• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
Aaah, so that's how I suddenly got into the top10 today. I was on my way last night, making it up to the 24th place. :lol

Now its a little more "team based", as everyone as a team is being penalized for some stuff and not just individuals.

Also set it so when..

Richard funs kill Javaman, Richard gains (example) 20 points Javaman loses 15 (75% loss). :)

Block Captures, 5 points to everyone on the team, 15 to each person on the point.
Dominating someone? 15 points. Got your revenge? 15 points.
Killed warcock? 100 point bonus. -200 to warcock.
Flag degended, 5 points to everyone on the team, 15 to each defender.
Destory a teleport enter/exit or disep? 10 points to you
Kill a sentry? 15 points to you.
Kill assist? 5 points
Picked up the flag? 10 points.
Flag capture? 15 points to you. 10 points to the team.
Uber Charged lately? get 15 points
Placed a sapper on something? 5 points
All engineer built objects.. 2 points each.

Icy

Banned
Firestorm said:
I disagree completely. The way I've done successful captures in 90% of 2fort games I play is by taking the flag as a lone spy, getting it as close to the entrance as possible, and then moving it closer and closer to our base. Usually it requires me (still spy) to get there invisible and reset the timer.

You should not lose so many points for resetting the flag. I'd pretty much lose all my points trying to help my team win.

PS: Could we make ranks not reset anymore? I know it's not fair to non-regulars, but ranks in servers really are made FOR regulars anyway. I don't really care too much about my rank on -Q- or TheVille servers, I just like to see how I stack up on IronFist.

theville and q run a default. Rank records are only kept for 20 days.. Mine are kept for 45. but with the way changes have been made, resets were made. Especially when you see the spread in the top 10-15. at one point the spread from 1 to 2 was over 4k...

Icy

Banned
oh ahah.

I don't have crossunder... sorry confidence man. :(

I'll add it on tonight and throw it on rotation.

zoku88

I just went from rank 40 something to rank 8,000-something ;____; That's what I get for letting my friend play ;___;

Icy said:
oh ahah.

I don't have crossunder... sorry confidence man. :(

I'll add it on tonight and throw it on rotation.

Thanks!

fruit-basket.jpg

Davidion

Javaman said:
Yeah, it definitely plays a lot more different in TF2 then in TFC. Eng was my favorite in that one as well, pretty much for the same reasons as now... a semi-slow ping and older computer, along with more of a strategic gameplay. One big difference is how aggressive one needs to be in TF2. In the older game, it was pretty much a given that engs would hang out near their sentries, but with teleporters and dispensers so vital in keeping the front lines refreshed I think it's a lot more important to push forward with engineers in the newer one. The trick is to find a decent place and enough time to build it up. If you get caught with your pants <er> sentry down you'll both get toasted. On CP maps where it doesn't matter too much if an enemy gets behind you I try to be as aggressive as I can with the sentries, and get them as close to the front lines as I can without getting it destroyed.

One strategy I like doing is popping/pooping :lol out a sentry while running and under fire. If they enemy doesn't notice it, it'll start attacking him from another side, and if he does notice it, he'll have to divide his fire between the two of us. The turret will likely be toast after a shot or two, but if it buys me a couple of seconds of distraction, it may be all I need to take a heavy or other offensive class out.

I agree and disagree. What's different about TFC was that the engi had CONSIDERABLE firepower at his disposal outside of the sentry. An engi that had his full loadout of grenades and shotgun was really a toe-to-toe match for any class but now without nades, he's bait for pretty much all of the other classes except for maybe medic in single combat.

I actually found it to be much easier to venture off and leave my sentry as just a point guard in TFC. It allowed you to be productive on two fronts, where as now the class is much more defensive at first sight. You are correct though in that to be really good as a TF2 engi, you have to be aggressive. It's a little more difficult now imo, having to build teleports for your team and progress your base-building as well as maintain your gun, not to mention that it seems like the build time for anything is slower in TF2 than it was in TF1. This turns me off a little bit as it seems like you have to invest more time to rebuild than before, every time your fortification is taken out.

I do like your strategies though, and it's obviously paid off for you. I think I'll give the class more shots going forward.

n0b said:
Sure I have. :p

I know my weakness, I'm way too reckless, so if I have a support medic I force them into a situation that I can't handle and get us both killed. If I could stand being more cautious I could probably double my k/d ratio.

Well, your aggression has its good and bad sides. To be honest, Dustbowl final cap where we were yesterday isn't great for medics imo as the passageways are narrow and don't necessarily allow a lot of places for medics to hide. That and I was the only medic at one point and trying to take care of a couple of people at once got me killed a few times as well.

I actually get overly reckless. Yesterday on Gravel Pit offense I stormed into point B as a soldier that had a level 1 sentry and two enemies in it, charged right into the back. My teammate behind me actually said out loud over voicecom "Hey Dave you shoul...wow". :lol In hindsight it wasn't very smartly played on my part as I wasn't able to parlay that into more kills, but it has it's pluses and minuses.

Javaman

Davidion said:
I agree and disagree. What's different about TFC was that the engi had CONSIDERABLE firepower at his disposal outside of the sentry. An engi that had his full loadout of grenades and shotgun was really a toe-to-toe match for any class but now without nades, he's bait for pretty much all of the other classes except for maybe medic in single combat.

I actually found it to be much easier to venture off and leave my sentry as just a point guard in TFC. It allowed you to be productive on two fronts, where as now the class is much more defensive at first sight. You are correct though in that to be really good as a TF2 engi, you have to be aggressive. It's a little more difficult now imo, having to build teleports for your team and progress your base-building as well as maintain your gun, not to mention that it seems like the build time for anything is slower in TF2 than it was in TF1. This turns me off a little bit as it seems like you have to invest more time to rebuild than before, every time your fortification is taken out.

I do like your strategies though, and it's obviously paid off for you. I think I'll give the class more shots going forward.

I almost forgot about those nasty EMPs. Good god, were they ever overpowered. Once you could get the cooking timing down it was a cakewalk to blow it up in mid air next to anyone. The more people caught in the blast the more deadly it was especially if an enemy heavy was nearby.

You're right about the build time. It takes quite a while to get all four pieces up and once they are (assuming they survived the initial rush) the front lines have probably already changed for the better or worse necessitating moving everything again. Warpath is tough to keep up with at times since there is so little in the way of pickups. Dispensers are more vital then ever so it's good to keep them tucked away safely, but that doesn't do the team much good on offensive.

The lack of metal from the supply spawn points is brutal on Warpath if you're an engy. That's the one thing I dislike about the map. That and the long trek from where you spawn to where you actually have to be.

On the bright side, it's great for racking up on teleports. I think I got something like 40 teleports just on that map alone.

Xizk

Awesome games on Casbah :D My favorite custom map by far. Finally got n0b when he had nearly dominated me in the later part of the match so that was nice. Played like 2 hours on it and could easily have played 2 more, that's how much I like it. If only they would play the whole song all the time.

Cheeto

Fuck Comcast up their blood-sucking asses...after not showing up for an install appointment yesterday, they show up today to hook up the internet and cable. The internet worked for about 20 minutes before crapping out. Now I have to wait another 24-48 hours to have them escalate the issue and get it fixed on their back-end. Comcastic indeed.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
so i'm having these weird game glitches where the game freezes up for 5 seconds or so - sometimes i can still see others running around/hear mic convos so the connection hasn't really dropped it seems - and when it goes back to normal stuff is all messed up. usually it's just crates disappearing and enemy spies showing as enemies even when disguised, but in the latest match on casbah - great map by the way - some engineer was turned into a scout with a sentry gun floating around next to him. someone requested a picture but pictures don't really do it justice, was better in motion, but here it is anyway:

currently reinstalling tf2.. =(

zoku88

Sciz said:
Too low. When every death is a 30-50 point loss, even a really awesome medic isn't going to get anywhere in the rankings.
I agree. Such low point-age makes it hard for me and my suicidal pyro tendencies :p

I really need to try to not be so suicidal in the future... ;___;

JoeMartin

Sciz said:
Too low. When every death is a 30-50 point loss, even a really awesome medic isn't going to get anywhere in the rankings.

Heh, yeah. I usually finish games at the top end of the list in per-game points but I hardly get any server tracked points. Not that I mind though, medic is definitely my favorite class to play, regardless of points. If assist kill points don't change, something medic specific should. Like we should get an uber amount of points when we use uber. =P

That game on Casbah today was fucking epic though. I love that map. Somehow I pulled out two of the three caps.

n0b

Xizk said:
Awesome games on Casbah :D My favorite custom map by far. Finally got n0b when he had nearly dominated me in the later part of the match so that was nice. Played like 2 hours on it and could easily have played 2 more, that's how much I like it. If only they would play the whole song all the time.
Nearly? :p I did dominate you at one point. It was nice to be fighting back for once instead of you picking me off in the middle of another fight. :(

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
OH BOY medic achievements galore!
tf2_medic_achievements.jpg

which reminds me of something i was planning on telling you medic players here; the juggle achievement, i watched a replay of some tourney match where the medic would über and juggle between two players keeping them both übered using the fact that after you let go of someone they still remain übered for a short while. at least i *think* that's what i saw. something to try out.
Xizk said:
Damn you had to take one with N0b sniping me :(
figured you'd like that ;)

Sciz said:

Icy, this is indeed quite unbalanced. Last night when I played medic, I was constantly in the top3 but I kept dropping in the ranks. Only when I switched to heavy to do the killing myself was I able to rack up some points. Seeing as how often medics are the unfilled class, I don't think people ought to be punished for being a healbot :D

Hey cool, the medic achievements. Are they already implemented?

Must say the names are a bit unimaginative. I remember the "kill healed spy" was referred to in the past as the "hypocritical oath" achievement. Much better name :D

trh said:
OH BOY medic achievements galore!
pic

which reminds me of something i was planning on telling you medic players here; the juggle achievement, i watched a replay of some tourney match where the medic would über and juggle between two players keeping them both übered using the fact that after you let go of someone they still remain übered for a short while. at least i *think* that's what i saw. something to try out.

figured you'd like that ;)
Yup that's how it's done. So they're not out yet are they?

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
Hey cool, the medic achievements. Are they already implemented?

Must say the names are a bit unimaginative. I remember the "kill healed spy" was referred to in the past as the "hypocritical oath" achievement. Much better name :D

the screen shot was of the list of new achievements before the "real names" were designed. Medic achievements will be coming along with all new achievements for all the classes.

Icy said:
the screen shot was of the list of new achievements before the "real names" were designed. Medic achievements will be coming along with all new achievements for all the classes.
Good to hear, these medic achievements look a tad lame though. They seem like good goals for newbie medics.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Good to hear, these medic achievements look a tad lame though. They seem like good goals for newbie medics.

there meant to be easy to obtain and be nub friendly.

Capndrake

Been wondering a while, what is the command to initiate a mapvote for a single map (Just yes/no)? I know rtv initiates one with a bunch of maps.

Icy

Banned
Capndrake said:
Been wondering a while, what is the command to initiate a mapvote for a single map (Just yes/no)? I know rtv initiates one with a bunch of maps.

rtv is gone.

Too many fucktards abused it when trying a new map out.

Wooooooooooooot!

I just landed a job for the next six months that I didn't even know I was being considered for. I applied a few weeks back, but heard nothing so I assumed it was a bust.

However, this also means I won't be on during the week anymore, at least not alot. If I am, it will be a bit earlier, since most of you lot come on to play when it's past midnight here and with a 9 to 5 job (*shiver*), playing TF2 after midnight falls into the 'bad idea' category :lol

Capndrake said:

I think only admins can do the single map vote.

And thank god for rtv being gone, there was a map change 5 seconds after entering a custom every single time, people not even trying them out before bitching about it.

Davidion

Richardfun said:
Wooooooooooooot!

I just landed a job for the next six months that I didn't even know I was being considered for. I applied a few weeks back, but heard nothing so I assumed it was a bust.

However, this also means I won't be on during the week anymore, at least not alot. If I am, it will be a bit earlier, since most of you lot come on to play when it's past midnight here and with a 9 to 5 job (*shiver*), playing TF2 after midnight falls into the 'bad idea' category :lol

I feel like a degenerate...:( And try a 9 to 8 job. :lol

Many congratulations though, mind if I ask what field you're in?

Davidion said:
I feel like a degenerate...:( And try a 9 to 8 job. :lol

Many congratulations though, mind if I ask what field you're in?

It's just something to tie me over until I go back to studying again in September (going to do a Journalism Masters), but it's actually pretty cool. I'm basically going to be the assistant of the Head of Human Resources at a place called Eurocontrol. They maintain the safety of the airways for civilian flying above the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and quite a big chunk of Germany I think. I'll will do all sorts of stuff: making presentations, data entry stuff, receiving guests there. Basically, whatever the head of human resources needs me to do.

And it pays quite a bit more than the legal minimum wage (which is 7.80 here, about $11.50), I will get about 8.50-9.00 Euro's an hour (about $13).

Davidion

Richardfun said:
It's just something to tie me over until I go back to studying again in September, but it's actually pretty cool. I'm basically going to be the assistant of the Head of Human Resources at a place called Eurocontrol. They maintain the safety of the airways for civilian flying above the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and quite a big chunk of Germany I think. I'll will do all sorts of stuff: making presentations, data entry stuff, receiving guests there. Basically, whatever the head of human resources needs me to do.

And it pays quite a bit more than the legal minimum wage (which is 7.80 here, about $11.50), I will get about 8.50-9.00 Euro's an hour (about $13).

Word, congrats! Don't let TF2 keep you from your job, we wouldn't want your server donations to stop or anything. ;)

Davidion said:
Word, congrats! Don't let TF2 keep you from your job, we wouldn't want your server donations to stop or anything. ;)

Oh, I will definetely make a nice donation after my first paycheck, 30 or 40 Euro's. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom