• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
IMO Horus killed the server.

ANY custom kills the game servers now. Customs have left a bad taste in many peoples mouths, and also a lot of ppl do not want to wait for a download of any type.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TF used to be ENTIRELY custom maps, and now people won't touch them. Again, not without good reason as early TF2 custom maps sucked for one reason or another, but some are pretty decent.

...and I liked horus. :(

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
TF used to be ENTIRELY custom maps, and now people won't touch them. Again, not without good reason as early TF2 custom maps sucked for one reason or another, but some are pretty decent.

Yeah agreed. There's some really good ones, there are some really nice ones (huge 40mb downloads :( ), and then there's the trash. Horus isn't trash.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Horus did have some annoying parts though. The music got old quickly, and it's simply too big of a map for a handful of players. However, being able to actually sneak up on people almost anywhere was awesome.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Anyway, it is true that Icy showed his immaturity as a service admin. While it is nice to think that you rule the sandbox with an iron fist, keeping a good play environment going requires a little give and take.

Hopefully lessons were learned from the experience.

Twig

Banned
Icy said:
I think its great the other guy started a TF2 server.. but my issue with it is this. The guy got himself banned for a violation of the TOS. Threatened to shut it down unless he was unbanned, and then said "LOL FUCK GAF" in his server title, and then decided to keep it up.

Thats pretty shitty in my personal opinion. Especially the "LOL FUCK GAF" for his own screw up. That line alone basically spits on this site/forum and all of its users. He doesn't have my respect anymore.
bloodletter's been pretty lighthearted about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure it's at least 50% a joke, 25%, "oh well, who the fuck cares", and then another 25% frustration. Though I won't pretend to speak for him. I'm just guessin'.

He also never threatened to shut it down unless he was unbanned. That was one option. The server also kind of died for a while. Once people started playing more, there was reason to keep it up again.

And of course he wants to come back to GAF. I mean, he started the whole server for GAF. Started a tourney, offering cash prizes for the winners (which for some reason people turned down O:<)! He was banned before the tourney ended! Rule-breaking or no, he was a boon. Jus' sayin'.

I'm not campaigning to get him back on the forums, but the way you keep attacking him is bullshit. He never did anything to you. You gave up on your server, and he came in with his own. You brought your server back with Rock2, but no one played on it. It almost seems like you're jealous, dude. \:

1-D_FTW

I hate dredging up the past (and really don't have anything personal against Icy), but I just wanna co-sign Pillowknights complaints. There were definitely large swathes of time where Icy seemed to take pleasure in just antagonizing people.

Everyone on the server would constantly bitch. So you'd feel empowered to make a complaint in the forum. Icy would dismiss it as a lone complaint. A bunch of others would follow up and Icy would dismiss the complaints as a vocal minority. And as it added up over time, people just got less tolerant and it slowly drove them away. As all the regulars know, the whole locked/tournament thing had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Hitokage said:

To be fair to those who aren't fans of customs, a lot has to do with maps being complete remakes of TF maps. And if you removed the nostalgia/fan service factor, the maps were broken because the two games are balanced completely differently.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If somebody wants to independently review SexConker's case, look up the post histories of "MrNibbles" and "Conker".

1-D: I'd have to agree with the stated complaints too, although I'll mention that some of it was us getting caught up in modification excitement. As the saying goes, when you have a hammer...

dionysus

Yaldog
I wasn't playing TF2 at the time of the server controversy, but I personally think we should show a little love to Icy's server now that we are meeting up pretty regularly.

Why? Cause SexConker's server is now an unknown factor since he is no longer a GAFfer. I don't think we can count on it being around long term.

It is to all of our benefit to have a GAF server that has a good enough following among the public that it is always full.

Icy

Banned
eznark said:
on Tuesday afternoon?

9pm EST I believe its set for. I'm trying to get it set for Tuesday/Thursdays TF2 Night especially with the renewed Interest with this Medic Patch coming this year sometime.

And Mondays random game night. Like CSS, UT, CoH, or something. We'll see.

I'm almost finished writing a gaming tournament/ladder site script that I'll test with TF2 soon.

Icy

Banned
dionysus said:
I wasn't playing TF2 at the time of the server controversy, but I personally think we should show a little love to Icy's server now that we are meeting up pretty regularly.

Why? Cause SexConker's server is now an unknown factor since he is no longer a GAFfer. I don't think we can count on it being around long term.

It is to all of our benefit to have a GAF server that has a good enough following among the public that it is always full.

Thanks for the support. I'm not trying to hurt the guy at all, but it is what it is. most gaffers excuse for still playing his server is cause there's pepople there. Reality of the matter is, if you get a small gaming going on an empty server, it fills quick with pubs.

JoeFu

Banned
I'll try to play a little today, I got a paper due tomorrow that I haven't worked on though, so I'll see.

And server drama is stupid, but I tend to go to Icy's server just because I've been playing there since it started up. The only thing that bothered me about Icy's place was rtv, but i think he fixed it.

Icy

Banned
JoeFu said:
I'll try to play a little today, I got a paper due tomorrow that I haven't worked on though, so I'll see.

And server drama is stupid, but I tend to go to Icy's server just because I've been playing there since it started up. The only thing that bothered me about Icy's place was rtv, but i think he fixed it.

RTV works. Needs a 40% mininum of RTV or 1 Admin to initiate. It'll give a random of 4 maps including customs not including the current map, or the previously played map.

RTV cannot be iniated within the first 15 minutes of the start of a map either now.

Rotation has all valve standard except for CTF_Well right now. There are no class limits right now (When Patch comes.. Medic Get the Limit!), No forced teams unless its unbalanced like normal. I think thats all.

Reserve Slots work like they should as well. Reserve list includes all previous donators.

Twig

Banned
Icy said:
RTV cannot be iniated within the first 15 minutes of the start of a map either now.
If I'm allowed to make a suggestion, your honor, that's a bit too long. In my opinion. Make it too long and people will leave the server before they have a chance to change the map from something they don't like.

d:

Icy

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
If I'm allowed to make a suggestion, your honor, that's a bit too long. In my opinion. Make it too long and people will leave the server before they have a chance to change the map from something they don't like.

d:

there are people who try to rtv right from the getgo and if they can't they leave. I feel 15 minutes gives enough time to try it out and see how the game goes if anything.. I could drop it to 10 minutes. But I really want to see how 15 minutes has worked out. From the few games I played over the weekend it worked well, other than the 1 or 2 random pub taking off within 2 mimnutes or disconnecting at the loading screen since its a map they do not like.

Zyzyxxz

Can we change the timing of the events?

The problem is that its 12PM for west coast Gaffers and 3PM for the other states that suck but to be fair its too early for us all.

Icy

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Can we change the timing of the events?

The problem is that its 12PM for west coast Gaffers and 3PM for the other states that suck but to be fair its too early for us all.

the events are set for 9 PM EST which is 6pm PST.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Icy said:
Thanks for the support. I'm not trying to hurt the guy at all, but it is what it is. most gaffers excuse for still playing his server is cause there's pepople there. Reality of the matter is, if you get a small gaming going on an empty server, it fills quick with pubs.

You know, when you first brought your server back, a few of us went there to try out your new map and maybe get a few games going. Within 5 minutes, you used /slay (or whatever it is these days) on my cousin because you couldn't stop him from capping the intelligence fairly.

People don't like playing on servers where that kind of shit happens. Whether you're doing it to be funny or out of frustration, it's only amusing to you.

And I like SexConker. I don't need an "excuse" to play on his server. You're not going to make yourself any more popular saying shit like that.

Icy

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
You know, when you first brought your server back, a few of us went there to try out your new map and maybe get a few games going. Within 5 minutes, you used /slay (or whatever it is these days) on my cousin because you couldn't stop him from capping the intelligence fairly.

People don't like playing on servers where that kind of shit happens. Whether you're doing it to be funny or out of frustration, it's only amusing to you.

And I like SexConker. I don't need an "excuse" to play on his server. You're not going to make yourself any more popular saying shit like that.

I haven't used it?

Won

I can remember when Icy joined the the server with hydro on, started after a few minutes his no clip server thing, flew around the map as heavy killing everyone and capping the point.
Half of the players instantly left.

Ahh memories.

Icy

Banned
Won said:
I can remember when Icy joined the the server with hydro on, started after a few minutes his no clip server thing, flew around the map as heavy killing everyone and capping the point.
Half of the players instantly left.

Ahh memories.

That was funny. I haven't done anything like that in a very long time.

Icy

Banned
Orellio said:
No way dude the TF2 Tuesday/Thursday events are all set to 3pm EST. An event reminder went off an hour ago.

SOmehow all of the times reset to GMT.. I just corrected it all.

eznark

Banned
Had a blast getting my ass whupped. F' you Cheetah!!

I got back stabbed so damn often, and I still had a good time. If that isn't a testament to this game I don't know what is.

I got the head shots achievement! All that time as a bad sniper has finally paid off.

I'm up to 750 kills too. Seeing as I only started playing about a week ago, max, that's rather awesome, and scary.

Had a lot of fun playing tonight. Even if I have nightmares about spys. Playing as a sniper and an engineer primarily tonight they haunt me constantly.

1up

I still havent gotten the 25 headshots achievement. Don't look forward to it either.
I hate being a sniper, so paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom