• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
nope.

Also anyone caught spawn camping in Casbah.. auto ban, Don't care if you've donated, are a friend, neogaf, whomever. This is the only warning.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Icy said:
Also anyone caught spawn camping in Casbah.. auto ban, Don't care if you've donated, are a friend, neogaf, whomever. This is the only warning.
Didn't you once use admin powers to spawn camp on Castle?

Icy

Banned
Crushed said:
Didn't you once use admin powers to spawn camp on Castle?

i was killed in 2 seconds. If you've played Casbah today you'd see the problem to no end. 1 time i played it, half the team was literally at the entrance just blowing people up as they popped up. They werne't even messing with trying to get the flag.

Danj

I got this game for Christmas, haven't played it much because of being busy with COD4 and Crysis, but someone invited me to the gaf server today and I wasn't doing anything so I figured I'd give it a go. I have to say it is really frustrating, in TF2 it seems like you can go through a whole clip of 6 shotgun shells shooting somebody and they don't die and then they just kill you while you reload. Is there some kind of trick to killing people in this game?

"I got this game for Christmas, haven't played it much because of being busy with COD4 and Crysis, but someone invited me to the gaf server today and I wasn't doing anything so I figured I'd give it a go. I have to say it is really frustrating, in TF2 it seems like you can go through a whole clip of 6 shotgun shells shooting somebody and they don't die and then they just kill you while you reload. Is there some kind of trick to killing people in this game?"

Aiming at them helps. *cough*

Seriously though, shotguns do less damage away and a significant amount up close. If you couldn't kill them and they were fairly close...you just weren't accurate enough. 3 Shotgun blasts (barring crits) at decent range is enough to kill anyone except heavies, assuming you're actually on target.

Danj said:
I got this game for Christmas, haven't played it much because of being busy with COD4 and Crysis, but someone invited me to the gaf server today and I wasn't doing anything so I figured I'd give it a go. I have to say it is really frustrating, in TF2 it seems like you can go through a whole clip of 6 shotgun shells shooting somebody and they don't die and then they just kill you while you reload. Is there some kind of trick to killing people in this game?
EDIT: Beaten, and probably with much better advice. Ignore this post.

The shotgun is a very formidable weapon, and while it's mostly secondary for most classes that have it, it takes nowhere near 6 shots to kill anyone. 3 shots up to a certain range will put the screws to (almost) anyone.

Yeah. The shotgun isn't bad at all, but if you're wanting to know where pure damage output comes from, it's from mostly primary weapons.

Still, the Shotgun can be really useful, especially for the Pyro, who actually needs it. It also seemed like the Heavy's had a higher rate of fire, but I'm not too sure on that one.

Jacobi

Banned
Icy said:
i was killed in 2 seconds. If you've played Casbah today you'd see the problem to no end. 1 time i played it, half the team was literally at the entrance just blowing people up as they popped up. They werne't even messing with trying to get the flag.
At the entrance or the tunnel after the entrance? I mean it's a legit tactic building your sentries there (after that tunnel where the containers are) and an Uber-Pyro has no problems breaching through. If his team follows, there's no pwnage anymore

Jacobi

Banned
Richardfun said:
I was going through the @menu to vote for a single map, and my choices there were limited last night. Ah well.
I tried to votemap casbah today, but only horus and other stuff popped up :(

"I got this game for Christmas, haven't played it much because of being busy with COD4 and Crysis, but someone invited me to the gaf server today and I wasn't doing anything so I figured I'd give it a go. I have to say it is really frustrating, in TF2 it seems like you can go through a whole clip of 6 shotgun shells shooting somebody and they don't die and then they just kill you while you reload. Is there some kind of trick to killing people in this game?"

I pretty much consider the secondary shotgun as a pistol. You *usually* have a better main gun and it's real benefit for me is switching, for example with soldier, when you run out of rockets to finish the guy off (if he's not dead already) or using it to kill someone else that was there was two people and you only managed to kill one with your rockets. If your at a normal shotgun distance though you can easily kill them in few shots without using all six shots. I actually like the shotgun in the game because it isn't ridiculously weak or over powered either.

1-D_FTW

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I pretty much consider the secondary shotgun as a pistol. You *usually* have a better main gun and it's real benefit for me is switching, for example with soldier, when you run out of rockets to finish the guy off (if he's not dead already) or using it to kill someone else that was there was two people and you only managed to kill one with your rockets. If your at a normal shotgun distance though you can easily kill them in few shots without using all six shots. I actually like the shotgun in the game because it isn't ridiculously weak or over powered either.

Excellent solider shotgun tips. The only other thing I would add is if you're 2 feet behind a heavy, it's the weapon of choice there. Shotgun blasts to the back of the head confuse a heavy. He knows he's being hit, but not from where. If you start rocket blasting him, and he's not seeing the rockets, he knows you're behind him and will turn and kill before you can unload enough rockets to kill him. Shotgun blasts give you a much better chance.

1-D_FTW said:
Excellent solider shotgun tips. The only other thing I would add is if you're 2 feet behind a heavy, it's the weapon of choice there. Shotgun blasts to the back of the head confuse a heavy. He knows he's being hit, but not from where. If you start rocket blasting him, and he's not seeing the rockets, he knows you're behind him and will turn and kill before you can unload enough rockets to kill him. Shotgun blasts give you a much better chance.

pro's use melee, as they turn, turn the same way, as they whirl up start turning the same way they are. Always fun

"Excellent solider shotgun tips. The only other thing I would add is if you're 2 feet behind a heavy, it's the weapon of choice there. Shotgun blasts to the back of the head confuse a heavy. He knows he's being hit, but not from where. If you start rocket blasting him, and he's not seeing the rockets, he knows you're behind him and will turn and kill before you can unload enough rockets to kill him. Shotgun blasts give you a much better chance."

That's not a bad idea, but I never really bothered since if I've got a good rocket or two on him then the shotgun is usually enough to finish him. As long as you jump around and get a rocket or two before he starts *connecting* with you you can usually pull it off. Even with crits gone I never had a problem taking down a heavy, well unless they were getting healed which is still possible but obviously harder.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I do think that they latest update has upset some of the balance in the game somewhat.

The scout's shotgun is massively overpowered. Sometimes it's just two shots and you're gone, which isn't great considering no one can outrun a scout. On 2fort I got shot from the opposite battlements by a scout, and two shots (not crits) took 75 off a sniper. In contrast, a sniper's machine gun can riddle an opponent (sometimes with several crits) and not finish them off. A soldier's critical rockets are also bordering on ridiculous in my opinion.

Think the game still needs some fine tuning of the balance in order to provide the optimal experience.

Icy, I played again a bit earlier, tried a single map vote for casbah since people were asking for it, but it wasn't in the list. Before, when I went through the maps in the @menu, there were like 20+. Now, it's under 15 and no casbah.

MrSardonic said:
I do think that they latest update has upset some of the balance in the game somewhat.

The scout's shotgun is massively overpowered. Sometimes it's just two shots and you're gone, which isn't great considering no one can outrun a scout. On 2fort I got shot from the opposite battlements by a scout, and two shots (not crits) took 75 off a sniper. In contrast, a sniper's machine gun can riddle an opponent (sometimes with several crits) and not finish them off. A soldier's critical rockets are also bordering on ridiculous in my opinion.

Think the game still needs some fine tuning of the balance in order to provide the optimal experience.
There is no way two shots of a scout's shotgun from the other battlements can deal 75 damage. Try it yourself, you'll see the spread if ridiculous. If you're a sniper, engineer , or spy, you should not be able to go toe to toe with an assualt class like the scout. All the other classes have enough HP to put them on about even ground.

The game's balance is about as perfect as it gets.

1-D_FTW said:
Are you coming back any time soon? I miss ubering you.

JavaMava

This sucks.

After about 3 maps my computer starts to lag and its like I'm playing a slide show. I have to reset the game.

Whats even worse is my wireless receiver can't communicate with the router randomly every 90 seconds or so and the world around me pauses for about 5 seconds. Well that what happens on my end, on your guys end its "shoot the guy who looks afk" night.

Is this just a fact of wireless gaming. Do I have to run some ethernet, or could it be my 4+ year old wireless receiver? Had the same problem with WoW till I switched to ethernet at my old place.

Icy

Banned
JavaMava said:
This sucks.

After about 3 maps my computer starts to lag and its like I'm playing a slide show. I have to reset the game.

Whats even worse is my wireless receiver can't communicate with the router randomly every 90 seconds or so and the world around me pauses for about 5 seconds. Well that what happens on my end, on your guys end its "shoot the guy who looks afk" night.

Is this just a fact of wireless gaming. Do I have to run some ethernet, or could it be my 4+ year old wireless receiver? Had the same problem with WoW till I switched to ethernet at my old place.

if your wireless keeps dropping like that. of course you're going to have an issue. Sounds like the router is going bad possibly.

JavaMava

I don't think it's the router. I move around a lot thus I've had this problem with several different routers. The only thing thats been constant is the receiver. I didn't want to be a new one to figure out its an inherent issue with wireless internet throwing away $60(?). If you guys aren't having the same issues I guess I can buy one then and have fun.

Icy

Banned
JavaMava said:
I don't think it's the router. I move around a lot thus I've had this problem with several different routers. The only thing thats been constant is the receiver. I didn't want to be a new one to figure out its an inherent issue with wireless internet throwing away $60(?). If you guys aren't having the same issues I guess I can buy one then and have fun.

I use wireless N and never had that issue ever. and previous b/g offers no problems.

Rlan

Man it's weird looking back at the original cartoony TF2 Trailer

No voices makes it sound so weird. The lack of cover on the 2fort bridge, the "nailgun" looking weapon the scout had, the dynamite weapon of the demoman, the horrifically overpowered sentry [for show most likely]. Wonder what the game would be like with these weapons.

Firestorm

Rlan said:
Man it's weird looking back at the original cartoony TF2 Trailer

No voices makes it sound so weird. The lack of cover on the 2fort bridge, the "nailgun" looking weapon the scout had, the dynamite weapon of the demoman, the horrifically overpowered sentry [for show most likely]. Wonder what the game would be like with these weapons.

Think you mean Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ozG-YNLNg&feature=related

When was the cartoony style announced anyway? I'm one of those who never really played TFC. I got into TF2 since people at school played it, recommended it, and every time they played it looked so fun. The graphical style was one of the things that really pulled me in. I can say with confidence that I don't think I'd have bought this game if it used the realistic style of a game like Counter-Strike (which I also enjoy).

This has been bugging me for a while now: please dont repeatedly call for a medic in the middle of a battle while i'm healing someone else who is being shot at. I'm not going to sacrifice them to save you. This applies especially to when I have an uber ready to use. There's no need to yell at someone/use sarcastic remarks when i don't heal you. Sometimes there's several people to heal, and when your the only medic on the team...Yeah.

Also, Castle still sucks.

Bishman

Firestorm said:
Think you mean Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ozG-YNLNg&feature=related

When was the cartoony style announced anyway? I'm one of those who never really played TFC. I got into TF2 since people at school played it, recommended it, and every time they played it looked so fun. The graphical style was one of the things that really pulled me in. I can say with confidence that I don't think I'd have bought this game if it used the realistic style of a game like Counter-Strike (which I also enjoy).
You are not the only one. The art style and the trailer is what sold me with TF2. If not, I would have thought "not another FPS. ugh."

Icy

Banned
If a mod can make a poll that would be great ( I am not mod, therefore no way to do so :( )

Do we want..

A. Original with Crits
B. Original without Crits
C. Class Limits with Crits
D. Class Limits without Crits

JavaMava

The Storyteller said:
This has been bugging me for a while now: please dont repeatedly call for a medic in the middle of a battle while i'm healing someone else who is being shot at. I'm not going to sacrifice them to save you. This applies especially to when I have an uber ready to use. There's no need to yell at someone/use sarcastic remarks when i don't heal you. Sometimes there's several people to heal, and when your the only medic on the team...Yeah.

Also, Castle still sucks.

Are you talking about calling on the mic, or just hitting the call medic button. Cause I don't think they know your currently healing some one in thats in a fight. Theres a lot of people on a map and it's hard(read: impossible) to keep track of what situation every one is in at any one moment.

If it is the latter, they most likely could use a medic if your free and just hitting the button so an indicator pops up on your screen.

Icy said:
If a mod can make a poll that would be great ( I am not mod, therefore no way to do so :( )

Do we want..

A. Original with Crits

What does original and Class Limits mean?

I like Crits.

rakka

JavaMava said:
What does original and Class Limits mean?

I like Crits.
class limits = only a certain number of each class allowed on a team, e.g 3 soldiers max

and by original he meant just without the class limits

JavaMava said:
Are you talking about calling on the mic, or just hitting the call medic button

Both. I've had people yell at me over the mic. When people hit the medic button im pretty much on them straight away if they are close by and when I'm not already in the process of healing someone who is already in danger. But it can be hard when several people are calling medic at once and theres the occasional person who'll get pissy if they are close by and I don't heal them but thats usually because i'm busy healing someone who is already being shot at or one of the five other people who need my assitance at that time.

JavaMava

The Storyteller said:
Both. I've had people yell at me over the mic. When people hit the medic button im pretty much on them straight away if they are close by and when I'm not already in the process of healing someone who is already in danger. But it can be hard when several people are calling medic at once and theres the occasional person who'll get pissy if they are close by and I don't heal them but thats usually because i'm busy healing someone who is already being shot at or one of the five other people who need my assitance at that time.

Ya I can see how that can get annoying. As long as your healing well (distributing as often as possible) you should tell any one who gets pissed at you for not healing them to eff off.

rakka said:
class limits = only a certain number of each class allowed on a team, e.g 3 soldiers max

and by original he meant just without the class limits

ahh.

I guess I like original with crits then... but I'm still pretty new at the game.

Cheeto

Icy said:

Do we want..

A. Original with Crits
My pick is a completely pure server, so I guess option A. +custom maps.

The Storyteller said:
I can definitely relate. It gets rather frustrating, but maybe that's because i'm a crappy medic... :lol You, on the other hand, are damn good.

The Storyteller said:
hmm is this about me? You were standing in front of me for a good 15 or so seconds with nob(Who you were healing) at full hp , I wouldn't have said anything otherwise. I called once, waited a while, no response, called twice waited a bit then died to stray rocket or something. Probably wasn't your fault, but I spent the majority of that match running around like a headless chicken with 40 hp. I hate the tiny amount of health kits on that map.

PillowKnight said:
hmm is this about me? You were standing in front of me for a good 15 or so seconds with nob(Who you were healing) at full hp , I wouldn't have said anything otherwise. I called once, waited a while, no response, called twice waited a bit then died to stray rocket or something. Probably wasn't your fault, but I spent the majority of that match running around like a headless chicken with 40 hp. I hate the tiny amount of health kits on that map.
That comment did bug me to be honest. But I've had this before and I was going to say something earlier anyway. I get your annoyance though and I apologise If it seemed like I was ignoring you. But I doubt it was 15 seconds, that battle towards the end was pretty hectic, everyone was constantly moving in and out of my vision.

The Storyteller said:
That comment did bug me to be honest. But I've had this before and I was going to say something earlier anyway. I get your annoyance though and I apologise If it seemed like I was ignoring you. But I doubt it was 15 seconds, that battle towards the end was pretty hectic, everyone was constantly moving in and out of my vision.
NP, and sorry, I didn't mean to come off as angry. I was hoping to get your attention so you'd heal me next time even if only to halfway up or so. It was just annoying having to sit there being useless.

Icy said:

Do we want..

A. Original with Crits

I don't really care whether crits are on or not, but I do think there should be class limits. As much as I liked Vanilla weekend, there were way too many fucktards choosing whatever they wanted to play, not what was needed, and that screws up the game. For example, I'm defending on gravelpit, I'm a medic, we have 3 snipers, 3 scouts, 1 soldier en 1 pyro. And then people are surprised when the other team kicks our asses. There are simply too many a**holes out there who just want to do whatever they want, and TF2 isn't the game for that.

So yay for class limits! :D

Richardfun said:
I don't really care whether crits are on or not, but I do think there should be class limits. As much as I liked Vanilla weekend, there were way too many fucktards choosing whatever they wanted to play, not what was needed, and that screws up the game. For example, I'm defending on gravelpit, I'm a medic, we have 3 snipers, 3 scouts, 1 soldier en 1 pyro. And then people are surprised when the other team kicks our asses. There are simply too many a**holes out there who just want to do whatever they want, and TF2 isn't the game for that.

So yay for class limits! :D
I got hit with my own pet peeve because of the lack of class restrictions, even though I don't like them at all. First we had 4 snipers, we then had 4 engineers, on warpath. At one point I was forced to uber scouts/engineers because we had no soldiers/heavies/demos and only one pyro. I kept trying to get them to change and some guy got me with "Damn you complain about everything".

n0b

Class limits are fine as long as there is no medic limit interfering with the night crew's fun.

It started out fun:
8ftuuye.jpg

And then just got awesome.
6q8eo8z.jpg

Our final all medic win.
8b8yooy.jpg

Fun times. :D

PillowKnight said:
I got hit with my own pet peeve because of the lack of class restrictions, even though I don't like them at all. First we had 4 snipers, we then had 4 engineers, on warpath. At one point I was forced to uber scouts/engineers because we had no soldiers/heavies/demos and only one pyro. I kept trying to get them to change and some guy got me with "Damn you complain about everything".

I also called some people on their egotistical choices. One of them actually started to throw profanities my way and told me I should mind my own f'ing bussiness. Five seconds later, he was gone...somehow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom