• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenga

Banned
Crushed said:
They should have said "dispensers no longer needed here as much."
I hate you Valve. My days of spamming "ZEE DISPENSAH GOES HEA" while bonesawing four of the enemy team are over D: D: D:

firex

lol explosives. I can't wait for the soldier and demo achievement packs where they'll get new weapons with reserves of the old ammo cap.

Won

Class balancing
- Reduced Soldier's maximum rocket reserve ammo from 36 to 16
- Reduced Demoman's maximum sticky bomb reserve ammo from 30 to 16
- Reduced Demoman's maximum grenade launcher reserve ammo from 40 to 24

Good!

- Fixed Engineer being able to detonate buildings that are being sapped

Very good!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Holy crap what is Valve doing to my game??? :( This is getting ridiculous.

24 maybe, but 16? Gimme freakin' break!

Firestorm

MrPing1000 said:
have they fixed engineers getting onto the roof of B in gravel pit?

Huh, why is that considered a glitch? Just because the developer might not have intended for it doesn't mean it's bad for the game.

- Added protection against voice command spamming. Dramatic reduction
in
teleporters needed
- Fixed mp_timelimit ending the map during the middle of a round on
maps
like Dustbowl and GravelPit

haha
Awesome.

:( at soldier thing. What the hell. And demomen got burnnneeeddd.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
Huh, why is that considered a glitch? Just because the developer might not have intended for it doesn't mean it's bad for the game.
Yes it does. Like wavedashing, another game-ruining glitchy glitch for cheaters.

Anyway, tonight was the first full-of-GAFfers good TF2 game on the server in a long time.

PS:
M E D I C S

I really don't get this update, what are they trying to fix?

The only candidate I can think of is pre-emptive rocket shooting. Playing soldier's gonna be a real pain in the ass from now on.

No good reason comes up for the demomen nerf.

This is also a mini engineer nerf, ammo crates are more likely to be depleted. Playing engineer on offense just got much harder.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Crushed said:
PS:
M E D I C S
That was absolutely crazy. The round before there were zilch. Then we switch the assault and I'm standing around spawn smack dab in the middle of a medical conference.

PillowKnight said:

The only candidate I can think of is pre-emptive rocket shooting. Playing soldier's gonna be a real pain in the ass from now on.

This is also a mini engineer nerf, ammo crates are more likely to be depleted. Playing engineer on offense just got much harder.

It really didn't affect me that much and kak was mowing people down as good as always.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:

Word is, some people were apparently complaining. Don't get it but...eh

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The changes haven't affected my play at all as a demo. I hit up the dispenser a bit earlier than usual, that's about it.

Davidion

fallengorn said:
That was absolutely crazy. The round before there were zilch. Then we switch the assault and I'm standing around spawn smack dab in the middle of a medical conference.

Yes, we felt like we had to sort some of you big manly boys out.

FYI, all the end caps were done by medics.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What Valve really needs to do is change the crit system. Grenade and rocket spam is only really annoying (imo) when crits are involved. Make them weaker, give the player a limited number of crits (but let them use them when they want) etc.

Or better yet, remove them completely. I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of being one shot by an engineer's shotgun.

SexConker

Banned
Lower ammo for soldiers and demomen?
HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe next the Engineer will have his 200 pistol ammo cut back, and the Scout will get some of it.

Teknoman

Watch out for Crushed. He's equiped with a SOLID EYE in real life or something. :lol in a crowd of several people right infront of em, and a few around me, his bullet bypassed everything and went right into my skull. Looking at the death cam shot proves it.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Teknoman said:
Watch out for Crushed. He's equiped with a SOLID EYE in real life or something. :lol in a crowd of several people right infront of em, and a few around me, his bullet bypassed everything and went right into my skull. Looking at the death cam shot proves it.
Heh, my sniping skills vary from day to day. Sometimes I can pick off running Scouts from halfway across the map, the next I can't hit the stomach of a stationary Heavy. :lol

TransTrender

Gold Member
Jenga said:
Wow, it also cut down on the ammo for soldiers and demomen

Maximum rocket reserve for soldier cut down from 36 to 16
Demomen nade launcher from 40 to 24
demomen sticky launcher from 30 to 16
It feels like Tiger Woods hit a 340 yard drive with my balls

Davidion

The ammo changes haven't impacted the demomen much based on what I saw last night (damn Kak), but I think soldiers have been hit a little harder. I could have sworn I saw a couple of soldiers I was healing having to fall back onto shotgun usage more and more.

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:

I haven't played since the update, so mindless speculation on my part. But the demoman should have had his nades cut the same percentage as the soldier. Either give the soldier some more rockets, or cut the demoman's nades.

That said, I hope it cuts down on demoman sitting behind corners and spamming their nades around corners for skill-less kills. That's why they should have given him an equal reduction to the soldier.

As for the soldier, I'm not sure it really matters. You pick up ammo when you kill somebody, so unless you suck, is it really a big deal? But if you only get half ammo and it takes 4 rockets to kill a heavy and you only get 8 rockets by picking up his dropped gun, that's bullshit. That's the only possible objection I might have. If picking up dropped weapons isn't enough to keep you stocked (Even if you're getting regular kills and not spamming.)

You're definitely right about the ammo crates and the engi.

And let me just say, the sniper nerfs that some were complaining about in the last update, didn't do a hell of a lot. The sniper is still always destroying the leaderboard.

Davidion

1-D_FTW said:
I haven't played since the update, so mindless speculation on my part. But the demoman should have had his nades cut the same percentage as the soldier. Either give the soldier some more rockets, or cut the demoman's nades.

That said, I hope it cuts down on demoman sitting behind corners and spamming their nades around corners for skill-less kills. That's why they should have given him an equal reduction to the soldier.

As for the soldier, I'm not sure it really matters. You pick up ammo when you kill somebody, so unless you suck, is it really a big deal? But if you only get half ammo and it takes 4 rockets to kill a heavy and you only get 8 rockets by picking up his dropped gun, that's bullshit. That's the only possible objection I might have. If picking up dropped weapons isn't enough to keep you stocked (Even if you're getting regular kills and not spamming.)

And let me just say, the sniper nerfs that some were complaining about in the last update, didn't do a hell of a lot. The sniper is still always destroying the leaderboard.

Good points.

I don't see the sniper domination though. Maybe it's just the servers that I play on, but it's always the Demos/Soldiers/Medics that are on top of the heap.

1-D_FTW said:

Well, not every encounter leads to kill. But that's beside the point. Many of the 'advanced' Soldier strategies are nullified with this new update. Think back to all the times you've shot a rocket into an entrance in order to stop the enemy from rushing you.

Personally, I always end up running out of rockets at least once per map. Although, I do ussually leave the weapon boxes to engineers, even so 16(?) is a drastic reduction.

Played a little with the update. The changes weren't much of a problem except when playing defense, especially on Gravelpit; camping on the roof at B or up at the top on point C isn't really as viable anymore. Certain points on dustbowl were also a pain, like the first point on the third stage where there's only one ammo box nearby in the building.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Think back to all the times you've shot a rocket into an entrance in order to stop the enemy from rushing you.

But that's the thing they were trying to fix. A soldier isn't supposed to be able to do that, nor is a demoman supposed to be able to with regular grenades.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
PillowKnight said:
Think back to all the times you've shot a rocket into an entrance in order to stop the enemy from rushing you.
I'm thinking of those times, but not from the Soldier's point of view. Not at all.

Funnily enough, I was mentioning to a friend over MSN the other day that Demomen camping on both teams on 2Fort = Potential stalemate.

It looks like this is an attempt to make defense much more difficult.

Twig

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
But that's the thing they were trying to fix. A soldier isn't supposed to be able to do that, nor is a demoman supposed to be able to with regular grenades.
Why? It's a viable strategy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Ysiadmihi said:
Blindly spam grenades/rockets around/at a corner in an effort to kill rushing enemies.

I don't really get what you're saying. People aren't supposed to be able to shoot unless they see the whites of their enemies' eyes?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Confidence Man said:
I don't really get what you're saying. People aren't supposed to be able to shoot unless they see the whites of their enemies' eyes?

No, you shouldn't be able to camp a spot and keep lobbing grenades around a corner or rockets into an entrance almost indefinitely hoping to pick up a spare kill or two. The cut in maximum ammo makes soldiers and demomen use that ammo much more wisely. I know last night I wasn't spamming grenades on the last point on Dustbowl as I usually do.

What else explains the severe cut in grenades/rocket ammo if not to cut down on spam?

Twig

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
No, you shouldn't be able to camp a spot and keep lobbing grenades around a corner or rockets into an entrance almost indefinitely hoping to pick up a spare kill or two.?
Again. Why? It's a viable strategy. I don't do it hoping for kills. I do it hoping to slow down the opposing team. What, pray tell, is wrong with that?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Again. Why? It's a viable strategy. I don't do it hoping for kills. I do it hoping to slow down the opposing team. What, pray tell, is wrong with that?

First, out of curiousity, are you speaking as a soldier or demoman?

Ysiadmihi said:
No, you shouldn't be able to camp a spot and keep lobbing grenades around a corner or rockets into an entrance almost indefinitely hoping to pick up a spare kill or two. The cut in maximum ammo makes soldiers and demomen use that ammo much more wisely. I know last night I wasn't spamming grenades on the last point on Dustbowl as I usually do.

What else explains the severe cut in grenades/rocket ammo if not to cut down on spam?

Just reducing ammo reserves doesn't prevent this from happening. I know my strategies haven't changed at all, aside from having to grab some ammo a little more often. Probably 90% of the time I'm dead before I run out anyway.

IMO this is all just laying the foundation for future loadout updates, like for soldiers and demos with higher ammo counts, or maybe engies who can run around replenishing ammo (like engies in tfc can repair armor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom