• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Medics lasted, what, a week or two, before it calmed down?

You're overreacting.

Now I'll finally try and get some medic achievement as I run around healing all the damn pyros.

TheOneGuy said:
Medics lasted, what, a week or two, before it calmed down?

You're overreacting.
Within 2 days I was easily able to find a server with no medics. Within a week it was back to normal on my favourite servers.

Everyone either hacked or used achievement_box.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
IMO they should have the Achievements only change things on your character cosmetically like new type of skins or something. Weapons should be attained by either playing with the class for a certain amount of time for each weapon. That would be a great way to do it that way once the new achievements come out you wont see everyone just playing that class in a ways that don't make sense for the weapons.

Few questions -

I've been pretty busy with school and what not, I still read GAF but I stopped playing games... I know about the medic update, and how guns are unlocked with achievements (is this right?). Judging by the last couple of posts, the overflow of medics has shot down pretty quickly, but am I gimped if I want to play as a medic and I don't have anyone of the new weapons? I play mainly medic, but will it suck that I don't have any of the new stuff?

Short version:

Is the game balanced with the new medic update?

Thanks to anyone who responds

Davidion

apocalidiot said:
Few questions -

I've been pretty busy with school and what not, I still read GAF but I stopped playing games... I know about the medic update, and how guns are unlocked with achievements (is this right?). Judging by the last couple of posts, the overflow of medics has shot down pretty quickly, but am I gimped if I want to play as a medic and I don't have anyone of the new weapons? I play mainly medic, but will it suck that I don't have any of the new stuff?

Short version:

Still balanced. Play on.

Twig

Banned
apocalidiot said:
Few questions -

Short version:

Yes, the game is still balanced. Two of the unlocked weapons are pretty much definite upgrades (at least, in my opinion), but you are not useless without them. Far from it, in fact.

Whether or not that will be the same with OTHER classes, whose primary functions are not healing, remains to be seen.

zoku88

JudgeN said:
So yea stupid question but what are the popular GAF servers? I got icy's wondering if there is anything else.
I don't think anyone really plays on that one anymore...

There's an official server which you can see on the top of the matchup forum page.

firex

Elbrain said:
IMO they should have the Achievements only change things on your character cosmetically like new type of skins or something. Weapons should be attained by either playing with the class for a certain amount of time for each weapon. That would be a great way to do it that way once the new achievements come out you wont see everyone just playing that class in a ways that don't make sense for the weapons.
once again, I feel like it will be easier to make achievements that make sense for a pure offensive class like pyro. Instead of stuff that is really annoying/not related to their main job (i.e. needling 50 scouts or killing some people with a full uber but not using it) they can just make stuff like "get x amount of assists" or "burn x amount of people in y amount of time and live", and a good spy checking one, and so on.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
firex said:
once again, I feel like it will be easier to make achievements that make sense for a pure offensive class like pyro. Instead of stuff that is really annoying/not related to their main job (i.e. needling 50 scouts or killing some people with a full uber but not using it) they can just make stuff like "get x amount of assists" or "burn x amount of people in y amount of time and live", and a good spy checking one, and so on.

If they do that then yes I would agree with you, there are some decent medic ones but mane they have a few that are completely stupid to get.

firex

Medic was a mixed bag because I don't like their achievements that much either. Too many silly situational ones and all that. But the other classes are a lot more straight-up and that leads to easier achievements to make.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
firex said:
Medic was a mixed bag because I don't like their achievements that much either. Too many silly situational ones and all that. But the other classes are a lot more straight-up and that leads to easier achievements to make.

Hopefully they wont have a retarded achievement in where you have to have all the other team burning within in a time frame. That would basically make me stop playing the game.

rakka

Elbrain said:
Hopefully they wont have a retarded achievement in where you have to have all the other team burning within in a time frame. That would basically make me stop playing the game.
they won't, and in the case that they do, it will only require you to do so on a team of at least 6 players or something

Just had a great match in a public server, and i totally changed the game around (not for the first time as well)

Second part of part 2 of Dustbowl, the whole attacking team was pushed back all the way to the spawn point, I was medic at that time and i played decently helping the team reach the first 3 points generally. Anyways, only 2 minutes left and the whole team felt like they weren't trying at all, so i changed class to spy and snuck my way into the enemy base. I waited until the last 30 seconds to make my move (making sure about the respawn/deaths of the enemies). I solo'd the last point with no defence in sight, and everyone lol'd at my feat.

From the point on, we had the motivation to win the rest of the game. Hehe, revived the whole team from almost brink of death.

1-D_FTW

Dustbowl is famous for that. If the other team is vastly superior, pray they spawn camp. You go from having zero chance of capturing to very easy captures.

JudgeN said:
So yea stupid question but what are the popular GAF servers? I got icy's wondering if there is anything else.
Mostly Conker's server ("Love Me Sexy"): 69.90.34.11:27015
And sometimes the official GAF server: 8.9.8.54:27015 (password: believe)

Avoid Icy's server. It has no Valve Anti-Cheat protection, so it's filled with hackers that are otherwise banned from all protected servers.

SyNapSe

rakka said:
they are not impossible. my total medic playtime is only 10 hours (so, 5-8 days in your case?), and i have about half of the 39 achievements.

Yes, a good portion of the achievements would never be achieved even at 100's of hours of real play. You can blow through 10-15 achievements easy, but some of the others are just downright random or bizarre. I've still never ubered someone within one second of being crit. HW punching two people while he is uber'd, ok if you have a friend this is technically easy but it has nothing to do with the game.. no-one would ever do that. Scout getting 5 kills, hw 20 kills without dying (possible w/ a friend but still crazy)
I haven't got the demo 5 destructions yet, it's a bit far fetched but at least reasonable within the frame of the medic job. Bonesawing medics, it's a lot but doable. Needling scouts? lolworthy. Without "farming" a lot of these, people wouldn't get them. I guess we'll see with the Pyro achievements.

To the person who asked about whether they would be a crap medic without the upgrades don't worry. You can get the first upgrade in one day. The second "upgrade" is more a sidegrade its situational and demands a bit more teamwork. The third upgrade is much like the first nice but not really a big deal. They definately didn't give anything like 50% faster ubers on medigun.

rakka

SyNapSe said:
I've still never ubered someone within one second of being crit.
have your uber ready, when you come across an enemy demo crit sticky (which won't take long), activate then run onto it, more often then not they'll react and detonate

crit rockets aren't too rare either

VaLiancY

Triage was a big fluke, and Quadruple Bypass was too. I turned on the Uber on my Heavy and two achievements popped up. I was like "What the fuck was that?...Oh that's nice."

SyNapSe

No Means Nomad said:
Umm no. Achievement box isn't really around anymore.

I meant legitmately. I got 7 or 8 in 30 mins on a 32 person warpath server. I went in just to hang at the back and get the 7k/10k healing in a life done, but I ended up getting deploy an uber within 8 secs over another medic. Deploy 3 ubers in 5 mins w/ 5 kills, my team had control of the middle and I just kept out there healing people who came out of the tunnel. Then when I'd get uber I'd charge in but pull back out a few seconds before losing it. I got work with 2 other meds to deploy 3 ubers accidentally. That might be harder because it was one of the first days and probably 40% of the teams were meds
I got up to 14k healing and died, and a bit later I got the engie one for healing him while he was whacking his sentry.

I also got the heal a guy taking fire from 4 people (easy w/ ubers at chokepoints) and the pyro one (no organization just got lucky it happened). Anyone with a friends list can pick up 2 of those in no time.

I got the first weapon, blutsaugher really quick but after that I got stuck. It took me acouple of weeks to get the putting people on fire out, and healing 200 after calling for medic. I got a few random one's like killing the spy I had been healing along the way but they get a lot more random. I'm not sure how anyone could get the final weapon without having people setup the situations to help.

1-D_FTW

Kind of wish I'd farmed some of the more bizzare medic achievements. Cause of my crappy ping, I was playing a couple hours of medic today and picked up 7 of them. Would have been nice to have the good gun during that time.

aznpxdd

Some Pyro update news.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53041

image-o-matic.x235.jpeg

Two pyros and a medic now will be a real pain in the ass. One sets on fire with a medic, the other runs about with an axe finishing off with crits. Getting healed when required. It's probably going to be smarter to target the bloody pyros before the medic now.

I'm looking forward to it, shame I've already got the autoclave medic achievement.

One of the new weapons, dubbed the Axtinguisher, does about half the damage as the standard axe but will guarantee a critical hit when striking enemies set ablaze by the Pyro's flamethrower. The update included concept art of this new weapon.

First the medic gets a crit gun and now this. I wish these new weapons were focused on something other than this fucking random, skillless bullshit feature valve thinks is so awesome.

Besides it being worthless considering how frequently crits are doled out with melee weapons as it is, the weapons should reflect the class more.

Won

Confidence Man said:
First the medic gets a crit gun and now this. I wish these new weapons were focused on something other than this fucking random, skillless bullshit feature valve thinks is so awesome.

But with these new weapons they are removing the random, skillless bullshit of the feature.
Kritzkrieg for 100% crit chance, Syringe Gun without any crits at all and now this.

Twig

Banned
What Won said.

You complain about the crits being random, so they make them... not random... and... it's still random?

I AM CONFUSED.

Won said:
But with these new weapons they are removing the random, skillless bullshit of the feature.
Kritzkrieg for 100% crit chance, Syringe Gun without any crits at all and now this.

Crits are bullshit no matter what, bottom line the more crits that are flying around the worse off the game will be. It's bad enough as it is with them being mostly random, I don't want more of this insta-kill shit in the game and I certainly don't want any more ways for people to be guaranteed to get them.

Not to mention this new axe has nothing to do with the pyro's role in the same way the Kritzkrieg has nothing to do with the medic's role. Why can't they be a little more creative? How about a fire extinguisher, or a new flamethrower that burns twice as long or one where the flame will spread from player to player if they get too close? Of all the new weapons one can come up with for a pyro, they come up with one that just guarantees a crit?

VaLiancY

It isn't that bad. If a Invulnerable Uber Pyro comes down spewing his flamethrower, he's reducing his effectiveness for humor kills instead of pushing back the enemy. How you apply the weapons will be the true challenge, some people tend to crit-uber a soldier for damage dealing and then send an invul-uber for suppression and pusback. That's why I like the idea of unlocks because it adds more depth and strategy to Payload maps and the regular maps.

Won

Confidence Man said:
Crits are bullshit no matter what, bottom line the more crits that are flying around the worse off the game will be. It's bad enough as it is with them being mostly random, I don't want more of this insta-kill shit in the game and I certainly don't want any more ways for people to be guaranteed to get them.

Not to mention this new axe has nothing to do with the pyro's role in the same way the Kritzkrieg has nothing to do with the medic's role. Why can't they be a little more creative? How about a fire extinguisher, or a new flamethrower that burns twice as long or one where the flame will spread from player to player if they get too close? Of all the new weapons one can come up with for a pyro, they come up with one that just guarantees a crit?

Liking crits or hating them is up to you. I don't have a problem with crits and the Kritzkrieg showed with its suckness that crits are more of a none issue then some "people" want us to believe.

To the seceond paragraph: We are talking about the axe here. All your suggestions are about the flamethrower, we don't even know what the new flamethrower does. :p
An Valve has the clear goal to mix the gameplay up and not doing more of the same.

1-D_FTW

I like this move because it lets the pyro finally excel at what he should be: ultimate melee fighter. Ambush somebody quickly, light them on fire, and immediately switch to axe. Pyro should be able to get quick ambush skills against anybody. Skilled pyros should be rewarded.

Won said:
Liking crits or hating them is up to you. I don't have a problem with crits and the Kritzkrieg showed with its suckness that crits are more of a none issue then some "people" want us to believe.

To the seceond paragraph: We are talking about the axe here. All your suggestions are about the flamethrower, we don't even know what the new flamethrower does. :p
An Valve has the clear goal to mix the gameplay up and not doing more of the same.

They need to nerf spies too :p

firex

I'm wondering what they mean by "significant" changes to the pyro class regardless of unlocked weapons... faster movement speed? (putting it into its own class between scout and the majority of other classes that are the same speed)
normalizing the flamethrower's damage so it's higher at longer range but lower point blank?

Complain all you want about crits. Valve has all the stats to cross-check with all of this chatter. They'll adjust accordingly, of course.

Confidence Man said:

This is specially ironic considering you play on 32 people servers :p. I went in there and killed at least 5 people with one crit. The packed maps are just terrible when it comes it crits-- they're almost impossible to dodge.

Twig

Banned
If crits were taken out, it would completely throw off the balance of the game. Completely. It wouldn't even be the same game.

32-man servers are fun for just-for-fun. Especially Team Roomba. O:

krzyspc

Banned
Crits are a must have in this game, and Vavle said the better you play the higher the chance you have of pulling the off and I would wager I am better then most you.

32 man isn't competitively broken.

Good people still rise to the top of the scoreboard and the better team always still wins. I can't think of a single map that's worse because it has more players on it.

firex

I don't like goldrush on 32 player maps. too easy for red to stack up tons upon tons of players on their defense. But that just means it takes longer for a better blu team to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom