• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
*Begin rant*

I don't need them either. I just think the game is a heck of a lot more balanced when the game isn't constantly being balanced by somebody who stinks at the game and has no concept of what balance even means.

I was obviously one of the biggest proponents of crits in this thread. But it was done purely because it's a great game and ****ing up the balance cause somebody is board and stinks at the game annoyed me to no end. I also felt some of the motivation was to try and turn it into a game that was "unfairly" neglected. I was just begging to leave my TF2 alone, please.

I don't have issues with you, but that statement does irk me. It's not the first time I've felt their was some condensation towards me and I've had superior k/d ratios against you on every leaderboard we've had (Overall, I'd say my k/d ratio against you has been around 1.5/1. Stats are irrelevant since they can be misleading without context, but it backs up my thought that I won more duals than I lost in soldier-to-soldier meet ups.) My rub has always been with the Crappy Plugins TM and how they've constantly screwed up the balance or inadvertently broken things (considering how often this occurs, I"ll never be convinced the Well final CP borked timer wasn't related to them.) That's what I've always been subtly hinting at in my complaining. Heck, even my constant railing against 2fort. Having played it on other servers, it's probably my third favorite map. Global CTF settings that make the map never have a winner (But allow rotten custom maps to be more playable) suck.

So that's the genesis of my complaining. Not for selfish reasons of fattening my score, but because it's an awesome game and I was trying to subtly get Icy to change this or that. Crits were clearly part of this. Playing with the Gaf guys was a ton of fun for me, but I just wanted to do it in an environment where the admin was constantly messing up the balance.

*End rant*

Again, I've had a ton of fun playing with you gaffers these last couple months. A ton! Just wanted to clear my chest on this. Hopefully some of you don't look too down on me for this and we'll meet up again in Left 4 Dead. I'd enjoy that.
Ok, there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. I was not referring to you when I said that, and I admit it might be ambiguous if you only have the context of this thread, but I talk about TF2 with others both on IRC(a lot) and in-game(some), and there are quite a few people who will relentless whine and bitch about rocket crits to the exclusion of others, especially Tekno and Jide(babies both). It's a little tiring pointing out how every class gets them and just as much of it results in random kills, but no, only the soldier is the problem! So when I say I don't need crits, I'm not saying I'm better than other inferior soldiers that may or may not include you, I'm saying that as a soldier I'm not hitting a win button over and over and JUST MAYBE it takes some skill to be good at it in the first place.

I do understand where you're coming from on the rest, and Icy is clearly more interested in prodding TF2 players than playing TF2 himself. It was apparent early that TF2 isn't something we should rush to meddle with, including when it was clear that removing the respawn delay that many people complained about broke the game. I don't feel strongly enough about crits in general that I'll complain if they're brought back(as opposed to the uneven commentary on them), but I do feel that it's one of the changes that actually works and the real problem is making sure the changes STOP there, especially all the respawn tweaking. If this were CS everyone would be waiting a lot longer.

BTW, I actually don't care much about specific positions on the totem pole, class-specific or otherwise. I understand that certain people are probably better than me and I'm fine with that. You do have me curious though... ;)

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
Ok, there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. I was not referring to you when I said that, and I admit it might be ambiguous if you only have the context of this thread, but I talk about TF2 with others both on IRC(a lot) and in-game(some), and there are quite a few people who will relentless whine and bitch about rocket crits to the exclusion of others, especially Tekno and Jide(babies both). It's a little tiring pointing out how every class gets them and just as much of it results in random kills, but no, only the soldier is the problem! So when I say I don't need crits, I'm not saying I'm better than other inferior soldiers that may or may not include you, I'm saying that as a soldier I'm not hitting a win button over and over and JUST MAYBE it takes some skill to be good at it in the first place.

I do understand where you're coming from on the rest, and Icy is clearly more interested in prodding TF2 players than playing TF2 himself. It was apparent early that TF2 isn't something we should rush to meddle with, including when it was clear that removing the respawn delay that many people complained about broke the game. I don't feel strongly enough about crits in general that I'll complain if they're brought back, but I do feel that it's one of the changes that actually works and the real problem is making sure the changes STOP there, especially all the respawn tweaking. If this were CS everyone would be waiting a lot longer.

BTW, I actually don't care much about specific positions on the totem pole, class-specific or otherwise. I understand that certain people are probably better than me and I'm fine with that. You do have me curious though... ;)

I can provide proof that 90% of the people here are better than me.

Hitokage said:

I do understand where you're coming from on the rest, and Icy is clearly more interested in prodding TF2 players than playing TF2 himself. It was apparent early that TF2 isn't something we should rush to meddle with, including when it was clear that removing the respawn delay that many people complained about broke the game. I don't feel strongly enough about crits in general that I'll complain if they're brought back(as opposed to the uneven commentary on them), but I do feel that it's one of the changes that actually works and the real problem is making sure the changes STOP there, especially all the respawn tweaking. If this were CS everyone would be waiting a lot longer.

I agree with your comment about the timers. I would like to see crits return, but that does not seem to be an option for Icy at the moment. Perhaps we could do a vote among the people with a reserved slot (i.e., the regulars) and see what people think. But the timers really should not be messed with IMO. Would really appreciate if those were reset to the original ones Icy.

Firestorm

I honestly like the game with no modifications. This includes criticals on. Sure they can be lame at times, but I'm fine with that.

Oh and Icy, since we never hit 24 members due to the reserved slot system, couldn't you make the player count in the server 25 or 26 max so we could get 12 v 12 again?

Won

Richardfun said:
I agree with your comment about the timers. I would like to see crits return, but that does not seem to be an option for Icy at the moment. Perhaps we could do a vote among the people with a reserved slot (i.e., the regulars) and see what people think. But the timers really should not be messed with IMO. Would really appreciate if those were reset to the original ones Icy.

Just played 2fort with the spawn timers and it is a mess. I kill a sniper and he is back on the roof in a few seconds. Cool for my stats. Bad for the map.

And class limits (the only decent server mod ;)) didn't work or did I miss a change?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, class limits. I fully support them, but more as a sanity check now rather than something to fine-tune team balance.

Cheeto

Hitokage said:
Oh yeah, class limits. I fully support them, but more as a sanity check now rather than something to fine-tune team balance.
I'd like them to be off. Just because I'd like to see what a team full of any class would be like...Just for fun.

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:

Timers are map/server default right now.

confidence man said:
Icy can you modify the frequency of criticals? Making them occur maybe half as often might be a good compromise.

Can't modify that, is server controlled without variables that are modifiable.

Firestorm said:
I honestly like the game with no modifications. This includes criticals on. Sure they can be lame at times, but I'm fine with that.

Oh and Icy, since we never hit 24 members due to the reserved slot system, couldn't you make the player count in the server 25 or 26 max so we could get 12 v 12 again?

Welcome to the shit storm Valve has gotten from server admins for 2 months now. There is no support or easy way to make aserver more than 24 players. The max is 24 period. Anything above requires some dll hacks and other stuff, which delists the server from the master list and also from showing up on your favorites,etc. You would have to manually use /connect from console. Otherwise I'd make the server 32 players with 8 reserve slots!

won said:
And class limits (the only decent server mod ;)) didn't work or did I miss a change?

Limits are still in place. I'm just not as nazi as I was before with them.

firex

I still believe there should be a mod for sudden death where everyone spawns as a spy and can't change to any other class!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TO BE FAIR, and a big reason I advocate restraint over stonewalling any and all changes, is that almost everyone in this thread has bitched about some aspect of TF2, be it crits, the respawn timer, having eight engineers on one team, sudden death being boring, the popularity of 2fort, the paucity of maps, the quality of custom maps, the server being empty when it was passworded, the server being full of pubbers when it isn't, the overpowering of scouts with crits, the tedium of scouts without, the breaking of granary by valve, the stacking of teams, other sudden death issues, etc, etc, etc...

There are a lot of mixed signals in this thread, and as immature, reckless, and even sadistic as Icy can be, many of the changes made were in response to them. As the saying goes, when you have a hammer...

(Not the UT sounds and alerts though, nobody called for them, and I bet most people just want to know how to turn them off.)

Jacobi

Banned
No crits are pretty good though, because I really hated crit rockets.

My only grime with TF2 right now is that Valve still didn't release any new maps. That and that sometimes no one else has voice chat, so I don't use my mic.

Icy

Banned
firex said:
I still believe there should be a mod for sudden death where everyone spawns as a spy and can't change to any other class!

I can do that. We did that for a bit with medics and soldiers. I can do it again..

Hitokage said:
(Not the UT sounds and alerts though, nobody called for them, and I bet most people just want to know how to turn them off.)

Type quake into the console, not chat.

hitokage said:
TO BE FAIR, and a big reason I advocate restraint over stonewalling any and all changes, is that almost everyone in this thread has bitched about some aspect of TF2, be it crits, the respawn timer, having eight engineers on one team, sudden death being boring, the popularity of 2fort, the paucity of maps, the quality of custom maps, the server being empty when it was passworded, the server being full of pubbers when it isn't, the overpowering of scouts with crits, the tedium of scouts without, the breaking of granary by valve, the stacking of teams, other sudden death issues, etc, etc, etc...

There are a lot of mixed signals in this thread, and as immature, reckless, and even sadistic as Icy can be, many of the changes made were in response to them. As the saying goes, when you have a hammer...

I have fun coming up with new ways to do things, especially when its suggested. Can't knock it until we try it. And I'm pretty sure we've tried almost everything at this point at least once, sometimes twice.

firex

I mostly meant doing that just for laughs... it'd be funny as hell to do it and not tell anyone it was going to happen.

Icy

Banned
firex said:
I mostly meant doing that just for laughs... it'd be funny as hell to do it and not tell anyone it was going to happen.

"OMG THE SERVER WAS HACKED"

"JOEFU WTF DID U DO TO MY BOX"

"Oh yeah, class limits. I fully support them, but more as a sanity check now rather than something to fine-tune team balance."

I only support them because they seem to be needed as of late due to lack of teamwork. It's annoying to be attacking and your the only soldier where the rest of your team is pyro/engineer or you have like 4 snipers on a map that snipers aren't beneficial on... It's been starting to lessen again but I hate when no one wants to attack when your attacking...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Icy said:
I have fun coming up with new ways to do things, especially when its suggested. Can't knock it until we try it. And I'm pretty sure we've tried almost everything at this point at least once, sometimes twice.
At this point though most of us are burned out on the process of making our own tweaks and coming to realize that we're better off without much of them.

Firestorm

I've done a full pyro rush on granary and won. My friend once did a full medic rush after the new uber system on Dustbowl 1 and won :lol 12 Medics all with 100% charge.

"I've done a full pyro rush on granary and won. My friend once did a full medic rush after the new uber system on Dustbowl 1 and won 12 Medics all with 100% charge."

:lol O no, oddly enough we did win but it was weird we were getting destroyed and then in like the last minute and a half we overran all of the capture points but they're has been plenty of times were we just get destroyed instead. :lol

Icy

Banned
Just rebooted the server.

I missed the Sudden Death rounds, they've been readded.

Along with Pyro only restriction :D :D :D :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any tips for a brand new player? I just picked up Orange Box during the New Years sale. Playing through Portal (very good) and ready to try TF2.

Icy

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Along with Pyro only restriction "

:lol You bastard.

Edit: Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's forcing pyro only :D

i'll check it out when I get home when I can actually log in. Its only during sudden death.

Icy

Banned
Kintaro said:
Any tips for a brand new player? I just picked up Orange Box during the New Years sale. Playing through Portal (very good) and ready to try TF2.

Suck.. die.. and take it like a man or woman. :D :D

Borys

Banned
Could anyone with thread posting privileges post this on the Gaming Forum? Source is VE3D.com. This is big, I wonder if US/ UK will get any free-over-weekend STEAM games in the future?

TF2 becomes a FREE game for ZE GERMANS this WEEKEND (only)!

All gamers in Germany may experience what many are calling the best multiplayer game of 2007 during the Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend, offered exclusively to German gamers via Steam January 4th through 6th.

The Free Weekend is open to all gamers in Germany during the event. To participate, simply visit steamgames.com and install the free client. To maximize the free play time, Team Fortress 2 is available now for pre-loading, so players can have everything installed and ready to play the moment the Free Weekend begins on Friday, January 4.

The Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend in Germany will conclude on Sunday, January 6 and no purchase is required to participate in the free weekend.

Get the FREE client and play on this Saturday and Sunday without spending a single Deutshe Mark!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Been a long time since i have played on the gaf servers, seems like everyone's lost a few screws :lol . Might jump on again soon. Good to see its still going!

Icy

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
How are you doing reserved slots, Icy? My SteamID is Lukeman

:shrug:

Donaters get a reserved slot, neogaf people get a preffered player status. Which means they won't get bumped unless a server is full of preferred players and a reserved slot guy comes on.

You can PM me your steam id #. Not your steam id name. Above my avatar is a link with teamfortress 2 for you and you will find instructions there on how to get it.

I actually like respawning in 10-second waves, but I can see how that gets annoying when you infiltrate enemy base and all of a sudden, 5 enemies pop out of respawn at the same time. Maybe it works better in A/D and capture point maps than CTF maps.

The only thing that really irks me is the total lack of a way to mute certain people's mics. It's annoying to have someone on your team who's mic spamming with some Queen song for the ENTIRE game to the point where you can't hear anything else going on in the game. Then there was that one time where that guy was just talking NONSTOP over the mic about strategies and what not more than he was actually playing.

My kingdom for a selective mute button.

Just want to get a consensus...would anyone be interested in a new server with default everything(cept new maps) and ranks that would never reset?
-ULcajun

I'd add it to my favorites, it probably wont usurp Circle X gaming, but I would play on it. Oh and extra points if you implement "no whining" rules, and maybe some stats that sponsor team play.

Xizk

Yeah stats that favor team play would be awesome. Hopefully the server will be located on the east coast so that we euros can play without too high ping.

Xizk said:
Yeah stats that favor team play would be awesome. Hopefully the server will be located on the east coast so that we euros can play without too high ping.
Gimme some ideas...as in points per so many teleports? points for so much healing?

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:
I'd add it to my favorites, it probably wont usurp Circle X gaming, but I would play on it. Oh and extra points if you implement "no whining" rules, and maybe some stats that sponsor team play.

Do you know how Circle X stats work? I know I've been playing with some of the top players and I heard one guy talking about how he lost 45 points for being killed by a spy. I've also noticed I lost 11 points for being killed by a spy. Are points based on rankings and class/class kill combos? It's also cool the way there's military ranks. Seeing a dude with a shiny rank over his head is pretty cool.

EDIT: Not sure I actually lost 11 points. Just saw he got 11 points for the kill. It's like there's different point values on most of the kills... with 3-4 being the most common.

jeremy70583 said:
Just want to get a consensus...would anyone be interested in a new server with default everything(cept new maps) and ranks that would never reset?
-ULcajun

I definitely would. I may whine a lot in this thread, but give me the simple basics and I'm content.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:

Okay. I guess I'm guilty of one of the cardinal sins of message boards: taking a general statement and thinking it's applying to yourself. But obviously my general rant was the whack a mole that is plugins and mods.

Agree about your later post. Applying plugins is a complete Pandora's Box that once opened, is gonna lead to people constantly finding something they hate. And while I think crits are better for the game as currently balanced, it's my metaphor for all the plugins. The only way to guarantee sanity, is to just not go down that road. Default settings are like democracy: It may suck, but it sucks less than all the other forms of rule.

jeremy70583 said:
what is the ip to the server yall are talking about?

EDIT: So maybe like all stats, it's not the most reliable. Was MVP on 2fort with 50 points and it doesn't even log my time for playing that map. Still, as worthless as stats are, at least it's weighted and shiny medals are involved.

Jide

Whatever Hitokage, I only have one problem with TF2.... crits! Thats it, nothing else bothers me about the game. As much I hated crits, I still played the game didn't I? The only reason why you're taking it personally is because you play soldier exclusively from what I see. So I know you'll defend it quite strongly. I think fallout does too I'm sure I'm wrong there.

Are you getting the same amount of kills as before? If so then there really isn't a problem. If you aren't then hmm....

So you can call me a baby or whatever, *shrugs*.

Icy can put crits back on if he likes. I would still play and moan :lol

But I've uninstalled the game anyway. So you won't see me for a while. It's always nice to play with you guys.

Apparently due to the change in crits soldiers are played less now?

/me shrugs

P.S I hate warcock and that backstabbing WON.

:D

jeremy70583 said:
Gimme some ideas...as in points per so many teleports? points for so much healing?
Well that is pretty much a necessity if you want a reputable stats system. What I mean is reward players for winning on teams filled with players of lower skill levels.

I know there's probably no way to actually do this with the current tools.

But something along the lines of :
((playerppm-avgteampmm)+1) * X = points at victory
Points at victory is always >=0
ppm being points per minute. X being any multiplier could be two or three. The points are awarded at victory, so basically if your points per minute is higher than the average team points per minute, you get rewarded with extra points.

As for CircleX's stat system, I have no clue.

Javaman

nakedsushi said:
Then there was that one time where that guy was just talking NONSTOP over the mic about strategies and what not more than he was actually playing.

My kingdom for a selective mute button.

Was that the guy on Gravel pit the other night? He kept blabbing and blabbing about "strategy this, I'm going over here to do this, you guys do that". After about 10 minutes of it I noticed his score was 0 and kicked him. :lol :lol

Javaman said:
Was that the guy on Gravel pit the other night? He kept blabbing and blabbing about "strategy this, I'm going over here to do this, you guys do that". After about 10 minutes of it I noticed his score was 0 and kicked him. :lol :lol

YES this was exactly who I was talking about. I hope I didn't give the impression that he was annoying b/c of his accent on the server because it wasn't that. He was annoying because he couldn't stop blabbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom