• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1up

Man, it sucks that since Conker's server switched to east coast, all the people that had it on favorites lost the IP and thus the pubbers dont play on it anymore.

rakka

1up said:
Man, it sucks that since Conker's server switched to east coast, all the people that had it on favorites lost the IP and thus the pubbers dont play on it anymore.
not to mention my ping went from like 150 to 230 ;_;

YakiSOBA

whys the official gaf tf2 server always 0/24?

i think admins should make the server 24/7 following rotation:

gravel, dust, goldrush, goldrush, goldrush, gravel, dust, repeat. :D

Doytch

YakiSOBA said:
whys the official gaf tf2 server always 0/24?

i think admins should make the server 24/7 following rotation:

gravel, dust, goldrush, goldrush, goldrush, gravel, dust, repeat. :D

Cause it's private. Badlands is missing, too much Golrush, not enough Dustbowl.

1-D_FTW

And I didn't wanna complain in the last thread because I know a lot of gaffers like custom maps, but Warpath and Castle aren't very good either IMO. I always thought those were the 2 best customs, but after not playing either in months and going back and playing them again, I'm filled with a big meh.

Noticed a game broke out last night at 10:30 PM. I thought about joining, but then figured if I played for 2 hours, it'd be 2:00 AM before I wound down and was ready for sleep. I wasn't doing that for Warpath. So I just kept watching the New Orleans - San Antonio game.

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:
And I didn't wanna complain in the last thread because I know a lot of gaffers like custom maps, but Warpath and Castle aren't very good either IMO. I always thought those were the 2 best customs, but after not playing either in months and going back and playing them again, I'm filled with a big meh.
I agree. I'm hard-pressed to think of any custom maps that are any good. I think Desert Fortress is good but I don't know if I put enough time in on it, it's hard to find a server playing it.

Davidion

Cheeto said:
I agree. I'm hard-pressed to think of any custom maps that are any good. I think Desert Fortress is good but I don't know if I put enough time in on it, it's hard to find a server playing it.

I think Castle is great; having not loved the map initially, it's really grown on me. Warpath is...Warpath. :lol You love it or you hate it.

I think there are some good customs out there, though few if any have really the exposure AND the production quality to become popular. To think of a couple off of the top of my head, Corporation and Wolf are both rather enjoyable. I like Roswell too.

Twig

Banned
Castle is good.

Warpath sucks.

But all most people want to do is play Dustbowl 24/7, anyway, so what do I know.

At this point I'm willing to say I prefer 2fort to Dustbowl. 2fort.

Cheeto

I've got love for all the stock maps with the exception of Hydro. Hydro would be a lot better with a longer timer than 5 minutes.

2fort and Dustbowl are definitely the best of the best though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Davidion said:
I think Castle is great; having not loved the map initially, it's really grown on me. Warpath is...Warpath. :lol You love it or you hate it.

I think there are some good customs out there, though few if any have really the exposure AND the production quality to become popular. To think of a couple off of the top of my head, Corporation and Wolf are both rather enjoyable. I like Roswell too.

I have not played Wolf in ages. That is a really great map.

I'm surprised people hate Warpath. It's one of the best Team Fortress maps.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
Castle is good.

Warpath sucks.

But all most people want to do is play Dustbowl 24/7, anyway, so what do I know.

At this point I'm willing to say I prefer 2fort to Dustbowl. 2fort.

What we really need are just more well made attack-defend maps.

Does anyone remember Osaka from TFC? The map had a Japan theme, and the first cap point was on a boat. I wish that was remade.

Ysiadmihi said:
I have not played Wolf in ages. That is a really great map.

Warpath is great map in concept but the execution is such that the map ends in a dragged out stalemate on the last cap or the second-middle cap 95% of the time. The struggle gets old after a while.

I think it could use a conceptual overhaul for TF2; it really wasn't changed from TFC AT ALL.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Davidion said:
Warpath is great map in concept but the execution is such that the map ends in a dragged out stalemate on the last cap or the second-middle cap 95% of the time. The struggle gets old after a while.

I think it could use a conceptual overhaul for TF2; it really wasn't changed from TFC AT ALL.
That's why I always felt warpath wasn't that good. It really needs to be remade with TF2 gameplay in mind.

Twig

Banned
fallengorn said:
That's why I always felt warpath wasn't that good. It really needs to be remade with TF2 gameplay in mind.
Yes.

I like the Warpath concept, but its execution does not work with TF2.

fallout

Ysiadmihi said:
If you like playing TF2 as a game of Team Deathmatch, then yeah, it's probably pretty awesome. Killing people in TF2 just isn't all that fun to me when it doesn't really lead to winning (or at least, winning effectively).

firex

I like the Toy Fort custom map, even though I admit it's not up to Valve's standards for map design. It fits TF2's art style though.

Twig

Banned
There are lots of customs I like playing on every now and then. The quality isn't the best, but they make for a nice change in pace from the norm. Shame they empty servers so fast.

There are only a few customs I consider actually good, Castle being my personal favorite. Casbah, as well, is excellent.

Firestorm said:
warpath's my favourite custom. Each point you capture feels like such an achievement. Last point is usually a spy cap though.
Also easy as solider/demo if you go around the back.

I love customs like Royale, Roswell, etc., but I'm really over Badlands, Granary, and Well.

Doytch

Cheeto said:
Never understood the hate for Well...it's like Granary done right.

Well's not bad as a map. It's just that cp sucks in general(badlands overpowers the crap of cp_ though), and so does ctf.

fallout

Teknoman said:
Wow I need to get back into TF2, those GAF game days still happening on the new official server?
Generally, if you call for them ... they will come. Doesn't work as well on the private server, but it does work. On SexConker's server for example, if you get like, 4-6 people in there, I guarantee that it'll fill up in about 20 minutes at any time of day. With the Official GAF server, people have to see it here, or more likely, through the Steam friends list.

Cheeto

How big do Source's demo files end up being? Maybe it's possible to automatically record demo files from the autoexec.cfg whenever you start TF2.

1-D_FTW

Feel better about sucking the last couple days. Since my ping has spiked 30-40, I did a line quality test with DSL reports. I'm getting 3 trouble spots on the east coast test (2 spots in Georgia with 25 percent loss on Comcast's backbone system.) The west coast is even more grizzly: (5 comcast trouble spots of 25, 42 (also Georgia), 45, 52 and 65 percent packet loss.) That's some awesome fucking service.

My days of loving pyros rushing me have definitely ended.

YakiSOBA

i started playing pyro more... i think i'm getting hooked on the class... it's unbelievably fun! i was surprised at how fast you can kill someone if you stand right next to them, anyone but the heavy will die in like an instant as long as u stick to them... or finish them with 1 shot from your shotgun... so fun :D

Twig

Banned
The jump from the lowest settings possible at a wobbly ~30fps to the highest settings possible at a steady 59-60fps is bigger than I expected.

Holy shit, new computer. <3

zoku88

Capndrake said:
Goldrush? It was only the single biggest update since the game was released >_>
It shows you how much I've played recently D: I would play more now, but... finals... T_T

Anyway, I liked it >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom