• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
dionysus said:
I just need to find a noob friendly server to train on.
Hah, I find that I'm much, much better at this game than I usually am simply because I play on the GAF server, where a lot of the regulars are actually pretty good.

I used to play DoD a lot, too, but mostly on a server without a whole lot of really skilled people. I was terrible.

Of course, I also enjoy TF2 so much more, so maybe that's it!

firex

Now they just need to find some way to code it in so you get kill credit when a soldier/demo suicides while on fire.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
firex said:
Now they just need to find some way to code it in so you get kill credit when a soldier/demo suicides while on fire.
How about a way to make the "ambush class" is actually the best at ambushing, instead of being 1-hit killed 50% of the time by the ambushees.

1-D_FTW

Pyros are terrific at ambushing most classes. Just avoid going face-to-face with soldiers if at all possible (Like you're gonna die anyways.) I think far and away Pyro's biggest problem is most servers have HLStatx formulas that suck for the pyro. But that's not Valve's problem. And if those stats annoy you like they do me, hide them.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
1-D_FTW said:
Pyros are terrific at ambushing most classes. Just avoid going face-to-face with soldiers if at all possible (Like you're gonna die anyways.) I think far and away Pyro's biggest problem is most servers have HLStatx formulas that suck for the pyro. But that's not Valve's problem. And if those stats annoy you like they do me, hide them.
If the Soldier, Demo, or Heavy turns around in less than three seconds (i.e., they're not totally retarded) then you're almost guaranteed to be a dead Pyro.

Davidion

Some guy named eth3n kept getting on my case today. I think the dude was taunting me at one point. :lol

It could also be sheer paranoia. :lol

firex

I don't think they deal enough damage either. Ambushed a scout a day or so ago and burned him for a good 3 seconds and then another couple after he got a medkit (there should really be a cvar to disable these) and I still died and he was only at like half health. I think when they added in the burning noise they also cut the flamethrower's damage or something.

All I know is I do better ambushing with scout or heavy than I do with the pyro. And most of the official maps could use better sneaking areas. Dustbowl, 2Fort and Gravelpit are like the only maps I've played on where a pyro is a serious force. Everything else has too many big areas and only like one sneaking lane, so anyone who tries to take it usually runs into someone else trying to be sneaky.

edit: I should add that with a medic I am deadly as pyro since the main weakness (low health/dies too easily) goes away and the pyro's speed and flamethrower can kill off a small crowd in that case. And I'd probably be way better overall at this game if I was more patient.

Won

Crushed said:
If the Soldier, Demo, or Heavy turns around in less than three seconds (i.e., they're not totally retarded) then you're almost guaranteed to be a dead Pyro.

But you are supposed to set them on fire and run away!

Davidion

Won said:
But you are supposed to set them on fire and run away!

The thing is, when one is set on fire with a massive flamethrower, the reaction should be panic, unbearable pain, and the uncontrollable need to put out the fire. There is no "let me stand there, finish off who I was fighting first, then go and see if i can get some help" mentality going on with that.

With the TF2 Pyro, whoever gets set on fire often just finishes combat and can even run around and look for help. Sure, we're not looking at a realistic simulation here, but a flamethrower relies on that disorientation effect.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pyro given a flamethrower with a much larger range and more disorienting effect. As a trade-off, he'd have to move much slower when firing, somewhat like the heavy. That would make him a lot more effective at crowd control, which if you think about it should be what he's designed for.

1-D_FTW

Crushed said:

Unless a point is under attack, a soldier or demo should only be attacked from a foot away and from behind. A heavy is pretty easy to circle strafe with your speed advantage. I'd rather attack a heavy with a pyro instead of with a soldier every day of the week.

So those are the two difficult classes. Is there any other class that has the advantage against all 9? I haven't found it. A soldier is expected to constantly charge the front lines. You couple that with his slow speed, and snipers constantly rape him. Heavies take 4 shots against him. Every class has a couple classes they don't match up against. Hence, TEAM Fortress. You can't do it all.

Someone emailed valve about how Pyro is lame, and it seems they at least recognize the class needs a boost. And the Overhealer isn't coming out anymore.

Sorry for the super late reply on this one. I’m getting a ways behind in my email right now.

Thanks a bunch for the long & detailed feedback. It’s always great to get feedback with this amount of time & thought put into it. We’re still thinking about the relationship between the Pyro & the core combat classes, in particular that of the Pyro & the Soldier. We’ve tried a couple of things in our internal playtests, but haven’t found anything we like enough to ship yet. The recent update to the flamethrower with the audio cue played when you’re hitting an enemy seems to have been a good step.

No details on the Pyro’s unlockable weapons yet, sorry. We’re still focusing on the Medic, and the underlying system. Your fire axe will be happy to hear that the Overhealer didn’t work out as well as we wanted it to, and won’t be making an appearance.

Robin.

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:

I think the thing that pyro's really excel on is clearing out CP points that are chock full of enemies. I can't count the number of times I've seen the defense almost give up on Gravel pit due to 4 or more enemies capturing a point before a defensive pyro clears the whole thing out almost single-handedly.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Teknopathetic said:
Also, Crushed, your code doesn't mention Spies face stabbing you.
That's only 100% guaranteed when you're an Engineer with your back to the wall and two built objects on either side of you, and you're shooting the Spy in the face and he's five feet away from you.

And the Spy will still claim, "no dude i was behind you the whole time lol taht wasn't a front stabe"

1-D_FTW

It be cool if they gave the pyro a can of gasoline that you could pour on the ground. Team sees a CP soaked with gasoline when they're capping it, there would be a panic to kill the pyro before his flamethrower could get in reach.

It would never be possible, though. Not only would you have demomen laying a ton of stickies outside of gates, but pyros soaking it with gasoline would really make gate starts a sausage-fest.

tc_hydro0001.jpg

Automatic screenshot from the end of the match today. There's nothing special about those stats, and they're nothing HLStatX is gonna get excited about, but we won and I had the most points while playing the entire match as pyro. I just feel pyro gets underrated because people get caught up in the k/d ratio and the pyro brings a lot of cool intangibles that the stats miss.

Confidence Man said:
Someone emailed valve about how Pyro is lame, and it seems they at least recognize the class needs a boost. And the Overhealer isn't coming out anymore.
YES I lose one and win one. So glad this isn't coming out.

Java your son's adorable.

Javaman

Firestorm said:
Watch when your kid grows up and starts going to forums, he'll be actually using the name JavaJr!
:)

PillowKnight said:
YES I lose one and win one. So glad this isn't coming out.

Java your son's adorable.
Thanks! I've got to watch out though... As soon as he graduates from nickjr games and moves on to the real deal I'll hardly be able to keep up. I'll have to stick to outwitting him and camping in order to stay alive.

Javaman said:
:)

Thanks! I've got to watch out though... As soon as he graduates from nickjr games and moves on to the real deal I'll hardly be able to keep up. I'll have to stick to outwitting him and camping in order to stay alive.

Aw so cute. When's he going to graduate? I say let him start playing TF2 now! Except then you'd have to share the computer.

2qteq1h.png

I don't know who like, any of the people in the game are some of the time. It's really annoying to get into the server sometimes because it complains about reserved slots but you can't queue it up because it loads the level before booting you back to the main menu to tell you reserved slots are filling up the game.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
"Dad, stop camping me!"
"Cry more, kid."

Sounds about right.

Adorable boy J. You're not so bad yourself either. :lol

No Means Nomad said:
I don't know who like, any of the people in the game are some of the time. It's really annoying to get into the server sometimes because it complains about reserved slots but you can't queue it up because it loads the level before booting you back to the main menu to tell you reserved slots are filling up the game.

That's an issue with SexConker's server. Ask him for a reserved slot.

"That's an issue with SexConker's server. Ask him for a reserved slot."

Is Icy's server still around or did sexconker make one to fill the gap of losing Icy's?

No Means Nomad said:
2qteq1h.png

I'm Lukeman, if that helps.

Davidion

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is Icy's server still around or did sexconker make one to fill the gap of losing Icy's?

Icy's is gone and it looks like SexConker just happened to create his around the same time.

PotatoeMasher said:
I'm Lukeman, if that helps.
Yeah, I've seen you around the server before, and I can kind of recognize regulars.

I was really conflicted later on in some of the matches if I should heal people who are on my ignore list on GAF. SO MANY EMOTIONS.

I've been messing around on some custom maps lately. Has anyone ever tried a map called Turbine V3? It's probably my favorite CTF map. Lots of passageways, multiple levels, sentry gun placements that are difficult but not impossible to overthrow.

So awesome.

1-D_FTW said:
It be cool if they gave the pyro a can of gasoline that you could pour on the ground. Team sees a CP soaked with gasoline when they're capping it, there would be a panic to kill the pyro before his flamethrower could get in reach.

It would never be possible, though. Not only would you have demomen laying a ton of stickies outside of gates, but pyros soaking it with gasoline would really make gate starts a sausage-fest.

Automatic screenshot from the end of the match today. There's nothing special about those stats, and they're nothing HLStatX is gonna get excited about, but we won and I had the most points while playing the entire match as pyro. I just feel pyro gets underrated because people get caught up in the k/d ratio and the pyro brings a lot of cool intangibles that the stats miss.
I missed this post the first time, I agree. It's too bad Valve never got around to giving pyros .25 points/person burnt.

Also, welcome back Gig.

Javaman

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Mr.City said:

LOL. That's just awesome! Someone posted a bunch of cosplay TF2 players waaaay back in the thread.

What happened to puyo? He hasn't been on steam in almost a month.

I'm here, just haven't played TF2 or any games in awhile :/

I need to send Sex_Conker my steam ID so I can participate in the upcoming tourney.

JoeFu

Banned
omgimaninja said:
I'm here, just haven't played TF2 or any games in awhile :/

I need to send Sex_Conker my steam ID so I can participate in the upcoming tourney.

PUYOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyways, I don't think I'll be playing TF2 very often. I think SSBB is going to take all my time away.

1-D_FTW

Valve better start making the medic fun to play cause it's a real buzz kill when you have no medics and the other team has a couple. There's no way your team is gonna win (Unless other team really sucks.) And, no, I'm not switching to him. I know this has always been part of the "balance," but it seems it's gotten a lot worse lately.

I wish the auto-balance was zeroed in on the medics only. Keep everybody within one medic of each other.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
JoeFu said:
Anyways, I don't think I'll be playing TF2 very often. I think SSBB is going to take all my time away.
Bah! I still have to pick up a copy. (Blasphemous!)

But even if I did, I think I'd still kick it with TF2... I don't know why but the craving to play has been high in the past week or two.

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:
Valve better start making the medic fun to play cause it's a real buzz kill when you have no medics and the other team has a couple. There's no way your team is gonna win (Unless other team really sucks.) And, no, I'm not switching to him. I know this has always been part of the "balance," but it seems it's gotten a lot worse lately.

I wish the auto-balance was zeroed in on the medics only. Keep everybody within one medic of each other.

Autobalance overall could use a lot of tweaking. I can't count the number of times I've been in completely unbalanced games where one team totally dominates the other. New players seem to always join the dominant team while the better players on the worse team drop out due to frusturation.

I wouldn't want a handicap strong enough to turn the game over to the weak team, but just a little boost or something to keep things interesting. It's not really fun for me on either side of a massive skill split.

Zyzyxxz

you can't auto balance the medics because people can switch classes whenever they want.

It would be too chaotic having to constantly switch teams.

Also sometimes defense doesnt require as many medics as offense but good placement of sticky bombs and turrents can send ubers flying into the sky and falling to their death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom