• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
1zp0c3q.jpg

mmm yeah what's that I can't hear your over the sound of how awesome I am

Twig

Banned
Capndrake said:
I take a quick look at the stats page every morning and see there's been 5+ hours of a full server while I was asleep.
If it's any consolation, when I check and it is full, I can't join because my reserved slot isn't working. And even if I see that it's 20 or 21 out of 24 people, by the time my game starts up and connects, it's too full, and I get kicked again.

So I guess it'll just be me you and kak trying to get the server full earlier in the day. D:

WARCOCK

Banned
Wtf was up with [Neogaf]Teepo clipping and slaying people not stop, thats fucking wack shit icy. Can you demote him please, whats next? hes gonna come in and randomly ban people for no reason?

firex

I just played the mario kart map for the first time, and god is it boring. I didn't realize it was just a dumb DM map with a bunch of mario kart graphics going on. I guess it's funny enough to check out once but I wouldn't want to play it again.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
firex said:
I just played the mario kart map for the first time, and god is it boring. I didn't realize it was just a dumb DM map with a bunch of mario kart graphics going on. I guess it's funny enough to check out once but I wouldn't want to play it again.
NO U

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
so can anyone verify that my profile in this member list http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NEOGAF-BLU (me being cell) doesn't have any picture or any way to click it? for some reason i can't log in even though i know i have the login details right, so it seems like something weird is up with my account :\

Javaman

Hitokage said:
It was kinda funny seeing that team just turn on each other tonight.

Yeah. I joined them once the teams became unbalanced but they were pretty much acting like goobers. It's pretty bad that they would bitch about their teammates not working together, yet they weren't communicating themselves.

Capndrake

More good customs:

cp_steel (Isn't on FPSbanana - if you want it get test13 as it's a later version): CP map which is like Gravel Pit (Attack/Defense), but there's 5 CPs instead of 3. The final CP can be capped at ANY TIME after the gates open, and when it's capped BLU instantly wins. The thing is, however, that it's a large platform in the center of a big pit, so only Scouts, Demomen and Soldiers can reach it initially. If you cap all other 4 points (They have to be capped in order, A-B-C-D) then 3 bridges will extend from the sides of the pit so other classes can reach it. After capping A and B two doors blocking additional paths to the back of the stage will also open.

cp_studio: Straightforward CP set around movie studios. One is based around the Terminator, another on Lord of the Rings and the center CP on Back to the Future. All but the center CP is set inside, with studio hallways and catwalks and such, while the center (Back to the Future) is outside the city hall from the movie, with scaffolding and everything. Also large bushes for stealth attacks.

cp_vertigo: Another Gravelpit-esque map (This time with 3 CPs) set at the top of a skyscraper under construction. Lots of machinery, elevators and airducts, etc. all stretched out over 3 floors. BLU starts at the bottom of the three, RED starts in the middle but moves up to the top floor after A and B are captured. There's one CP on each floor, C is on the roof on top of a tower.

1-D_FTW

Capndrake said:
More good customs:

cp_steel (Isn't on FPSbanana - if you want it get test13 as it's a later version): CP map which is like Gravel Pit (Attack/Defense), but there's 5 CPs instead of 3. The final CP can be capped at ANY TIME after the gates open, and when it's capped BLU instantly wins. The thing is, however, that it's a large platform in the center of a big pit, so only Scouts, Demomen and Soldiers can reach it initially. If you cap all other 4 points (They have to be capped in order, A-B-C-D) then 3 bridges will extend from the sides of the pit so other classes can reach it. After capping A and B two doors blocking additional paths to the back of the stage will also open.

cp_studio: Straightforward CP set around movie studios. One is based around the Terminator, another on Lord of the Rings and the center CP on Back to the Future. All but the center CP is set inside, with studio hallways and catwalks and such, while the center (Back to the Future) is outside the city hall from the movie, with scaffolding and everything. Also large bushes for stealth attacks.

cp_vertigo: Another Gravelpit-esque map (This time with 3 CPs) set at the top of a skyscraper under construction. Lots of machinery, elevators and airducts, etc. all stretched out over 3 floors. BLU starts at the bottom of the three, RED starts in the middle but moves up to the top floor after A and B are captured. There's one CP on each floor, C is on the roof on top of a tower.

I had the Killer and Rabid servers on my favorite list, but didn't realize they ran a third until I read this post. Fairy server added! Thanks.

Davidion

Had a couple of games in Dustbowl this afternoon. What's with all the people leaving though? Poor Kak got tossed around between like a chew toy.

SexConker

Banned
Here's some fun pics I've taken.
(Scaled and crpped a bit, since my 1440x900 would stretch the boards like goatse for most people's 1280x1024 monitors).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1-D_FTW

I wouldn't count on it. There haven't been any recent announcements and long term Valve announcements of "Before the end of the month" are useless.

RPhilMan1

RPhilMan1 said:
So I am trying to get into the server but when I startup TF2, Steam pops up an error message saying "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

Uh?

Now the same thing is happening! It's funny because I can launch and play CSS just fine, but not TF2...

HL2.exe is not running. And there are no updates or anything going. I think it's a sign...

YakiSOBA

conf_tf2_l.jpg

double barreled healing gun?

haha imagine one of the medics upgrades is to heal 2 players at once :lol
that'dbe awesome for sending 2 attackers+1medic on runs behind enemy lines

Icy

Banned
there's going to be an update tonight. 1 of the highlight is server tags for advanced server filters based on game mods. No new maps though.

As awesome as TF2 is, I can't help but be a bit pissed off at how poor the execution of DoD:Source and to a lesser extent CS:S has been. They released them then abandoned them. DoD especially, it's a mere shell of the original version.

fallout said:
The presentation that came out of is pretty interesting from a design perspective:

http://www.primotechnology.com/2008/02/25/gdc-08-the-illustrative-world-of-team-fortress-2/
WOW.

Mitchell then moved onto the environment design present in the game. Creating a compelling, immersive world was paramount for the team, and it accomplished this by creating an “impressionistic, painterly look” inspired in many ways by the worlds of Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki in his films like Spirited Away.

Whereas other designers often use actual photo-maps to create their in-game textures, the art team painstakingly hand-painted every single texture in the game, whether they were applied to environment structures like roofs and walls or models like turrets and trains, being sure to leave noticeable brushstrokes.

Awesome article.

Capndrake

TF2 update is out now, adds Tournament Mode (!), nerfs Demoman and to a lesser extent Soldier, lets server owners turn off crits (Yay Icy) and other stuff.

I, err, can't C&P, I'm on the Wii's internet channel :(

EDIT: I may be reading this wrong, but did they make it impossible to spam "Need a teleporter/dispenser/sentry here" (Judging by the "Reduction in teleporters needed" bit)? That's both :lol and :(

Jenga

Banned
Wow, it also cut down on the ammo for soldiers and demomen

Maximum rocket reserve for soldier cut down from 36 to 16
Demomen nade launcher from 40 to 24
demomen sticky launcher from 30 to 16

Jenga said:

Hmm... They must be trying to cut down on spam.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What a shitty nerf to soldiers :( . Takes 4 fucking rockets to kill a heavy, we need that ammo!

This is the shittest update ever.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
16? Boo Valve. Boooooooooooooooo.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, this is a pretty good thing. Less rocket spam is good for all and I don't really spam grenades anyway...

Edit 2: The update seems to have broken my TF2. Crashes after the stage loads. Booooooooooooooooooo.

Icy

Banned
A required update for Team Fortress 2 and it's dedicated server have
been released. Please run hldsupdatetool to receive the updates. The
specific changes include the following:

Added "Custom" tab to the server browser
- Servers can now specify metatags describing the custom rules they've
adopted
- Players can use tag filtering to find servers running the custom
rules
they want to play
- Added options for servers who want to become custom games: Disable
critical hits (tf_weapon_criticals), eliminate respawn times
(mp_disable_respawn_times), and raise maxplayers above 24

Initial release of Tournament mode (mp_tournament)
- UI for handling team naming, ready mode, and win results
- Disables team player limits, autobalancing, and intermission

Class balancing
- Reduced Soldier's maximum rocket reserve ammo from 36 to 16
- Reduced Demoman's maximum sticky bomb reserve ammo from 30 to 16
- Reduced Demoman's maximum grenade launcher reserve ammo from 40 to 24

- Added protection against voice command spamming. Dramatic reduction
in
teleporters needed
- Fixed mp_timelimit ending the map during the middle of a round on
maps
like Dustbowl and GravelPit
- Fixed "lastdisguise" command not remembering if you were disguised as
your own team
- Added "Toggle Disguise Team" binding in Options->Keyboard to toggle
the disguise team for the Spy's PDA
- Changed PDA menus to accept keys bound to "slot1", "slot2", etc., and
"slot10" cancels
- Fixed Spectator targetID not using team colors
- Changed team autobalance code to not balance the teams when the
active
round timer shows less than 60 seconds
- Fixed "-maxplayers" on the command line not correctly setting the
maxplayers value for the server
- Fixed Badlands never having Sudden Death triggered
- Fixed Engineer being able to detonate buildings that are being sapped
- Changed Engineer buildings to detonate when a player disconnects
instead of blinking out
- Fixed potential client crash for players being healed by a Medic or
dispenser
- Made several improvements to server-side stat reporting (not related
to individual player stats)

Twig

Banned
\:

That makes guarding from the roof of certain points (such as B on Gravelpit) not really worth it with soldier and demo.

Oh well, it's not that big of a deal.

Bunny

Jenga said:

wow, that sucks for us demomen.

Jenga said:

What..? This sucks.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The sticky nade launcher has a cap of 24, the regular has a cap of 16 (just tested it).

This really isn't a big deal, sticky grenades are better anyway :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom