• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

No Means Nomad said:
Medic is the best close range combatant. Bonesaw reach and crit rate is nuts.
dunno about that; maybe for melee only though =)

and yes, it seems the saw delivers crit after crit... D: at least when i'm on the other end

Icy

Banned
So whats this spy holding?

pl_goldrush0002.jpg

The new patch is Exploit city.

JoeFu

Banned
Goldrush is like my favorite level ever now. Never had so much fun playing defense and I was doing pretty well as a sniper last night.

Icy

Banned
JoeFu said:
Goldrush is like my favorite level ever now. Never had so much fun playing defense and I was doing pretty well as a sniper last night.

Its a modified dustbowl bro.

Davidion

Zyzyxxz said:
The only classes that will outdo a soldier in close range against multiple would be the heavy and pyro.

Why not demo? pipe bombs wont do taht well against many and stickies need to already be setup so unless he planned for it but stickies are visible and avoidable.

Teknopathetic said:
Short of the Heavy, the soldier is the best close ranged class in the game. And the heavy's spool up time makes it a close call.

Guys, guuuuuys, I specified "multiple positions".

Let's not kid ourselves here; from a purely offensive POV, you uber to take out sentries and wade through large defensive positions. Soldier's long range firepower is pointless because the whole idea is that you're in close quarters soaking up what would otherwise be damage, his dueling abilities is also pointless because you typically are not going to waste an uber trying to kill one or two people. He doesn't dish out enough damage in a single burst to destroy sentries like the demoman can or as fast as a pyro could while damaging the engineer, negating repairs. His abilities to take out large groups of people requires that the enemies are either clumped together and/or are unable to dodge the rockets, both are situational and even in the case of the former, the pyro and heavy are arguably better choices.

No one is saying the class sucks, it's a powerhouse. However, when it comes to a specific tactical action such as ubering, other classes have specific situational strengths that more often than not makes them a better candidate for a medic. That's all.

Davidion

JoeFu said:
I know it is, but that cart pushing is intense.

:lol Yeah we were being steamrolled last night but held on to the fourth cap point. The cart was practically on top of the final cap; I was hiding behind it and pushing against it, as if threatening to physically push the damn thing back to the check point.

Oh and Icy, I think the Avanti timers are way too high. Playing defense last night, our team held the first and second points for a long time and we were still looking at 15:00+ remaining defense times. It was a bit nuts.

The map itself was a welcome sight though. It brought back a lot of memories.

Davidion said:
Oh and Icy, I think the Avanti timers are way too high. Playing defense last night, our team held the first and second points for a long time and we were still looking at 15:00+ remaining defense times. It was a bit nuts.

The map itself was a welcome sight though. It brought back a lot of memories.
The new Avanti is so much fun!! I love the unique system of capping with the Intel. I was having some fun screwing around as attack Medic w/Nob (who is really good at attacking lol), but do agree the timer is too long.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
The new Avanti is so much fun!! I love the unique system of capping with the Intel. I was having some fun screwing around as attack Medic w/Nob (who is really good at attacking lol), but do agree the timer is too long.

Timers are fun. Play faster.

Sciz

Our defense was amazing. But the offense would have to be completely awful to lose that map with the current timers.

Won

Yeah was nice....all the killing stuff is out of my way. The rest will happen sooner or later on my variuos 10k heal tries.^^

sharkie

Prior to the patch's release I played a map similar to goldrush but instead of a bomb it was the infamous cow stand on 2fort anyone played that as well??

dionysus

Yaldog
I guess what is annoying me about the medic achievements is that a lot of the achievements one wouldn't get while "correctly" playing. An ubered heavy probably shouldn't be punching. Rarely is it worthwhile to uber a scout.

It just seems alot of these achievements are quirky gimmicks that are more humorous than practical in real play.

Also the fact that some of my regular servers now have 7/12 players per team as medics.

I hope the upcoming class achievements are attainable when one is properly fulfilling the role of the class.

Firestorm

I'm still conflicted. I want the dam ubersaw thing because it looks like something every medic should have... but I want to get the achievements normally as I used to be a big medic player and they'll help me keep playing.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
Your server's "sorry, you don't have this map and I won't send it to you" behavior. :(

which map.

Just cause a map is on the game server, I might not have it on the webserver.

dionysus

Yaldog
Icy said:
its the uninformed. It'll be ok WhatRuOn

So you think when every medic on your team is achievement farming and only uber scouts the entire game that makes the game fun and competitive?

dionysus said:
So you think when every medic on your team is achievement farming and only uber scouts the entire game that makes the game fun and competitive?
It makes the game wacky and crazy. If you're not into that well... it'll pass.

I keep wondering if Valve play tested this patch at all. Goldrush is heavy/medic city highly favoring the offensive team, and the rest of the maps are fucked by medics abandoning teamwork in favor of achievements.

It's great when no one on your team wants to play medic except for the one or two idiots running around looking for achievements.

Cheeto

dionysus said:
No, but I think an Ubered scout is dangerous and not a waste of an uber.

Sciz

vultureparade said:
Goldrush is heavy/medic city highly favoring the offensive team
what

Goldrush is amazing for every class with the possible exceptions of scouts and pyros. And while the offense can generally steamroll the first point, the defense has wonderful environments to dig in and stop the attackers cold for the second.

Won

Just lost a game on Gold Rush because of too many engineers on my team. So yeah Team Fortress 2 is back! (on some servers)

dionysus

Yaldog
Davidion said:
I'm going to have to try that as a tactic.

Also, would like to see what a kritzkrieg'ed sniper would do.

A sniper should mostly be getting headshots anyway, so it would most likely be a waste.

dionysus

Yaldog
Davidion said:
Ahhhh, so it would seem. However, does this also go for uncharged shots?

Thing is, a sniper can't run to the action while sniping. So he may experience a lot of downtime during the uber waiting for someone to run into view.

I think Valve will patch the new Medic saw soon. Right now it charges the uber WHILE you are being ubered, so if the ubered Medic hits four people he can turn around and uber the other medic...and so on.

There is a video of youtube of 2 good medics doing this tactic. One ubers the other medic who is attacking with the ubersaw. He hits four people, then turns around to uber the other medic who pulls out his saw. Plus the new saw has CRAZY high crit rate.

Davidion

dionysus said:
Thing is, a sniper can't run to the action while sniping. So he may experience a lot of downtime during the uber waiting for someone to run into view.

Yeah but I can think of a few places with high traffic, where such a setup could be really effective. Choke points leading into open areas in dustbowl, first cap/second checkpoint in goldrush, mid-point in warpath, etc.

Cheeto

Sciz said:
what

Goldrush is amazing for every class with the possible exceptions of scouts and pyros. And while the offense can generally steamroll the first point, the defense has wonderful environments to dig in and stop the attackers cold for the second.
Spaces might be too tight for Scouts, but Pyros definitely kick ass on it.
pl_goldrush0001.jpg

fallout said:
2x capping on the bomb makes scouts pretty valuable in Goldrush.
I was wondering about this but never play Scout outside of Gravel Pit. That's cool, still not valuable.. but less useless for obstinate players.

Won

omgimaninja said:
I think Valve will patch the new Medic saw soon. Right now it charges the uber WHILE you are being ubered, so if the ubered Medic hits four people he can turn around and uber the other medic...and so on.

There is a video of youtube of 2 good medics doing this tactic. One ubers the other medic who is attacking with the ubersaw. He hits four people, then turns around to uber the other medic who pulls out his saw. Plus the new saw has CRAZY high crit rate.

I think that was the first idea I read here on this board after they first announced it.^^

Bit weird that it really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom