• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Subject: [hlds_linux] Team Fortress 2 Server Tags Coming Soon

One of the things that customers have been consistently requesting from
us a better method of finding game servers with the specific settings
that they like. Some players want servers with friendly-fire on, or TF2
birthday mode, or 24/7 Dustbowl, and so on. Other players specifically
want none of these, asking us how they can find servers with no
changes.
At the same time, we've watched as server operators have increasingly
filled out their server names with descriptions of their custom
settings.

We've been working on a solution to these problems that we hope will
make sense, solving the player's desire to search for specific
settings,
and the server operator's desire to have better descriptive tools for
their server. The concept is similar to web page metatags, where server
operators can specify descriptive tags in any manner, and clients can
search for servers by specifying the tags they're interested in. Some
tags are automatically filled in, based on server convars. For example,
in TF2 we've removed the restrictions on a variety of server options
(like friendly fire & respawn wave times), and now the tag system will
automatically add a tag when they're changed, so that customers who
want
to play on these servers can easily find them.

Click here: http://www.steamgames.com/v/img/whatsnew/serverTags.jpg for
a screenshot of the new server browser interface that players will
have.
As you can see, we've put a new tab onto it called "Custom". Servers
with tags will appear in this list, where the player can specify a list
of tags they're interested in. The "Add Common Tags" button will give
them a list of the top 20 tags in use across all the servers, so
they're
able to easily choose the popular tags. Untagged servers will show up
in
the old Internet games list.

Jason

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
rakka said:
not being able to connect at 22-23/24 is also a valve issue? (i have a slot or supposed to at least...)

hopefully it does

Yes, I'm just basing it off of what other people are saying in other servers. They are having the same problems.

Firestorm

Team Fortress 2

* Badlands released
* Changes to Dustbowl
o Added a new access point to the stage2 attacker gates (drop-down left from spawn), allowing attackers a way to reach the left route without being subjected to the spam and sentry gun fire
o Fixed a gap in stage 3, cap 1 that allowed a player with to wiggle above the "ceiling" clip
o Fixed a gap behind stage 1, cap 1 house
o Fixed a high perch on stage1 cap1 house roof
o Fixed a perch offering view of nodraw textures and the skybox (stage1 cap2 rock barrier)
o Fixed a few places where rockets/demoman pipes could pass through non-solid models
o Sealed up a gap over stage1 lower startgate
o Clipped off tall windows in stage 3 to prevent sentry guns from behind built behind them
* Changes to Capture the Flag Well
o Fixed trains not starting on map spawn
o Removed cap association from red spawns that were spamming console
* Changes to Granary
o Removed spawn timing advantage from the middle (from -3 to 0)
o Fixed several model perch exploits (red, blue cp1 gate and blue cp2 gate pipe)
o Fixed a few places where players could get stuck between containers and silos
o Adjusted playerclips on red container that made it appear like players were floating
* Added a small delay (200 ms) before a zoomed sniper shot can get a critical hit
* Added server side convar mp_fadetoblack. Same functionality as Counter-Strike, used mainly during in-person tournaments and LAN events
* Added flamethrower "sizzle" sound when the Pyro is hitting a target
* Updated explosion debris to be a bit darker
* Fixed idle players not being kicked from the server if mp_allowspectators was set to 0
* Added ctf_well to the default mapcycle.txt file
* Added ctf_well to the default motd.txt file
* Fixed floor tile material type
* Fixed some weapon damage info missing from TF2 game stats
* Made some small changes to the Demoman viewmodel that were causing performance problems
* Added exec'ing a .cfg file on the client when you select a class to play.
* Added a new timer to the HUD to show the value of mp_timelimit. This is useful if you're playing a timed match on 2Fort, where you only set a timelimit on the server and no other win conditions.
* Added server log entry for buildings destroyed by their owner
* Fixed sentry gun shadows being clipped
* Updated glass material

Awesome. But why do they keep screwing with the sniper? My friend already dislikes playing the game after it messed with the quickswitch. Now with critical hits (I think it includes headshots?) requiring 200ms from zoom, it's even worse =/

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
OH man this stuff is good very freaking good indeed, now all they need to do is the weapon unlock stuff and they chess game is won!

Ferrio

Banned
soldier.png

demolady.png

Xizk

Firestorm said:
Awesome. But why do they keep screwing with the sniper? My friend already dislikes playing the game after it messed with the quickswitch. Now with critical hits (I think it includes headshots?) requiring 200ms from zoom, it's even worse =/

They already changed it last patch. And nobody has complained so I don't think it's a problem.

Soldier and Demolady
Forget sexual fanservice. What I really want to know is if the female Engineer builds those turrets from Portal.

Also, I didn't even realize that the Sniper got nerfed again, but it still sucks. Do they honestly think every Sniper is a miracle worker?

1-D_FTW

KittenMaster said:
Forget sexual fanservice. What I really want to know is if the female Engineer builds those turrets from Portal.

Also, I didn't even realize that the Sniper got nerfed again, but it still sucks. Do they honestly think every Sniper is a miracle worker?

Probably would be easier/better to just only give them one point for a head shot kill (Instead of 2.) But there's no denying that everyone kind of gets lumped into one set of points, and the good sniper has a ton more points in first.

EDIT: And those observations are based on somebody who isn't constantly followed by a medic. Obviously a soldier/heavy/medic combo is gonna be able to consistently compete; but that's requiring the efforts of two. And I've seen sniper/medic combos too, so even that can be negated.

Capndrake

Quellex said:
11AM PST is the word in the streets.
The news says so, yeah:

On Thursday, February 14 at 11 am PST, all PC versions of Team Fortress 2, the class-based multiplayer action game named PC Game of the Year by Gamespy.com, will receive its largest update since the product was first made available on October 10, 2007, as part of Valve's best-selling Orange Box compilation.
45 minutes :D

1-D_FTW

And the more they dick around, the harder the server is gonna get hammered when they finally do release. I don't know why they even give times/dates. Just surprise us next time.

Jacobi

Banned
Ferrio said:
female tf2 pics
I actually was wondering which character would be the best as a female, came to the conclusion that I'd choose scout (hey, there ARE female TF2-players, it's kidn of unfair for them)

Davidion

Jacobi said:
I actually was wondering which character would be the best as a female, came to the conclusion that I'd choose scout (hey, there ARE female TF2-players, it's kidn of unfair for them)

Somebody should just flat out design all-female character models. I'd love to see the lady versions of everyone, especially the Pyro (maybe she can have a ponytail taped to the back of the gas mask or something).

Jacobi

Banned
[CUBE]CaptainJacko: ITS DOWNLOADING
[CUBE]CaptainJacko: ITS DOWNLOADING
[CUBE]CaptainJacko: ITS UP
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

saelz8

I was thinking the map was a bit crowded at first, but I think it'll be fun. Lots of options.

Spy's wet dream, no doubt about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom