• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, fine. Have some people go scout and spy and soldier and whatever else, then. The only thing I object to is people letting me do it. It's not really a matter of pride. "hay guys i got all achievements legitimately!" It's just that I play the game to have fun, and farming isn't fun! D:

But hey, all I have to do is wait a week and everyone will be done being boring.

I hate achievements. I hate unlockables. So when I look at these achievements and realize I would have already unlocked everything legitimately had they been previously recorded, I just don't wanna dick around. I'd prefer one quick session to get it all over and then go back to enjoying the game legit.

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:
I hate achievements. I hate unlockables. So when I look at these achievements and realize I would have already unlocked everything legitimately had they been previously recorded, I just don't wanna dick around. I'd prefer one quick session to get it all over and then go back to enjoying the game legit.
Oh just get it over with and admit you hate everything... ;p

Twig

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Yes, you hate like everything about the game. I'm painfully aware.

I like the flare gun. It's not too useful but it's a lot more fun. I did manage to take out a sentry with it but it takes forever.

And I've already gotten front-critted with the new flamethrower. :/

Ysiadmihi

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
Part of the reason people might not think the Flare Gun is that useful is because everyone is an inflammable Pyro right now but fire lasts so long and ticks away at your health so much that lighting someone on fire really forces them to seek out water/health.

There is a difference with the Flare Gun. It doesn't damage nearly as well as the flamethrower does, so there will be less reason to panic and run for a Medic or health pack. I can see it's use for annoying/harassing people, but there is absolutely no reason to give up the shotgun for it.

No Means Nomad said:
It's really useful and the shotgun is never powerful enough that you'd want to do anything with it as it is.

I think you'll find a lot of people who disagree. The combination of easy aiming and high powered crits make the shotgun a great weapon.

Twig

Banned
Confidence Man said:
And I've already gotten front-critted with the new flamethrower. :/
I may be mistaken but I don't think front crits are impossible with the backburner. They're still random.

Doytch

Blowing up a sentry with reflected rockets was fun. :lol

TheOneGuy said:
I may be mistaken but I don't think front crits are impossible with the backburner. They're still random.

You're right. It's also definitely not as lenient as the Spy backstab. I've been behind people and it hasn't gone critical, or takes a while.

VaLiancY

I like using the Flare gun for targets that retreat or when I do since the fall off for the shotgun is pretty sharp. Say if I was going against a Soldier, instead of rushing him to close the range between me and him, I'll retreat while I pop a flare round and hear him burn.:lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ysiadmihi said:
There is a difference with the Flare Gun. It doesn't damage nearly as well as the flamethrower does, so there will be less reason to panic and run for a Medic or health pack. I can see it's use for annoying/harassing people, but there is absolutely no reason to give up the shotgun for it.

I think you'll find a lot of people who disagree. The combination of easy aiming and high powered crits make the shotgun a great weapon.

If you can aim it higher the arc will give it more range than the shotgun will get, I've killed a few people with it that I already weakened and they tried to run away. It does annoy the hell out of heavies though, if you shoot them from behind and run away the moment they light on fire most of them spin around frantically thinking you're right behind them. :lol

However, it's pretty much impossible to kill another pyro with it. The slow shooting + weak damage + no ignite = :(, and since it's pyro city now it's hard to judge it, I'm not sure what to stick with yet. Same with the axtingisher, I haven't been able to light anyone yet because most people are covered by pyros, but I think the new ax and flare gun will work together well. It doesn't need to be your flame for it to crit, so once someone shoots a heavy from afar you can take your chance and nail him.

Doytch said:
Blowing up a sentry with reflected rockets was fun. :lol

You're right. It's also definitely not as lenient as the Spy backstab. I've been behind people and it hasn't gone critical, or takes a while.

It is a lot more strict, but if you do get someone perfectly anyone facing the flame head on also get the crit.

Had lots of fun last night in the crazy pyro matches :)

The backburner is SICK. I got killed repeatedly by it on matches on Hydro where pyros snuck up behind the rocks and obliterated me.

Bunny

Won said:
Bleh an achievement bug is stealing my backburner. Got 3/3 on the "kill 3 while taunting" but no achievment. :(

yeah i got the same bug, except the one that didn't register for me was the zoomed sniper one. :/

Twig

Banned
Have you tried doing those achievements again?

With the medic achievements, I had that happen a couple times. Doing it "one more time" usually fixed it.

Won

But no one is taunting......

Also I try to get all the achievements without farming at the moment, but no player has the balls to run around as a spy. :(

I got used to the Flare Gun. most people don't really look annoyed by it, but I got some long range kills with already, so it is ok in my book.

The Backburner on the other end......

Ysiadmihi said:
There is a difference with the Flare Gun. It doesn't damage nearly as well as the flamethrower does, so there will be less reason to panic and run for a Medic or health pack.
It's not about the immediate damage it's about what happens over time. If hit by the flare gun a class can lose about 1/3-1/2 of their health just by a slow tick, and most players aren't going to charge into battle with an impediment like being on fire.

Ysiadmihi said:
Relying on critical hits is a crutch for players who can't do anything on their own.

Twig

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
Relying on critical hits is a crutch for players who can't do anything on their own.
Even though I don't think crits break the game (far from it), I agree with the above statement.

Capndrake

You guys keep toying with your harmless air blast, in the meantime I'll continue sneaking up on groups of enemies and annihalating them in 2 or 3 seconds with 100% crits.

Also, 225 health means you can survive a crit rocket :D

Vlad

Had The Orange Box for almost two months now, but only had the chance to play TF2 for around an hour when I first got it. Tried some more last night, and I've got one big question:

How do you set it up so that hitting a given number automatically selects the weapon? Having to click the mouse makes sense when playing regular HL2, as there's more than one weapon per number, but doing it when there's on weapon per slot is just unnecessary.

Capndrake

Vlad said:
Had The Orange Box for almost two months now, but only had the chance to play TF2 for around an hour when I first got it. Tried some more last night, and I've got one big question:

How do you set it up so that hitting a given number automatically selects the weapon? Having to click the mouse makes sense when playing regular HL2, as there's more than one weapon per number, but doing it when there's on weapon per slot is just unnecessary.
It's under advanced options somewhere, something like "Toggle Fast Weapon Switch".

Ysiadmihi

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
It's not about the immediate damage it's about what happens over time. If hit by the flare gun a class can lose about 1/3-1/2 of their health just by a slow tick, and most players aren't going to charge into battle with an impediment like being on fire.

Maybe. Maybe not. You can't say that for sure.

In a one on one situation, I see no reason to run from a Pyro who's just ignited you with a Flare Gun. They'd probably be a good distance away if they're using flares instead of a flamethrower in the first place, and without a shotgun that puts them at a severe disadvantage.

No Means Nomad said:

That doesn't make the shotgun any less effective because of it. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by saying this.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Re: the achievement bugs. Is the meter full and yet your not registered as achieving it or are you just talking about individual incidents not being recorded? The latter has happened to me, but if I switch servers or whatever it ends up working again.

The backburner is just nasty. It's like the flamethrower that everyone wanted when the game shipped. The CB is a good ability, but any pyro worth their lick of salt before the update will just decimate teams with the new flamethrower. I guess people will switch over to the old one if either team is turtling and they want to prevent demomen from blowing up sentries and forming bottlenecks.

Won

fallengorn said:
Re: the achievement bugs. Is the meter full and yet your not registered as achieving it or are you just talking about individual incidents not being recorded? The latter has happened to me, but if I switch servers or whatever it ends up working again.

Meter is full. Have the bug on my World Traveler achievement since last year and they never fixed it. :(

Capndrake

4 achievements left to have them all. I wonder if each class will get a "1 mil X" achievement, they're by far the most annoying if you rarely play the class in question.

notsol337

marked forever
I have like 20 of them left. I hate them all too. Unlocks in multiplayer games are just a bad idea, IMO.

OH WELL IT IS STILL FUN!

Ysiadmihi said:
Maybe. Maybe not. You can't say that for sure.

In a one on one situation, I see no reason to run from a Pyro who's just ignited you with a Flare Gun. They'd probably be a good distance away if they're using flares instead of a flamethrower in the first place, and without a shotgun that puts them at a severe disadvantage.
No...I really can say that for sure because I'm pretty familiar with the game.

The flare gun has a much better range on it than the shotgun, and has no diminishing aspect over long distances like the shotgun has. The damage the shotgun does beyond your flamethrower range isn't good. The flare gun has no distance problems like the shotgun, and deals about as much damage as a shotgun critical, just over time.

You don't have to run from a Pyro that just shot you with a flare gun, but a smart one will run from you because they already won. The Pyro isn't supposed to charge in, it's supposed to ambush opponents, and finally gets a bigger benefit from that with the backburner. The flaregun is for situations where the Pyro is backing off, but can still send the opposition running back to their spawn or to health packs.

The go to weapon when your opponent is on fire is supposed to be the Axetinguisher now.

Ysiadmihi said:
That doesn't make the shotgun any less effective because of it. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by saying this.
I'm telling you the shotgun is a bitch weapon. And Pyros pulling it out are wasting time not setting an ambush when they try to mess with people further away hoping to crit and do a little damage. There's a reason that Soliders and Heavies don't use their shotguns, and there's not really a good excuse for Pyros to pull it out all the time just because of their weapons shortcomings. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever use it, but it's incredibly ineffective and your score will be lower for it.

Firestorm

No Means Nomad said:
Not always. Like in Pokemon, there's a degree of risk assessment that rests squarely on the player's shoulder when deciding whether or not you should hope for a crit or run the hell away. It's all about risk to reward =)

As far as I'm concerned, the best part of the update (aside from being able to haduoken people) is the compressed air blast. So much fun to use! Great for pushing people off of high points (C point on Gravelpit and the spires on Badlands come to mind), messing with ubers, lighting people on fire and then pushing them out of your range. Great stuff!

The achievements are an improvement over the medic pack as well, I'd say (even though I haven't gotten any of the weapons yet). They actually encourage good pyro behavior (burn everybody in sight) instead of the annoyances associated with the medic pack.

1-D_FTW

No Means Nomad said:
I'm telling you the shotgun is a bitch weapon. And Pyros pulling it out are wasting time not setting an ambush when they try to mess with people further away hoping to crit and do a little damage. There's a reason that Soliders and Heavies don't use their shotguns, and there's not really a good excuse for Pyros to pull it out all the time just because of their weapons shortcomings. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever use it, but it's incredibly ineffective and your score will be lower for it.

Usually when they're running, they're low on health and 5-10 more points can be the difference between escape and death. How many times has everyone died on top of a med kit.

Most soldiers pull their shotgun when in the heat of it and they don't wanna die reloading. Pretty good medic on CircleX once asked how come us soldiers always pull the shotgun. It's an essential tactic. It does as much damage as rockets at close range. A heavy or level 3 sentry don't require any more shotgun blasts than a rocket.

Won

Just unlocked Milestone 3 with a Pilot Light on Badlands. :lol
I will say they did a waaaay better job with this pack. Got them all ~24 hours after they were released and without farming. It is a good feeling to have all the stuff and still some silly random achievements to unlock. Will be a big smile on my face, when I get a legit "Got A Light?" and "Hotshot".

@Flare Gun
It will take a bit practice but you can kill players with it like the shotgun (yes it can crit!). But the best part, something I totally forgot, is that it completely disables Snipers and that on long range. So yes, I think that its a very useful tool, but if your kill:death ratio is more important to you then you choose of course the shotgun.

n0b

There was a pretty big argument over the backburner in the servers earlier and I was wondering what you guys thought after being around it a bit. To me the weapon concept is fine, but the health buff is just ridiculous. It makes the pyro a sprinting heavy...second highest health in the game, second highest damage in the game(possibly the highest considering the chance for continuous crits), but at the same time pyro second fastest running speed and no windup. I think at most the health buff should be 25.

Won

n0b said:
There was a pretty big argument over the backburner in the servers earlier and I was wondering what you guys thought after being around it a bit. To me the weapon concept is fine, but the health buff is just ridiculous. It makes the pyro a sprinting heavy...second highest health in the game, second highest damage in the game(possibly the highest considering the chance for continuous crits), but at the same time pyro second fastest running speed and no windup. I think at most the health buff should be 25.

Obviously overpowered.
Running around with >300 health with a medic in the back is just wrong.
But I think it is a hint for an upcoming Soldier weapon pack and don't expect a big nerf.

Firestorm said:
Not always. Like in Pokemon, there's a degree of risk assessment that rests squarely on the player's shoulder when deciding whether or not you should hope for a crit or run the hell away. It's all about risk to reward =)
Hope for a crit? No. Survival is the key to success in TF2. The longer you can live the better.
1-D_FTW said:
Usually when they're running, they're low on health and 5-10 more points can be the difference between escape and death. How many times has everyone died on top of a med kit.
What you're describing is extremely situational. A flare gun leaves a pyro outfitted for more battles than the shotgun and in a better position in all of them. The point of the flare gun is that health packs will be more infrequent as players will need to keep picking them up. Because of this displacement on the map to specific locations a good Pyro is going to know where his enemy is going to douse the flames, and can easily exploit that.
1-D_FTW said:
Most soldiers pull their shotgun when in the heat of it and they don't wanna die reloading. Pretty good medic on CircleX once asked how come us soldiers always pull the shotgun. It's an essential tactic. It does as much damage as rockets at close range. A heavy or level 3 sentry don't require any more shotgun blasts than a rocket.
Right, they pull the shotgun out because their main weapon is no longer viable. I'm not saying you should never use the shotgun, and with soliders it can be a different story, but without the spread and splash damage it's much more ineffective than reloading your rocket launcher most of the time. Most classes are trying to close the gap on a solider, and it's the solider's best strategy to keep enemies at bay by juggling them back with rockets but keeping them at a distance that yields high damage. If you're close enough to someone to the point where the shotgun is giving you that kind of damage you're probably better off with the shovel.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Backburner + uber = best game of TF2 I've ever had, never saw so many crits before. :lol

Can the Axtingisher crit on people you didn't light on fire? If so, I'll probably switch back to it when the pyro surplus dies down. How long did it take the medic phase to pass? I wasn't in a tf2 mood then so I completly missed it.

Doytch

If you're fighting over long range, you won't kill anyone as Pyro. Let's ignore that case altogether.

Now, if you're close to someone, you use your flamethrower, and set them on fire. If they go out of your range, you switch to secondary weapon. If you have a flare gun, you do shit for damage. I think it hit me for for around 15-20 dmg. Flare gun damage is all dot, and if you've already set someone on fire, it's useless. Shotgun does a shitload of dmg. Good pyros use the shottie a lot, because it's critical to success. It lets your fire do its DoT, and lets you stay at medium range, where you can more easily dodge your enemy's fire, or at least avoid getting hit with the entire spread from a shottie/scattergun.

Flare gun is cool sounding and all, but it's really not useful for anything besides harassing people at long range. And your sniper should be doing that.

Go ahead and use it, but your midrange game will be completely impotent.

notsol337

marked forever
sonicspear64 said:
You bastard!!! You dare turn your back on us?!!! :lol

My normal rotation for classes is scout/sniper/pyro.

For awhile, all I ever did was pyro!

Now that they have their update, too many people will be doing pyro for like... 2 weeks.

I'll just wait it out.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Won said:
But I think it is a hint for an upcoming Soldier weapon pack and don't expect a big nerf.
At the rate we're going, I'm expecting this:
106ze3n.jpg

They did a good job with the pyro achievements. I wish they'd retroactively do the same with medic and have the milestones work like the pyros.

ice cream

Banned
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Fixed "Hot on your Heels" counting non-flamethrower based kills
* Fixed some Pyro achievements not working on some servers
* Fixed Compression Blast and Flare Gun trail particles on DX8
* Fixed Spy cloaked as Scout in response rules for all classes

n0b said:
I agree. Although i've only used the backburner once netted me a 3.5 K: D ratio, as opposed to the usual 2~2.5. Although, while the CB can be vital to winning battles, it doesn't net many points.

Oh and the shotgun a bitch weapon? It deals 80 damage for a direct hit, and has a high rate of fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom