needs to be in TF2. In the older game, it was pretty much a given that engs would hang out near their sentries, but with teleporters and dispensers so vital in keeping the front lines refreshed I think it's a lot more important to push forward with engineers in the newer one. The trick is to find a decent place and enough time to build it up. If you get caught with your pants <er> sentry down you'll both get toasted. On CP maps where it doesn't matter too much if an enemy gets behind you I try to be as aggressive as I can with the sentries, and get them as close to the front lines as I can without getting it destroyed.

One strategy I like doing is popping/pooping :lol out a sentry while running and under fire. If they enemy doesn't notice it, it'll start attacking him from another side, and if he does notice it, he'll have to divide his fire between the two of us. The turret will likely be toast after a shot or two, but if it buys me a couple of seconds of distraction, it may be all I need to take a heavy or other offensive class out.

Firestorm

Hitokage said:
It was on warpath, I think.

No, I meant that the game will not allow me to have more than 31. As soon as I get 32 teleports in a row, the count resets to 0 and starts again.

I finally got all my achievements today. Dustbowl defense was my last one and I just got it on a 24/7 Dustbowl server with my friends. Also set my new heal record, 5.8k.

Sciz

JoeMartin said:
I play as bhnd btw.

First time playing TF, ever, so don't go too hard on my terrible medic skills.

If you keep healing as well as you did tonight, you will be much loved and appreciated.

And on that note, I thought that Warpath round would never end. So much pushing back and forth, only to ultimately lose out to a ninja cap.

Hitokage said:
Oh, maybe it was before they made it so an engineer couldn't rack up points by teleporting himself a yard away.
It has been that way since the beta, AFIK it's only the counter that resets.

Joe: You were doing fine, the guy who was berating you was just an asshole. Also, all the tips he gave you, wipe them from your memory, they were mostly shit.

zoku88

Sciz said:
If you keep healing as well as you did tonight, you will be much loved and appreciated.

And on that note, I thought that Warpath round would never end. So much pushing back and forth, only to ultimately lose out to a ninja cap.
OMG, that was sooo long :-/

And that darn spy on the red team >_< Whoever that was, I hate you ;___; Oh, how many times I heard 'A spy is sapping my....'

I'm just kidding

Sciz said:
A very strategic and awesome ninja cap. By that point though I was content with my revenge on PillowKnight after trying for so long. There is nothing better than getting revenge as attack medic.

n0b

Davidion said:
Oh and N0b, you've never failed me... :'(

Sure I have. :p

I know my weakness, I'm way too reckless, so if I have a support medic I force them into a situation that I can't handle and get us both killed. If I could stand being more cautious I could probably double my k/d ratio.

yeb

Firestorm said:
Who was the one who wanted to change the sensitivity for sniper only when zoomed in? Found this command on LUELinks:

zoom_sensitivity_ratio 1

Changes your sensitivity only for when you're zoomed it. I assume it's a ratio to your regular sensitivity.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I haven't been able to play much lately, but to join the crits argument, I think I've slowly become numb to them. The instant I start actually thinking about how they affect the game though, I hate them.

I don't think crit rockets are even that bad compared to some other crits. The entire advantage of the soldier is that they can fight effectively at any range - the only way they're affected, is by how long their rockets have to travel. If you see a rocket coming at you from long range, it's harmless because you can dodge it, even if it is a crit. Dieing immediately to a crit rocket when you turn a corner sucks, but that's just spam; it's much worse to die from a crit in a situation where you have a definite positioning/range advantage that you worked to achieve.

I can see a heavy alone in an open area, and start fighting him from well outside of the range where he's a threat, and I can even have cover and health packs nearby. It's completely stupid for the heavy to even get himself into this situation, never mind stay and try to fight... unless he gets a crit. Then, it's like being backstabbed in the face from 30 paces away. I can see a pyro coming at me. He failed to attack by surprise, only getting close enough to hit me with the tip of his flame, so why do I deserve to be killed by a crit? Really, it's the way crits affect range that gets to me. They don't just increase damage, they throw multiple facets of the game mechanics completely out the window. I hate when I die through no fault of my own, and I feel guilty when I get a kill that I don't deserve because of pure luck.

Also, I don't buy the argument that it's fair because good players get more crits. Problem is, the more skilled player/team doesn't need luck in the first place. What are they going to do, win Granary 2 minutes faster when they get lucky? The outcome still doesn't change. When the lesser skilled team gets lucky though, the outcome actually can change - a few crits could let them take the middle point at the start of Granary, and then the other team is at major disadvantage that will extend for multiple lives. It's even worse when teams are actually even, because then crits might be the most important part in gaining momentum.

>_>
That ended up a lot longer than I expected it would. I don't think Icy really needs to tweak with every little thing that people complain about, but I do think the game's better without crits. I still have fun with the game when they're present, but I have more fun when they're not.

Jacobi

Banned
Hey, you got that nice ctf-map into rotation, Icy? And Boryz, I posted this yesterday and BTW it works for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe you can try it? Not sure if Americans know the difference between the countries ;) Although I think they can IP-detect

Xizk

One suggestion. Losing 30 points for dropping the flag is ridiculous. That just makes people not want to risk getting the flag.

Icy

Banned
Jacobi said:
I agree. You shouldn't get punished for bravery at all.

Do it as a team and you won't die?

hmm for some reason it wasn't showing right. now it is. its a team loss :)

ps.. damn website isn't showing the team values right. But anyways its a loss for the team.

n0b

The whole point of TF style ctf is any movement of the flag is useful to the team, so it rewards taking the risk to move the flag.

Icy

Banned
You get awarded for picking it up. However if you and your team fail to protect you and get you to turn it in, loss for the whole team.

Good game on Warpath last night but man, that map goes on FOREVER. The teams were pretty well balanced with the teams fighting for 3 back and forth.

Icy said:
Points have been reset. Made some large changes to the points system as a whole.

Aaah, so that's how I suddenly got into the top10 today. I was on my way last night, making it up to the 24th place. :lol

Fun game earlier today, I was on a roll. It's fun to be on a team that's on a roll for a sec, then switching to the other team the next round, and winning the round with the second team :D

It hurts though, seeing people get 50 points for killing me :D

Firestorm

Icy said:
You get awarded for picking it up. However if you and your team fail to protect you and get you to turn it in, loss for the whole team.

I disagree completely. The way I've done successful captures in 90% of 2fort games I play is by taking the flag as a lone spy, getting it as close to the entrance as possible, and then moving it closer and closer to our base. Usually it requires me (still spy) to get there invisible and reset the timer.

You should not lose so many points for resetting the flag. I'd pretty much lose all my points trying to help my team win.

PS: Could we make ranks not reset anymore? I know it's not fair to non-regulars, but ranks in servers really are made FOR regulars anyway. I don't really care too much about my rank on -Q- or TheVille servers, I just like to see how I stack up on IronFist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom