• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Confidence Man said:
A solution would be to correlate the damage and explosive radius to the amount of time a sticky is left undetonated, so a quickly fired and detonated-in-the-air sticky would do little damage, and each second it sits on a surface it gains a little more power until after maybe five seconds it reaches it's full power (i.e. where it is now).

Five seconds? Are you serious? : /

I'm all for nerfing the stickies a bit if people are going to bawl about it, but a five second charge up is a pretty ridiculous idea.

Won

ice cream said:
It seems like they're doing in the order of least played, so I doubt demomman will be next.

http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Valve seems to look what is broken and needs a change. Medic was just uninteresting, and Pyro needed a buff. Demoman isn't really working as intended, so I expect it in one of the next 2 updates. Maybe Scout first.

(btw. interesting Goldrush stats, Blu has a very hard time it seems.)

Twig

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:

I'm all for nerfing the stickies a bit if people are going to bawl about it, but a five second charge up is a pretty ridiculous idea.
Five seconds is pretty long.

Personally, I die to floored stickies WAY more than I die to airborn stickies, so I don't see people's problems with that. Pipe bombs are much more effective, if you can hit people with them.

I always thought the explosive range should be a little smaller. After all, you can already make it ridiculously large by just putting two or three in a small area. Oh, the number of times I thought I was far enough away from a sticky only to blow up and discover oops no I'm not!

Meh.

Twig

Banned
Won said:
http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Valve seems to look what is broken and needs a change. Medic was just uninteresting, and Pyro needed a buff. Demoman isn't really working as intended, so I expect it in one of the next 2 updates. Maybe Scout first.

(btw. interesting Goldrush stats, Blu has a very hard time it seems.)
I think more interesting is the achievement stats. Only 5.4% of players have even the SECOND weapon unlocked for medics? 2% have the last?

Either the achievements were too much trouble (entirely possible) or it didn't convince enough people to play medic (entirely possible) or both (entirely possible).

Ysiadmihi said:

It doesn't have to be five, but having to let them cook for a few seconds to get full damage doesn't sound like a bad idea. Demo is my most played class, and tbh I could use a little nerf.

And HOLY SHIT at that % of attacks critical chart. Shows clearly how broken melee is.

Cheeto

ice cream said:
From SA forums:

I very much agree with this and quite a few of us think stickies should only detonate when they're on surfaces.
crysomemoresavvy.jpg

Won

TheOneGuy said:
I think more interesting is the achievement stats. Only 5.4% of players have even the SECOND weapon unlocked for medics? 2% have the last?

Either the achievements were too much trouble (entirely possible) or it didn't convince enough people to play medic (entirely possible) or both (entirely possible).

To be fair. Even the easy standard achievments are only at 40%. I mean only 1/3 of the player base won 20 games or more?.....yeah

Confidence Man said:
And HOLY SHIT at that % of attacks critical chart. Shows clearly how broken melee is.

crysomemoresavvy.jpg

Twig

Banned
Yeah, true enough. Still, that only 2% of the playerbase has the ubersaw is pretty redonkulous. O:
Confidence Man said:
I guess that's true if you believe crits are broken.

firex

haha, I like the knife damage listed on that stats chart. either it's somehow gone so far forward that it's coming all the way back around, or however they grab their stats has some weird way of calculating backstabs.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, true enough. Still, that only 2% of the playerbase has the ubersaw is pretty redonkulous. O:

I guess that's true if you believe crits are broken.

You're twice as likely to get a crit with a melee weapon. You don't think that's messed up?

Twig

Banned
Confidence Man said:
You're twice as likely to get a crit with a melee weapon. You don't think that's messed up?
It's also harder to HIT with a melee weapon.

Personally, I think it's a fair tradeoff. The rest of the stats show that (knife aside, dunno, what the fuck's up with the knife stats) people take much less damage from melee weapons than from everything else.

I mean, compare these two graphs:
damagedealtofalldamage.png

ofattackscritical.png

Does it honestly bother you that much?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's pretty sad that you can pull out a melee weapon and almost be guaranteed to get a crit (and kill many classes in one hit)...that said...anyone with a gun out still has the advantage. Run bitch, run!

TheOneGuy said:
It's also harder to HIT with a melee weapon.

Personally, I think it's a fair tradeoff. The rest of the stats show that (knife aside, dunno, what the fuck's up with the knife stats) people take much less damage from melee weapons than from everything else.

I mean, compare these two graphs:

Does it honestly bother you that much?

The first chart highlights how much less people use melee vs. regular weapons, which should mean fewer critical hits overall, but the second shows how out of whack it actually is.

And yeah, it bothers me. >:O

Twig

Banned
Confidence Man said:
The first chart highlights how much less people use melee vs. regular weapons, which should mean fewer critical hits overall, but the second shows how out of whack it actually is.
Actually, the first chart's data is (almost) mutually exclusive from the second chart's data. The only thing the second chart says is the percent of attacks WITH THAT WEAPON that are crits.

So, the wrench has an almost 20% chance of critting. But, as the first chart shows, it's responsible for less than 1% total damage among ALL the weapons. (Assuming that knife stat isn't fucking it up in some huge way, but it shouldn't be.)
And yeah, it bothers me. >:O
Well, YOU CRAZY, FOO'.

TheOneGuy said:
Actually, the first chart's data is (almost) mutually exclusive from the second chart's data. The only thing the second chart says is the percent of attacks WITH THAT WEAPON that are crits.

So, the wrench has an almost 20% chance of critting. But, as the first chart shows, it's responsible for less than 1% total damage among ALL the weapons. (Assuming that knife stat isn't fucking it up in some huge way, but it shouldn't be.)

Well, YOU CRAZY, FOO'.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Seeing as the wrench or other melee weapons are used very rarely in comarison (based on the first chart), it would stand to reason that crits would occur more rarely with those weapons rather than twice as often.

Davidion

omgimaninja said:
People have already called dibs on sniping, bombing, stabbing, sentry gunning, and batting Twig. So can I heal Twig??

No, you should heal the rest of us while we shoot/stab/snipe/punch/bat/wrench/saw/axe/burn/blow up Twig.

Twig

Banned
Why does everyone want to kill me? ):
Confidence Man said:
I'm not sure what you mean.

Seeing as the wrench or other melee weapons are used very rarely in comarison (based on the first chart), it would stand to reason that crits would occur more rarely with those weapons rather than twice as often.
I mean, the wrench has a higher crit rate than any other weapon. I don't think how much it's used makes any difference.

In other words, if those stats are at all indicative of how the crit rates actually work for those weapons, the wrench will ALWAYS have an almost 20% chance to crit, no matter how many times it's used. Whether it's used 5 times or 5,000,000.

In other words... The second chart shows all the weapons individually. Each line in that chart is mutually exclusive from the next line. The wrench crit rate is separate from the bottle crite rate, etc. If you add up all of the percentages in the second chart, it's over 100.

jaask

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

* Added 2 community maps: cp_fastlane and ctf_turbine

Pyro

* Added alt-fire compression blast to the basic flamethrower
* Added The Axtinguisher, The Backburner, and The Flare Gun
* Hadouken taunt now kills people it hits
* Tuned the flamethrower hit detection to improve detection versus retreating opponents
* Removed Flamethrower's damage falloff (was falling off to 25% by the end)

cp_well

* Added a route from the forward central foyer up to the battlements
* Redistributed health and ammunition throughout the bases

ctf_well

* Added a route from the forward central foyer up to the battlements
* Removed central building, reduced overall map length
* Redistributed health and ammunition throughout the bases

Other Notes

* Removed Soldier's 40% damage reduction from his own rockets. Does not affect rocket jumps
* In-game avatar images will now have a badge around them if the player is your friend
* Fixed bug that allowed players to move around in a reference pose
* Added custom death icons for unlockable weapons
* The player join team message now specifies whether the player used the auto team option
* Payload maps now support four control points per stage
* Achievement dialog will stay open when you're moving in & out of the game and the main menu
* Added full Russian localization, with both fonts & speech
* Returned the "Report a Bug" option to the main menu

Javaman

jaask said:
* Added alt-fire compression blast to the basic flamethrower
* Added The Axtinguisher, The Backburner, and The Flare Gun
* Hadouken taunt now kills people it hits
* Tuned the flamethrower hit detection to improve detection versus retreating opponents
* Removed Flamethrower's damage falloff (was falling off to 25% by the end)
This might actually make the Pyro more highping friendly!

Confidence Man said:
Not at all, they're that high for balance reasons. Ie if you let someone get within melee range of you then you're in trouble since there's always the risk of them letting out a crit. I'm sure you'll still hate it since its mildly random.

The soldier nerf is not a big deal, it's best not to use rockets at close range anyways.

1-D_FTW

Are all servers buggy, or just Love me Sexy?

And please nobody kill me (medic) while I'm on a pyro doing the OMG achievement. Want the medic achievement for helping somebody get an achievement.

EDIT: Seems like every server that updated is down. Except CircleX has 24/24 on fastlane. Hmm.

SECOND: Complete and utter clusterfuck. No sense playing if you're not farming today. Other than OMG taunt, there's nothing you can really earn if the other team is all pyros. And fighting is retarded since you really can't burn each other.

1-D_FTW

Added to my second edit, but CircleX is running just fine. Having all pyro vs pyro is not worth playing though. No achievements are obtainable and fighting is less than thrilling if nobody burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom