• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mash

Quick question guys, how close should I be waiting for rockets and shit to get before I use the compression burst? Is it only rockets and grendades it reflects?

Won

Doytch said:
Flare gun damage is all dot, and if you've already set someone on fire, it's useless. Shotgun does a shitload of dmg. Good pyros use the shottie a lot, because it's critical to success.

1) Flare Gun does damage on hit. Already killed some Snipers on Sniper range. :D

2) Good Pyros used Shottie because the stupid Flamethrower was fucking useless outside of point blank range. :p

That said I see 2 set ups here:

Thrower/Flare for more defensive purposes. Keeping Sentries safe, pushing Ubers away and put enemies on fire as soon they are in sight is very useful. You won't top the score board, but hey it is a team game!

And then there is the Soon to be Nerfedburner/Shottie set up for your all out damage madness.

Which Axe you mix in is up to you.

notsol337

marked forever
Mash said:
Quick question guys, how close should I be waiting for rockets and shit to get before I use the compression burst? Is it only rockets and grendades it reflects?

It reflects flares too, I was bouncing one back and forth across 2fort with a friend last night.

You can push stickies too.

Doytch

Won said:
1) Flare Gun does damage on hit. Already killed some Snipers on Sniper range. :D

Yeah that was hyperbole. But the initial damage is pathetic. Here:

* Point Blank: 14-15
o Critical Hit: Unknown
* Medium Range: 16-18
* Long Range: 22-25

Compared to the shotgun:

# Point Blank: 80-90
* Critical Hit: 180
* DPS(damage per second): 160-180
# Medium Range: 10-30
* DPS(damage per second): 30-60
# Long Range: 3-10
* DPS(damage per second): 6-20

DPS is way in favour of shotgun.

Won

What was the command to record demos? Had some awesome kills with flare gun, some you just can't do with the shotgun. :p

Playing more with it I really have to say the ability to jump around a corner, flare 1 or maybe 2 snipers and then proceed to flame everything down close to you is veeeery useful. It is a neat way to surpress the enemy, but if you only care about numbers the shotgun sure wins.

Also the flamethrower with the damage falloff buff is now soo powerfull that rarely someone escapes, if your movement doesn't suck.

The Flare Gun isn't better (I can't kill lone sentries with it? WTF?), but saying it is useless after one day......naaah...try it out, it is really neat and what is way more importent for me, it is fun to play with it.

Won

Waaaahh....it is soooo much easier to ambush players and destroy sentries with the damn backburner than with a spy. :(

Xizk

Won said:
Waaaahh....it is soooo much easier to ambush players and destroy sentries with the damn backburner than with a spy. :(

I wonder if they will release the spy upgrade next. Don't really see much players playing spy lately and it could really use the upgrade.

Won

Xizk said:
I wonder if they will release the spy upgrade next. Don't really see much players playing spy lately and it could really use the upgrade.

At the moment I have no idea what they possible can do with the Spy. He always sucked against sentries. Backstabs....people move more and the hit detection got worse.....he is still good at killing Snipers, yeah.
It is actual kinda sad. Even before the update I killed more people with the revolver than with knife, because is easier. I also started to destroy sentries on long range with the revolver, instead of bothering directly with the Engineer.

Hmmm I hope they introduce a better revolver. :p

traveler

Not Wario
These updates really have me wanting to get back into the game. It was my favorite mp shooter of last fall but after I sold my 360 copy in exchange for the PC one, I just haven't been able to get back in. I'm a total noob to the PC MP FPS space and I just have no idea how to join games with people I know. (It doesn't help that, despite spending over 50 hours with PC FPSes- between the Orange Box, Crysis, and Stalker- I still suck horribly with the kb/m. Does TF2 support the 360 pad on the PC?)

Won

traveler said:
These updates really have me wanting to get back into the game. It was my favorite mp shooter of last fall but after I sold my 360 copy in exchange for the PC one, I just haven't been able to get back in. I'm a total noob to the PC MP FPS space and I just have no idea how to join games with people I know. (It doesn't help that, despite spending over 50 hours with PC FPSes- between the Orange Box, Crysis, and Stalker- I still suck horribly with the kb/m. Does TF2 support the 360 pad on the PC?)

Wait...suck at kb/m? No way! I recommend to get used to it. It is always hard to learn a new control sheme. But yeah as far as I remember there is a controller checkbox in the options.

And players, the GAF server got a bit of traffic this weekend thanks to the update. And after that just work on your Steam friend list.

Twig

Banned
traveler said:
Does TF2 support the 360 pad on the PC?
I know someone who's used it before, to try it out.

But, uh, I have to be completely honest. If you use a 360 pad to play TF2 against people using a KB/M... You're going to lose. D:

traveler

Not Wario
TheOneGuy said:
I know someone who's used it before, to try it out.

But, uh, I have to be completely honest. If you use a 360 pad to play TF2 against people using a KB/M... You're going to lose. D:

No way I'm going to lose as bad as if I was using a kb/m though. And I did try to give it a fair shake- like I said, I've spent over 50 hours using the kb/m- it's just not working out for me at all.

Twig

Banned
traveler said:
No way I'm going to lose as bad as if I was using a kb/m though. And I did try to give it a fair shake- like I said, I've spent over 50 hours using the kb/m- it's just not working out for me at all.
Yeah, I'm not trying to put you down or anything. Just giving my honest opinion. I really, really don't think you'll be able to hold your own against people using the KB/M. Especially against some of the GAF regulars. They're uh... not the best, but pretty damn good nonetheless.

Won

I put enough time into Halo 3 to get 1000/1000 GP and up to ~Level 45 in the FFA modus online and will say I just can't control the game.

Just because you think you suck with it doesn't mean you really suck. :p

That said, the skill gap between controller and kb/m is HUGE. Focus on one game, find a sensitivity that suits you and then just play and have fun. They pay off is worth it.

Zyzyxxz

kb/m setup is superior, you just need to find the right settings.

EVerybody has their own sensitivity and layout they like best while for consoles most are stuck with it so everybody is equally comfortable or uncomfortable.

n0b

Won said:
At the moment I have no idea what they possible can do with the Spy. He always sucked against sentries. Backstabs....people move more and the hit detection got worse.....he is still good at killing Snipers, yeah.
It is actual kinda sad. Even before the update I killed more people with the revolver than with knife, because is easier. I also started to destroy sentries on long range with the revolver, instead of bothering directly with the Engineer.

Hmmm I hope they introduce a better revolver. :p
Sapper that switches stuff to help your team, but it doesn't damage the building, the engineer can still detonate it, it uncloaks you, and it lasts at most as long as it would to sap the existing health of the building(maybe only half).

Revolver that can shoot blanks while in disguise so you can get past the standard "shoot to show that you are a teammate" greeting. Maybe make it take 2 ammo per blank shot, and you can no longer shoot to get out of disguise.

Knife, I dunno, I cant think of anything that wouldn't be an all around buff instead of a tradeoff. Maybe allow the knife to get head/neck stabs from the front, but you can't immediately cloak or disguise?

Holepunch

Just my ideas for a spy update.

1)Revolver/Tranq Gun: It can be brought back from TFC. What it should do is add a distort effect to the person shot, perfect for trying to backpeddle your way out of a bad situation, or alternatively, have it poison whoever is shot, but have the shots compound. Say you get hit by a shot, you lose 5 health points a second, if you get hit by 2, you lose 10 health points a second and so on until either you grab a healing item or a medic heals you. Trade off could be no crits and/or reduced damage/clip

2)Sapper/Hotwire: (I know someone else came up with this, but I'll be damned if I know their name.) A sapper you have to use right next to the object your sapping, and you have to continually use it. The bonus is that it drains health faster than a normal sapper would. If you want to stop it, you have to kill the spy, plain and simple. Would be effective to those who like to barricade themselves in, plus its really damn obvious to any teammates whos the spy.

3)Knife/Cigarette: Just an idea I thought to toy with. A cigarette that engulfs the poor victim in flames. Damage would have to be decent to make up for the lack of insta kill. Say about 1 hit from a crit flamethrower, plus continued burning. It could be used from the front or sides, and a good way to turn a pack of people into a flambeaux before they realize what happened. Couple that with a tranq gun and spy would be effective at annoying the hell out of people. Makes him a good assister.

And finally, the bonus ability

Stop Cloak: A tanooki statue style of cloaking, the spy using it can cloak and de-cloak instantaneously, and the cloak power drains 3 times as slow(possibly not at all), the trade up being they cannot move while cloaked. I can imagine this being difficult to use, but also effective for those who are going after backstabs.

firex

For the knife I would say something like this, assuming it'll be the "ultimate" unlocked weapon like how the ubersaw/axetinguisher are the ultimate unlocked weapons for medic/pyro: A knife that does very little damage on anything but a backstab, but a successful kill will fully recharge your cloak and instantly cloak you. Another idea is maybe a smokescreen type of "replacement" for the cloak, which could let other allies sneak through stuff too. the smoke in that case would obviously have to disable sentries that are in the smoke's field.

Doytch said:
Yeah that was hyperbole. But the initial damage is pathetic. Here:

* Point Blank: 14-15
o Critical Hit: Unknown
* Medium Range: 16-18
* Long Range: 22-25

Compared to the shotgun:

# Point Blank: 80-90
* Critical Hit: 180
* DPS(damage per second): 160-180
# Medium Range: 10-30
* DPS(damage per second): 30-60
# Long Range: 3-10
* DPS(damage per second): 6-20

DPS is way in favour of shotgun.
Those numbers aren't very realistic though. Point-blank with more than one hit you're better off using a melee weapon where you're likely to get a crit at least once, and from anything more than about ten yards you're seeing those 10-30 numbers, which are pretty much worthless. It's not taking into account that you likely won't be hitting with all the flak like the "DPS Tests".

Unless you're a scout and you can keep the gap closed to allow you to keep your damage high, the shotgun is pretty weak the vast majority of the time.

The Flare Gun actually does more damage the further away the target is, rewarding excellent shots. You're underestimating the slow tick fire has on people. Not only are they more likely to panic but it gives the pyro an upper hand going into a fight, and another target to use the Axetinguisher on.

Twig

Banned
Having just unlocked the flare gun and used it exclusively since then for about half an hour, I can already say that I find the flare gun much more useful.

But then I don't care about DPS. I find that I'm much better at simply being a distraction with classes like the scout and pyro.

(Although me and Bunny (medic) were essentially dominating the board for the first half of Fastlane. F YEAH.)

Dreavus

I noticed that they seem to call the Backburner a "level 10" weapon, just like I think the Blutsauger is called a "level 5" one. Anyone know why this is?

Nobody was online earlier tonight (around 6pm CST) so I hopped on circle-x gaming servers for a bit. Had some great rounds and got to try Fastlane for the first time. It's not that bad of a map- very Badland-ish. The hardest part was capping the 5th point because I kept getting lost.

On open level maps (dustbowl, badlands) the flare gun is NASTY! I've been set on fire so many times for across the map it's annoying.

And I can't believe how powerful the backburner is. On close tunnels in dustbowl, or hallways in other levels I just get destroyed by pyros equipped with it gah!

Dreavus said:
I noticed that they seem to call the Backburner a "level 10" weapon, just like I think the Blutsauger is called a "level 5" one. Anyone know why this is?

Yeah I don't get the whole point of the levels of the new unlockable weapons. It would be cool if future updates had them default to level 1 and you had to use them more and more to unlock the higher level abilities ala COD4.

Dreavus

omgimaninja said:
Yeah I don't get the whole point of the levels of the new unlockable weapons. It would be cool if future updates had them default to level 1 and you had to use them more and more to unlock the higher level abilities ala COD4.

Yeah I initially thought that that's what was happening. Level 5 for Blutsauger seemed reasonable, but then when I looked at my regular medigun which I obviously use WAY more at level 1, the whole thing stopped making sense. :lol

Won

Holepunch said:
2)Sapper/Hotwire: (I know someone else came up with this, but I'll be damned if I know their name.) A sapper you have to use right next to the object your sapping, and you have to continually use it. The bonus is that it drains health faster than a normal sapper would. If you want to stop it, you have to kill the spy, plain and simple. Would be effective to those who like to barricade themselves in, plus its really damn obvious to any teammates whos the spy.

Who came up with that? An engineer already needs to kill the spy in this case. ;)

But I already see how disappointed I will be.

Revolver - Doesn't crit but saps the weapon of your enemy! - Yeah who cares....

Knife - A backstabs fill up half of your cloak! - Because I want to run away after every stab.....

Sapper - The sapper has now a taunt! - FUCK YEAH!

Javaman

6tjuj5.jpg

Yikes! :lol :lol :lol

firex

maybe a knife you could use WHILE cloaked would be better. like literally you could be cloaked, but the knife would break it after you hit.

Dartastic

It was so crazy, and there were so many guys around! I saw a Pyro, thought we could rush in to take out the sentry, and when we rounded the corner he de-cloaked and TAUNTED me. Then I met a very quick death.

Also - I really need to go achievement farming. The backburner was owning me oh, oh so hard, and I want it so badly.

fallout

Dartastic said:
I cannot believe I ubered a disguised Spy. =(
I once did this on the centre point of cp_well. It was myself and soldier, versus about 5 of their guys and we were trying to defend the point. So, I blew the uber and then EVERYONE just sort of stood around and I realized that the soldier was a spy.

Sciz

CTF_Well is the first iteration of the map I've ever really enjoyed. It's more focused and chaotic than before, and therefore more fun.

I'm also enjoying the ability to get achievements via normal gameplay, unlike a good portion of the medic pack. Among others, I've picked up a legit BarbeQueQ. :D

And teams of ten pyros = <3

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Won is a good ass spy. The stupid part was that I SAW him like every single time before he killed me. :( I think I'm just going to start shooting random people when and if someone mentions one.

On the bright side, I've gotten better using the heavy and the scout. Same for the sniper.

zoku88

I always shoot at random people >.> I don't trust anyone, anymore...

totally nailed a spy on accident today when I started shooting randomly on a control point

so 12 kill streak with engineer woo. Not exciting I know, but 4 of the kills were with the sentry rest was pistol/shotgun on turbine. Just plonked myself in the middle area running around like a mad man. Stayed alive for 13mins

Meliorism

I completely dig this game. Played it for the free weekend and made the decision to buy it after really wanting to play this afternoon.

Just wish I didn't have framerate dips at times.

Had to quit playing on the GAF server earlier when Dustbowl showed up, but by the time I was done the free weekend period was over. Lame. I'll probably buy Team Fortress 2 again sooner or later, but first I need to upgrade my PC. Pyro and Heavy Weapons Guy were unplayable for me due to the framerate constantly chugging in crowded area's, and I'm not even going to begin playing the Scout under those circumstances. 18 - 20 player servers were merely OK on my computer, while joining servers that had 24 or more players (which I didn't like honestly) was pushing it.

Also: after fighting so many Pyro's these last two days, I think that Valve went a little overboard with the removal of the flamethrower's falloff damage. They should put that back in somehow. Didn't have any qualms with the other upgrades on the other hand (I have yet to unlock them, considering with what I said in the previous paragraph).

traveler said:
Yeah, you're not the only one having difficulties playing the game on PC. I for one can't crouch rocket jump at all on the PC (even after 20+ hours), whereas on the 360 I've reached the point where I can do that pretty quickly.

Speaking of the soldier class: I don't think that they've been nerfed that bad by the recent update. Their low ammunition bothered me a lot more, even though it's still somewhat manageable as long as you pick up the enemy's weapons / know where all the ammo crates are.

I really, really need to unlock the backburner. I was tearing it up as Pyro last night, and if I had the backburner, it would've been much, much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom