• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

Ysiadmihi said:
No, you shouldn't be able to camp a spot and keep lobbing grenades around a corner or rockets into an entrance almost indefinitely hoping to pick up a spare kill or two. The cut in maximum ammo makes soldiers and demomen use that ammo much more wisely. I know last night I wasn't spamming grenades on the last point on Dustbowl as I usually do.

What else explains the severe cut in grenades/rocket ammo if not to cut down on spam?

Largely due to people complaining for no good reason, is what I figure. Edit: Pillowknight has a good point about facilitating upgrades as well.

Quite honestly, the complains about "skill-less" kills is ludicrous. Luck is a big part of combat and in a game like this those "lucky" shots are bound to happen here and there. Hell, that's why crits are in there. Regardless, nobody can consistently keep up a good score or performance by trying to etch out a few lucky kills if they're an otherwise poor combatant.

Frankly, TF2's "spam" rate is absolutely minuscule. None of the official maps have any kind of a singular key choke point that can be dominated by a spammer. You can make some halfway reasonable argument for the need to limits sticky spamming at points, but even that's pushing it as we rarely see situations where a point can be controlled largely with sticky spam.

The only people who are going to get screwed by this, if anyone, are people who run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight.

firex

Yeah, I don't really get it as an anti-spam thing either. The only time I ever felt like an area was blanketed by grenade/rocket spam wasn't from one guy. It was from multiples of the same class camping a spot.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Well I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, but it just seems obvious to me that this was done because of spam.

It doesn't bug me in the least though, sticky grenades ftw :D

1-D_FTW

Jacobi said:
Well they took away the win button off the soldier. I approve.

I guess that fact I haven't been dominating scoreboards lately is the same reason I don't see this as being a huge factor (reserve the right to bitch once I play today.) I really can't think of where this is gonna be a huge problem. Maybe a couple specific cases like defending Gravel Pit C from the tower, but if soldiers aren't spamming me from the tunnel exit, I won't have to spam them back. So even that might not be a problem. My skills have eroded enough that I rarely run out of ammo. And since I'm suicidal and tend to constantly run forward, ammo is always in my path.

Also funny that soldier gets the "win-button" assigned to him by gaffers, but it's usually the 4th or 5th most popular class in most games. Games I play almost always have more pyros, engis, and demos in them. Usually more heavies. And sometime more medics. I guess this hate stems from crappy stat tracking. God I hate that abortion. HLStats suck. It's why the FPSbanana servers have become my favorite. They didn't have stat tracking. They appear to have restarted it a couple days ago, but atleast it's hidden and you don't see the stupid numbers after every kill/death.

Although some of you (I'm not talking to you Jacobi) are just whiners. Spies and pyros bitching soldiers are the win button is like me complaining heavies are the win button cause they'll almost always kill you in close combat before you can hit them with 4 rockets. Rock-paper-scissor. Don't engage in combat your class isn't designed for.

firex

There's an awesome tf2 comic that describes the frustration of going up against a soldier as a pyro (aka soldier cheating you out of hard-earned points by suiciding) but I can't find it. regardless, if there was any class I felt was becoming more and more noob friendly it was the demo, so anything to drive away the nade spammers from the class will make it better. One demo spamming grenades isn't bad, but 2-3 is annoying since they'll pretty much cover an entire area.

"But that's the thing they were trying to fix. A soldier isn't supposed to be able to do that, nor is a demoman supposed to be able to with regular grenades."

Prediction shots have been a part of FPSs with projectile weapons since...god knows when.

Ysiadmihi said:
No, you shouldn't be able to camp a spot and keep lobbing grenades around a corner or rockets into an entrance almost indefinitely hoping to pick up a spare kill or two. The cut in maximum ammo makes soldiers and demomen use that ammo much more wisely. I know last night I wasn't spamming grenades on the last point on Dustbowl as I usually do.

What else explains the severe cut in grenades/rocket ammo if not to cut down on spam?
That's not what I was talking about, 'random' has nothing to do with it.

What I meant was, you round a corner and see a group coming right at you, at this point you're in a very poor position, you then move back past the pathway and fire a rocket/nade at the pathway It's a calculated move used to buy yourself time, and to improve your position.

The majority of players will not buy this feint, but, it does keep them from walking right through and destroying you.

Aside from that, good point. That seems to be the intention of this update, this will reduce the spam on dustbowl 2 , which will be nice.

RPhilMan1

Oh and congrats Valve on totally messing up this game. What a HUGE difference today from October when it came right out of the box.

And I am curious why I am not playing as much as I did when it came out... it's a whole different game now, and frankly, it's just not the same old fun it was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PillowKnight said:
Aside from that, good point. That seems to be the intention of this update, this will reduce the spam on dustbowl 2 , which will be nice.
Not for me, since I periodically drop down for health when providing suppressive fire, but other positions aren't as convenient.

Twig

Banned
RPhilMan1 said:
Wow. So I donated to a dead server for a broken reserved slot? Now I can see why people took their money back.
No kidding. \:

Oh well, shit happens, I guess.
And I am curious why I am not playing as much as I did when it came out... it's a whole different game now, and frankly, it's just not the same old fun it was.
o:

I took a break for a while after Icy fucked with the settings (no crits, etc.) on the server (needed a break anyway, and that was my excuse), but when I eventually came back, I was having just as much, if not more fun. Have they really changed it THAT much? I've been playing since the "beta", and aside from random balance "fixes", it feels the same to me.

/shrug

To each their own. d:

Icy

Banned
RPhilMan1 said:
Wow. So I donated to a dead server for a broken reserved slot? Now I can see why people took their money back.

you donated how many months ago? The server isn't permament. At no point did I ever say the server was going on forever. Unless donations kept up the server wouldn't stay alive. The people who took their money back weren't neogaffers and this was before I even started giving donaters slots. Get your facts straight.

Capndrake

Now the server's back up, thanks Icy.

Btw, Goldrush screens:

goldrush.jpg

pic_so_ev_01.jpg

Kifimbo

RPhilMan1 said:
Oh and congrats Valve on totally messing up this game. What a HUGE difference today from October when it came right out of the box.

Could you explain what is SO different than before ?

SexConker

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Also funny that soldier gets the "win-button" assigned to him by gaffers, but it's usually the 4th or 5th most popular class in most games.

Slow = boring, fast = fun, basically.

Soldiers are the second slowest class.
Heavies tend to be less popular than soldiers from what I see, unless you have those medics who just latch onto a heavy for the entire game.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Come to think of it, I wonder if all of the people complaining about "rocket spam" understand what "suppressive fire" is.

SexConker: The short-attention span generation, I guess.

I never complained about rocket spam, I just said it was likely Valve's reasoning. Just like how everyone "complained" about the Sniper being able to quickly switch to the sub machine gun after firing.

SexConker

Banned
I've asked Icy numerous times before and never gotten a real answer.
Where are you renting your server from?
(Best I got was "My own special hosting sauce.")

Since the status of this server is in question, and since I can spare some $, I've considered running my own, especially if Icy wants to bow out / not have to deal with the shit anymore.

There are 2 problems with this:

1: I don't want to divide the GAF TF2 group if ICY's server is sticking around.

2: I don't know if I want to run an east coast server. I'm west coast, and my ISP has been sucking lately. (I was the "teleporting scout" during the failed tournament, it's not nearly that bad anymore, but it's not too good either...)

What's a decent game server hosting company?
What do you people think about server location (west coast, east coast, central, etc.)?

I know some of you are low ping bastards, but seriously - could you deal with a west coast or central coast server?

1-D_FTW

I played for 75 minutes and (Some pyro, mostly soldier) and didn't really care about the soldier only having 16 rockets. I wish the demoman had a little less ammo, too. It seems to me if you move around a lot, it's not a huge issue (Pillowknight's a maniac, but us mortals should be okay.) Yeah you wanna have suppressive fire as you're backpedaling, but you should get away with a couple shots if you're low. And if it eliminates camping on the roof of Gravel Pit B, I can live with that.

There's obviously gonna be a couple choke points (CP 1 on Stage 3 Dustbowl for example) that ammo could be a problem, but engineers are never in short supply and an ammo dispenser will get built at that corner. Overall, I think it's probably good. Only uber players and spammers are gonna have any consistent problems IMO. I haven't had a medic follow me in months, so I'm sure a soldier-medic duo will more ammo issues, but maybe this way a medic will be forced to follow me a bit:)

SexConker said:
I've asked Icy numerous times before and never gotten a real answer.
Where are you renting your server from?
(Best I got was "My own special hosting sauce.")

Since the status of this server is in question, and since I can spare some $, I've considered running my own, especially if Icy wants to bow out / not have to deal with the shit anymore.

There are 2 problems with this:

1: I don't want to divide the GAF TF2 group if ICY's server is sticking around.

2: I don't know if I want to run an east coast server. I'm west coast, and my ISP has been sucking lately. (I was the "teleporting scout" during the failed tournament, it's not nearly that bad anymore, but it's not too good either...)

What's a decent game server hosting company?
What do you people think about server location (west coast, east coast, central, etc.)?

I know some of you are low ping bastards, but seriously - could you deal with a west coast or central coast server?

I'm pretty sure it was:

http://www.leetservers.com

I know he was having problems and when I recommended that, he gave them a try and I don't remember him saying he ever switched.

What about a location like Dallas? Wouldn't most people get a livable speed with that?

EDIT: Having said that, the server pings on their website are all sucking. So maybe they're not that good anymore (Or maybe it's just a glitch.)

RPhilMan1

Icy said:
you donated how many months ago? The server isn't permament. At no point did I ever say the server was going on forever. Unless donations kept up the server wouldn't stay alive. The people who took their money back weren't neogaffers and this was before I even started giving donaters slots. Get your facts straight.

I donated January 8th. So almost two months ago. And as far as the people who took their money back, I meant the case a month or so ago.

But thanks for putting it back up. All we need to do is populate it every day. Yesterday was a good day for the server.

Enjoy.

And Kifimbo, it's a feeling.

whats with all this talk about servers? isnt it like the good ole days where you can take another less used PC, and run the server on that? if i remember correctly they didnt even need to be powerfull enough to even play the game.

SexConker

Banned
Nobiru said:
whats with all this talk about servers? isnt it like the good ole days where you can take another less used PC, and run the server on that? if i remember correctly they didnt even need to be powerfull enough to even play the game.

I have a spare PC I can use for this, but the issue is network speed.
I don't get great pings from my ISP even locally.
I've got gobs and gobs of bandwidth, sure, and a static IP (not guaranteed static, but in practice, it's never changed, because my router re leases the thing right when it expires.)

I'd also like to not have to leave my other PC on all the time, though monthly costs would be way cheaper.

1-D_FTW

Speaking of servers, Cheeto has posted the info to his a number of times. I've actually added it to my favorites, but I've never seen it populated. Get a decent ping from it, however.

Twig

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Speaking of servers, Cheeto has posted the info to his a number of times. I've actually added it to my favorites, but I've never seen it populated. Get a decent ping from it, however.

CTF? ):

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:

Ya, it's hard to get it populated. I can get about 4 or 5 friends in there, but thats about it.

And whats wrong with CTF? I'm probably going to add Dustbowl though.

Twig

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
The only CTF map I enjoy thus far is Casbah, a custom. There was one other custom that was all right (but not great), but I can't remember the name. I hate 2fort, and I hate Well (CTF).

Just my opinion, though, so don't take it for more than that.

(Also I'm extremely sick of Dustbowl.)

O:

SexConker

Banned
Just bought rented me a server (instance) (in California - sorry guys. If it's a big issue I can have it moved later).

Going to go see Semi Pro right now, I assume it'll be ready for me to poke at when I get back (11 Pacific?).

Server name will be NeverGonnaGiveYouUpNeverGonnaLetYouDown.

pj

Banned
they just showed a gold rush fly by on gametrailers tv..

looks like a lot of reused assets, large in size, interweaving tracks

WhatRuOn said:
Ya, it's hard to get it populated. I can get about 4 or 5 friends in there, but thats about it.

What's the map lineup? I get a good ping on your server.

Icy

Banned
pj325is said:
they just showed a gold rush fly by on gametrailers tv..

looks like a lot of reused assets, large in size, interweaving tracks

lol. The assets in the game now are all there's ever going to be. They aren't going to add anything new or break the art style and theme they've gone with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom