• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

I played Mach2 the other day and really thought it was good. Based on those positive impressions, I can believe how Mach3 would be even better.

RPhilMan1

Icy said:
map cycle..

cp_dustbowl
cp_horus_b3
cp_granary
cp_lazytown_2_v1.bsp
cp_warpath
ctf_2fort
cp_gravelpit
cp_well
ctf_casbah
tc_hydro
cp_castle2

Why is Horus still in there? Does anyone actually want that map in the rotation?

n0b

Actually I've started to not mind horus all that much, but still, the fact is everybody on the server drops when it comes up.

Icy, crits were working today. :(

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
yay horus killed the server once again.

ALSo i know you hate having people tell you what they want all the time but fuck it, you should lower the time/round limit per map. that way if the teams are really shitty you don't have to sit and wait for forever until it changes map, plus it's just more fun. whatever.

ps it's 5 am and i'm just not in a good mood which is why i was bitching so much... yeah..

Teknoman

Is the server still the same as the one in the initial post? Because I see this one, and the address listed in the NeoGAF Steam group.

Icy, crits were working today. :(

So, after some none technical testing, I've determined that the crit mod is broken and allows some crits to go through.

I was crit by a heavy and a pyro the other day. My feeling right now is that the mod has trouble handling weapons with multiple bullets or reports. It seems to work fine with the rocket launcher and grenade launcher, but this is the second time I've been crit by a heavy.

This now means that some classes have a significant advantage over other classes whenever the crit mod decides to not work correctly.

It should just be turned off until they fix the problem or until we can find another mod that actually removes crits correctly. I hate crits, but it's unfair for some classes to have them and other classes to not.

I also think all customs should be removed from the map cycle except for Casbah. The other maps should remain on the server and be playable from a map vote or an admin switch, but right now the map cycle and no voting is killing the server. It took me forever to get a game going last night.

Oh yeah, Icy, any idea why I couldn't switch the map to Casbah last night? People were requesting it, but I couldn't manually change it through the admin menu.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
vultureparade said:
So, after some none technical testing, I've determined that the crit mod is broken and allows some crits to go through.
i'm fairly certain this is true as well, apart from taking down guys incredibly quickly, i also went down from two heavy "crits" last night. the heavy was in medium range so he should have dealt 5-30x2 damage - or if he was actually close which i wouldn't say he was he would have dealt 50-55x2 - but i was way down in the reds after the very first shot.

vultureparade said:
I also think all customs should be removed from the map cycle except for Casbah. The other maps should remain on the server and be playable from a map vote or an admin switch, but right now the map cycle and no voting is killing the server. It took me forever to get a game going last night.
and i agree fully with this

Firestorm

I'm not a fan of casbah but I know the rest of you are. warpath is the best custom. I'd like to keep that, but get rid of every other custom (and maybe casbah).

Icy

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'm not a fan of casbah but I know the rest of you are. warpath is the best custom. I'd like to keep that, but get rid of every other custom (and maybe casbah).

request denied.

Capndrake said:
It's really hard to get a game going now :(

Yeah, I noticed the last two times I came on (10pm pacific), the server was empty. That's such a drastic change from what it used to be: so full I couldn't even get on with my reserved slot.

1-D_FTW

Well GAF has never really had 24 gaffers filling it up at once. A lot of pubbers have been a big part of the mix. And if you're a pubber, you can throw a dart and find a better server. The gaf community part is great, but it's only special for those of us gaffers. I can't imagine why any pubber would spend too long on that server. Once you start noticing everything that's broken and the awful map list, what's their incentive to stay?

EDIT: Finally played Mach3. It's gotten some nice graphical touches since Mach2 and is definitely a quality map. Turbine is also a nice CTF map (It remember playing it once on the Gaf server a long time ago.) But Mach and Turbine are fun CTF change of paces.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Well GAF has never really had 24 gaffers filling it up at once. A lot of pubbers have been a big part of the mix. And if you're a pubber, you can throw a dart and find a better server. The gaf community part is great, but it's only special for those of us gaffers. I can't imagine why any pubber would spend too long on that server. Once you start noticing everything that's broken and the awful map list, what's their incentive to stay?

EDIT: Finally played Mach3. It's gotten some nice graphical touches since Mach2 and is definitely a quality map. Turbine is also a nice CTF map (It remember playing it once on the Gaf server a long time ago.) But Mach and Turbine are fun CTF change of paces.

There's nothing broken about the server. Thats the sad part. Pubbers do not like custom maps. Horus and a few others are large downloads. Thats fine. a good portion of gaffers who play on it like them. So they will stay. Don't like the maps? Thats fine. Go elsewhere.

Also the server historically along with most others are dead after 10pm pst. This was true before the holidays. Throughout the holiday there was a huge surge of orange box players and people off from school,etc and were on late. Its back to the real world and time now. So people are not on as late. Its literally back to the way it was 2 weeks before christmas. To sit there and assert its because the server is broken, or because of a map you dislike. is pretty dumb, especially when you don't have the information in front of you to back up your assertions or claims.

Twig

Banned
There's nothing broken about the server.
I think you're an idiot.

Seriously, though, I'm willing to bet most pubbers don't want crits off. I think that's what he was getting at. It's only the hardcore "zomg crits is cheap" fools that want crits off.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and he was talking about something else entirely. Shit happens.

JoeFu

Banned
The only crit I have problems with are the soldier ones.

I when I'm 10 feet from the wall with full health, and a crit rocket misses me but hits the wall, which im far away from... and I die? thats just stupid.

Twig

Banned
JoeFu said:

I when I'm 10 feet from the wall with full health, and a crit rocket misses me but hits the wall, which im far away from... and I die? thats just stupid.
That's pretty fucked up. I can't argue with that, haha. I don't think I've ever died from splash crit rocket damage in one hit unless I was a scout, though. Maybe I'm just lucky. d:

n0b

JoeFu said:

I'd say heavy crits annoy me most, because the whole point of the miniguns horrible spread is to force the heavy to keep his spacing right, and when a heavy gets crits it means any idiot can hold down the fire button from across the map and get some kills.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
There's nothing broken about the server. Thats the sad part. Pubbers do not like custom maps. Horus and a few others are large downloads. Thats fine. a good portion of gaffers who play on it like them. So they will stay. Don't like the maps? Thats fine. Go elsewhere.

Also the server historically along with most others are dead after 10pm pst. This was true before the holidays. Throughout the holiday there was a huge surge of orange box players and people off from school,etc and were on late. Its back to the real world and time now. So people are not on as late. Its literally back to the way it was 2 weeks before christmas. To sit there and assert its because the server is broken, or because of a map you dislike. is pretty dumb, especially when you don't have the information in front of you to back up your assertions or claims.

The timers are bad. Other servers have matches that play a couple of well timed matches and then move on. Gaf tends to linger on forever, or worse, suddenly quit at the worst moment. I haven't played a ton of servers, but I've seen this occur no where else.

The spectate when dead is broken. Fog of war is supposed to mean something. Your server is the only server I've ever seen where you can spectate the other team when dead and discover exactly where all their sentries/teleports/etc are.

There was a time when you used to have auto-balance and I went a week where I could only join the blue team (I was blue no matter what team I picked.) I know it wasn't just me, because the Storyteller was having a similiar thing. In fact, in one match, he kept quiting and restarting to try and get on the other team. We were in sudden death, he died, quit, restarted to try and get to the other team, and RESPAWNED alive on the same team while in sudden death. He had two lives in sudden death and was placed on the team he didn't want both times. He was my medic, I witnessed him die, saw him respawn, and heard him tell the story about it. So this isn't a second-hand story.

EDIT: It was sudden death.

I've quit playing this server, but it's been pointed out that only rocket crits and demo crits are disabled, fast fire crits still work (despite being unnecessary since everyone's around 4-5 percent of occurances and it's just unnecessary whining. Crits may not be ideal, but it's better than randomly rebalancing a perfectly balanced game) I can only wonder what kind of balance there was when you were rebalancing all the damage for all classes.

The map rotation is horrible. I like quit a few customs. One server I'm playing on has Castle3, Mach3, Grand Canyon and I like them all. I'm curious to play the rest of their customs because they have really good taste.

I've played on other servers that have had reserved slots (or say they do on their splash screen) and they aren't constantly kicking the last player to join.

SECOND EDIT: I forgot about the whole various timer schemes that flat out broke numerous maps. Not opinion that they broke, but broke if you had any idea of what the game was about. If you had any skill at the game, it would take you 5 minutes of play to see it broke the map.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things, but it's always something. The gaf players rock, but the server leaves a lot to be desired and I don't blame pub players for choosing others. I love the gaffers and I've chosen others. I'm not trying to actively rag on the server, but I'm pointing out why others that don't belong to Gaf would move on. Plus you asked for examples, so those are some.

JoeFu said:

To be fair, a heavy can take a crit to the head (full strength and no medic) and survive it. The second rocket will kill him, but he survives a direct hit. Every other class you have to lead because rockets are so slow and you'd never hit a thing if you actually aimed for a person instead of a spot. So no splash on the soldier would make him worthless. Slow moving and unable to shoot anything.

saelz8

Icy is this your WoW clan on vent?

I just joined randomly to see if anyone wanted to play TF2 and it was full of people. :lol

Icy

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
Thought Badlands was getting an official update soon. Is there a community produced version?

there's 4 community versions being made.. the official one won't be seen until march.

Icy

Banned
Quellex said:
Icy is this your WoW clan on vent?

I just joined randomly to see if anyone wanted to play TF2 and it was full of people. :lol

Not my clans. About 5 different wow guilds use it, 1 or DoAC and people for various other games.

PotatoeMasher said:
Thought Badlands was getting an official update soon. Is there a community produced version?

The official update isn't going to be the classic Badlands, it'll be a redesigned cp level. The one I played was ctf.

Icy

Banned
Yes the no-crits are not 100% working. the latest patch from valve changed some of the formulas. Should be fixed soon.

Icy

Banned
Richardfun said:
Wanted to play a game last night, around midnight GMT+1, but the server was completely empty. Too bad.

Yeah I turned on badlands. and LIke i've explained, it doesn't matter if its a great map or shitty map. Large downloads = Fail. Badlands Classic is a larger download than Horus. 55mb.

Won

Timezones Icy, timezones! (badlands was around 5:00 am GMT+1) :p

Richardfun said:
Wanted to play a game last night, around midnight GMT+1, but the server was completely empty. Too bad.

Just jump on the server and invite some players. But yeah server is dead till 2:00-3:00 am at the moment.

Davidion

Richardfun said:

I would have stuck around if I knew you and others would have been on. <3.

Yeah The new badlands looks great, though it looks like an exact remake of the classic map and not the new altered one that Valve's been pushing. You can't play that map with 4 people though so I left. :lol

Icy

Banned
Crits are fixed and gone.

However when using a heavy's run there's around a 1% chance of a crit. How do you know it happens? Valve change something in the client code. Yes you'll see the special charged up shot. But its only crit dmg if the "Crit" thing pops on the guy you shoot up.

Kifimbo

Icy said:
Crits are fixed and gone.

However when using a heavy's run there's around a 1% chance of a crit. How do you know it happens? Valve change something in the client code. Yes you'll see the special charged up shot. But its only crit dmg if the "Crit" thing pops on the guy you shoot up.

If you are responsible, thanks for ruining the only decent Horus game I've ever had.

Jacobi

Banned
Won said:
Just jump on the server and invite some players. But yeah server is dead till 2:00-3:00 am at the moment.
That didn't really work yesterday... But maybe EU Gaffers should meet at a different server anyway

n0b

I joined a bunch of other gaffers away in another server, and I'd say even with the sometimes questionable changes to the server, I have a lot more fun on the gaf server. Just too many extra idiots that I don't see on the gaf server. :(

Had a guy telling me how to play the game the whole time while being the worst medic I have ever played with. He kept switching to other people when I was in the middle of fighting giant groups of players, even when he was in no danger himself. Though pillowknight abandoned me a few times when I could have kept us both alive too. D:

Firestorm

I love how good it feels when you go on a huge rampage and finally beat old scores. Finally beat my Soldier score yesterday (went from 12 to 19) defending the first point of Dustbowl 2. Finally got overwhelmed by about 4 or 5 people (engineer didn't help considering he built a sentry which blocked my shots x.x). I got quite a few crits though. I guess that's what Valve was doing with them. Giving players on a rampage an extra boost for that really memorable experience.

n0b said:
I joined a bunch of other gaffers away in another server, and I'd say even with the sometimes questionable changes to the server, I have a lot more fun on the gaf server. Just too many extra idiots that I don't see on the gaf server. :(

Had a guy telling me how to play the game the whole time while being the worst medic I have ever played with. He kept switching to other people when I was in the middle of fighting giant groups of players, even when he was in no danger himself. Though pillowknight abandoned me a few times when I could have kept us both alive too. D:
Lies! Yeah that guy was being a dumbass, which is why I switched to medic.

As far as leaving you, that last time I left because a pyro ambushed us, if i'd stayed I wouldve been dead in seconds. If I ran forward, I'd run straight into enemy fire, if I stayed in place the pyro would have eaten me alive. IMO my ubercharge is more valuable than your life in that situation.

In defense of the medic who switches targets, multiple players are much more valuable than a single player, so if someone else is terminal even if you are fighting against huge group of players it's often best to focus on them to get them back into action. This is mucky territory though, I usually heal whoever has the lowest health, which means that the heavy that's standing there firing away will get a bit lonely--it's definitely a trade off but I usually expect the heavy to back off if it's too much for him.

Watching you play, I couldn't help but nitpick, here's what I saw. You need to learn how to pace yourself with your team. If you see yourself surrounded , retreat, before things get rough. It only takes a second to bring a heavy down when four or more enemies are firing. If you manage to find a more advantageous position (Ie, you get to open fire before they get to open fire), or higher ground which makes you a harder target to hit with rockets rockets.

Basically consider your position, there is a huge difference between standing in the open with 40 hp and standing at a corner(or on higher ground) with 40 hp. If a medic runs, a good 90% of the time that's also your cue to run and find a more advantageous position. The position we were in when I ran at the end of the match was a very very poor one; we were on lower ground, the enemy had a very easy route to flank us through, and I couldn't actually see but i'm sure we were outnumbered 3:1 considering how fast you went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom