• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliddo

There's the new shotgun in the video:
newshotty.jpg

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Gotta be a flare gun, I'm guessing it'll be like a mid-range flame bomb to set people on fire, but with no direct damage.

1-D_FTW

Nice. My pings are back today (fingers crossed) and CircleX's new server took me from 120 pings into the 40s. It's like they knew Pyro Thursday was coming up:)

Speculation based on the leaked achievements and the image datamined from Steampowered.com mentioning a "tweak to the ol' flamethrower" suggests that the flamethrower will now destroy incoming explosives such as rockets and grenades.

Aegus

Giganticus said:
Speculation based on the leaked achievements and the image datamined from Steampowered.com mentioning a "tweak to the ol' flamethrower" suggests that the flamethrower will now destroy incoming explosives such as rockets and grenades.

I bet we still get the explosive damage though! :lol

Capndrake

Oh shit, there it is!

CP_FASTLANE

created by Arttu "skdr" Mäki

A control point map with five points, in the style of Badlands. Its symmetrical layout provides for high-speed and well balanced gameplay, while the multiple indoor routes, connected to larger outdoor arenas, provide a wide set of interesting and varied combat spaces. The arena-style control points require solid teamwork to capture and hold.

CTF_TURBINE

created by Bill Johnston

A CTF map inside a large industrial compound. It's clean and straightforward, making it easy to learn, but its well balanced layout ensures there are still a wide variety of strategic choices for teams to make, and for individual classes to shine. Competitive teams and players have already popularized this one.

pic_flaregun.jpg

The first Pyro unlockable is The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It’s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.

pic_backburner.jpg

The second Pyro unlockable is The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it’s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.

pic_ax.jpg

The third Pyro unlockable is The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that’s currently on fire, although it’s significantly weaker against enemies who aren’t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting.

Also, Pyro now overpowered confirmed:

In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

http://www.steampowered.com/pyro/?pw=presspreview

Bliddo

Can't wait to try the flamethrower now.
I don't think it's overpowered now, just more competitive.. I played a lot as a pyro, and sometimes it felt like a week matchstick against the stronger classes, considering that it's an attack class.
Still, better try it before jumping to conclusions.

Capndrake said:
Oh shit, there it is!

In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

I like the idea...but , wtf!? Another soldier nerf, well playing Pyro just got all the more fun.

1-D_FTW

Capndrake said:
Oh shit, there it is!

CP_FASTLANE

created by Arttu "skdr" Mäki

A control point map with five points, in the style of Badlands. Its symmetrical layout provides for high-speed and well balanced gameplay, while the multiple indoor routes, connected to larger outdoor arenas, provide a wide set of interesting and varied combat spaces. The arena-style control points require solid teamwork to capture and hold.

CTF_TURBINE

created by Bill Johnston

A CTF map inside a large industrial compound. It's clean and straightforward, making it easy to learn, but its well balanced layout ensures there are still a wide variety of strategic choices for teams to make, and for individual classes to shine. Competitive teams and players have already popularized this one.

pic_flaregun.jpg

The first Pyro unlockable is The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It’s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.

pic_backburner.jpg

The second Pyro unlockable is The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it’s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.

pic_ax.jpg

The third Pyro unlockable is The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that’s currently on fire, although it’s significantly weaker against enemies who aren’t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting.

Holy ****! Pyro's gonna be a beast. That second upgrade addresses why I quit playing pyro. I always felt there was zero reward for being a skilled ambusher.

Although let's face it, this only highlights why Valve should have did all the classes at once. Pyro is hella overpowered with all these new additions. It's not even debatable. He's got all these cool and lethal toys, and everyone else is stuck with old, nerfed stuff. Soldier, especially, now he has no defenses for onrushing pyros. He's got a miserable 4 rockets in his clips, runs like he has cement on his feet, and he can't pop up a rushing pyro to retreat? Is any soldier not gonna switch to Pyro class until soldier is updated?

Turbine's a good map. When I was speculating maps, Mach and Turbine were the two I was thinking of (just couldn't remember Turbine's name. New it was named for the middle room's features, just couldn't remember it.)

EDIT: Duh. I was reading backburner wrong. Initially read it as Backburner disabled compression when firing weapon. Shows I've never gotten any medic upgrades. Cause it'll obviously be disabled at all times. So a pyro will have access to decent upgrade abilities or, if he's a hack and sucks at Pyro, can continue to play his awful ways and have newb capabilities to allow him to survive in situations he shouldn't. Valve addresses their entire userbase:)

Even if a pyro is really good, he can still get popped in the face by a rocket from close range. His Air burst will need good timing, you wont just be able to hold it down. Therefore a Soldier can still do the "shoot at my own feet" or at least shoot point blank - this already kills a lot of pyros, it will continue to do so.

To be honest, I feel most sorry for the spy. A pyro chasing you with the new crit flamethrower is gonna suck. You'll be rocked by spycheckers even worse than before, as they can now punt you away before you get to sap, or alternatively punt away incoming rockets and grenades at the sapped sentry to keep it alive long enough to be repaired. Pyros will spycheck from afar now with the flare gun, whereas avoiding them was your only option. Tight areas and chokepoints which were difficult to get through as it was without dying are going to be even worse with deflected grenades and rockets coming back through them. And this is before you consider the fact that there's the plain and simple achievement whoring that's gonna make EVERY pyro spycheck now.

EDIT: the backburner is Valve's way of rewarding playing the Pyro like it was originally meant to be played I think. More hp than a soldier and guaranteed crit ambushes? Nice.

1-D_FTW

Giganticus said:
Even if a pyro is really good, he can still get popped in the face by a rocket from close range. His Air burst will need good timing, you wont just be able to hold it down. Therefore a Soldier can still do the "shoot at my own feet" or at least shoot point blank - this already kills a lot of pyros, it will continue to do so.

To be honest, I feel most sorry for the spy. A pyro chasing you with the new crit flamethrower is gonna suck. You'll be rocked by spycheckers even worse than before, as they can now punt you away before you get to sap, or alternatively punt away incoming rockets and grenades at the sapped sentry to keep it alive long enough to be repaired. Pyros will spycheck from afar now with the flare gun, whereas before simply avoiding them did wonders. Tight areas and chokepoints which were difficult to get through as it was without dying are going to be even worse with deflected grenades and rockets coming back through them. And this is before you consider the fact that there's the plain and simple achievement whoring that's gonna make EVERY pyro spycheck now.

For a defense map like Dustbowl 2, ubered Heavies will be the only way to kill tuff sentries. I know I'll mostly use backburner, but that's a situation where newb abilities are to be skillfully exploited (to a game breaking degree IMO.)

EDIT: On second thought, I'm sure Valve has given it a short burst and then a reload time of the rocket. Right? Valve is smart enough to do that, right? Cause being able to hold down a "win" button and hold off 3 ubered Demoman and Soldiers from killing a sentry would break the game completely.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
1-D_FTW said:
For a defense map like Dustbowl 2, ubered Heavies will be the only way to kill tuff sentries. I know I'll mostly use backburner, but that's a situation where newb abilities are to be skillfully exploited (to a game breaking degree IMO.)

EDIT: On second thought, I'm sure Valve has given it a short burst and then a reload time of the rocket. Right? Valve is smart enough to do that, right? Cause being able to hold down a "win" button and hold off 3 ubered Demoman and Soldiers from killing a sentry would break the game completely.
There's no doubt that there's going to be a "refractory period" for the compression bursts.

Doytch

Holy shit, I'm so game. Pyro is gonna be aweeeesome :D

Though I don't think I'm gonna use the Flare Gun a lot. Unless it's really strong or something.

And what's with the "Kill an enemy with your taunt" achievement?

Aegus

This update, for people who already whoop ass at playing Pyro, is like being told by God (Valve) that you have free reign to kill everyone.

PatzCU

Wow, pushback on the flamethrower? It will be interesting to see how much 'ammo' that uses. Maybe like 25 per push? Also - they should make the pushback put the fire out. Pyros are going to be so OP. Imagine 2 pyros at the top of granary point C just puffing air, launching people off the tower.

EDIT: And if I'm understanding this correctly, the backburner is basically the weapon pyros have now, except it gives them 50 more health and 100% crit when attacking from behind? Nice....

Aegus

PatzCU said:
Wow, pushback on the flamethrower? It will be interesting to see how much 'ammo' that uses. Maybe like 25 per push? Also - they should make the pushback put the fire out. Pyros are going to be so OP. Imagine 2 pyros at the top of granary point C just puffing air, launching people off the tower.

Imagine two ubered pyros, one with the ax and the other with a backburner. Especially on defence on cp maps.

PatzCU

Aegus said:
Imagine two ubered pyros, one with the ax and the other with a backburner. Especially on defence on cp maps.

Thursday is going to be a hilarious day to play TF2. When they released the medic achievements, it was just totally lame with everyone playing as medic. But everyone playing pyro? :lol I'll be there... with a pyro.

Twig

Banned
So uh. Who wants to play tonight? O:

GAF server or Love Me Sexy, I don't particularly care. I get home in about four hours and I wanna play me some TF2! Probably won't have any trouble finding a game TOMORROW night but tonight is not tomorrow!

plik

TheOneGuy said:

GAF server or Love Me Sexy, I don't particularly care. I get home in about four hours and I wanna play me some TF2! Probably won't have any trouble finding a game TOMORROW night but tonight is not tomorrow!

anyone have the IP's for the servers mentioned above? i think i have the GAF one on my favorites, but not "love me sexy"

thanks

I wonder... will you have to hold down the alt-fire for a strong pyro air blast? I mean, kind of like the stickies for demoman. We'll see tomorrow.

Oreoleo

TheOneGuy said:

I'm down. All this Pyro update talk has got me itching for some GAF TF2 sexy time!

Edit: You are Twig right?

Javaman

Count me in too. I finally upgraded my onboard ATI x200 to a 7600GT and can see the pyro's ooze of death in all it's shiny glory. :lol

What would be the best class to counter the hordes of pyros tomarrow? Heavy?

1-D_FTW

Javaman said:
Count me in too. I finally upgraded my onboard ATI x200 to a 7600GT and can see the pyro's ooze of death in all it's shiny glory. :lol

What would be the best class to counter the hordes of pyros tomarrow? Heavy?

Wouldn't engineer be a great class? I doubt there's gonna be a whole lot of medics.

That said, I need some medic achievements, so I'll medic your heavy if we're not farming. At least to see if it's even remotely possible to get the 20 kills.

quick question guys. my boss is allowing us to play tf2 during work. but the only catch is we can only play lan. we can't play outside our network for security purposes. my question is, is there lan option, or do we have to create our own private server? there's only 12 of us that play, so how about bots?
thanks in advance!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom