• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Jenga said:
That was me. :3

Also, bring back voting plz. At least to server regulars I guess, playing 2fort for 20+ minutes is not fun.

40 mins of Horus is fun with 4 players. Really!
At least you get the player magnet Granary after that.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Jenga said:
That was me. :3

Also, bring back voting plz. At least to server regulars I guess, playing 2fort for 20+ minutes is not fun.
Of course not, you were one of the 20 people who wanted to snipe.

WE HAD 4 FUCKING SNIPERS

OF COURSE IT WASN'T FUN

STOP SNIPING

Javaman

Crushed said:

WE HAD 4 FUCKING SNIPERS

OF COURSE IT WASN'T FUN

STOP SNIPING

I'm not surprised. It's a good way to stay high in the ranks.

Davidion

Crushed said:

WE HAD 4 FUCKING SNIPERS

OF COURSE IT WASN'T FUN

STOP SNIPING

4 snipers in 2fort? What, one in each entrance and one on each side of the balcony? :lol

Hypothetically, if they're good, they should be able to lock the other team in. :lol

Doytch

Davidion said:
4 snipers in 2fort? What, one in each entrance and one on each side of the balcony? :lol

Hypothetically, if they're good, they should be able to lock the other team in. :lol

Shit, next time we'll need one or two to cover off the sewers too.

1-D_FTW

Pillowknight: I was actually playing really well as a pyro until I saw you joined. I swear.

The last offensive match of Dustbowl 2 kind of ticked me off. We're at the side tunnel where you exit for the side attack on CP2. And I've got my medic hose on the other heavy. This idiot lets a pyro through the gate, doesn't turn around to shoot him (he's just blazing guns straight ahead), and the pyro is behind him and now burning me. So I take my hose off the guy to try fighting him myself and he goes, "Hey, medic, are you fucking retarded?" He seemed to be a decent enough player, but talk about an asshat. How the hell you open the gate, let a pyro run past you, and not see him blew my mind.

EDIT: Oh, you know what, I was kicking ass as a pyro on another server (Tactical Gamer) and joined CircleX cause Granary came onto rotation. That probably explains why the k/d ratio dropped so bad.

Firestorm

Pyroteknikz said:
I've been noticing a lack of regulars in the server lately...

Meh. Too annoying to get into since I don't have a reserved slot and the 23/24 thing makes it so I can't leave it on autojoin. I guess I'm feeling what my friends did when I got them to join my game. I usually just look at my friends list and join a game my friends are on. Then check my friends list for GAFfers who are on.

Davidion

Crushed said:
THEY HAD SNIPERS IN THE SEWERS

But actually, it was FOUR ON THE ROOF.

FOUR.

2fort, all snipers, no autogun nor machetes, best game ever?

omgimaninja said:
Oh well kept getting kicked, I'll hop on again this weekend :)

I think Javaman said me logging on kicked you off, sorry about that.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind losing preferred status if it meant that I wouldn't get kicked off. But well...

Icy

Banned
Class LImits are on. Just not as tight fisted. Crits are off still. Are people who have reserved slots still being kicked? I've dropped it to keeping 2 slots open at all time.. 22/24. But with the amount of regular players lately hammering the server. Seems like 23/24.

Won

Firestorm said:
Meh. Too annoying to get into since I don't have a reserved slot and the 23/24 thing makes it so I can't leave it on autojoin. I guess I'm feeling what my friends did when I got them to join my game. I usually just look at my friends list and join a game my friends are on. Then check my friends list for GAFfers who are on.

ManaByte said:
Yea the 23/24 thing is annoying. I wanted to play with some Gaffers. Guess not.

omgimaninja said:
Oh well kept getting kicked, I'll hop on again this weekend :)

Seriously, reserved slots need to go.

I'm not surprised. It's a good way to stay high in the ranks.

I think people are just stupid. Joined a server without HLstatsx yesterday and got a team with 5 snipers on 2fort.
But stats should be invisible. Don't care for stupid numbers and it is annoying to see my chat spammed by them.

Sciz

Pyroteknikz said:
I've been noticing a lack of regulars in the server lately...

I've been kinda busy lately and given just how much time I've sunk into TF2 over the last couple weeks, it seemed like a good time to take a break. I'll be back to ignite you all soon enough, don't worry.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
i've noticed other servers doing 22 "max" people with an extra 2 for reserved slots, that way there's no frustrating moments when you can't get in even though it's loading and all of that, do you think that could be possible to do?

plus i really think you oughta lower the sniper limit to 3, i can't think of a regular map where 4 snipers don't just cancel eachother out. most of the time 3 are too much.

Jenga

Banned
Crushed said:

WE HAD 4 FUCKING SNIPERS

OF COURSE IT WASN'T FUN

STOP SNIPING
I was a spy/medic in that game D:

Or don't tell me you don't remember our medic/pyro rushes to Blu base? :(

Icy

Banned
trh said:
i've noticed other servers doing 22 "max" people with an extra 2 for reserved slots, that way there's no frustrating moments when you can't get in even though it's loading and all of that, do you think that could be possible to do?

plus i really think you oughta lower the sniper limit to 3, i can't think of a regular map where 4 snipers don't just cancel eachother out. most of the time 3 are too much.

there is no way to do a make 22 with an extra 2. It just doens't work that way. There is no way for the server to know if someone connecting is a on a reserve list or not until they are connected in a slot. I can make it tell the master list there is only 22 slots. But thats about it.

Twig

Banned
Icy said:
Class LImits are on. Just not as tight fisted. Crits are off still. Are people who have reserved slots still being kicked? I've dropped it to keeping 2 slots open at all time.. 22/24. But with the amount of regular players lately hammering the server. Seems like 23/24.
How is that better. That's WORSE.
there is no way to do a make 22 with an extra 2. It just doens't work that way. There is no way for the server to know if someone connecting is a on a reserve list or not until they are connected in a slot. I can make it tell the master list there is only 22 slots. But thats about it.
I was playing on this one server and there were 23/22 people playing. I have no idea how it was done. Might be admins only can go over the limit, I dunno. But it happened.

trh

Icy said:
i'm on a server that works that way, i'm on the reserved slot list and i can get in when there's 22/22 people on and no one gets kicked. i'm just saying there's some way to make it work, would like to see it on your server too.

Kifimbo

Crushed said:
Are you SURE crits are off? Because I got crits a lot yesterday.

From the last page:

"They look and sound like crits (And "Critical hit" appears), but on impact they don't deal any more damage than normal."

Jacobi

Banned
ManaByte said:
Yea the 23/24 thing is annoying. I wanted to play with some Gaffers. Guess not.
Yeah, I don't get bothered with that anymore... Plus no votemapping makes the wait not even worth it.

Are you SURE crits are off?

I'm actually a little dubious about this too, and I understand that the crit sound and animation is still on. But there were a few times playing the other day when I swear I got critted. One time in particular I had just grabbed a health pack up to full health, and then I was dominated by a heavy in 0.23234 seconds. At this point, I think the mod is dropping the ball every so often, but I might just be paranoid.

I'm confused why people are bitching about reserved slots. If you find it that bad, can't you just donate a buck or two or whatever and get one?

I've seen this too. I don't know if it's a mod or what, but it would be nice if possible.

Icy

Banned
trh said:
i'm on a server that works that way, i'm on the reserved slot list and i can get in when there's 22/22 people on and no one gets kicked. i'm just saying there's some way to make it work, would like to see it on your server too.

more than likely the server isn't on many favorites. My server shows up on about 150 ppls differet lists and people will just keep hammering it. it'll fill the other 2 slots.

Won

vultureparade said:
I'm actually a little dubious about this too, and I understand that the crit sound and animation is still on. But there were a few times playing the other day when I swear I got critted. One time in particular I had just grabbed a health pack up to full health, and then I was dominated by a heavy in 0.23234 seconds. At this point, I think the mod is dropping the ball every so often, but I might just be paranoid.

I'm confused why people are bitching about reserved slots. If you find it that bad, can't you just donate a buck or two or whatever and get one?

There are still some kind of damage spikes in the game. Most of the time you will feel it with the shotguns. They can jump from 10 damage to 100 damage (same distance) for no reaseon. I don't know if it has something to do with crits, but it is definitely there.

The reserved slot thing: Not everyone plays that often that he wants to donate money for a server.
I personally don't even like the idea to kick someone randomly from the server. I can wait 1-2 minutes.
Add the lack of rtv, crits and a high ping for me and there is not much left that make the server donate worthy. The people on the server are the only reason why I'm even still on the server. So donating to kick them? Ehhh nope.

I have to say, I'm a bit worried about no map voting--mostly because of Horus.

So what's the lower limit on donations, Icy? I would probably throw in a few bucks to not have to worry about being kicked.

Twig

Banned
The problem isn't that I hate other people for getting reserved slots. It's that it's so goddamn difficult to join the server if it's "full" because you can't auto-join a 23/24 server (and now 22/24 apparently). I have absolutely nothing against reserved slots. Even when I don't have one. I do have an issue with not being able to play with the people I like unless I sit there and babysit until it's at 22/24 (now 21/24).

The other problem (and this is a personal problem) is that it's no longer worth donating. I could say, "I would have donated if blah blah" but it just makes me sound bitter and like an ass. Let's just say I agree with Won. d:

The real problem with not having voting is the maps go on too long. It's set to 40 minutes, and even then it will go over sometimes. It'd be perfect if voting was only enabled like 20 minutes after a map starts.

Cheeto

Posted yet?
2183869229_e006d5b68c.jpg

2183868667_b73e1dd2e6.jpg

2184655424_5d0d192049.jpg

2181837811_e5274b1cbb.jpg

Shame there is no eye patch on the demo... :(
2183868323_b69c230140.jpg

trh

Icy said:
more than likely the server isn't on many favorites. My server shows up on about 150 ppls differet lists and people will just keep hammering it. it'll fill the other 2 slots.
? i'm not really following you. either way it's the european goon/something awful server and it's pretty much always active, but i don't get what that has to do with it. and for clarification, when i said that i can get in when there's 22/22 i mean only through the console, won't work using the server list.

1-D_FTW said:
Pillowknight: I was actually playing really well as a pyro until I saw you joined. I swear.

The last offensive match of Dustbowl 2 kind of ticked me off. We're at the side tunnel where you exit for the side attack on CP2. And I've got my medic hose on the other heavy. This idiot lets a pyro through the gate, doesn't turn around to shoot him (he's just blazing guns straight ahead), and the pyro is behind him and now burning me. So I take my hose off the guy to try fighting him myself and he goes, "Hey, medic, are you fucking retarded?" He seemed to be a decent enough player, but talk about an asshat. How the hell you open the gate, let a pyro run past you, and not see him blew my mind.

EDIT: Oh, you know what, I was kicking ass as a pyro on another server (Tactical Gamer) and joined CircleX cause Granary came onto rotation. That probably explains why the k/d ratio dropped so bad.
Yeah that's probably it. No worries though I can barely scrape by with a 1:1 K : D as pyro on there. I love it though, the competition is ruthless so it's specially hard to get away with mistakes, let alone not playing a class well.

Regarding that guy though, yeah I heard him and he really sounded like a douche.

As an aside, TF2 is so ridiculously thrilling when both teams know what to do and do it well. I was in a game earlier in gravel pit. Where, after being dominated the entire match the opposing team managed a startling offensive and sent the game into overtime. At this point, we still had both A and B , and what ensued was a 5 minute long struggle to hold both A and B that could only be described as epic. You'd have pyros charging in to the point , soldiers sparring over the rooftops, and scouts attempting to control the outer ridges while keeping an eye on A. We eventually lost both points, and lost the match after defending C until about 20 seconds until the end.

Capndrake

I noticed the map is currently on Horus again - Just like it was before the server got active yesterday. And because maps always come in a specific order (Right?) that means every day we'll have to play through the same maps in the same order.

Icy

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
I have to say, I'm a bit worried about no map voting--mostly because of Horus.

So what's the lower limit on donations, Icy? I would probably throw in a few bucks to not have to worry about being kicked.

Amazon has a mininum of $5.00 USD

RPhilMan1

I think map vote is a necessity and should be put back on.

I'd rather have the map change too soon or in the middle of a game rather than playing the same map or round for an hour, then switching to something like Horus.

1-D_FTW

Is there a trick to putting sappers on a sentry? I have the little radio thing out, get next to a sentry, and just place it? I tried placing a couple today and didn't register anything. Do you have to hold the button for a certain time? Now's not the best time to be learning how to play it, but I was desperate to clear some well placed turrets.

PillowKnight said:
Yeah that's probably it. No worries though I can barely scrape by with a 1:1 K : D as pyro on there. I love it though, the competition is ruthless so it's specially hard to get away with mistakes, let alone not playing a class well.

Regarding that guy though, yeah I heard him and he really sounded like a douche.

As an aside, TF2 is so ridiculously thrilling when both teams know what to do and do it well. I was in a game earlier in gravel pit. Where, after being dominated the entire match the opposing team managed a startling offensive and sent the game into overtime. At this point, we still had both A and B , and what ensued was a 5 minute long struggle to hold both A and B that could only be described as epic. You'd have pyros charging in to the point , soldiers sparring over the rooftops, and scouts attempting to control the outer ridges while keeping an eye on A. We eventually lost both points, and lost the match after defending C until about 20 seconds until the end.

I was doing a little better than 1:1, but I came from where I was on a real roll and having some screenshot worthy matches. The last match (before shifting to Granary) we kept having 3 ubered pyros at the start and were just rolling people on Dustbowl. But CircleX is defintely a better place for competition. I just need to get my sharpness back, because I went a while where I wasn't playing anywhere.

And I played a little with Confidence Man today. So hopefully more Gaffers will start popping on once in a while.

The reserved slot thing: Not everyone plays that often that he wants to donate money for a server.
I personally don't even like the idea to kick someone randomly from the server. I can wait 1-2 minutes.
Add the lack of rtv, crits and a high ping for me and there is not much left that make the server donate worthy. The people on the server are the only reason why I'm even still on the server. So donating to kick them? Ehhh nope.

The problem isn't that I hate other people for getting reserved slots. It's that it's so goddamn difficult to join the server if it's "full" because you can't auto-join a 23/24 server (and now 22/24 apparently). I have absolutely nothing against reserved slots. Even when I don't have one. I do have an issue with not being able to play with the people I like unless I sit there and babysit until it's at 22/24 (now 21/24).

The other problem (and this is a personal problem) is that it's no longer worth donating. I could say, "I would have donated if blah blah" but it just makes me sound bitter and like an ass. Let's just say I agree with Won. d:

I can totally see the complaint about no auto join. I'd say that's the one thing I hate about servers with reserved slots, but I think the benefits of the reserved slot system more than make up for it.

And any server worth it's salt is going to have some kind of reserved slot system in place. How else are admins/clan members/regulars supposed to get on? I've seen servers with the 22/22 but with 2 reserved slots possible for a total of 24, and I think it works well. But Icy knows more about that shit than I do.

I'm poor as shit, but even I can manage a one time donation of $5 to play on a smooth server where I have access to a forum thread/the server admin's ear, so I can complain about shit/discuss shit. Where else can you get that?

And I play on the neogaf server to play with people from here too, and if everyone would just throw in $5 bucks, it'd be a server with 24 regulars who are the people I want to play with anyway.

I think map vote is a necessity and should be put back on.

I agree. It's crucial if an admin's not around, and admins can't be around all the time. And on a personal note, I fucking hate almost all of the custom maps. The only one I like is Casbah, and the only other one I can tolerate is Warpath. Castle is poorly designed and Horus is just a nightmare.

RPhilMan1

Like right now, there's four of us on the server playing Horus... good God.

Where the hell is everyone? Four in the afternoon and no one is joining.

Capndrake

1-D_FTW said:
Is there a trick to putting sappers on a sentry? I have the little radio thing out, get next to a sentry, and just place it? I tried placing a couple today and didn't register anything. Do you have to hold the button for a certain time? Now's not the best time to be learning how to play it, but I was desperate to clear some well placed turrets.
A white outline of a sapper should appear on the object you're trying to sap as soon as you get close, then all you do is press fire and it'll be placed right away.

Also, the order of maps on the server is absolutely atrocious. All the same types of maps come right in a row, so basically you've got:

3x (4x?) straightforward CP maps:
(-Well? When I get on it's always already on Horus)
-Horus
-Granary
-Warpath

2x (3x?) CTF maps:
-Casbah
-2fort
(-Stronghold? Didn't stay after 2fort yesterday)

Haven't seen what's after that but I assume Castle2, Dustbowl and then Gravelpit.

Won

vultureparade said:
Haha, some people do work.

Normally we can get the server full at this time. Now it is 10:30 pm here in europe and still only 4 players on. First Horus then Granary now Warpath and oh look the server is dead again. You can't even get random players on it and regulars don't care at the moment.

Icy

Banned
map cycle..

cp_dustbowl
cp_horus_b3
cp_granary
cp_lazytown_2_v1.bsp
cp_warpath
ctf_2fort
cp_gravelpit
cp_well
ctf_casbah
tc_hydro
cp_castle2

Capndrake

Icy said:
map cycle..

cp_dustbowl
cp_horus_b3
cp_granary
cp_lazytown_2_v1.bsp
cp_warpath
ctf_2fort
cp_gravelpit
cp_well
ctf_casbah
tc_hydro
cp_castle2
Didn't see Lazytown after we finished Granary just now, went straight to Warpath.

Twig

Banned
I'm poor as shit, but even I can manage a one time donation of $5 to play on a smooth server where I have access to a forum thread/the server admin's ear, so I can complain about shit/discuss shit. Where else can you get that?
I could get it other places pretty easy, I bet. I was planning to donate eventually before crits got turned off (and hell, even before reserved-slots-for-GAF-members got turned off). Literally the only reason I still play on GAF is for the people, because I like you people. D: But until the server goes back to the way it used to be, my reasons for donating are almost nonexistent.

Speaking of, I'd donate to make things go back to the way they used to be. Crits on, rtv, GAF members all have reserved slots (not just donators). (Oh but no Quake sounds. Class limits, yes.) Hell, I'd donate just to turn reserved slots OFF. If I donate will Icy actually start listening to some of my complaints, or just continue calling me an idiot because I don't like what he's doing? I doubt it.

But whatever, it's obvious nothing's going to change. I give up. I'm sure everyone's just annoyed with me by now. ;_;
HAven't played spy in a while, dunno if they changed it, but... Should be instant, bro. O: Walk up, click, sappers ahoy. Maybe you were having lag problems? I dunno!

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:

And I played a little with Confidence Man today. So hopefully more Gaffers will start popping on once in a while.

I don't know why I'm telling you this :lol but make sure you're not invisible. I'm pretty sure invisible spies can't put sappers on anything. Also if you really want to piss off an engineer, stab him near the sentry before you put the sapper on.

1-D_FTW

Javaman said:
I don't know why I'm telling you this :lol but make sure you're not invisible. I'm pretty sure invisible spies can't put sappers on anything. Also if you really want to piss off an engineer, stab him near the sentry before you put the sapper on.

Well I don't play on the gaf server anyways, but thank you. I was trying to do it while invisible. Did manage to stab the guy the second time I failed with the sapper, but I got 1 point for killing him and his sentry got 10 points for killing me... so I figured I'd stop that strategy. I don't really care about stats, but that one caught my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom