• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'm not sure what counters demomen to be honest. Broken :(
Sniper, scout.

That's my first off-hand guess, but I haven't played TF2 for like three weeks now (withdrawal kicking in agh).

Seriously, though, I fucking hate snipers. And demomen aren't broken, fool!

Won

MrPing1000 said:
They have to do something about the 2nd two points in dustbowl. 2 engineers and a load of demoman = blue team never leaving the spawn area.

I see that happen often on dustbowl only servers. But the typical 2 ubers at start should prevent it. If you get pinned down there you deserve it.

"Preferred Slots are going bye bye for the time being. No eta when they will return. Its causing an issue with the "reserved slots" for the donators. Want a slot? donate!'

"I'll be turning crits off again, readding some class limits.. none on medics."

Icy the tyrant returns :(

Sciz

So, after suffering through some nasty hard drive errors, Steam managed to lose my in-game stats and achievements (as well as my Episode One install, inexplicably). Is there any way to recover these from the Steam Community site, or am I just stuck with an odd disconnect between my totals and what the game thinks I'm at?

Also, crits are still on.

Javaman

I'd like to throw my vote in.... No crits, or crits the same with soldier ones reduced by 1/3, Class limitations of 2 engs and 2 snipers.

I like no crits, with class restrictions as long as there's not a restriction on medic or soldier. Soldiers are good all-around class so a restriction on them doesn't seem necessary.

Capndrake

MrPing1000 said:
They have to do something about the 2nd two points in dustbowl. 2 engineers and a load of demoman = blue team never leaving the spawn area.
Bunch of Spies should easily be able to counter that. Unless you mean that they push all the way through the mine and in front of the spawn (Not sure if you include the mine as spawn area too).

JoeMartin

vultureparade said:
It's almost impossible for a demoman at any skill level to kill a good scout

If one nade makes contact with a scout he's done, which really isn't that hard to do considering scouts have to be close to do damage in the first place and nades have enough exit velocity to shoot with relative accuracy at close range.

Firestorm said:
I'm not sure what counters demomen to be honest. Broken :(

It feels like that sometimes, but that's only because so many of our games end up as battles of attrition at a single choke point on the map, which is demoman haven (and why a skilled demo is my class of preference to blow my ubers on). Get into any open territory and there's a lot of classes that can go toe to toe with demos, as their damage is really easy to avoid in direct ranged combat.

If one nade makes contact with a scout he's done, which really isn't that hard to do considering scouts have to be close to do damage in the first place and nades have enough exit velocity to shoot with relative accuracy at close range.

I'd definitely agree with you if one grenade could kill a scout. I'm sorry to say that most of the time the scout class takes two grenades to kill. This is the main problem with the balance of the scout class -- too many hit points.

Scout doesn't need to go into pointblank range when fighting Demomen. The Scattergun still does okay from out of Flamethrower's reach. You won't be getting one hit kills that way, but you should be safer.

Capndrake

KittenMaster said:
Scout doesn't need to go into pointblank range when fighting Demomen. The Scattergun still does okay from out of Flamethrower's reach. You won't be getting one hit kills that way, but you should be safer.
You're thinking of Pyro.

Won

vultureparade said:
I'd definitely agree with you if one grenade could kill a scout. I'm sorry to say that most of the time the scout class takes two grenades to kill. This is the main problem with the balance of the scout class -- too many hit points.

A direct hit with a grenade is an instant kill against a 125hp class. At least against spies and I don't believe scouts can outrun the explosion.

Also I need somekind of a reminder that engineer stuff blows up when I kill them in sudden death. :(

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Won said:
Also I need somekind of a reminder that engineer stuff blows up when I kill them in sudden death. :(
i've been wondering about that, i never go spy in sd so i haven't been able to try it, but is it possible to just backstab someone at their sg and it goes down too? seems kinda... broken, i dunno.

"i've been wondering about that, i never go spy in sd so i haven't been able to try it, but is it possible to just backstab someone at their sg and it goes down too? seems kinda... broken, i dunno."

Yes, and the explosion from it will kill you too, I believe.

yeb

I'm pretty sure it's just the damage variation on pipe bombs that allows 125 HP classes to survive sometimes. 1 hit kills seem much more common, though. Still, scouts are easily the best class to kill demos. They're by far the hardest class to hit with pipe bombs, and having the sticky launcher out basically gives them a free kill.

Pro tip: Pipe bombs are probably affected more by the right-handedness of the characters than any other weapon. A demo aiming straight at you is almost always going to miss a little to their right. Instead of dodging to your right and making me compensate even more, please dodge left and move into my pipe bombs, ok?

Danj

Is there a guide to making your own decals anywhere? I tried right clicking on TF2 in Steam and selecting "view manual" but all that gets me is some humorous pseudo-instruction-leaflet relating to the sentry gun. Also there does not appear to be any decal guide in the opening post of this thread either.

I'm finding that working fulltime is alot more exhausting than I expected :D

Probably won't be on that much during the week anymore, but I'll definitely play some this weekend.

Danj

Jacobi said:
You don't need all the crap at the end (it was fixed in a patch). Just go to options, multiplayer (I think) and somewhere is import tag. Just make a 256x256 JPG/BMP and you're good to go

Does it support any other file formats e.g. PNG? I don't think JPG or BMP have transparency.

Good games last night, especially on Casbah. I never knew that the balcony on Blue's side was such a choke-point. That map was always weird with me with its lack of symmetry between the two teams.

Thanks for whoever told me my mic wasn't working the next map. Turned out I had the mic transmit volume turned WAY down. I guess I was talking to myself for a couple of maps before that.

It was the first time I played Castle2. I like it! I always like OvsD maps. But that third capture point seems like it needs some technical tweaking. My FPS dropped way low around the 1st point in the third capture point and I noticed other people were complaining as well.

Jacobi

Banned
Just look which file formats are supported, don't be such a lazyass Danj. :lol There are others than JPG and BMP, forgot which ones though.

Does anyone think MEga64 should do a TF2 skit? Lots of potential imo

JoeMartin

vultureparade said:

A nade on the ground generally won't kill anyone in one hit because there is some amount of distance between you and the grenade. Even a tiny amount of distance drastically reduces the damage taken from grenades. If the grenade makes contact before it hits the ground you take the full force of the damage, which is quite considerable - enough to kill scouts, spies and snipers in one hit (obviously not if they're overhealed, though).

Confidence Man said:
Reserved slots messed up for donators too? It won't let me in when there are 23 players.

Yeah, I had that problem too. Check to make sure you gave Icy your correct Steam Id. I missed a digit in mine when I first gave it to him, oops. Still had the problem last night though, so I'm not sure if he updated it.

JoeMartin said:
A nade on the ground generally won't kill anyone in one hit because there is some amount of distance between you and the grenade. Even a tiny amount of distance drastically reduces the damage taken from grenades. If the grenade makes contact before it hits the ground you take the full force of the damage, which is quite considerable - enough to kill scouts, spies and snipers in one hit (obviously not if they're overhealed, though).

A direct contact grenade won't kill scouts or snipers in one hit.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
got orange box during xmas, just recently starting playing this game. First PC game Ive played besides MMOs since Unreal Tourny 2k4 (I played a little of UT3 too i guess...). Im loving it :D

I feel like such a newb tho lol

Icy

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Like I posted. Its only for donators at this time."

Then I shouldn't have been booted off of it. Seems others are having the same problem.

send me a PM with your steam ID. I'm checking it out tonight.

Started a new cp map

cpmap01.jpg

Twig

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Started a new cp map
I give you props for making it look good, but dear god that point is way too open. D:

): With preferred slots now removed I can't get on the server. ): So sad. ):

The scale is a little deceptive. When you're running around in it it's not that large an area.

And why is warpath always on if people hate sniper hell :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom