• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

Akia said:
is the patch up?
don't think so. nothing wrong with playing before it's released :p

anyone else having problems connceting love me sexy just then (we had 3v3/4 games going)?

edit: it's back up i think

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It crashes sometimes when a custom map is voted in but then reboots to Hydro. It never did it on Cave before, so I hope it's not broken :(

It's back up so get back on bitches D:

Ysiadmihi said:
It crashes sometimes when a custom map is voted in but then reboots to Hydro. It never did it on Cave before, so I hope it's not broken :(

It's back up so get back on bitches D:
Look at the positives of it crashing like that: we get to play the best Valve map.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
You know what's a good way of getting your server populated?
Make a tournament and have it not end in heartbreak ^_^
Please Select Something You Have
• Big mouth
☞Room to talk
• Hypocrisy

Jswanko

Please Select Something You Have, Crushed
• Big mouth
•Room to talk
• Hypocrisy

freakout3.gif

Firestorm said:
You know what's a good way of getting your server populated?
Make a tournament and have it not end in heartbreak ^_^
Well I agree with you, almost makes me want to attempt another tournament. I doubt half the people who were in the first time would participate again.

sharkie

PillowKnight said:
Well I agree with you, almost makes me want to attempt another tournament. I doubt half the people who were in the first time would participate again.

Just getting back into playing games last few days so I'm up for it :)

Jswanko said:
what happened?

Couldn't set up a time for both teams to get together, although us BLU's always had the highest amount of participants IIRC

Someone care to paraphrase what the fvck happened with the hostility towards the guy who hosts the server?

BTW, anyone looking to play with me tonight, I'll be on the [Q] servers. :D

VictimOfGrief said:
Someone care to paraphrase what the fvck happened with the hostility towards the guy who hosts the server?

BTW, anyone looking to play with me tonight, I'll be on the [Q] servers. :D

We love Icy. We hate Icy. Long Live Icy!

Twig

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
I don't know if anyone's openly hostile to Icy. D:

Basically it comes down to who knows what will happen with the server in the future. There were constant changes to the rulesets, the serve was on and off again multiple times. All in all, unreliable. Icy promises better times. We'll see. I don't blame him, per se, because I'm sure it's annoying having everyone down your throat all the time. Nonetheless...

bloodletter's server has been remarkably reliable, even after he was banned from GAF. Quite a feat.

TheOneGuy said:
I don't know if anyone's openly hostile to Icy. D:

Basically it comes down to who knows what will happen with the server in the future. There were constant changes to the rulesets, the serve was on and off again multiple times. All in all, unreliable. Icy promises better times. We'll see. I don't blame him, per se, because I'm sure it's annoying having everyone down your throat all the time. Nonetheless...

bloodletter's server has been remarkably reliable, even after he was banned from GAF. Quite a feat.
Pretty much, don't think anyone hates the guy, we're just adverse to his server.

Actually the last tournament fell apart because Icy's team failed to show up :p. Maybe it's worth trying again, we'll see after goldrush comes out.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Pretty much, don't think anyone hates the guy, we're just adverse to his server.

Actually the last tournament fell apart because Icy's team failed to show up :p. Maybe it's worth trying again, we'll see after goldrush comes out.

1.) Population Issues

Actually the tournament killed my server in terms of players.

With all the constant password on and off. It alienated non neogaf regulars, and neogaf regulars who were not particpating in the tournament. Then once everything was done and the server was left alone, next to no one used it. Why? people said on here "No one's on it". Why was no one on it? The pub people and non tourney playing neogaffers went elsewhere.
No one on these forums will join a server with < 3 ppl. Even though the more that join a server, more people will come. But no one here seems to understand this concept except for a tiny few.

2.) There were monetary issues. I took Donations to upkeep the server, first couple months and the additional servers were backed by me. Then I did donations to help the upkeeping. Some people from here did chargebacks, some notified me as why and others never said a word. I was able to track all the chargebacks back.. of which only 6 were from neogaf users and another 5 were from Public users. Of those 11 total, all bu 2 are banned from the server. The 2 neogaffers who contacted me prior to doing it explained why and they were justifable if they were telling the truth. I'll assume the truth. All the others who donated are still on the current servers reserve list.

Back in February I worked out a loose deal with my server host on costs for a long term agreement, however due to next to no use from neogaffers (see #1), I had it suspended until recently. Server is online and will continue to be online without issue until end of the year. If people wish to help offset costs, thats great, but send me a PM.

3.) Admins

I made several people admins, of which like almost 80% of them quit playing a week later. So I went through several admins, some were pretty damned stupid choices after what I saw and others were great. I gotta fix this.

I have no problem running a tournament or putting together some sort of team or forum based events, just doing it like 3-5 days a week, kills the server. Next tournament.. I'll handle it myself, I have a ladder/tourney system I will be unveiling soon that will fix all these problems.

I think its great the other guy started a TF2 server.. but my issue with it is this. The guy got himself banned for a violation of the TOS. Threatened to shut it down unless he was unbanned, and then said "LOL FUCK GAF" in his server title, and then decided to keep it up.

Thats pretty shitty in my personal opinion. Especially the "LOL FUCK GAF" for his own screw up. That line alone basically spits on this site/forum and all of its users. He doesn't have my respect anymore.

My 2 cents. Hope to see you all tonight :)

1up

Going to be on tonight around 7pm EST.

I need to add more of you guys to my friends list for that achievement. :D

eznark

Banned
Quick question on Steam friends/groups. I'll see someone in the GAF Steam group, click on them and try to "join game in progress" yet I inevitable get an error message? What am I doing wrong (I figured this would be a good way to find a populated server when others were dead).

Icy said:
Actually the tournament killed my server in terms of players.

With all the constant password on and off. It alienated non neogaf regulars, and neogaf regulars who were not particpating in the tournament. Then once everything was done and the server was left alone, next to no one used it. Why? people said on here "No one's on it". Why was no one on it? The pub people and non tourney playing neogaffers went elsewhere.
No one on these forums will join a server with < 3 ppl. Even though the more that join a server, more people will come. But no one here seems to understand this concept except for a tiny few.
Or it could have been the shitty settings and shitty maps, or the often broken map selection. There was no "Constant passwording" the server was password locked about three times max within the span of a month, maybe four.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Or it could have been the shitty settings and shitty maps, or the often broken map selection. There was no "Constant passwording" the server was password locked about three times max within the span of a month, maybe four.

Talk to the guys who ran the tourney. They were given access and directions on how to change the setups. And rotate/change maps. Also I have the logs to backup the password protection constant.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:

Right now there are no class limits. RTV is needed by 40% of the server. There are no customs in the rotation. However Customs show up in the RTV. not sure what else was "shitty"

Icy said:
Talk to the guys who ran the tourney. They were given access and directions on how to change the setups. And rotate/change maps. Also I have the logs to backup the password protection constant.
Think what you will, the server was bleeding regulars, and the reason for that was not the tournament.

Anyways, look at it this way, the vile dictator made all the wrong choices and the people hated it, the dictator is replaced by a better alternative, the dictator then comes back "Hey guys! It'll be better this time." The last thing to happen in this situation is for the people to jump back into his loving arms.

I wasn't even on the server at the time, but I can't believe you actually tried to force people into playing horus, fucking ridiculous.

Hito : To be fair it wasn't all of us at once, it was more of a tag team. But yeah, that was fun.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Think what you will, the server was bleeding regulars, and the reason for that was not the tournament.

Anyways, look at it this way, the vile dictator made all the wrong choices and the people hated it, the dictator is replaced by a better alternative, the dictator then comes back "Hey guys! It'll be better this time." The last thing to happen in this situation is for the people to jump back into his loving arms.

I wasn't even on the server at the time, but I can't believe you actually tried to force people into playing horus, fucking ridiculous.

Hito : To be fair it wasn't all of us at once, it was more of a tag team. But yeah, that was fun.

I made the wrong decisions. Aww yes, maybe 25%. I liked Horus and there are some who do, but the masses do not like Horus. But it still holds a high rating on several map sites. As for the various changes and map decisions. 75% of those came from these very people who post on this thread. And several in fact were the same people who would post after the fact, its horrible, go back. But it is, what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom