• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Same here. Icy, for the past couple of days I am still being kicked. What's the deal?"

Try it out again if you can, I just tried now when it was 23/24 and was able to join when over 22 for the first time in a couple days. I think he may have fixed it.

rakka

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Same here. Icy, for the past couple of days I am still being kicked. What's the deal?"

Try it out again if you can, I just tried now when it was 23/24 and was able to join when over 22 for the first time in a couple days. I think he may have fixed it.
tried again, worked at 23/24. however this time round i saw the server at 24/24 quite often and of course couldn't connect then :p

edit: kicked when connecting at 23/24 again for some reason.. (getting both server fulls and kicked:reserved slot)

"tried again, worked at 23/24. however this time round i saw the server at 24/24 quite often and of course couldn't connect then :p

edit: kicked when connecting at 23/24 again for some reason.. (getting both server fulls and kicked:reserved slot)"

Now, that I try again I'm getting mixed results also. I got a kicked for reserve slot and then connected fine at 23/24.

JoeMartin

Meh, I find medic perfectly enjoyable to play. I mean, I don't see how they could realistically make it "more fun" to play while retaining it's main function - healing. The problem isn't the way the class is played, it's that most people would rather blow the fuck out of the enemy rather than heal their teammates.

I hope to God that they don't try to hybridize the class into some damage slash healing class. I don't play the medic to be a wanna-be damage dealer with shitty healing capacity. If any changes come to the medic I hope they're entirely healing related. I mean, I could think of more interesting ways to deliver health to teammates, and I want just that; I play the medic to heal.

firex

I wonder if anyone's working on a mod to add grenades to all the classes... and I kind of wonder what grenades they would add, anyway. honestly I wouldn't want the TFC grenades for the same classes in TF2, but it'd be fun to give each class grenades based upon how they play in TF2 compared to TFC. Or for Valve to give each class some kind of "special" similar to the mouse2 stuff for heavy/medic/spy/demo.

not that I really want to mess with TF2's base gameplay; I just kind of wonder what Valve would come up with/what a modder would do if they wanted to add something to the gameplay.

Icy

Banned
rakka said:
tried again, worked at 23/24. however this time round i saw the server at 24/24 quite often and of course couldn't connect then :p

edit: kicked when connecting at 23/24 again for some reason.. (getting both server fulls and kicked:reserved slot)

well there's only 1 server now... I"m looking into this tonight to figure out whats going on.

Icy

Banned
I'll be finding time tonight to get the no crits, class limits, and hopefully this reserve slot issue corrected.

YakiSOBA

Class limits is okay for when you want more balanced games, and you're trying to make a more team-based environment... don't like the no crits though, but i'll give it a shot.

Firestorm

Can you take castle and that shitty stage that looks kinda like a temple from an adventure game out of rotation while you're at it? =(

Kifimbo

TheOneGuy said:
Castle is one of the few good customs. Why take it out?

Castle is ok. But the problem is that most people don't want to play custom map, good or bad. Let's say you are playing Well with 24 people. Then Well is over and Castle is next. About 10 people will stay on the server to play Castle and nobody will join. It happened to me everytime in the last 2 weeks (twice yesterday).

And yeah, kill Horus please.

Twig

Banned
Kifimbo said:
Castle is ok. But the problem is that most people don't want to play custom map, good or bad. Let's say you are playing Well with 24 people. Then Well is over and Castle is next. About 10 people will stay on the server to play Castle and nobody will join. It happened to me everytime in the last 2 weeks (twice yesterday).
Heh, that's a fair point. People like that suck, though. ): I enjoy a change of pace every now and then. Back when it was a vote every round, Dustbowl would get picked EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. Now, I loves me some Dustbowl, but holy hell.

Jacobi

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Heh, that's a fair point. People like that suck, though. ): I enjoy a change of pace every now and then. Back when it was a vote every round, Dustbowl would get picked EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. Now, I loves me some Dustbowl, but holy hell.
just use votemap

Twig

Banned
Jacobi said:
just use votemap
It makes me feel like an asshole. D:
Firestorm said:
I dunno what it is about castle. I just don't find it that well-made. I really like warpath though.
Haha, I hate Warpath. d: It's not so bad when someone actually wins (in fact, it's then enjoyable... much like 2fort), but most of the time I play that map, it's a stalemate in the middle for waaaay toooo loooong.

Firestorm

I find it's a good kind of stalemate. It takes a while, but someone usually gets through after a good uber or two. If there's at least two medics per team and a couple of good engineers keeping their teleporters up, it's a great map. Epic pushes.

I played a match of 2fort yesterday with pretty even teams and oh my god. We were stuck at 1 cap each for so long I just had to quit in the end since it was mind-numbing.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
yeah i agree about taking out horus out of the cycle, it tends to kill of the server and nobody plays it anyway, we just keep rtv'ing out of it.

RPhilMan1

Horus is never taken seriously and is always voted to another map the second it starts. Castle isn't too bad, and Warpath is quite excellent.

Icy

Banned
I'm working on killing all map votes entirely. And if it somehow works.. auto ban.

Also..

Original Story: Two new maps for Valve's Team Fortress 2 will hopefully arrive within the next two months, the studio has informed Shacknews.

One of the new arenas is a remake of Team Fortress Classic's Badlands map, with an emphasis on more vertically-oriented gameplay due to the presence of control points on towering spires.

"Our estimate is that both these maps should be out within the next 2 months," Valve employee Robin Walker told Shacknews. "We expect to ship other new content before that."

That other content includes the forthcoming Medic achievement pack, which will add several new achievements for the Medic as well as a significant gameplay tweak for the class.

"It's a large scale modification to the core of the game," Walker hinted. "It'll debut in a limited fashion through the Medic first, but it'll be affecting all classes eventually."

"We're really looking forward to the community reaction," he continued. "We're really excited about where TF2 will be going over the next year."

RPhilMan1

Icy, to be honest, map votes are pretty important. When Java, nob, whoever is not there to change the map, then it is useful to have the map vote option.

And speaking of that, referring back to three or so weeks ago when you asked for another person to help out administrating the server, you picked a couple of new admins. First off, Richard is a great guy and good player, but he has been busy lately and rarely on. Vulture I saw on this past week but still not as often as need be. Java and n0b have been on pretty much daily. Perhaps you should look into who is on regularly to help out...?

Icy

Banned
RPhilMan1 said:
Icy, to be honest, map votes are pretty important. When Java, nob, whoever is not there to change the map, then it is useful to have the map vote option.

And speaking of that, referring back to three or so weeks ago when you asked for another person to help out administrating the server, you picked a couple of new admins. First off, Richard is a great guy and good player, but he has been busy lately and rarely on. Vulture I saw on this past week but still not as often as need be. Java and n0b have been on pretty much daily. Perhaps you should look into who is on regularly to help out...?

Did that and everytime I make someone an admin, something comes up with them. So. thats a done idea. Or people abuse.

As for map votes. People are getting anooyed with how a map finally comes on and is almost instantly map voted off and back onto something else. ie Dustbowl.. and it happens alot. So Its going away. Play whats on the rotation, or not at all.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
As for map votes. People are getting anooyed with how a map finally comes on and is almost instantly map voted off and back onto something else. ie Dustbowl.. and it happens alot. So Its going away. Play whats on the rotation, or not at all.

Icy's the Nintendo of mods. You don't know what you want or what you like, so I'm gonna tell you what you want... and you're gonna like it.

Capndrake

RPhilMan1 said:
Perhaps you should look into who is on regularly to help out...?
*whistles*

As for customs, as long as Warpath, Castle and (especially) Casbah stay, I'm fine with any changes. FPSBanana also has a new one called Station which seems pretty good, give it a look.

Twig

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Icy's the Nintendo of mods. You don't know what you want or what you like, so I'm gonna tell you what you want... and you're gonna like it.
And if you don't, you're an idiot!

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:
Isn't the Nintendo thing if you do like it you're an idiot?

I've always associated it more as they can get away with a severely limited library, because they feel they offer everything the player needs. Their unofficial motto is: Forget what you think you want, take what were giving you... cause we're smarter than you and we know your needs.

I like Nintendo, but it's always infuriated me how that arrogance left huge wholes in the lineup.

Sorry for the little Nintendo detour. Although it'll be funny if Icy does start auto-banning anyone who votes for a map change. Server calls a vote. Everyone votes and bam... 5 players are left after the carnage.

EDIT: Just read your quote and my "definition." So I guess you are an idiot if you like it. But I doubt that's their interpretation. They would consider it wise.

Twig

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Isn't the Nintendo thing if you do like it you're an idiot?
I guess that's true if you're like a Nintendo anti-fanboy or summat. Though their arrogance does annoy quite often.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.: The New Nintendo Thread

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

actually you're the reason I am like this now. I took all your suggestions you wanted, did them, and then you complained and they went back. So...

Firestorm

1-D_FTW said:
I've always associated it more as they can get away with a severely limited library, because they feel they offer everything the player needs. Their unofficial motto is: Forget what you think you want, take what were giving you... cause we're smarter than you and we know your needs.

I like Nintendo, but it's always infuriated me how that arrogance left huge wholes in the lineup.

Sorry for the little Nintendo detour. Although it'll be funny if Icy does start auto-banning anyone who votes for a map change. Server calls a vote. Everyone votes and bam... 5 players are left after the carnage.

EDIT: Just read your quote and my "definition." So I guess you are an idiot if you like it. But I doubt that's their interpretation. They would consider it wise.

Sakurai is our lord and saviour.

Twig

Banned
Firestorm said:
Sakurai is our lord and saviour.
Sometimes I forget you're one of the crazy Brawl dudes, haha. You people scare the shit out of me. FYI.

EDIT: Ugh I keep checking and every time I do, the server's at 23/24. If it's not, by the time I start up the game, it's reached that number. ): I don't mind reserved slots by themselves, but goddamnit I hate not being able to Auto-Join.

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
Sometimes I forget you're one of the crazy Brawl dudes, haha. You people scare the shit out of me. FYI.

EDIT: Ugh I keep checking and every time I do, the server's at 23/24. If it's not, by the time I start up the game, it's reached that number. ): I don't mind reserved slots by themselves, but goddamnit I hate not being able to Auto-Join.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to keep auto-join on. It comes in pretty handy. You can set a server to auto join while you play on another. Once the first one is freed you'll be ripped out of your current one to the desired one.

TheOneGuy said:

SSBB's awesomeness cannot be denied by rational minds.

That badlands map is similar in concept to an idea I had for a map a while back, although my idea was really different in layout the concept is similar.

JoeFu

Banned
New Update

Added new option for medigun beam to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If on, the medigun beam will stay attached to the current target without the need to hold down the fire button

Added new option for the sniper rifle to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If disabled, the sniper rifle won't re-zoom after firing a zoomed shot

Added "nextlevel" server cvar. If set to a valid map name, server will change to that map during the next changelevel

Fixed PerfUI being used as a type of wall-hack on servers without sv_cheats set to 1

Reduced Granary spawn advantage for capping the middle point

Fixed players turning into "Scout" model after lagouts (and a variety of related issues, such as disappearing doors)

Fixed obscure crash related to resolution changing

JoeMartin

JoeFu said:
New Update

Added new option for medigun beam to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If on, the medigun beam will stay attached to the current target without the need to hold down the fire button

Added new option for the sniper rifle to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If disabled, the sniper rifle won't re-zoom after firing a zoomed shot

Added "nextlevel" server cvar. If set to a valid map name, server will change to that map during the next changelevel

Fixed PerfUI being used as a type of wall-hack on servers without sv_cheats set to 1

Reduced Granary spawn advantage for capping the middle point

Fixed players turning into "Scout" model after lagouts (and a variety of related issues, such as disappearing doors)

Fixed obscure crash related to resolution changing

Both of those are mental notes I had added to my mental wishlish multiple times.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
the bonesaw is so much fun, most people see an easy kill when they spot a lone medic, so i just run around the corner and pull out my bonesaw and rip their face up. same thing with snipers. i'm gonna take a wild guess and say i probably got the "Doctor's Certificate" daily award today. :lol

e: oh and charging right into a pyro's face and get a melee crit is pretty wonderful too, survived a couple if times even though i was at 40 health thanks to nearby health kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom