• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
fallengorn said:
God damn it, TF2 is still freeze/crashing on me. what the fuuuuuuck!
Is it the freeze where you can look around but not shoot or move, and then afterwards it makes a noise like you just were drowning? If so, and as I said before, disabling avast each time I start the game has fixed that for me.

eznark said:
I'm having a ton of trouble getting my xbox 360 wireless head set to work with the PC adapter I picked up yesterday. When it is plugged in, I can get audio through the headset but not the speakers. When i'm just on the desktop I can get voice. However, when I am in TF2 voice does not work.

Any clue?
I know that TF2 won't recognize a new mic unless you restart the game. If you've done that, try restarting your computer. Or look at your mic's properties in Windows, and see if the boxes about giving applications "exclusive control" of the device are checked. I don't know if that actually will help, but mine are checked and it works, so *shrug*. Sorry I can't think of anything to help you further.

Sciz

A couple fun screenshots I took today:

MedivalManIII tumbles, in flames, into the black abyss.
nh1gzc.jpg

and eznark has mastered the art of bullet time.
ei9qfc.jpg

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
LouieGeetoo said:
Is it the freeze where you can look around but not shoot or move, and then afterwards it makes a noise like you just were drowning? If so, and as I said before, disabling avast each time I start the game has fixed that for me.
Oh, that's not what I'm experiencing. Everything just freezes with the sound looping, and sometimes it'll flashback to my desktop or the Valve logo. It's really weird. I just updated to the latest version of avast and played for 30 minutes so hopefully everythings okay now.

It might've been a paged pool memory issue, but I changed the alloted size and nothing changed.

Firestorm

fallengorn said:
Oh, that's not what I'm experiencing. Everything just freezes with the sound looping, and sometimes it'll flashback to my desktop or the Valve logo. It's really weird. I just updated to the latest version of avast and played for 30 minutes so hopefully everythings okay now.

Does it only happen when you start up? For some reason using the mouse to skip the beginning stuff always screwed it up for me. I have to hit spacebar or something on the keyboard.

fallengorn

Firestorm said:
Does it only happen when you start up? For some reason using the mouse to skip the beginning stuff always screwed it up for me. I have to hit spacebar or something on the keyboard.
Once or twice it froze up just as tf2 was loading, pretty rare occurrences. It's gotten down to 10-20 minutes of play. It used to happen anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour. I really hope upgrading to avast 4.8 did the trick.

fallengorn said:
Once or twice it froze up just as tf2 was loading, pretty rare occurrences. It's gotten down to 10-20 minutes of play. It used to happen anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour. I really hope upgrading to avast 4.8 did the trick.
If you do think avast is causing the problem, all you have to do is right-click the taskbar icon and say "Stop On-Access Protection" right before you start up the game, and then do the same to turn it back on when you're done playing. Quick and easy, and I do it every day. The only real risk of getting a virus this way is through automatic map downloads, but I'm not too worried about that.

On a slightly related note, just about every time I start up TF2, it loads normally and then suddenly decides to go minimizing-crazy. It acts like it's fighting with Windows for the screen, minimizing and maximizing itself like crazy until I do some deft Alt-Tabbing to right it. Anybody know what might be causing this? I suspect it's just some oddity with my graphics card or with Steam and Vista.

fallengorn

LouieGeetoo said:
If you do think avast is causing the problem, all you have to do is right-click the taskbar icon and say "Stop On-Access Protection" right before you start up the game, and then do the same to turn it back on when you're done playing. Quick and easy, and I do it every day. The only real risk of getting a virus this way is through automatic map downloads, but I'm not too worried about that.
I've tried it, and it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure it's a paged pool issue. maybe. I hope it is an avast issue, otherwise I have no clue why hl2.exe is being a bitch now.

Firestorm

LouieGeetoo said:

On a slightly related note, just about every time I start up TF2, it loads normally and then suddenly decides to go minimizing-crazy. It acts like it's fighting with Windows for the screen, minimizing and maximizing itself like crazy until I do some deft Alt-Tabbing to right it. Anybody know what might be causing this? I suspect it's just some oddity with my graphics card or with Steam and Vista.

That's actually the problem I was talking about. Do not click with the mouse to get through. Use keyboard.

You can disable the startup videos so that loading TF2 will go straight to the menu screen. Just right click on Team Fortress 2 in your games list, click on properties and then set launch options and add "-novid" to it. This works for all Valve games if I remember correctly.

CrookedRain said:
You can disable the startup videos so that loading TF2 will go straight to the menu screen. Just right click on Team Fortress 2 in your games list, click on properties and then set launch options and add "-novid" to it. This works for all Valve games if I remember correctly.
I actually had it like that for awhile when I was trying out various performance tweaks. It just felt wrong without the dramatic Valve sound and the little gust of wind, though. Gets me in the mood. :D

1-D_FTW

Firestorm said:

This happens fairly regularly when I have firefox open. I'm not sure it's ever happened to me when Firefox has been closed.

1-D_FTW

As a scout, do you wanna aim at the mid section of a person? What's gonna get you the most damage? I've been taken down so many times quickly (as soldier by scout), but on numerous times I've been standing still, 2 feet behind a sniper, and had to unload 4 shots without anyone moving to get a kill. Since there was no movement, it's impossible my aim was off.

P.S. As I was doing a google search to see if headshots gave you more damage, I came across the strategy of a scout suiciding during set-ups to give the engineer extra metal. Not a bad tactic and I would have never thought of it.

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:
As a scout, do you wanna aim at the mid section of a person? What's gonna get you the most damage? I've been taken down so many times quickly (as soldier by scout), but on numerous times I've been standing still, 2 feet behind a sniper, and had to unload 4 shots without anyone moving to get a kill. Since there was no movement, it's impossible my aim was off.

P.S. As I was doing a google search to see if headshots gave you more damage, I came across the strategy of a scout suiciding during set-ups to give the engineer extra metal. Not a bad tactic and I would have never thought of it.

Yeah, I love it when people mistakingly switch classes during the setup outside the spawn. When playing as an eng it saves a lot of running, especially in Dust. :lol

1-D_FTW

Slo said:
If you're that close, pull out the bat.

I may start doing that, but I wanted to just get some ideas about how effective weapons are with variables removed.

Javaman said:
Yeah, I love it when people mistakingly switch classes during the setup outside the spawn. When playing as an eng it saves a lot of running, especially in Dust. :lol

I've been playing mostly scout on SexConkers server, so if we're ever on the same team, just let me know where I should kill myself and I will.

So I was on Sexconkers yesterday and it was fun playing with some of you. I did notice something about signing up for a tournament. Can someone get me up to speed on it and is it too late to sign up?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Slo said:
If you're that close, pull out the bat.
Err, no, don't do that. The scattergun is ridiculously powerful at point blank range. Anybody besides a Soldier or Heavy will die in 2 shots. If you're not doing that then it's because you're missing. Yes, you should aim at the center of their torso to maximize the pellet impact. The whole skill of playing Scout is being precise with the scattergun - take your time between shots if necessary, you can't afford the time or the ammo to miss.

1-D_FTW said:
If I recall correctly, the only weapon that cares about what part of the body you're aiming at is the sniper rifle with its headshots. Otherwise, weapons do the same amount of damage to every part of the body, and the damage is lessened the further away the target is (except with critical hits, which are not affected by distance).

In the case of something like the Scattergun, though, aiming for the thickest part of the target's body might be best because of the nature of the gun's shells and how they burst in a number of directions at once. The more shells that actually hit the body, I assume, the more damage is done.

SleepingInsomniac said:
So I was on Sexconkers yesterday and it was fun playing with some of you. I did notice something about signing up for a tournament. Can someone get me up to speed on it and is it too late to sign up?
I don't think anybody really knows much about it. I don't, anyway. Since SexConker is actually banned from these forums, it's difficult for him to get a discussion started here.

1-D_FTW

Maybe I'm just so preconditioned to target the head, it's what I've been doing. I'll have to consciously start aiming at the midsection.

LouieGeetoo said:
I don't think anybody really knows much about it. I don't, anyway. Since SexConker is actually banned from these forums, it's difficult for him to get a discussion started here.

I see. Thanks. You were on yesterday right? I think I remember your name.

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:
I may start doing that, but I wanted to just get some ideas about how effective weapons are with variables removed.

I've been playing mostly scout on SexConkers server, so if we're ever on the same team, just let me know where I should kill myself and I will.

Awesome, LOL. The useful spots on offensive are CP3 and CP5 and on Defensive CP1, and CP5.

SleepingInsomniac said:
I see. Thanks. You were on yesterday right? I think I remember your name.
Yup! I was on every day this past week because I'm done with school but don't start work until this coming Monday. I won't be playing as much from now on, but I will still be playing.

1-D_FTW said:

As a rule of thumb, up close aim for a head shot. Far away aim for the body. I swear that headshots are in tf2, can't really prove it though. We could test this the next time we're on some server.

Xater

Maybe anyone here heard of this problem or can help me out...

Today I received my copy of the game from the UK and after installing it I started playing right away. Then I realized that the game is censored...WTF?

Capndrake

Xater said:
Maybe anyone here heard of this problem or can help me out...

Today I received my copy of the game from the UK and after installing it I started playing right away. Then I realized that the game is censored...WTF?
Switch your Steam language to something other than German, otherwise Steam assumes you live in Germany (Which you do) and censors the game. I live in the Netherlands but just use English.

Xater

Capndrake said:
Switch your Steam language to something other than German, otherwise Steam assumes you live in Germany (Which you do) and censors the game. I live in the Netherlands but just use English.

It is already in English.

fallengorn

I've figured out (I think) my firewall was f'ing with hl2.exe. So.. anyone have a recommendation for a free firewall that's not Comodo?

good lord i want to buy this game and join in on the fun. I've got a shitty GeForce 6100. I've seen some youtube videos of the game on a 6200 and it doesn't look horrible (the art helps). So...anyone else here have a weak card, and how does the game work/look for you? I've got enough RAM (1.5gigs) and everything else is in fine condition to play

aznpxdd

You're gonna have to lower your settings a lot to get playable framerates, as TF2 is a pretty fast paced game...high FPS helps a lot.

Lhadatt

fallengorn said:
I've figured out (I think) my firewall was f'ing with hl2.exe. So.. anyone have a recommendation for a free firewall that's not Comodo?
Windows firewall. Running a software-based firewall is a needless waste of resources.

And get a router if you don't have one. They'll effectively block everything that needs to be blocked. Don't run stupid applications on your computer that you'd need to monitor with a firewall; if you need to monitor them, they're not needed.

PhoenixDark said:
good lord i want to buy this game and join in on the fun. I've got a shitty GeForce 6100. I've seen some youtube videos of the game on a 6200 and it doesn't look horrible (the art helps). So...anyone else here have a weak card, and how does the game work/look for you? I've got enough RAM (1.5gigs) and everything else is in fine condition to play
Game'll look decent and play well on it. It's still Source.

Javaman

PhoenixDark said:

It runs pretty good on my x200 onboard video with the graphics set to minimal. Much better then HL2 and the expansions.

1-D_FTW

Nice to see SexConker finally moved the server. I think most people were just hoping for a central server, but non-west coasters aren't gonna complain about it being east.

fallengorn said:

Lhadatt said:
Windows firewall. Running a software-based firewall is a needless waste of resources.

And get a router if you don't have one. They'll effectively block everything that needs to be blocked. Don't run stupid applications on your computer that you'd need to monitor with a firewall; if you need to monitor them, they're not needed.

Yep. I've disabled Windows firewall and just run the router one. I pass this test just fine:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

Diablos

Played with you all yesterday, it was basically my first real attempt at TF2. I had fun. Started out pretty strong, then I was wayyyy at the bottom :lol

But it was a good time, looking forward to playing again.

YakiSOBA

the crit gun used properly is DEVASTATING... my friend and i went heavy/medic and kept charging a uber in the spawn rooms on goldrush (as demo/medic), switched to heavy, and easily got 4+ kills in a row each time, totally stopped blue team from getting anywhere near the capture point.

does anyone know if you can have 2 medics uber and 100% crit another player at the same time? that'd be siiiiiick!

undrtakr900

Javaman said:
PhoenixDark said:
It runs pretty good on my x200 onboard video with the graphics set to minimal. Much better then HL2 and the expansions.
Haha same here on my laptop surprised that card ran it at all, set your launch settings to "-dxlevel 80" to increase performance.

Also setting your "fps_max XX" in console can alleviate the insane framerate fluctuation of integrated cards by limiting your max fps.

YakiSOBA said:
the crit gun used properly is DEVASTATING... my friend and i went heavy/medic and kept charging a uber in the spawn rooms on goldrush (as demo/medic), switched to heavy, and easily got 4+ kills in a row each time, totally stopped blue team from getting anywhere near the capture point.

does anyone know if you can have 2 medics uber and 100% crit another player at the same time? that'd be siiiiiick!
On Gold Rush, if the blues are all sitting around the bomb, there's a lot of devastation a single Kritzkrieg'd soldier can cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom