• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
I joined, and I didn't like the map it was on. So I went back to a GravelPit/Dustbowl server.
I am suddenly remembering why I eventually get bored of all first-person shooters.

It always ends up that people will only play on a select few maps. And that's boring.

Davidion

Icy said:
valve default! whats wrong with well!

It's a mediocre map for almost every class and plays decently but not very well to none of their strengths.

That having been said, I'd love to see a remake of the original well. I think that's sorely missing.

Twig

Banned
Davidion said:
That having been said, I'd love to see a remake of the original well. I think that's sorely missing.
Didn't someone already do that? Or was it just a straight port of the original map?

Either way it sucked somethin' ferocious.

New well is fine, stop hating. D:<

Icy

Banned
Davidion said:
It's a mediocre map for almost every class and plays decently but not very well to none of their strengths.

We've done it. Fundamentally.. it sucks for TF2.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Apparently the build they were playing with the new stuff also had Engineer buffs:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/its_hard_out_there_for_a_pirate_medic?page=0,1

Super Engineer Bonus

We noticed in last night's game that Valve is also tinkering with upgrades for the Engineering class. While it's not concrete that these additions will go into the game's next Medic-friendly update, Valve is nevertheless looking at adding upgrade options for the Engineer's teleporter and dispenser. The former, when upgraded to Level 3, would reduce teleport recharge times from ten seconds to three. And a fully upgraded dispenser would heal all around it just slightly slower than a Medic--akin to Shadowrun's Tree of Life.

Davidion

They're turning the game into something a lot more combat intensive and a lot faster. All of these upgrades are tuned to get the combatants to the front of the line faster and enable them to be more aggressive.

Thank fuck for that.

dionysus

Yaldog
What is the map with the fucking trains? That one needs to die. If you don't capture the first point right off the bat god help you trying to not lose in under 2 minutes.

Davidion

dionysus said:
What is the map with the fucking trains? That one needs to die. If you don't capture the first point right off the bat god help you trying to not lose in under 2 minutes.

That's our well!

Icy

Banned
Just finished setting up The Stats program Points system. All is in effect now. Just added a Steam Community Event for 9pm EST / 6pm PST tonight 4/18!

dionysus said:
Take that shit off the rotation! All the other valve maps have something fun about them.
Oh cmon! Well is plenty fun.

cp_well0035.jpg

dionysus

Yaldog
PillowKnight said:
Oh cmon! Well is plenty fun.
The last point can be captured in like 3 seconds. No way to defend against that when you have spies on it.

Edit. Should learn the difference between Know and No.

dionysus said:
The last point can be captured in like 3 seconds. No way to defend against that when you have spies on it.

Edit. Should learn the difference between Know and No.
Which is why you have someone who spy checks stand on the point, it's TF2 101.

dionysus

Yaldog
PillowKnight said:
Which is why you have someone who spy checks stand on the point, it's TF2 101.

Because of course he will be unmolested and alive all the time. 3s captures + respawn timers = undefendable.

dionysus said:
Because of course he will be unmolested and alive all the time. 3s captures + respawn timers = undefendable.
The odds are stacked against you, yes, but that's the fun of it. Think of it this way,you have the regular cap points in which there are drawn out battles with decent weight on them , then there are the epic final cap points, which are more of a quick--high stakes game(and the thrill that accompanies that). Now, you might say that having these quick caps cheapens the overall battle, but I prefer it to having the battle at a stalemate on the final point with both teams doing "decent". Basically, if you can't put up skill wise it's best that the final battle does not drag on.

As far as my experience goes, some of the most epic and thrilling battles occur when you have a good team defending that final point against those odds.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
The odds are stacked against you, yes, but that's the fun of it. Think of it this way,you have the regular cap points in which there are drawn out battles with decent weight on them , then there are the epic final cap points, which are more of a quick--high stakes game(and the thrill that accompanies that). Now, you might say that having these quick caps cheapens the overall battle, but I prefer it to having the battle at a stalemate on the final point with both teams doing "decent". Basically, if you can't put up skill wise it's best that the final battle does not drag on.

As far as my experience goes, some of the most epic and thrilling battles occur when you have a good team defending that final point against those odds.

This is absolute true. However, the problem with Well is that since the room is so damn huge, there's really no constriction to encourage a heated battle. The diametric opposite of this final cap is Warpath's, which can be borderline impossible to cap.

I think a map like Badlands gets the final cap design right. However, the cap time is just WAY too fast. even an extra second or two tacked on to that cap time would be great.

Davidion said:
This is absolute true. However, the problem with Well is that since the room is so damn huge, there's really no constriction to encourage a heated battle. The diametric opposite of this final cap is Warpath's, which can be borderline impossible to cap.

I think a map like Badlands gets the final cap design right. However, the cap time is just WAY too fast. even an extra second or two tacked on to that cap time would be great.
Warpath is a mess, but yeah I'll agree on badlands , doesn't bug me too much though.

As far as well though, I think the room is huge in order to prevent sentry spam, also to give scouts some breathing room.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Warpath is a mess, but yeah I'll agree on badlands , doesn't bug me too much though.

As far as well though, I think the room is huge in order to prevent sentry spam, also to give scouts some breathing room.

Warpath 2.0 soon ^^

Davidion

PillowKnight said:

Yeah, I think Badlands is a fundamentally well designed map; I even do pretty well in it usually. However, I don't love it, and I can't put my fingers on why.

Anyways. I think that making a final cap too easy really isn't a good thing, at least not from a non-professional POV. The idea should be to make the middle points easier to cap so as to encourage shifting of balance, and then allow for more difficult final caps so as to foster intense back-to-the-wall fighting. Maps like Granary and Well are just the opposite, while Badlands does this balance relatively well (and warpath is just fucked :lol). That's just my opinion anyhow.

1-D_FTW

Icy, how come your server doesn't have the VAC symbol next to it? It's the only server I can spot without one.

Yeah, I've reinstalled it. I'm probably not gonna play till the patch is released, but the 1UP Show has me excited again. I was just addicted to playing and I wasn't having much fun (so all annoyances were being magnified. Like a week straight where I was auto-switched 80 percent of the time.) A forced exile was absolutely necessary for me to regain some love for it.

SyNapSe

Warpath has always been my favorite "normal" map in the game, but yeah it's a bit tough to finish those last points now that you can't conc in, or team push around that corner and then have a demo pipe jump through the air and toss his specialty grenade as soon as he sees a SG.

The final fortress is too big for the new method of pushing, e.g. ubercharges.

I still like to play it and go back and forth, that battle is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom