• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That map is pretty good. I don't pretend to be...like..totally in the know as to what the hell was going on, but it is designed in such a way that I was dominating two people at once with my sentry, which is always a good way to make me approve of a map.

Sciz

Feels good to be making people pop and burn again.

Is Avanti an updated version of a map that used to be in the rotation? It seemed really familiar, but not quite.

Holepunch

Avanti was a well-known map from the original Team Fortress. Probably why it was familiar. So far its the only map I've seen that actually works well with instant respawn. Although to be honest, the offending team should have a 5 second respawn timer. Considering all they have to do is so much as touch the control point with the intel, kind of hard for the defending team.

Oh, and Icy. I heard your server isn't secured. Meaning people with hacked versions of steam can play it and people are able to say....turn on No-Clip. I'm not entirely sure if its true or not, but if it is you might want to look into it.

Icy

Banned
Holepunch said:
Avanti was a well-known map from the original Team Fortress. Probably why it was familiar. So far its the only map I've seen that actually works well with instant respawn. Although to be honest, the offending team should have a 5 second respawn timer. Considering all they have to do is so much as touch the control point with the intel, kind of hard for the defending team.

Oh, and Icy. I heard your server isn't secured. Meaning people with hacked versions of steam can play it and people are able to say....turn on No-Clip. I'm not entirely sure if its true or not, but if it is you might want to look into it.

Anyone with a properly hacked version of steam can play on any server.

VAC is crap. All VAC does is block banned accounts from playing on a server (VAC has a 20% wrong banning rate). If VAC scans memory and sees something suspicious it adds the account to a general list. Several months later, Valve will do a complete ban on all on the list. It doesn't provide concurrent kicking/banning. So if someone is hacking, there's nothing that can be done other than an admin kick/ban.

There are no hacks that allow no clip,etc. Its all false. An admin is able to do it only through the use of a server side mod.

Hacks that do exist are no smoke, no flash, radar hack (see everyone), wireframe walls,etc. which are all in CSS.

There's a couple TF2 hacks, but all they do is show wireframe models and modify the spready of the weapons. Again, not something VAC can stop or block. ALl VAC does it possibly catch someone and ban them later on.

tribal24

Banned
ok this is prolly the wrong thread but i need help so i brought team fortess 2 yesterday i cant get the game running at fair fps. i just made this compputer recently but i didnt get a graphic card for it yet waiting to see if prices go down a bit heres my specs

amd x2 5000+ black edition Oced to 3.0ghz
2gbs ddr2 800 ram
160 gb hdd
the intergrated card is nvidia geforce 7050/630a

i know i should be able to run this game at atleast 30fps but wth even if i turn down visual settings i get the same fps

So I'm pretty sure I've figured out why I average 7 FPS. My CPU and GPU are running with an average temperature of 70 degrees C, which is pretty bad. What's worse, the fan in my laptop (Everex XT5000T) is improperly configured (and I can't change it), so it runs low all the time and does nothing to help my system. So it looks like my best option is to get an external laptop fan cooler base thingy. Yay.

LouieGeetoo said:
So I'm pretty sure I've figured out why I average 7 FPS. My CPU and GPU are running with an average temperature of 70 degrees C, which is pretty bad. What's worse, the fan in my laptop (Everex XT5000T) is improperly configured (and I can't change it), so it runs low all the time and does nothing to help my system. So it looks like my best option is to get an external laptop fan cooler base thingy. Yay.

That's the most convenient method you have for a laptop. My compaq sounds like a vacuum cleaner when a 3D game is open and my desk gets really hot. Eventually it will shut off if the air passage way is too dusty.

Luckily I have a desktop where I can swap parts. My 7900GS was reaching 120 degrees C where the fps grinds to a halt with a struggle to exit out the game to boot. Every other part (cpu, hdd, motherboard chip) were all under 40C. Got it returned because of lifetime warranty and all is fine now.

Zyzyxxz

No Means Nomad said:
But next week GTA IV comes out. That's the problem here.

yup sacrifices.

Fall behind in learning the new stuff and not falling behind at the expense of holding off the urge to play GTA4

Holepunch

Bah, to hell with depending on Valve for any sort of release date. From now on I'm not expecting anything out of them. They can't disappoint he who has no hopes. The lower my expectations go, the happier I'll be.

Now then, the server has been empty all day, so if anyone posts here soon we start a little 1 on 1 and populate it.

witness

I will join in the bitching of this damn patch not being out yet, WTF!! At least though I don't have to worry about GTA distracting me, no 360 or PS3. Instead I'll be balancing it with Mario Kart that I'll get tomorrow.

Wasn't this damn thing supposed to be out on the 20th?

witness said:
I will join in the bitching of this damn patch not being out yet, WTF!! At least though I don't have to worry about GTA distracting me, no 360 or PS3. Instead I'll be balancing it with Mario Kart that I'll get tomorrow.
Yeah...you probably shouldn't be too worried.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I've had the Orange Box since January but only lately have started to play Team Fortress 2. I've never played FPS games before, and I have to say this one is extremely fun. I'm also happy to see people aren't assholes on this despite how much I suck.

Now I just need to learn how to play better and I'll be set. :D

Zyzyxxz

Kave_Man said:
I've had the Orange Box since January but only lately have started to play Team Fortress 2. I've never played FPS games before, and I have to say this one is extremely fun. I'm also happy to see people aren't assholes on this despite how much I suck.

Now I just need to learn how to play better and I'll be set. :D

the great thing about this game is that it supports all sorts of play styles.

Demo man are good for camping and staying behind a corner, snipers are good for um... snipers, scouts for the fast paced palyers and so on...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Seriously, they're actually going to release on the same day as GTA?
Slo said:
Is there any place that I can view more detailed TF2 stats than on my Steam Profile page?
Open this file, tf2_playerstats.dmx, in your TF2 folder. It's a pain to read, the first set of entries are the total for kills, deaths etc, then second set are your round best.

Fake Edit: Or just download this: http://erlend.dahl.googlepages.com/tf2stats, it's a bit ugly (regardless of the font you use) but it's so much easier than looking through that file.

4/29 release date. They were busy reading and watching content about GTA IV last week and whole staff has come to a consensus that productivity is moot for the following month.

I don't care when it comes out, as long as this new weapon nonsense doesn't break the game.

It will be nice getting healed by all the medics struggling to unlock the new shit.

Slo

Ikuu said:
Open this file, tf2_playerstats.dmx, in your TF2 folder. It's a pain to read, the first set of entries are the total for kills, deaths etc, then second set are your round best.

Fake Edit: Or just download this: http://erlend.dahl.googlepages.com/tf2stats, it's a bit ugly (regardless of the font you use) but it's so much easier than looking through that file.

Thanks!

Ikuu said:

Thanks, and damn, i've got only 1.5mil heal points so far. The ubersaw is going to be almost impossible to get.

1-D_FTW

Looking at those achievements, I'm thinking a lot of people are just gonna rig matches up to help each other accumulate these. I suppose for pyro and soldier I'll probably do the same thing if I want the upgrades bad enough. Just wish these upgrades weren't tied to achievements (hate em'.)

You know what? I think I'd support Valve charging 5 bucks to unlock a class. I'd rather pay a couple dollars than grind. It's not in Valve's spirit to do this, but I hope they make an exception.

Slo

PillowKnight said:
Thanks, and damn, i've got only 1.5mil heal points so far. The ubersaw is going to be almost impossible to get.

Are medic achievements going to be retroactive?

Capndrake

Ikuu said:
It's only a million now, they changed some of the others also: http://flickr.com/photos/timdorr/page4/
Hell yes, pretty much every one that sounded hard was changed.

Uber Scout and kill 4 people is now 2 or 3 (Bit hard to make out).
Uber Heavy and punch out 4 enemies is now 2.
Uber Demo and blow up 8 buildings is now 5.
10 million heal points is now 1 million.
10 successive Bonesaw hits is now 5.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Capndrake said:
Uber Scout and kill 4 people is now 2 or 3 (Bit hard to make out).
It's 3. (click on the "All Sizes" button above the picture)

But yes, thank God the things like 10 million heal points and stuff were toned down.

Someone on Steam's forums actually took the estimated time for the Medic pack based on the 10,000,000 healing achievement, multiplied it by 9, and concluded that it would take something like 2.5 years to unlock all of the content for every character. :lol

Twig

Banned
I killed at least four people while uber'd as a scout last night.

An uber'd scout is fucking sweet, make no mistake. No fear of dying, and the scattergun at close range is, as we all know, deadly. o:

Won

Hmm you still need to kill 50 scouts and medics....in my 20h of medic play I killed around 3, maybe 5 each.

Won said:
Hmm you still need to kill 50 scouts and medics....in my 20h of medic play I killed around 3, maybe 5 each.
Well, you've never been trying. It shouldn't be too hard considering medics/medics are going to be actively dueling now. It will take a while though.

:lol at the "Big Pharma" achievement icon. It's a bulldozer.

To be honest, i'll probably get Zero to help me with most of these. Specially the "kill 5 enemy buildings while ubering a demoman.".

Capndrake

Won said:
I guess your best bet for those is during Humiliation (If kills during it count). Otherwise, eh, we'll just have a night of all scouts and medics sometime.

Firestorm

Ikuu said:

Hey, if they have all these stats tracked maybe the achievements will be retroactive? God I hope so ^_^

Oh jeez, 1.4 mil heal points and I've been playing for like 34 hours >__>; Please be retroactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom