• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

MicVlaD said:
Yeah, you're not the only one having difficulties playing the game on PC. I for one can't crouch rocket jump at all on the PC (even after 20+ hours), whereas on the 360 I've reached the point where I can do that pretty quickly.

Customizable controls FTW.... I still haven't figured out how people duck with the CTRL key and yet every damn shooter has it on default. Probably missed out on a jump in evolution, in which everyone got a sixth finger on the hand palm.
One of WoW guildmates can't play, if his skills aren't set to ALT and CTRL shortcuts. I mean WTF.....

firex

I have my crouch set at middle mouse in this game (and all other FPS where you can't toggle crouch) and otherwise just set it to like C or something if it's a toggle, like in CoD and a few other FPS games.

anyway, I played some more with the backburner today and it's definitely awesome and arguably overpowered (would probably need to fight teams made up of more classes instead of 5 pyros + mix of everything else) but it at least has more risk associated with it than other guns. Mostly it's the +50 health that makes it strong, since I survive stuff that would normally kill me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't think the Backburner or the health boost it gives is overpowered, but combined with a Medic it becomes completely unacceptable.

notsol337

marked forever
Won said:
Customizable controls FTW.... I still haven't figured out how people duck with the CTRL key and yet every damn shooter has it on default. Probably missed out on a jump in evolution, in which everyone got a sixth finger on the hand palm.
One of WoW guildmates can't play, if his skills aren't set to ALT and CTRL shortcuts. I mean WTF.....

Pinky finger on CTRL, 3 middle fingers on wasd, thumb on space.

I... don't see what's hard.

Unless you have really small hands.

notsol337 said:
Pinky finger on CTRL, 3 middle fingers on wasd, thumb on space.

I... don't see what's hard.

Unless you have really small hands.

Yeah, I mean, doesn't your pinky go to CTRL naturally when your others are on wasd? I'm sitting here trying to figure out what might make it hard for you, because it seems like the most natural button to me.

So here's how it is with me. The middle of my pinky is resting on CTRL, and pointing to a slight angle outward (so it doesn't hit shift). That makes it really easy to hit CTRL with your pinky. Maybe you're trying to hit it with the end of your pinky? I can see how that would make it hard!

Sciz

I've got to sympathize with Won here. My pinky rests on Shift normally, so I remapped it to C where it's at home with the rest of the action buttons.

Won

I have yet to find a position for my hand, in which i can reach the CTRL with my pinky without the need of a new finger every week and have access to the number keys. Having the hand flat on the keyboard, so that I can use the middle of the finger just lacks freedom.
I know what you guys mean (tried it for a short time period) but I moved it to TAB a decade ago (don't even know why this key is always wasted with the stupid scoreboard), resting my fingertips on TAB, A, W, D and the space bar in most natural possible position for my hand approaching from the bottom left corner from the keyboard.

No wonder it is so easy to dominate a server. :p

Won

Moved the duck button to TAB. My scoreboard is on # or whatever the button on crazy US keyboards is next to enter.

Using the tab button is very important for many reasons:

• Seeing how many people on your team or the other team are alive
  • Checking to see if classes are balanced
  • Spy checking: hmm there's a pyro running around but nobody on your team is a pyro..KILL
  • Deciding who to uber: should I run in with the top ranked pyro or the guy on the bottom who has no points
    etc

Davidion

omgimaninja said:

• Deciding who to uber: should I run in with the top ranked pyro or the guy on the bottom who has no points
    etc

So that's why you're such a great medic...BIGOTRY.

I used to be an arrow keys/right shift/ctrl user, but I've moved on to standard wasd. Now that I'm using the N52, I actually have the standard WASD, jump mapped to my pinky (left shift) with duck (along with voicechat and a couple of weapon slots) mapped to the d-pad under my right thumb.

The only problem with the n52 (and I don't deny that it's a big one) is its lack of a top button row for weapon selection. Its shape and overall usability narrowly edges that out, however.

firex

The more I think about it, the more the Axetinguisher is completely useless... I can only see it being used for taking down a heavy, but considering the backburner/regular flamethrower both deal a lot of damage now, I just don't see any reason to use it over the regular axe.

plus, since I use the flare gun instead of the shotgun now, I'll have to use the regular axe in case I go after someone underwater!

omgimaninja said:

• Seeing how many people on your team or the other team are alive
  • Checking to see if classes are balanced
  • Spy checking: hmm there's a pyro running around but nobody on your team is a pyro..KILL
    etc
  • Deciding who to kill, if you want to win take down the guy at the top of the scoreboard, specially if it's a sniper towards the top

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
Oh boy let us all debate the philosophy of WASD hand placement.

This should be exciting!!!!

I can't get used to WASD after using A/Lshift/Z/X since the dawn of 1st person shooters. The only game I use it for is Battlefield2 since the conflicts are such a bitch to work out.

Oreoleo

Hey guys check this out

I use e,a,d and f to move around and crouch with w. It's like the most natural feeling thing ever and no one gets it except one of my best buds who uses it for every single pc shooter like I do.

Edit: Why is no one playing right now :(

Orellio said:
Hey guys check this out

I use e,a,d and f to move around and crouch with w. It's like the most natural feeling thing ever and no one gets it except one of my best buds who uses it for every single pc shooter like I do.

Edit: Why is no one playing right now :(
But my keyboard has "WASD" in some psuedo-glow in the dark highlights. How can I abandon them?

Oreoleo

I guess everyone has their keys they are used to using. I remember back in the day being like 12 or 13 and playing TFC with the arrow keys and trying to stretch my pinky over to ctrl, alt, shift etc and couldn't understand why everyone was so much more awesomer than I was.

Edit: I'm gonna go hop on some random servers if anyone feels like trying to start a game up I'll be happy to switch over to the GAF server or Love Me Sexy, just send me a message through Steam.

You turned me into a beast the last map and a half, Pillowknight. Nice job with the healing. I love how your first words after switching to medic were "I'm going to regret this" and then we ended up winning every round from then on. :lol

Finally found a non-griefing server with helpful people to get the achievements and got the backburner unlocked. Not gonna bother trying for the Axetinguisher any time soon, but it will probably unlock through normal play anyway as most of the achievements i have left were those sort.

Had some horrible games today, mostly due too many players achievement whoring.

rakka

wow

no idea when, but all my in-progress medic achievements have been reset to 0/whatever number i needed... e.g kill 50 scouts is 0/50 whereas i'm sure i nearly completed it a couple days ago.

wtf?

happen to anyone else?

Twig

Banned
rakka said:
wow

no idea when, but all my in-progress medic achievements have been reset to 0/whatever number i needed... e.g kill 50 scouts is 0/50 whereas i'm sure i nearly completed it a couple days ago.

wtf?

happen to anyone else?
Well, when I formatted my hard drive, I lost all that progress. Did you do that? Maybe reinstall TF2?

Otherwise, I have no clue.

eznark

Banned
all this button mapping talk reminds me, how do you guys do weapon selection? My scroll wheel whips too fast to control. I had a good amount of success last night as medic using just Q but wondering how you guys do it. I know PC games forever have used the number keys but TF2 is the first real PC multiplayer game i've played and it's been a struggle at times.

Twig

Banned
eznark said:
all this button mapping talk reminds me, how do you guys do weapon selection? My scroll wheel whips too fast to control. I had a good amount of success last night as medic using just Q but wondering how you guys do it. I know PC games forever have used the number keys but TF2 is the first real PC multiplayer game i've played and it's been a struggle at times.
I use fast-weapon-switch plus mouse-wheel, and Q for switching between my last two used weapons. Q isn't really feasible for engineers and spies, though. Sometimes it is, but they have a wider range of equipment than all other classes.

I only recently turned on fast weapon switch. Tried it a while back and it drove me nuts. But I put it back on a few days ago and man once I got used to it... So much better.

eznark

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
I use fast-weapon-switch plus mouse-wheel, and Q for switching between my last two used weapons. Q isn't really feasible for engineers and spies, though. Sometimes it is, but they have a wider range of equipment than all other classes.

I only recently turned on fast weapon switch. Tried it a while back and it drove me nuts. But I put it back on a few days ago and man once I got used to it... So much better.

I pretty much only play medic/pyro so Q works great most the time for my limited skill set.

Just read this article, which convinced me to never hit the achievement servers.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1961

Dude really gets across how dirty it makes him feel.

Twig

Banned
eznark said:
Just read this article, which convinced me to never hit the achievement servers.

Hah, I feel the same way as he does. I don't particularly care if other people do it, and I don't give a shit about getting it "legitimately". E-peen, lolz.

To me, it's just boring. Where's the fun in farming it all? I much prefer getting them legitimately just because it's more satisfying. I'm not an achievement whore, by any means. There are about 10k Gamerpoints un-achieved on my 360 because I don't feel like bothering with it all. But they're fun to unlock via normal play.

I'm still pissed about my heavy stats, too. 11 captures? Stupid Goldrush. ): I got 12 kills with the heavy on Saturday, more than I'd gotten before, but the point record still didn't come close to the 29 I had before, thanks to the stupid capture bug on Goldrush.

eznark

Banned
I like when I get an achievement on TF2, I think the whole farming thing would ruin that. At the same time, clearly there are people who enjoy it and I think it's dope that Vavle doesn't try and hinder that in any way.

Capndrake

Hall of Death *shudder*:

ctf_hallofdeath0002.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
To me, it's just boring. Where's the fun in farming it all? I much prefer getting them legitimately just because it's more satisfying. I'm not an achievement whore, by any means. There are about 10k Gamerpoints un-achieved on my 360 because I don't feel like bothering with it all. But they're fun to unlock via normal play.

I'd agree with you if the achievements didn't unlock new weapons. Sorry, but I'm not going to wait days or weeks to unlock new weapons when I could spend half an hour and have them all.

Twig

Banned
I need to play on 2fort2furious more often.
Ysiadmihi said:
I'd agree with you if the achievements didn't unlock new weapons. Sorry, but I'm not going to wait days or weeks to unlock new weapons when I could spend half an hour and have them all.
Meh.

I'm in no rush to get the weapons, either. Especially since before this update I'd barely played pyro. By the time I get used to the strategies of playing a "vanilla" pyro, I've unlocked the flare gun. (FLARE GUN IS AWESOME BY THE WAY.) Now that I'm really getting much better at ambushing people, I'm only a couple achievements away from the Backburner!

The Axetinguisher, I'm not particularly interested in, though. Doesn't suit my play style.

Now, when the demoman or soldier update comes, then I might be in a bit of a rush. Those are my two most-played classes. I'll want that shit right away. But on the other hand, because I'm much better with those classes, I'll unlock stuff faster... so it balances out.

Won

eznark said:

Since CS I always used the middle mouse button for the "last used weapon" command. Worked pretty good, because you only had 2 weapons and if I ever needed to use grenades I just selected them with the mouse wheel.
But on my current mouse, the button is for some reason not sensitive enough in TF2 and I never bothered to move it back to Q (Q is last disguise on my set up), so I just started to use the number keys. 1-4 are perfectly positioned over the W anyway.

eznark said:

Never understood how a achievement server works anyway. Depending on other players, who share the same goal as you can't end well.

And with Pyro probably even less effective than normal play. Took 5-6 hours max in Pyro play to unlock the weapons.

Twig

Banned
fallengorn said:
I really like Hall of Death.... maybe because I always tear shit up.

Also, I think I'm the last of a dying breed to use MOUSE2 as jump.
I've used the space bar to jump ever since FPS allowed jumping.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
fallengorn said:
I really like Hall of Death.... maybe because I always tear shit up.

Also, I think I'm the last of a dying breed to use MOUSE2 as jump.

D:

I guess that's not so weird. I used to use Shift to jump in CS.

Capndrake said:
(Music doesn't play automatically, but as you might know, the server has a sort of jukebox system where everybody can listen to whatever they want, and the song is on there)
Floor Master force played it the first time he kicked it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom