• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeFu said:
New Update

Added new option for medigun beam to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If on, the medigun beam will stay attached to the current target without the need to hold down the fire button

:) My index finger thanks you Valve

RPhilMan1

JoeFu said:
Fixed players turning into "Scout" model after lagouts (and a variety of related issues, such as disappearing doors)

And you know what, I sent in three bug reports though TF2 in game because this happens to me a lot for some reason.

I really hope it's fixed. Look at these, this was just from earlier today:

This is after I freeze and this warning and timer comes up in the top right and counts down to 12.2 seconds until disconnect. Then I unfreeze but all the models are messed up and the graphics are glitched:

2194377954_e400323762_b.jpg

2193592113_1bdc165462_b.jpg

Added new option for medigun beam to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If on, the medigun beam will stay attached to the current target without the need to hold down the fire button

And here I thought that holding down the heal button was one of the few things that kept medics awake.

RPhilMan1

Icy, I am currently in the server and crits seem to still be on in some cases. The Scout still randomly shoots crits, as well as the Heavy. You can actually see the bullets go red, too, so you know they are still on.

Although, the soldier and demoman do no shoot crits, because the rocket or grenade does not turn red, but still makes the sound.

Capndrake

RPhilMan1 said:
Icy, I am currently in the server and crits seem to still be on in some cases. The Scout still randomly shoots crits, as well as the Heavy. You can actually see the bullets go red, too, so you know they are still on.
They look and sound like crits (And "Critical hit" appears), but on impact they don't deal any more damage than normal. Was that way before.

Icy

Banned
RPhilMan1 said:

Although, the soldier and demoman do no shoot crits, because the rocket or grenade does not turn red, but still makes the sound.

You will still see the animations, etc. But it does normal dmg. I can't change that unless I create a full client side mod, which is retarded.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
JoeFu said:
New Update

Added new option for the sniper rifle to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If disabled, the sniper rifle won't re-zoom after firing a zoomed shot

ohshi-

Awesomesauce.

RPhilMan1

No, I was fine playing in the server.

Icy, all talk is on. You can hear the other team's voice chat and you can hear the dead players.

Javaman

RPhilMan1 said:
No, I was fine playing in the server.

Icy, all talk is on. You can hear the other team's voice chat and you can hear the dead players.

I turned it on last night while playing with Sylar and Kaktheinfected. It must have stayed on for some reason. :lol Strange since I had seen it turn off automatically on new maps in the past. I'll hop on and turn it off.

Icy

Banned
Javaman said:
I turned it on last night while playing with Sylar and Kaktheinfected. It must have stayed on for some reason. :lol Strange since I had seen it turn off automatically on new maps in the past. I'll hop on and turn it off.

FAILURE

1-D_FTW

I kind of take back my complaints against Pyro. Started playing a little bit after not playing for so long, but it's a great class to play assuming you have some competent soldiers on your team. If you can operate on the peripheral (like it's intended), it's pretty balanced.

You're not gonna lead the rush for heavily defended CPs with a pyro, but if you've got teammates who are willing to do that dirty work, pyro works beautifully just like every other class in the game.

I'm convinced the whole stat tracking is what generates all the whining about class imbalance. Been playing just for fun and doing a lot less of the "unfun" soldier duties, and it's so much more enjoyable when you can play your role and not soldier the responsibility for clearing CPs for capture.

It's like a whole nother game. So much fun and a ton more relaxing. Now I see why Hito switched to other classes a while ago. Of course, I did switch to soldier when my team would crap out and we were in stalemates and we needed to push the line forward.

1-D_FTW

Had a really enjoyable game on CTF_Mach2. Not only did it not look like ass, it's actually a pretty fun map. Only played it once, but it might get my vote for best custom map I've played.

Firestorm said:
And get a bunch of MEDICCC MEDICCC MEDICCC

I'm a pretty crappy medic when I do play, so that doesn't bother me. I'll medic those who are worthy and the occasional stray, but I'm pretty deaf to the shouting. Couple days ago I watched some dude on fire screaming for medic and let him die before I realized I should probably heal the second guy on fire. I'm just so used to ignoring the screams, that even when I medic I'm deaf to it. Shouldn't really brag about it, but I did laugh to myself when I saw the guy die and realized I could have turned my gun on him. I'm just that deaf to it.

I love playing medic (almost as much as engy), but it's definitely not a "sit back and relax" class. I'm always paranoid about spies or getting caught from behind, so I'm always hopping and turning around.

It gets annoying when the guy you're healing is oblivious to the pyro chasing you down and refuses to turn around. I feel the pain of that, so whenever I play another class and see a medic healing me, I try to keep him alive.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
they're upping pyro's points mechanism, you'll get points for putting people on fire. probably like .25 points or something like that but yeah, should remove the illusion that pyros aren't good.

Twig

Banned
trh said:
they're upping pyro's points mechanism, you'll get points for putting people on fire. probably like .25 points or something like that but yeah, should remove the illusion that pyros aren't good.
Oh, I like.

I'd also like it if, say, scouts get points for distracting people. Running in and out, just causing chaos in general. Would be awesome.

EDIT: Points for attempted captures, too. I die tons of times RIGHT BEFORE THE CAP. ;_;

Jacobi

Banned
trh said:
They're not good if you have a high ping... That's why I'm playing less on GAF

1-D_FTW

I'm back in love with the pyro. Certain instances he doesn't have any use, but most maps he's awesome.

TIP: Never spray your flame until you're right behind a guy. When you start blowing it from 100 yards away, people can hear the whoosh and turn around in time. You stalk behind them and kill. No warning. Sounds simple, but plenty of pyros give you a ton of warning they're near.

EDIT: I played so long on the GAF server I just accepted the other team could spy on your team when they were dead and spectating. Not supposed to be that way. Should have known.

"EDIT: Points for attempted captures, too. I die tons of times RIGHT BEFORE THE CAP. ;_;"

My idea would be getting points for a cap if you were on it for a certain "percentage" of the cap.

Icy

Banned
Updating now...

A new required update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. As always,
please run hldsupdatetool to update your servers. The specific changes
include:

- Fixed medigun effect not being removed if the medic changed class
while healing
- Fixed being able to zoom too quickly after firing a zoomed shot

Twig

Banned
Teknopathic said:
My idea would be getting points for a cap if you were on it for a certain "percentage" of the cap.
Yeah, I've thought of that before, and I'm a fan of the idea, provided you still get a point even if you only get the last tiny bit of the capture. Reason being that sometimes it's SO CLOSE to capturing, but everyone dies. Then you sneak in and grab that last little bit.

Problem with percentages, though -- you'd have to decide if players get points for just the attempt or only if it captures. If you go by successes only... An example: it might drain quite a bit after you capture a large percentage... but before it drains completely, someone else jumps on and finishes it up. How would that work? Would you still get a point, even though you technically weren't there for a significant percentage of the successful cap?

In my opinion, you should get fractions of points for attempts, and a full point if it's a successful cap.

Hm hm hm.

Hey, while I'm here, I have a question about reserved slots. Excuse my ignorance, because I don't really know much about how servers work. Is it in any way possible to implement reserved slots in such a way that people without a reserved slot can set it to Auto-Join? As I mentioned earlier, it's very frustrating when I want to play on the GAF server, but it's at 23/24 (like right now! Though I'm about to go study prob and stats so it doesn't matter at the moment). I'm perfectly all right with reserved slots; I just don't want to have to babysit it until it hits 22/24 for the mere CHANCE at actually getting in. (Often times I connect so slowly that I get kicked for a reserved slot even though I tried to join as fast as I could.)

Enough bitching from me. Time to study, whoa.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've been through a pretty rough couple of weeks so I haven't had time to play, but I should be on tomorrow night.

1-D_FTW said:
It's like a whole nother game. So much fun and a ton more relaxing. Now I see why Hito switched to other classes a while ago. Of course, I did switch to soldier when my team would crap out and we were in stalemates and we needed to push the line forward.
Haha, well, I've always had a lot of fun with various classes, but soldier is my forte, and I seriously needed to be good at a game after struggling with Counterstrike for years.

Rayven

aka surume
Teknopathetic said:
"EDIT: Points for attempted captures, too. I die tons of times RIGHT BEFORE THE CAP. ;_;"
Yep, I soften em up with pyro and die b4 the cap quite often.

Javaman

fallengorn said:

:lol That thing is kickass!

Looks like they updated Gary's mod with TF2 assets. From the update news....

Update said:
Updates to Garry's Mod have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Garry's Mod

Switched to use the Orange Box Engine
Added support for Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2: Episode Two and Portal
Updated Spawnmenu
Updated gm_construct
New loading screen
New 'Start Game' menus
Lamps now cast shadows (if supported by hardware)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Firestorm said:
My love affair with TF2 will be extended an extra month
Stupid Brawl delay.
me too lol

Finally fixed all the issues with my pc and updated some stuff so i can finally play without getting kicked :D been loving the pyro, fun job.

1-D_FTW

Played some Castle3 last night and they've done a great job. Looks fantastic and they've added a second exit on Stage 2(?). The long ramp outside of the start area has now got a second exit.

Stage 3 is still tough to capture, but it's a little easier than Dustbowl Stage 3 so I can live with that.

I'm not thrilled my competitive nature forced me to play soldier on offense so I could rocket jump the CPs, but otherwise it's now pretty awesome.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
trh said:
Hurraaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

On a side note, the strangest thing was happening last night. I'm guessing it was lag or something, but sometimes when I shot my flamethrower at people, even after being in the path of the flames for a second or two they didn't catch fire. Possibly related, every now and then when I pressed "q" (to switch weapons), the weapon I was switching to popped up, then immediately down, then the old one suddenly reappeared in place. Really weird, and it could get pretty annoying too.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Jacobi

Banned
Crushed said:
Hurraaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

On a side note, the strangest thing was happening last night. I'm guessing it was lag or something, but sometimes when I shot my flamethrower at people, even after being in the path of the flames for a second or two they didn't catch fire. Possibly related, every now and then when I pressed "q" (to switch weapons), the weapon I was switching to popped up, then immediately down, then the old one suddenly reappeared in place. Really weird, and it could get pretty annoying too.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?
high ping, i alway have that on gaf

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The ping number you see only measures one aspect that creates lag, latency. What it doesn't measure is packet loss, when bits of information get lost even though everything else is coming in promptly.

RPhilMan1

Well yesterday I did not have any problems getting in with the reserved slot. But today, for some reason, I can connect but five seconds after I'm in the server, I am kicked for reserved slot.

Interesting.

EDIT: Five minutes later it worked fine.

RPhilMan1

Capndrake said:
Thanks for wanting to let me cap that intel, RPhilMan. Damn you Medic!

Yeah, I was running around trying to find you and then when I dropped the intelligence for you the medic just picked it up and ran off with it. :lol

Jenga

Banned
Capndrake said:
Thanks for wanting to let me cap that intel, RPhilMan. Damn you Medic!
That was me. :3

Also, bring back voting plz. At least to server regulars I guess, playing 2fort for 20+ minutes is not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom