• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Here's a couple of pics from tonight. . .

10olkj6.jpg

:lol

There seems to be a bug whenever I switch classes in the beginning of a round...
dn0lsh.jpg

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I got a similar bugged message while playing on dustbowl today. Each time I died it told me I beat my previous best of 5 kills with a sentry... lol my best is 15, and I wasn't an engineer. haha

Firestorm

I definitely need to change my taunt button next time I play. I just went in on dustbowl as spy, blew up a teleporter, sentry, stabbed someone, then taunted right away as I tried to hit re-disguise >_>;

Xizk

Iadien said:
I got a similar bugged message while playing on dustbowl today. Each time I died it told me I beat my previous best of 5 kills with a sentry... lol my best is 15, and I wasn't an engineer. haha

My favorite bug was that I got a headshot record of 1 as soldier the first round I got to play.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Did those bugs override your stats?

When I tried out badlands as a scout I died in a couple of minutes and it told me that I beat the record for longest life with 33+ minutes. :\

Iadien

fallengorn said:

When I tried out badlands as a scout I died in a couple of minutes and it told me that I beat the record for longest life with 33+ minutes. :\

Not mine.

Capndrake

fallengorn said:

I've got 1437 minutes as my longest Medic time now :\

1-D_FTW

That POS server that effed with my stats actually shows over 69 hours for personal soldier life record (Different from General Records.) And it added 69 hours to my playtime. Valve should ban asshole admins that do that.

I've got enough favorites that I'm not venturing anywhere else once Goldrush is released. Competent admins FTW.

Javaman

fallengorn said:

They don't seem to be messed up. I've been having performance issues the last couple of months where a bunch of packets get lost or something whenever I enter an actiony area. Whenever spies sap my crap it sometimes runs like a slideshow. :(

Xizk

Javaman said:
They don't seem to be messed up. I've been having performance issues the last couple of months where a bunch of packets get lost or something whenever I enter an actiony area. Whenever spies sap my crap it sometimes runs like a slideshow. :(

Yeah performance just keeps dropping with every update. Can't even play sniper because it's almost impossible to hit anything, and I just upgraded my computer and still get massive fps drops.

But have been using mat_queue_mode 2 and threaded optimization is on in the nvidia control panel and that seems to make everything perfect. But it causes some crashes so hopefully Valve can fix the performance like it was a while back when It was near perfect even on my old computer.

Icy

Banned
Its unplayable on my PC now. So I don't even bother. and with all the bugs and exploits on badlands, its like why bother.

Twig

Banned
Well, have you at least fixed reserved slots, yet? I don't mean to be a bitch about it, but it's been some time since they stopped working for some people, and I know I PM'd you my ID a while ago..

Icy

Banned
LouieGeetoo said:
Icy, how often do you update reserved slots?

Sorry to hear it's unplayable for you. Have you tried any of the optimization detailed here?: http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html (The guide says it's for HL2, but it works for any game running on the Steam engine.) It's helped my performance.

In one of the last patches Valve broke something with the addons they are supposed to be issuing a patch this week adressing it. I'm trying to look into other methods for doing reserve slots that doens't use the broke functions.

Iadien

Capndrake said:
I've got 1437 minutes as my longest Medic time now :\

My longest life is now messed up also.

Longest life:139:48 (as Demoman)

stupid shit.

Twig

Banned
Icy said:
In one of the last patches Valve broke something with the addons they are supposed to be issuing a patch this week adressing it. I'm trying to look into other methods for doing reserve slots that doens't use the broke functions.
Ah, good to hear it. Carry on. :D

Ventrue

I wanted to share a series of emails I sent to Robin Walker, I hope it isn't out of place in here.

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 2:39 AM
To: Robin Walker
Subject: TF2 as a Teaching Tool

Hello Mr. Robin Walker,

I am sure many people have already e-mailed you to say how fun they have found Team Fortress 2. However, I hope I am the first to email you about the educational benefits of your game. You see, I am a teacher at a primary school in Sydney, Australia and I like to use unconventional methods to teach.

Now, I know the educational value of Team Fortress 2 may not be clear on the outset, but it is really very simple. Team Fortress teaches teamwork, hand-eye co-ordination and human anatomy. In fact, I have found on occasion that Team Fortress 2 is even more accurate than my books. For example, in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the area of the human body known as the 'back' is defined as: '1 a (1): the rear part of the human body especially from the neck to the end of the spine.' Now, I assumed that such a source as the Merriam-Webster dictionary would be accurate, so imagine my surprise when I learned of the spy class in your game and discovered that this was incorrect! As we all know, the back is indeed an area that covers almost the entirety of the human body except for a small region on the stomach known as the 'front.' I have sent a strongly worded email to the publishers of this dictionary informing them of their mistake and have included the proper definition '1 a (1): Pretty much everywhere. E.g. if you are shooting someone in the face, they can still backstab you.'

I also included a picture for them to use in the next edition:

FIGURE 1.1
ilw3h3.jpg

Your description of back has helped me in many ways. For example, my history lessons about the murder of Julius Caesar have become far more historically accurate.

FIGURE 2.1
3504awp.jpg

However, there is one truly inspirational story I would like to share, that of Billy, the youngest in my class. Billy has had a very hard life and has a very low standard of education, but he certainly loves games and movies. I have tried to teach him about life using not only Team Fortress 2 but through famous movies. I think that Team Fortress 2 has helped in my explanation of the film 'Hard Boiled.'

FIGURE 3.1
acct9z.jpg

It has also helped in my interpretation of Billy's favourite movie, 'Back to the Future.'

FIGURE 4.1
sf9cwg.jpg

SINCE WRITING THE ABOVE, SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED. I was taking my class on a road trip. I told Billy to get into the back of the school bus. But, instead, he got into the driver's seat because he thought it was the back! Billy accidentally started the school bus and rolled down the hill into a busy highway. Upon impact with oncoming traffic, Billy was thrown from the bus and his entire torso was twisted around approximately 180 degrees. Billy will never be able to watch 'Back to the Future' again. He will be permanently crippled and will need to use a special device to get to school every day. I trusted you, Mr. Walker. I relied on your for my curriculum, and I feel as though you have BETRAYED me in a particularly VICIOUS manner, the name of which escapes me!!!.

If only I had not been backstabbed in the face, Billy would still be able to walk!!!.

Sincerely,
Me

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Me
Subject: RE: TF2 as a Teaching Tool

Hi,

This is the best feedback email we've ever received.

I've cc'd Matt Boone on this, the 'programmer' of the knife code. Now that you've explained what the whole front-stabbing problem is, in single syllable words & detailed diagrams, he has no excuses left!

Robin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Robin Walker
Subject: A tale of woe and sorrows on the High Seas.

Salutations!

I am known as Ferdinand Magellan, once famous explorer of the circumference of the earth. I am well known for my mighty achievements in the fields of exploration and travel. I have rounded the W. Indies. I discovered a safe passage through the sharp ice that tips the Americas to the south. I fought deadly battles with strange opponents. In my perilous journeys, I became the first man to cross all the meridans of the globe we call Earth.

It was on one such voyage, in 1520, that I discovered an orange crate washed up upon the shore. Sadly, it did not contain oranges, which might've helped to stave off the scurvy. We've lost a good dozen men to the ravages of't already.

But it contained bountiful treasures almost as good! We prized open this ancient chest to discover wondrous magical steam work devices. I have been enthralled by the strange charm of one in particular, a device the oracles herald as 'Team Fortress 2.' Above and beyond sampling its gaming delights, I have become near driven to madness with the achievements it offers me. Why, I may have a strait named after me, but imagine if I got 25 headshots!

However, one achievement in particular has cursed me with its siren song. It is known as 'World Traveler,' and it is a mangy dog. Long ago, I did indeed travel and play a complete round of each of the six original maps. And yet, the achievement eludes me with the progress bar stuck at 6/6! I resent the implication that I am not a world traveler! I have played every stage of Hydro and Dustbowl, even in the same round once! I offer you a map of my voyages thus (my route be lightly marked):

103cpz8.jpg

I have heard strange tales of faroff places; to the East, Well (CTF), to the icy south, Badlands. However, I traveled to all known maps before these were released and have traveled to them myself since! If't be any help to you, my Steam - powered moniker be []. E'en if you cannot aid me, at least know of my plight.

Here is a picture of me enjoying a game of Hydro.

md2w7l.jpg

Thanke,

Magellan

Capndrake

I think for World Traveller you need to be on a server before it switches to a specific map, and then finish the first match to make it count. Or just start a game on each map yourself with Create Server and finish a match on each. Worked for me anyway.

Great emails though :lol

fallout

:lol Excellent stuff Ventrue. And guess what! It seems you were somewhat successful!

# Fixed Badlands exploits and missing textures
# Fixed tv_enable resetting maxplayers value
# Fixed a case where a spy stabbing from the front of a player would score a backstab
# Fixed stats being reported incorrectly for some players
# Dropped weapons now replenish half of your max ammo when picked up
# Added exec'ing a cfg\.cfg file on the client when you select a class to play (for real this time!)
# Reverted mp_forcecamera changes from previous release and set TF2 default back to 1

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index...300,3480,3482,3483,3900,3920,3990,4000,4560,6

Javaman

WOOHOO I think I've found the stuttering problem thats been messing me up for the last month. Pretty much any time people talk while there is action on the screen everything turns into a slideshow with me hopping around several dozen feet at a time. It got so bad that TF2 crashed with an error message of "Buffer overflow in net message". I futzed around with some settings and the solution was either disabling UPNP on my linksys router, or due to my steam download setting being set to 56k instead of DSL. I'm thinking it's the latter one but who knows. :) :)

I really don't like the sound of that. :eek:P

Javaman said:
I really don't like the sound of that. :eek:P

Ouch, that's not good for engies. Well, at least didn't mess with the ammo count of supply boxes on the maps, right?

Also, I don't know what that jet-engine sound from my mic is. I don't actually play sitting on top of a jet engine and it's pretty quiet where my computer is. Maybe it's feedback from the actual computer? No idea.

SleazyC

Hey guys, my motherboard fried at the start of Jan. and I still haven't got it back from RMA so I'm waiting on it and twidling my thumbs wanting to play TF2 really badly.

Not sure if this has been posted here but I found some awesome TF2 griefing videos by Team Roomba via a friend earlier today.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

May be a bit late on these, but I fell out of my chair laughing while watching these a couple times. Hope to have my motherboard back soon so I can jump back in.

Javaman

nakedsushi said:
Ouch, that's not good for engies. Well, at least didn't mess with the ammo count of supply boxes on the maps, right?

Also, I don't know what that jet-engine sound from my mic is. I don't actually play sitting on top of a jet engine and it's pretty quiet where my computer is. Maybe it's feedback from the actual computer? No idea.

Is your mic cable running anywhere close to a fan? It may be picking up some EM interference. You could probably test it out by going into window's volume controls options and futzing with the microphone volume to get some microphone sound going through your speakers.

My mic is nowhere near a fan. It's in front of my speaker, but it's a one-directional mic so I don't think it should pick up the speaker that much since it's not pointed at it. It could be that the mic goes into the jack in the back of my computer and my computer has a pretty loud fan, I guess. Seems weird that THAT end of the mic is picking it up though.

SleazyC said:
Hey guys, my motherboard fried at the start of Jan. and I still haven't got it back from RMA so I'm waiting on it and twidling my thumbs wanting to play TF2 really badly.

Not sure if this has been posted here but I found some awesome TF2 griefing videos by Team Roomba via a friend earlier today.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

May be a bit late on these, but I fell out of my chair laughing while watching these a couple times. Hope to have my motherboard back soon so I can jump back in.
That is the most I have laughed in awhile while sitting at a computer. Thank you! :lol :lol

firex

yeah, I think I remember seeing this manual like a month or so ago and I didn't post about it because I figured it was old.

Capndrake

I really hope you guys can all get on earlier tomorrow and Sunday, I haven't played with a lot of other GAFers all week because you start playing like an hour after I go to bed and stop an hour before I wake up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom