• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

TheOneGuy said:
Goddamn I want to be that good. I mean I do that sort of stuff sometimes, but it's usually just luck. And I have nowhere near as much precision or accuracy. And soldier is easily my best class. ):

I enjoy popping snipers up with my rocket and then shotgunning them while airborne and watching their limp body crash to the ground. But those precision rocket shots in the air are more lucky shots for me too.

Davidion

Geez, he's really good. Though is it just me or does the video look a little faster than actual gameplay?

Anyways. Stupid question here, is the aiming reticle supposed to be disabled in the game? One day I just noticed that mine wasn't there anymore. Aiming have been a bitch and a half as of late.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Davidion said:
Anyways. Stupid question here, is the aiming reticle supposed to be disabled in the game? One day I just noticed that mine wasn't there anymore. Aiming have been a bitch and a half as of late.

Er, it should be there unless you're using an unscoped sniper rifle as your main weapon. That's odd.

Won

Davidion said:

Had the same problem a month ago. Still don't know how it was disabled but crosshair 1 in the console should bring it back.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I don't have a crosshair either, I haven't had one since I started playing again. lol I'm mostly a demo so it doesn't really matter much.

ice cream

Banned
Haha wth, you've all been playing without a crosshair?! haha

And about the reptile guy, how are his precision rockets so good when people are in the air, like is there any real skill to that, or just luck?

Davidion

Iadien said:
I don't have a crosshair either, I haven't had one since I started playing again. lol I'm mostly a demo so it doesn't really matter much.

Yeah you should try playing as the soldier with it, it's a joy.

Yesterday I was trying to snipe a sentry with my rocket on Dustbowl point 3, where I'm just coming out of the tunnel trying to nail the gun which was in the shack across the yard, and it went something like this:

*shoots, way off*
*adjusts a little bit*
*shoots, still off*
*adjusts more*
*shoots, now off in another direction*
*reloads*
*shoots, almost there*
*adjHEADSHOT*

Yeah, a point of reference would be useful. Granted, I'd like to think that I haven't been completely sucking regardless, a reticle would really fucking help. :lol

"And about the reptile guy, how are his precision rockets so good when people are in the air, like is there any real skill to that, or just luck?"

Skill. Though, keep in mind that it's a frag video and they, for obvious reasons, don't show the misses.

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Skill. Though, keep in mind that it's a frag video and they, for obvious reasons, don't show the misses.
Granted, but there are a few clips of decent length where he gets a pretty good string of kills.

Iadien

TheOneGuy said:
Granted, but there are a few clips of decent length where he gets a pretty good string of kills.

Who hasn't gone on rampages like in those videos though? I'm not impressed at all with either of those videos. =p

so is tf2 worth getting the orangebox? i allready have hl2 but portal and the 2 other episodes + tf2 sounds realy good too ^^ i just saw it on amazon and noticed it includes the first ep so iam close to buying it right now ^^

Cheeto

maniac-kun said:
so is tf2 worth getting the orangebox? i allready have hl2 but portal and the 2 other episodes + tf2 sounds realy good too ^^ i just saw it on amazon and noticed it includes the first ep so iam close to buying it right now ^^
If you like fun and excitement, and wish to lead a life full of win and success, you should buy now.

Twig

Banned
Iadien said:
Who hasn't gone on rampages like in those videos though? I'm not impressed at all with either of those videos. =p
I have, but like I said earlier, not with anywhere near as much accuracy or precision.

SleazyC

YakiSOBA said:
ive downloaded ffdshow and some matroska package and vlc player but it still chunks up when i play the hq video :(

helps!
What are your computer specs? Playing an HD x264 video can really put a strain on some of the older hardware out there.

guidop said:
http://files.filefront.com/nesktestm...fileinfo.htmll
Some pretty nice play there. Watching a good soldier is some entertainment but I would also like to see some vids of some of the other classes. The short scout clip in the video you linked was pretty good.

The competitive scene is still pretty young, but seeing some of the demo's and logs are still nuts..

34g3iw9.png

YakiSOBA

SleazyC said:
What are your computer specs? Playing an HD x264 video can really put a strain on some of the older hardware out there.

I've got a Asus W3J laptop.. decently high-end IMO...

It's got 2gb of ram, Core Duo 2.00ghz, and a ATI X1600 256mb video card. No clue why it's doing that, I don't think it's my laptop.. I tried downloading it on my PC which has lower specs and it runs fine :(

Am I missing another codec?

SleazyC

YakiSOBA said:
I've got a Asus W3J laptop.. decently high-end IMO...

It's got 2gb of ram, Core Duo 2.00ghz, and a ATI X1600 256mb video card. No clue why it's doing that, I don't think it's my laptop.. I tried downloading it on my PC which has lower specs and it runs fine :(

Am I missing another codec?
Uninstall all those codecs and just install the Combined Community Codec Pack.

SleazyC said:

Some pretty nice play there. Watching a good soldier is some entertainment but I would also like to see some vids of some of the other classes. The short scout clip in the video you linked was pretty good.

The competitive scene is still pretty young, but seeing some of the demo's and logs are still nuts..

34g3iw9.png
Stacked teams will do that, it's pretty clear that ex's team completely outmatches RA. Look at the medic's number of deaths.

6:1 K : D is about what you'd expect from someone with a personal medic. Guess the guy's not that insane after all.

It's also very curious that the other team's demoman was getting his ass kicked.

Iadien

PillowKnight said:
Stacked teams will do that, it's pretty clear that ex's team completely outmatches RA. Look at the medic's number of deaths.

6:1 K : D is about what you'd expect from someone with a personal medic. Guess the guy's not that insane after all.

It's also very curious that the other team's demoman was getting his ass kicked.

He's good, but not amazing. I'm sure a lot of people could put up his numbers with a medic up their ass the entire game.

I've played with him before, he is very good. Of course I only saw him play sniper, but he still managed to jump up to the top of the scoreboard after joining a round or two late in Dustbowl.

New update

Removed sv_alltalk from the list of convars that affect custom server tags

Fixed Demoman grenades not hurting the shooter if fired at point blank range against a target

Fixed critical modifier for explosive weapons (rockets, pipe bombs) increasing critical chance more than intended

Fixed Sudden Death "seconds have passed" string not including the amount of seconds that have passed

Fixed Internet and Custom tabs in the Server Browser not correctly displaying the server information for servers when going back and forth between the two tabs

fallout

maniac-kun said:
Never, EVER take into account the fact that HL2 and E1 are included in TOB when making your purchasing decision. I guarantee that most of the people that bought it already had HL2 and E1 and have gotten their money's worth and more.

Won

Ysiadmihi said:
That's odd, I don't think I've ever experienced this.

Experienced it at least twice yesterday. (on both ends, as victim and as demo) Didn't know that this was a bug and was like "OMGNERFDEMOMOREPLZ". Good that it was fixed fast. Shows how much Valve cares about the Demoman. :lol

Teknopathetic said:
They might as well just give demoman a slingshot and some firecrackers. Probably more effective.
You don't think Demomen are totally awesome? There's nothing like getting ubered up, running through a pack of the enemy laying down stickies and hitting the boom button.

Demo's my favorite class to play right now.

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:
They might as well just give demoman a slingshot and some firecrackers. Probably more effective.

Yeah. A good demoman will be shooting crits at you every other shot. I played this one demoman who I thought for sure was cheating because of his crit ratio. Then I played Kak the other day and he was crit shooting every other shot too.

It's my theory Valve assigns crit percentages to your hit percentages. The higher your hit percentage the more it'll assign crits. Well, because most people suck at the demoman (or blindly spam), it's ratio is lower than other classes. IE you start getting lots of crits at a lower hit percentage than most classes. And those who have goldly command of the class (like KAK) quickly go into top stratosphere of crit percentage.

Anyways, just start complaining you suck at demoman. Cause it's probably the most overpowered class in the game with an elite player.

EDIT: And my previous theory of Valve lying about it being momentum based has ended. I used to be able to predict when crits would occur as a soldier, but ever since my mediced days ended, crits are a rarity.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
dionysus said:
I played this game for the first time yesterday, in the GAF server with this guy. Man, he made me want to never play again.
I remember playing Convoy recently on SexConker's server, and he was one of the few people on... man, he just doesn't give you a break. :(

Iadien

The crit rate was obviously broken. I have shot out 6 crit stickies in a row several times.

Twig

Banned
dionysus said:
I played this game for the first time yesterday, in the GAF server with this guy. Man, he made me want to never play again.
Heh. You just gotta get used to it. I long ago accepted the fact that I will never be as good as kak.

Especially when he's a demoman. ):

dionysus

Yaldog
TheOneGuy said:
Heh. You just gotta get used to it. I long ago accepted the fact that I will never be as good as kak.

Especially when he's a demoman. ):

I just need to find a noob friendly server to train on.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
Confi, Crooked, Iadien, and kak are all amazing demomen. I'd be hard pressed to pick between any of them.

Yes, absolutely right. They all do a wonderful job of embarrassing me horribly, easy task as that is.

We should do another "best in class" listing (I think we did one already?) again. There are some great players around here and we can stand to recognize their skills (and to avoid them where necessary :lol ).

Capndrake

Davidion said:
We should do another "best in class" listing (I think we did one already?) again. There are some great players around here and we can stand to recognize their skills (and to avoid them where necessary :lol ).
IMO:

Scout: kak
Soldier: Hitokage
Pyro: Not much people here who play Pyro a lot, I'd say Crushed is best
Demo: kak
Heavy: ?
Engineer: Javaman
Medic: Richardfun
Sniper: cell
Spy: Won

1-D_FTW

Crushed said:
IF[player{Crushed} IS distance{<20}, class{pyro} AND IF[player{player} IS class{soldier,demo}]] THEN critprob = 100
ELSE critprob=90
End

If you're 20 feet in front of these classes as a pyro, it doesn't matter whether they're shooting crits. You're dead anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom