• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Those first 6-12 months after getting a new PC rule. Everything maxed, 1680*1050, goes between 70-110 :D

That 9600 was getting pretty damn old...

Firestorm

rakka said:
the resolution you play at (and are you in dxlevel 8 or 9?) might have something to do with it too firestorm.. (800x600 here all the time)

60fps always, virtualizing it in os x :D (limited using max_fps 60 though)

I do 1280x800 on dx9 I believe. graphics drivers are hard to deal with because it's a laptop. I use laptopvideo2go but not sure what the best would be for me right now.

I might need to clean my laptop with compressed air or something but not sure how I would go about doing that. I hear it helps performance if it's dusty, and before I got mine it used to be a display model.

I'm starting to think I'm cursed. I have 2GB of RAM, 1.6GHz AMD Turion 64 X2, and a GeForce Go 7600 with about 1GB. HL2 and Portal run great on medium-high settings, but in TF2 even on all-low settings I get about 5-10 FPS at any given point when there are more than two people on-screen. I disable my antivirus and close Firefox, Trillian, F@H, and any other background applications that might cause problems.

The test that Firestorm linked to above says I should be able to play the game just fine, and the only aspect that doesn't quite meet the recommended settings is my graphics card.

Anybody know what might be causing my trouble? I'm stumped. I've played the game like this (with an average of 5-10 FPS) that I'm almost used to it, but that doesn't make the lag any less gameplay-hindering.

LouieGeetoo said:
I'm starting to think I'm cursed. I have 2GB of RAM, 1.6GHz AMD Turion 64 X2, and a GeForce Go 7600 with about 1GB. HL2 and Portal run great on medium-high settings, but in TF2 even on all-low settings I get about 5-10 FPS at any given point when there are more than two people on-screen. I disable my antivirus and close Firefox, Trillian, F@H, and any other background applications that might cause problems.

The test that Firestorm linked to above says I should be able to play the game just fine, and the only aspect that doesn't quite meet the recommended settings is my graphics card.

Anybody know what might be causing my trouble? I'm stumped. I've played the game like this (with an average of 5-10 FPS) that I'm almost used to it, but that doesn't make the lag any less gameplay-hindering.

I played with a 7-series card and had exactly the same problem. I just bought a new PC in the end. Only thing I can recommened is simple stuff like drivers, turning down the effects, but even at 800x600 I couldn't get it running like I wanted. And that was with a 3ghz processor and 2gb of RAM.

rakka

LouieGeetoo said:

setting to dxlevel 8 might help, have you tried that? (if you haven't already)

Chris R

When are the new class changes coming? I saw the medic thread in general, reinstalled steam and TF2, getting back into things.

Are all classes getting these updated "achievement" features?

Icy

Banned
rhfb said:
When are the new class changes coming? I saw the medic thread in general, reinstalled steam and TF2, getting back into things.

Are all classes getting these updated "achievement" features?

over time they are. right now the next patch will be medic based

Aegus

LouieGeetoo said:

It's a known bug. I used to get a steady 60 fps a second at 1600x1200, with everything at max. Now I'm struggling to keep a steady 15fps with everything at low detail at a lower resolution.

Oreoleo

I just emailed Gabe Newell :lol Hopefully he'll tell me whether it's hitting today or later in the week. Anticipation is killer.

Davidion said:
How many hours did you sink in today? :lol

All I can say is I'm slightly drowsey from the awesome.

So addicting. It's amazing how much better it is on PC than 360 too. Some of the custom maps I've played have been really, really good.

Icy

Banned
I've removed the custom maps from the rotation as well as CTF_Well, CP_Well Stays.

There are no class limits right now, but once the Medic Friendly Patch is out, it'll be limited to prevent some stupid idiots from overbalancing to get some achievements.

Customs will still show up in RTVs however.

Is there an easy way to add people you're playing with to your friends list in Steam, other than opening the community and remembering their name?

Icy

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Is there an easy way to add people you're playing with to your friends list in Steam, other than opening the community and remembering their name?

during a game youre playing, pull up the community overlay. Pull up the recently played with tab and you can view specific specific people's steam pages to add while in game.

Icy said:
during a game youre playing, pull up the community overlay. Pull up the recently played with tab and you can view specific specific people's steam pages to add while in game.

Ahh, I didn't know that existed. Thanks.

rakka said:
setting to dxlevel 8 might help, have you tried that? (if you haven't already)
I don't think I'm able to do that, since I have Vista. The box is grayed out and can't be clicked, and just says "DirectX v9.0+". Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Aegus said:
It's a known bug. I used to get a steady 60 fps a second at 1600x1200, with everything at max. Now I'm struggling to keep a steady 15fps with everything at low detail at a lower resolution.
Have you tried reinstalling/redownloading? I'm thinking I might try this, if it's a bug that develops over time. My memory for these things isn't the greatest, but I do seem to remember being able to play the game at a decent frame rate (back before I started measuring it).

Aegus

LouieGeetoo said:
Have you tried reinstalling/redownloading? I'm thinking I might try this, if it's a bug that develops over time. My memory for these things isn't the greatest, but I do seem to remember being able to play the game at a decent frame rate (back before I started measuring it).

Actually I solved the problem yesterday. Turns out that the fan inside my PC stopped working so my hardware was overheating.:lol

There's still an FPS bug though according to the steam forums.

Davidion

TheGreatDave said:
We should have GAF games every couple of hours. No need to stick to "days" and "events".

Why don't you stop slapping the inside of your elbow there with your fingers, buddy. Back away slowly.

eznark

Banned
Big-E said:
Played yesterday for the first time in months. I have no idea why I stopped playing. The game is just so awesome.

Agreed. I put my first real time into the game this weekend. I still don't know what I'm doing most of the time, so I just run around healing people and running into sentry bullets, but hell if I'm not having a blast and (slowly) learning.

I can't wait til all the classes get jacked up and new maps/game types are added so I won't be so far behind the curve!

I'm still learning the PC game. I've always stuck to an engie since I got it on 360, but I'm moving towards the more attacking characters. I just always find that if I'm not an engineer I always see a spot I think would be perfect for a sentry and I can't resist switching when I spawn.

eznark

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I'm still learning the PC game. I've always stuck to an engie since I got it on 360, but I'm moving towards the more attacking characters. I just always find that if I'm not an engineer I always see a spot I think would be perfect for a sentry and I can't resist switching when I spawn.

I've never tried engineer, it seems daunting having to build and maintain stuff all over the map.

Fireblend

Banned
Firestorm said:
The difference between low and medium are not really noticeable.

Try http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
Oh God why did I not learn of this earlier?!

Anyway, now that I know I can run it well, I'm gonna get TF2 soon (shame I missed the 30% cut deal); I've got a doubt about steam community:

- How do I add people to the buddy list? If I add them, do they have to add me or does it notify them/add me to their list? Is there some sort of GAF steam-users list so I can start adding :p I'm also playing Trackmania Nations Forever so if anyone wants to add me my ID is the same one as here :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Fireblend said:

Anyway, now that I know I can run it well, I'm gonna get TF2 soon (shame I missed the 30% cut deal); I've got a doubt about steam community:

- How do I add people to the buddy list? If I add them, do they have to add me or does it notify them/add me to their list? Is there some sort of GAF steam-users list so I can start adding :p I'm also playing Trackmania Nations Forever so if anyone wants to add me my ID is the same one as here :p
You can add people using the friends tab on steam. When you add people it notifies the other person.

The GAF steam page is here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neogaf

But I would search of the OBMA or HLRY groups since they're comprised of GAF TF2 regs.

Or if you want to add people you've played with, there's an option on your friends list under "Players" that lets you view a list of people you've played with recently.

dionysus

Yaldog
Fireblend said:

Just join the neogaf group, its all you really need to find games with gaffers.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ice cream said:
I thought the patch was meant to come out yesterday? What happened?
A) It's the week of April 20th.
B) Valve time.
eznark said:
Either of the "GAF" servers jumping on Monday nights? I don't have class tonight and was hoping to play a bit.
Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom