• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Oh yeah, everyone wants points.

Probably more effective to have one uber pair and one kritz pair, anyway. But sometimes you have no choice. Eh.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
Also can two medics uber and kritz someone at the same time?

That's a defense breaker right there, two medics doing that plus a good heavy. Imagine something like that on the fourth cap point of Dustbowl.

I do wonder how well people will organize to do something like that outside of clan/tourney games.

Capndrake

dionysus said:
Can you choose to not have the syringe gun at all and have both healing guns?
No, you have to have one Syringe Gun, one Medi Gun and one saw. Best loadout IMO is Blutsauger (No contest), either Medi Gun (Really depends on the situation) and the Ubersaw (No contest either).

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:
I did it yesterday easily, here's what you do, join a 32 person warpath server and stay out of the fire.

I'm gonna agree with you on the critzcrieg, for the most part it sucks. While playing medic, im having a hard time finding good use for it. While playing other classes I rarely have enough people around to make good use of it, or even worse, when you have a crit uber and the enemy counters with a regular uber. The only time it's been used sucessfully on me was on dustbowl, crit rockets into the spawn tunnels is very effective.

I've yet to see one in action, but wouldn't it be terrific for capturing points on Dustbowl and Goldmine? Players tend to be bunched up and you usually have nooks where the soldier can peek and pop and the medic remains in cover.

Even on the final CP of stage 2 goldmine, yesterday I noticed soldiers and demo have a protected line to the sentries that are always built on that left ledge. 4 crit rockets should clear that out real easy. Clear the ledge and then drop a couple to anyone surrounding the cart.

dionysus

Yaldog
Soldiers die really fast vs. a level 3 sentry though. I think the kritz is situational and overall less useful. It has its uses though.

1-D_FTW

The sentries at that Goldrush corner can't even fire at you from the protected line in that building. Plus, aren't distant sentries pretty stupid until they've been hit? I know a lot of times I'll fire off 3 rockets before it's been hit and starts firing back.

Sciz

Won said:
And so far I would say it is a horrible item. (for something that you only can change at the spawn point) With the medigun you and your target is invulnerable AND has a chance to crit the enemy. With the Kritzkrieg you crit like crazy, but you don't have a chance to get invlnerable. The 10% faster charger rate also doesn't really help with it.

Maybe it helps, if you don't try to get as many rockets out as possible as soldier. Stay back with your medic and shoot your enemies from a greater distance. (Basically everyone tries to hide in front of the gates on Gold Rush. Just not a good idea with the Kritz)
I think halving damage taken for the duration of the kritz would help balance it out well enough. And yeah, keeping my distance would probably help too. I always forget that the damage on crits doesn't drop off over distance.

Won said:
I need both of you on my team. Want to test the effectivness of juggling 2 soldiers with the Kritz!
Oh boy. :lol

And as for sentry busting, IIRC crits just do normal damage to engineer buildings. You'd probably nail the engineer, though.

Won

1-D_FTW said:
The sentries at that Goldrush corner can't even fire at you from the protected line in that building. Plus, aren't distant sentries pretty stupid until they've been hit? I know a lot of times I'll fire off 3 rockets before it's been hit and starts firing back.
Sentries are rarely alone around a spawn point. Problem is everything can kill you. I use the Kritz for one day now and I already got sniped, backstabbed and critted while the uber was active. You need a very safe spot for you AND the target you uber AND a good distraction or meat shield.

Would love to see the 10% charge rate replaced by an overall 10%-20% range increase on the kritz. Would at least help the Medic a bit.

Oh and I need my last two achievments after I finished yesterdays Lost. So guys get ready for an epic 10k heal grind!

Davidion

WhatRuOn said:
Is there a special effect for the Kritzkrieg? How do you know it's activated? Not sure if I've seen it yet.

Your weapon starts to emit arcs of electricity, like the medic's gun when he's ubering. I'm not sure how it looks on other players, though.

Won said:
I need both of you on my team. Want to test the effectivness of juggling 2 soldiers with the Kritz!

Oh and @crooked rain: You sniped me yesterday around 8k healpoints crushing all my hope for the 10k achievement. You are on my "list" now. Have fun! *diabloc laughter*
:lol I guess I'll have to watch out for those backstabs.

1-D_FTW

I'm not getting the love for what a critted pyro can do. He's gotta do his work close in. That means there's no way he can take out sentries. The sentry will awaken well before he's in range. As for rushing people, everyone just has to retreat and shoot. And that's ignoring my most satisfying thing to do in TF2, playing as soldier and wasting a pyro's uber by constantly popping him up in the air with the rockets:) To be able to waste his uber and kill him? Double smile.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Davidion said:
Oddly enough in light of the soldier conversation that we had yesterday, this almost feels like it's going to be equally beneficial to practically any class, though it seems like it'd be a little more situational than the normal uber. Its effective time does seem a lot shorter though?
I still maintain that the class benefited most by a kritz is the Heavy. Chaingun crits are stupidly lethal, and it doesn't matter if you're not invulnerable when everyone else is dead. The one exception is getting headshotted.

...but yes, single rocket crits have a habit of killing 3-4 people at once, and multiple crits on demand from a distance are great too. :D

Icy

Banned
Later today we'll be releasing a required Team Fortress 2 update. No
specific timeframe yet, but we hope to have it out soon.

Jason

Sciz

Icy said:
Later today we'll be releasing a required Team Fortress 2 update. No
specific timeframe yet, but we hope to have it out soon.

Jason
No ubersaw charging while uber, and likely some bugfixes.

n0b

Capndrake said:
Blutsauger (No contest).
How dare you. D:<

I haven't had much time with the kritzkrieg, but just thinking about ammo capacity and damage dealt, I think the order of usefulness (Assuming the medic has a good partner at the proper ranges for their class) would be:

1.Demoman(medium/long range for stickies, medium/short for pipes) - 8 crit explosions in one clip at the right range, + up to 4 pipes depending on when they switch. Ridiculous damage if you have a good demo.

2.Heavy(medium/short range) - If they aren't an idiot, they'll kill a lot, but a heavy draws tons of attention and can't escape while firing, and the minigun is inaccurate as hell(even at medium range only ~half of the shots will hit.)

3.Pyro(short range) - No reloads and tons of damage but has to get in close to do anything.

4.Soldier(medium/short)-Scout(short) - Good damage, but reload times kill their effectiveness.

5.Engineer(medium/short) - Sentry doesn't get any gains, but engy shotgun is pretty quick and would be strong with crits, just not compared to other classes.

6.Medic(medium/short) - decent clip, damage, and fire rate, but slow reload.

7.Spy(any) - Revolver does good damage (120 with a crit), but ammo limitations put it low (especially because it pretty much doesn't allow for misses).

8.Sniper(medium) - rifle doesn't get crits, smg is the weakest gun in the game, period.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"Hi.
Yesterday, we reset your Medic achievements because we mistakenly believed you had hacked around the system to get them. Today we discovered a bug in our code that resulted in you being incorrectly flagged as cheating. As a result, I'm emailing you to apologize for our error, and to let you know that we've decided to award you the full set of Medic achievements.
Have fun with the Ubersaw,
Robin Walker."

I didn't even e-mail them about the problem but they fixed it anyway. lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
In case any of you guys REALLY want to get the medic achievements fast...

...check out the MARIO_KART_CP servers. It'll fuck up your stats screen by giving your Medic about 800 points before dying... but it got me Chief of Staff in less than an hour.

Mr.City

Crushed said:
In case any of you guys REALLY want to get the medic achievements fast...

...check out the MARIO_KART_CP servers. It'll fuck up your stats screen by giving your Medic about 800 points before dying... but it got me Chief of Staff in less than an hour.

Most points: 1263 (medic)
Most damage 537714 (spy)
Most health healed: 753198(medic)

Vlad

Icy said:
Let your friends know..

Free Team Fortress 2 Weekend

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1559

Definitely going to be checking that out this weekend. Finally tried the Half-Life 2 demo the other day, and while it wasn't really bad, I can't say I was blown away. I'm assuming that there's more to it than just using that gun to chuck stuff at zombies, though.

Keep in mind I haven't really followed anything Half-Life 2 related, but what's the situation with grenades in TF2? The only thing that really bugged me about TFC was dealing with the people using concussion grenades to cross the map in a single leap. Has that been toned down at all?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Vlad said:
Definitely going to be checking that out this weekend. Finally tried the Half-Life 2 demo the other day, and while it wasn't really bad, I can't say I was blown away. I'm assuming that there's more to it than just using that gun to chuck stuff at zombies, though.

Keep in mind I haven't really followed anything Half-Life 2 related, but what's the situation with grenades in TF2? The only thing that really bugged me about TFC was dealing with the people using concussion grenades to cross the map in a single leap. Has that been toned down at all?
Grenades are gone. Totally.

The only ones left are the Demoman's grenade launcher and sticky grenades.

Vlad

Crushed said:
Grenades are gone. Totally.

The only ones left are the Demoman's grenade launcher and sticky grenades.

I can deal with that just fine.

Oh, and I assume there's a way to just hop in the maps by yourself to get a feel for them? I always like at least getting a general feel for stuff before hopping online and screwing the rest of my team up.

Sciz

Some thoughts on Avanti:

1. No one outside of the GAF regulars seems to have a clue what they should be doing.
2. Medic unlocks weren't working. I'm not sure if it was just the map, or the whole server.
3. n0b makes for a dangerous combat engineer. Either that, or the opposing team was just plain awful, which I won't rule out.

n0b

Sciz said:
3. n0b makes for a dangerous combat engineer. Either that, or the opposing team was just plain awful, which I won't rule out.
Both. I play engineer like that anyway, but they made it especially easy. I've had regulars complain that I was as dangerous as a scout when I was playing combat engineer though.

Capndrake

Team Fortress 2 Update Released
May 2, 2008, 4:09 pm - Jason Ruymen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Fixed Kritzkrieg client crash in particle system

Fixed Milestone 2 and Milestone 3 achievements being given at the incorrect times

Fixed exploit where players could drop weapons onto the ground for other players to pickup
On my Steam achievements page it says I still have Milestone 3 so I might still have the Ubersaw. *checks*

And I'm glad they didn't change this because I really want to try it :lol

EDIT: Yup, still got the Ubersaw.

Sciz

Glad I hurried up and unlocked it earlier today.

But wait, they didn't nerf charging with the ubersaw while uber? That's the sort of thing that's typically too good to last.

Firestorm

I now have 10 achievements without whoring.

Quadruple Bypass
Heal a teammate who's taking fire from 4 enemies at once.

Group Health
Work with 2 other Medics to deploy 3 simultaneous ÜberCharges.

Surgical Prep
Have an ÜberCharge ready before the Setup phase ends.

Trauma Queen
Deploy 3 ÜberCharges in less than 5 minutes, and assist in 5 kills during that time.

Double Blind Trial
Deploy an ÜberCharge within 8 seconds of a nearby enemy Medic deploying his.

Triage
Deploy an ÜberCharge on a teammate less than a second before they're hit by a critical explosive.

Midwife Crisis
Heal an Engineer as he repairs his Sentrygun while it's under enemy fire.

Intern
Accumulate 7000 heal points in a single life.

Chief of Staff
Accumulate 1 million total heal points.

Family Practice
ÜberCharge ten of your Steam Community Friends.

2 more until the Bloodsucking thingy!

Vlad

Well, looks like the bug has bit once more. Meant to just load up one game by myself to try out the classes, which turned into "oh, I'll just hop online and try a game to see what it's like".

Two hours later, I realize I need to get some sleep and turn the game off. I'm now officially sold on The Orange Box.

And I didn't know the game had voice chat, either. That'll be a whole lot nicer than typing everything.

Alright I'm in.
Been a while since I've played shooters on a high level. heh, not since the ut99 / q3 days. Just played my first few hours of TF, and boy it's fun :lol.

Anyone got some links to read up on map specific tactics, class balance etc?

Icy

Banned
Sorry guys but I am reinstituting Class Limits, at least for this weekend.

Originally I had Medics limited to 3 cause of the patch.
But right now I'm playing Dustbowl and they have like 3-4 snipers on 1 team alone. RETARDED.

Also We were playing Avanti, and the blue team.. had 3 engineers building SGs in the spawn and turtling in it. NO one touched the Intelligence for like 28 minutes. I gave a warning about the turtling.. no one listened. So I kicked them. They came back bitching.. gave all 3 temp bans. If you were effected, don't be a fucktard. :)

Sciz

InsertCredit said:
Anyone got some links to read up on map specific tactics, class balance etc?
There are some good "how to play [class X]" videos up on Youtube. As for map tactics, the best way I've found to learn them is to just play with and against good teams.

1-D_FTW

firex

I think the best way to learn to play pyro is defending on dustbowl. That gets you used to ambushing, finding out multiple paths to go one way, and knowing how to pick your battles in close quarters. Playing pyro is kind of like playing spy in that you don't want the enemy to know you're there until it's too late, but you have to be a bit faster and sneakier since you don't have cloak/disguise.

I don't feel like contributing anything meaningful to the TF2 discussions at hand. But the other night I was playing the last point on Goldrush, and I was ubered (regular) right before we pushed the cart to the last point. You know how if you stand on the explosion site you die? Well, since I was ubered I just flew about 500 feet in the air. I can't say exactly, but it felt at least two or three times higher than I've ever gotten with a rocket or sticky jump. It was epic.

1-D_FTW

Anyone else having lockups/disconnects? Crashed to desktop and locked up and disconnected twice in 10 minutes. I've had neither occur in months. I did "upgrade" my Linksys router to Tomato firmware today and am wondering if I should just downgrade back to stock.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Hitokage said:
SenseiJinx: Did you see God?
df8y1w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom