• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sweet, now I can backstab uber'd heavies and medics :lol

(For real, it sounds awesome. And Gold Rush sounds awesome too. It's alllll awesome)

Zyzyxxz

hmm 10 secs of critical shots?

That could be interesting, imagine 4 crit rockets spread out, that would be pure carnage also you can just have two medics and one do uber while the other does crits or maybe they will make it so you cant be both.

It sounds good, but I don't see it being that helpful. Ubers are helpful because of their ability to push forward, allowing an invincible teammate to push past the line of battle and take out sentries, Demomen, etc. Without that vantage point the crits seem nice, but ultimately unnecessary. Heavy is obviously the best choice for the uber, 100% crits for 10 seconds would make him a wrecking ball. Ideally you couple that with an invincible uber that takes the fire for your crit uber to mop the floor while hell is breaking loose.

Davidion

Firestorm said:
For the most part, wouldn't an uber invuln be better?

10 full seconds of crits is a hell of a lot of suppression firepower. Pair it with a good heavy and it takes out entire mobs. Pair it with a good demo and it clears a choke point. Hell, imagine pairing it up with a good sniper...semi-auto long distance OTK's.

Aegus

Firestorm said:
For the most part, wouldn't an uber invuln be better?

Depends. An ubered heavy becomes some sort of evil minigun x sniper demon at obscene distances.

And a crit-demo could basically spam into the 2nd cap point at Dustbowl S2 and wipe out shit loads of players.

Zyzyxxz

No Means Nomad said:
It sounds good, but I don't see it being that helpful. Ubers are helpful because of their ability to push forward, allowing an invincible teammate to push past the line of battle and take out sentries, Demomen, etc. Without that vantage point the crits seem nice, but ultimately unnecessary. Heavy is obviously the best choice for the uber, 100% crits for 10 seconds would make him a wrecking ball. Ideally you couple that with an invincible uber that takes the fire for your crit uber to mop the floor while hell is breaking loose.

I've seen ubers being pushed back by 2 sentries sometimes when they had the engineers hiding behind and reparing them constantly.

I think having 100% crit rate for 10 seconds is more useful for clearing out form a distance because even if the uber can rush in the rest of the one is usually too wussed out follow.

Zyzyxxz said:
I've seen ubers being pushed back by 2 sentries sometimes when they had the engineers hiding behind and reparing them constantly.

I think having 100% crit rate for 10 seconds is more useful for clearing out form a distance because even if the uber can rush in the rest of the one is usually too wussed out follow.
Medics should be picking classes that won't be affected by a push back like demos or heavies. Those two sentries will just roast someone if they try to move in crits or no crits. At best you might take out one of them I guess, but the vulnerability is huge.

I don't take crap from anyone with a medic because I feel like it's still easy to kill both of them a lot of the time.

firex

A 100% crit demo could be crazy overpowered. Mine a few spots with stickies, which will stay crit even after the uber wears off, and then just spam regular nades.

Honestly, if they did this medigun it'd be cool because it works with classes that a medic usually doesn't want to uber, like demo and scout. But I kind of hope one of the alternate weapons they have is a new needlegun. I hate the regular one, mostly because it works like a bow for some unknown reason.

firex

who really wants to uber a demo compared to a heavy/soldier/pyro? All 3 of those are way better with uber than a demo.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
who really wants to uber a demo compared to a heavy/soldier/pyro? All 3 of those are way better with uber than a demo.
Maybe for crowd control. But not for sentries.

Also uber'd demos are good for clearing out people blocking a capture, since he doesn't have to worry about blowing himself up, he just drops a bunch of stickies on the point and everyone dies except him.

It shocks me that anyone thinks an uber demo isn't a good thing.

TheOneGuy said:
Maybe for crowd control. But not for sentries.

Also uber'd demos are good for clearing out people blocking a capture, since he doesn't have to worry about blowing himself up, he just drops a bunch of stickies on the point and everyone dies except him.

It shocks me that anyone thinks an uber demo isn't a good thing.
Cause it's not, demo ubers are extremely situational. Soldier/Heavy/Pyro(or all of them) is a better choice 4 out of every 5 situations.

You're right in that ubering a demo should be considered.

The medigun is...it's ok, can't see myself using it though.

firex

An ubered heavy/pyro is just as good at taking out a sentry in like 90% of the cases where you use uber to break through the enemy's defenses. The heavy especially since he won't get knocked back as much. Of course, I've ubered demos before... hell, I ubered an engineer when we had no one else around to take out some guys near the point. But I'd put a demo as like in the middle of the uber priority list, above engineer/sniper/spy/scout but right there with medic.

No. Ubered demo is the absolute best class to uber all the time every time. Pyros get pushed around by sentries, soliders run out of ammo before they can get going, and heavies can't clear as much ground as a demo.

The problem is a lot of ubered demomen don't do it right. Plant stickies at the sentries and all over the ground where the enemy team is, running right through them, and hit the boom button. Absolutely wrecks defenses. Even if they get pushed back they still have the ability to lob grenades where they need to go that are still highly concentrated. A pushed back Heavy will have really weak bullets that ultimately do nothing but distract the sentry.

No Means Nomad said:
No. Ubered demo is the absolute best class to uber all the time every time. Pyros get pushed around by sentries, soliders run out of ammo before they can get going, and heavies can't clear as much ground as a demo.

The problem is a lot of ubered demomen don't do it right. Plant stickies at the sentries and all over the ground where the enemy team is, running right through them, and hit the boom button. Absolutely wrecks defenses.
They don't get pushed around if the medic knows how to play. If we're gonna assume the demo is a sentry/person killing machine, we can also assume the medic is competent. Same goes for the soldier/heavy/pyro being ubered.

Firestorm

firex said:
An ubered heavy/pyro is just as good at taking out a sentry in like 90% of the cases where you use uber to break through the enemy's defenses. The heavy especially since he won't get knocked back as much. Of course, I've ubered demos before... hell, I ubered an engineer when we had no one else around to take out some guys near the point. But I'd put a demo as like in the middle of the uber priority list, above engineer/sniper/spy/scout but right there with medic.

Ubered Heavy will not take down a LV3 sentry with an engineer behind it. I hate it when I uber a heavy and he wastes it trying to take out a sentry he can't destroy instead of clearing the area of enemies =/

Firestorm said:
Ubered Heavy will not take down a LV3 sentry with an engineer behind it. I hate it when I uber a heavy and he wastes it trying to take out a sentry he can't destroy instead of clearing the area of enemies =/
Well, a heavy shooting at short range can down a sentry before the engineer can do anything. Happens to me all the time as engie, although if the heavy is dumb enough to shoot the sentry from far away then that will definitely fail. The right answer is to shoot both the sentry and the engineer at once, or if possible just kill the engineer.

IMO the heavy is doing the correct thing in that situation, if you take down the sentry the rest of your team can push.

Capndrake

As long as sentries aren't bunched together, I find it best to uber a pyro since he destroys each in less than a second. If they ARE all bunched together, then Demo. Uber Heavy is best to take out a large group of enemies, he sucks at taking out sentries unless he gets close, which in most cases isn't easily possible. I don't see the use in ubering a Soldier unless there's nobody else or something.

Aegus

Capndrake said:
As long as sentries aren't bunched together, I find it best to uber a pyro since he destroys each in less than a second. If they ARE all bunched together, then Demo. Uber Heavy is best to take out a large group of enemies, he sucks at taking out sentries unless he gets close, which in most cases isn't easily possible. I don't see the use in ubering a Soldier unless there's nobody else or something.

Totally.

We won the first stage of dustbowl in less than 1 minute with a sole Pyro/medic combo. I cleared out the 1st cap with an uber, capped it, ran into the upper tunnel, had the luck to run into an sg just as it upgraded into lv2 so it didn't shoot me right away, took that out. Ran into the last point and cleared that and capped. :lol

Got like 20 points for 1 minutes work.

Aegus said:
Totally.

We won the first stage of dustbowl in less than 1 minute with a sole Pyro/medic combo. I cleared out the 1st cap with an uber, capped it, ran into the upper tunnel, had the luck to run into an sg just as it upgraded into lv2 so it didn't shoot me right away, took that out. Ran into the last point and cleared that and capped. :lol

Got like 20 points for 1 minutes work.
But that's because they weren't set up well, and the second cap point on that map isn't very well equipped at housing sentries.

The problem with Pyro ubers is their inability to quickly hit every sentry if they're spread out, which can leave remaining sentries to prevent caps.

Won

What? The speed and the no reload thing turns the pyro into an unstoppable firestorm of mass destruction. Let alone 2 pyros ubered by one medic.
Oh and if someone needs an uber as demoman to destroy something, he should stop playing demoman.

Aegus

No Means Nomad said:
But that's because they weren't set up well, and the second cap point on that map isn't very well equipped at housing sentries.

The problem with Pyro ubers is their inability to quickly hit every sentry if they're spread out, which can leave remaining sentries to prevent caps.

No the point is that a uber pyro is the most dangerous class of them all. It's mobile and can demolish entire teams in that spam of time.

rakka

Firestorm said:
if it's a sentry close by its easy to take it out with an uber... or if it's firing elsewhere, or if it's around a corner (however in these two cases i usually don't need an uber, just a medic)

javaman said:
rakka said:
holy shit, minigun crits for 10 seconds :O
Aren't they all already critical when ubered?
i'm 100% sure they aren't.

what i've noticed though is that regardless of whether i'm ubered or not, have a medic or not, if as a heavy (perhaps any other class too) i attempt to take on a large number of opponents (e.g 4-5), quite often i'll be given a fair amount of crits :D

and naturally when ubered, you'd want to take out as many as possible.

perhaps that's the reason you thought so?

Aegus said:
No the point is that a uber pyro is the most dangerous class of them all. It's mobile and can demolish entire teams in that spam of time.
Eh, disagree. It's the easiest class to juggle with a solider or demo to keep them away from anything important while you retreat to a safe distance.

Aegus

No Means Nomad said:
Eh, disagree. It's the easiest class to juggle with a solider or demo to keep them away from anything important while you retreat to a safe distance.

Not if you're a decent pyro.

Twig

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
I guess I've never played against a decent pyro then. I'm not exactly sure how they're going to get out of a juggle if I put them in one.
Pretty much.

I mean you have a LITTLE bit of air control, but pyros can't double-jump to get out of the way.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Aegus said:

As a demo I prefer an uber pyro trying to come at me over anything else. They'll be launched so far away from me before they even get a chance to touch me.

Javaman

Iadien said:
As a demo I prefer an uber pyro trying to come at me over anything else. They'll be launched so far away from me before they even get a chance to touch me.

It was quite a horrifying moment for me as a newbie demoman when I was trying to sticky bomb kill a pyro that was chasing me, but kept blasting him closer and closer. :lol :lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Javaman said:
It was quite a horrifying moment for me as a newbie demoman when I was trying to sticky bomb kill a pyro that was chasing me, but kept blasting him closer and closer. :lol :lol

I still do that occasionally. haha

:)
cp_well0035.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom