• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I still can't run this game.

It crashes at the "Loading..." screen every time :(

Anyone else experiencin this?

Defcon

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. Had a ton of fun, even though I didn't really know what I was doing. Couple questions:

1.) Is that shotgun that weak? I wasn't doing very much damage. Almost like there was lots of lag, but my ping was 30.

2.) How exactly do you earn metal as an engineer? You get enough to build your little turret and then that's it. It usually is destroyed before you respawn and can upgrade it.

Shotgun is only decent at point blank range.

You can pick up metal scattered throughout the maps, by picking up weapons the enemy has dropped when killed, or via a dispencer.

140.85 said:
I still can't run this game.

It crashes at the "Loading..." screen every time :(

Anyone else experiencin this?

yup read up, its happening to me too, and quite a few people on the steam forums.

Jirotrom said:
can you transfer the achievements to your xbox live account. Also, I'm gonna need a new Graphics card for this. My 9800XT cant handle it at all, really sucks because CS source and HL2 work just fine.
That's strange, as my piece of shit Radeon 9000 Mobility Pro handles it the same as CS:S and HL2. Lowest possible settings and 20-40 fps, but it's good enough!

Falch

Had the game crash on me a few times in the beginning (during the loading screen) but that resolved itself.

I get the feeling my laptop is handling TF2 pretty good, but not as good as CSS.

I've been playing almost nonstop for a few hours just now. Absolutely loving it. It's got that TF feel, looks great and is full of hilarious moments. God do I love being a spy.

NINE YEARS. And it was worth it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I played for a couple of minutes before going to work this morning, which was probably a mistake because all I want to do now is go back home and play.

Spent most of my time as a Scout and I just flew through 2fort. I got to work on jumping into the enemy's battlements via the bridge roof. Most of my kills were from knocking out everyone with a bat. :D I'm really impressed on how he turned out.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/fallengorn/stats/TF2

I need to try out the engineer since that's who I usually end up playing.

Fuck Valve for the late release but at least they know how to deliver.

Edit: I like how they don't mention deaths on any of the stats. Less embarrassing for me.

FoggyFreek

It's very easy to get into but wears off fairly quickly. I can't see this game being fun 1 month from now. it's just that: Too easy. Learning curve is, well, nowhere to be found.

It's freaking beautiful though, really. awesome looking game.

Quake Wars is not as graphically impressive but has so much more depth. It's like a RPG compared to TF2.

Still, both are very fun to play though I prefer Quake Wars.

Nice job Valve!

Jirotrom

CajoleJuice said:
That's strange, as my piece of shit Radeon 9000 Mobility Pro handles it the same as CS:S and HL2. Lowest possible settings and 20-40 fps, but it's good enough!
my drivers might be f'd.

Defcon

Banned
It should run fine on a 9800. I get 40 fps at 1024x768 with everything on high/medium on a 5900XT.

The game looks so friggin good on high end hardware. I might upgrade.

tf2-1.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes yes yes! Perfect timing:

Amazon said:
Items shipped on September 13, 2007:
Delivery estimate: September 17, 2007
1 package via UPS 1 of: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Prepare for maximum pwnage. :D

I'm getting another 7950 next week, so hopefully I'll be able to run this at high settings but my guess is it will be better optimized once new drivers and the final game come out.

Great game of course.

But: there's way too much HUD. Especially after you're killed and you're waiting to re-spawn... 60% of your screen is taken up by HUD. During the regular play, I find there's too much HUD too.

Also, sometimes I wonder if this game is too cartooney for its own good - it can be a little distracting at times. That said, I plan on having lots of fun w/ this game, even compared to something like, say, Bioshock.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
perryfarrell said:
Also, sometimes I wonder if this game is too cartooney for its own good - it can be a little distracting at times.
I quite enjoy the new vibe. I think it meshes well. Like how every starts yelling, "Fire! Fire!" when they're on fire. Or how a disguised spy looks to people on the same team.

FoggyFreek said:
It's very easy to get into but wears off fairly quickly. I can't see this game being fun 1 month from now. it's just that: Too easy. Learning curve is, well, nowhere to be found.

Counterstrike is even simpler and people have been playing that for 8 years.

McBacon said:
That above screenshot confirms I'll be playing this on 360 when its released, sorry PC clique!
Maybe at first, but you'll come back. The 360 community will die out while the PC one will be around until the next TF, whenever that is.

AstroLad said:
Yes yes yes! Perfect timing:

Prepare for maximum pwnage. :D

I'm getting another 7950 next week, so hopefully I'll be able to run this at high settings but my guess is it will be better optimized once new drivers and the final game come out.

Is it as annoying to get a 360 controller working this time around as it was with half life 2? Because I tried the drivers and everything last year and they never would map correctly for me. Does this have built in controller support or still have to mess with patches?

Jirotrom

McBacon said:
That above screenshot confirms I'll be playing this on 360 when its released, sorry PC clique!
is that the 360 screen?, If so I'll just wait for that one. Graphics cards are too expensive right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is it as annoying to get a 360 controller working this time around as it was with half life 2? Because I tried the drivers and everything last year and they never would map correctly for me. Does this have built in controller support or still have to mess with patches?

That's a good question, I'll have to look into it. My guess is that it will be easier given the 360 release but that's just a guess. I'll be playing tonight.

AstroLad said:
That's a good question, I'll have to look into it. My guess is that it will be easier given the 360 release but that's just a guess. I'll be playing tonight.

I'm hoping so to that's the thing I like about the games for windows thing is they have built in 360 controller support which is really nice but I don't know about this version, it would be nice if it had built in support.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Jirotrom said:
is that the 360 screen?, If so I'll just wait for that one. Graphics cards are too expensive right now.

I don't think so, but I can't imagine it being much different.

Druz

If you use a controller in TF2, write your name down for me. I'm going to follow you around in servers and whoop your ass.

Jirotrom

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm hoping so to that's the thing I like about the games for windows thing is they have built in 360 controller support which is really nice but I don't know about this version, it would be nice if it had built in support.
do the achievements carry over to your Xbox live account?

Coen

Slightly ot, but maybe someone can help me with this. Whenever I try to update my SteamID profile, the Save Profile button just does not work at all. It's not lagging, it's just no functioning at all. I tried updating within Steam, via Firefox and finally trough IE, without any success. IE did give me an error report. It says it's expecting something on line 45 which can't be loaded. Anyone know what I can do about it?

Sounds freaking awesome. I'm an avid Wolfenstein ET player but I'm definitely going to get the Orange Box over Quake Wars. Besides I'll need a new graphics card for QW anyway.

I have a GeForce 6100 (don't laugh), 1.3GB RAM

PatzCU

CajoleJuice said:
Maybe at first, but you'll come back. The 360 community will die out while the PC one will be around until the next TF, whenever that is.

Ya my thoughts exactly, while this would have looked far better on my 360, there just won't be enough people playing it, no dedicated servers, and no control. A game like Halo 3 is perfect for 360, but not TF2.

Jirotrom said:
do the achievements carry over to your Xbox live account?

I'm almost 100% sure they won't. Only windows live games have that kind of functionality and since live for windows is more or less directly competing with steam I can't see that happening at all.

Slacker

Druz said:
If you use a controller in TF2, write your name down for me. I'm going to follow you around in servers and whoop your ass.
I think you'll be able to spot them slowly... slowly... turning around to look at you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Druz said:

Haha well that's pretty cocky but we'll see about that. My guess is you have never experienced a truly skilled controller player.

traveler

Not Wario
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

The PC version is the only version worth playing...

The console audience will die out...

Write your name down if you planning on playing this with a controller...

etc.

traveler said:
The PC version is the only version worth playing...

The console audience will die out...

Write your name down if you planning on playing this with a controller...

etc.
Hey, maybe if you're a "truly skilled controller player" you'll have some fun with the 360 version.

Thaedolus

I only played for about 20 minutes this morning, I've got way too much shit to do today to play more than that, but...FUN! I went in as a heavy with a medic on my ass and racked up about 12 kills in my first life :lol

Then I built a sentry near the entrance of 2Fort and got about 6 kills in 2 minutes.

I pwn

CoLaN

got this fix from another forum (credits from some guy called cartoon)

"Does your game suddenly freeze, and your sound start skipping? Here's a working fix for your problem.

1. Right-click on Team Fortress 2 in the Steam games menu.
2. Click on Properties.
3. Click on Set launch options.
4. Type the following into the launch options field:

Quote:
-fullscreen -width # -height # -refresh 60
Change the two pound signs to the resolution of your screen. For example, if you want to play using 1024x768 resolution, type
Quote:
-fullscreen -width 1024 -height 768 -refresh 60
You may also need to change the refresh number to something like 70, but for most people it works at 60.

5. Click OK.
6. Start Team Fortress 2, and don't worry about the glitch anymore! It's fixed!

Credit goes to -=Cartoon=- for this wonderful fix. "

PatzCU

CoLaN said:
got this fix from another forum (credits from some guy called cartoon)

"Does your game suddenly freeze, and your sound start skipping? Here's a working fix for your problem.

1. Right-click on Team Fortress 2 in the Steam games menu.
2. Click on Properties.
3. Click on Set launch options.
4. Type the following into the launch options field:

Quote:
-fullscreen -width # -height # -refresh 60
Change the two pound signs to the resolution of your screen. For example, if you want to play using 1024x768 resolution, type
Quote:
-fullscreen -width 1024 -height 768 -refresh 60
You may also need to change the refresh number to something like 70, but for most people it works at 60.

5. Click OK.
6. Start Team Fortress 2, and don't worry about the glitch anymore! It's fixed!

Credit goes to -=Cartoon=- for this wonderful fix. "

Anyone know if I could use this fix to force my 1680x1050 monitor to display at 1280x800?

I wonder if this will fix the "tab" crash too....

MutFox

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Not really, almost all games I play with a controller, I play with sensitivity at max.

And I use a Mouse at 2000dpi/1000hz and a with a sensitivity of 10.
There's no chance your controller sensitivity will come close to that.

I can do a full 360 in .1 seconds :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom