• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MicVlaD said:
I must be one of the few guys here that still uses the arrow buttons then. I hate using WASD / ZQSD for moving around...
On my laptop, the arrow keys are about half the size of the letter keys, so WASD works best. It's a more natural position for your hands anyway, unless you move your keyboard way over to the left (which one also can't do with a laptop since the keyboard and screen are obviously attached).

Sciz

Finally picked up the axetinguisher, though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've been far too busy making the backburner my new best friend.

2w36o9k.jpg

The crit chance on its own is fantastic, making me a raging flame demon capable of single-handedly felling heavy/medic teams as long as they don't see me coming. The +50 health is just delicious sentry-busting gravy.

On a different note, screenshot collection time.

Not sure how this happened, but I can only assume someone bagged a BLU soldier and mounted his rocket launcher as a trophy:

2wcp5dg.jpg

Instant karma:

30hsg7l.jpg

When ragdolls fail:

iwnp94.jpg

From another angle:

2dlkidl.jpg

And lastly I give you Drake Bond, super spy:

2nlfwpv.jpg

Sciz

Why hello there TF2 update.

Update News said:
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Reduced Medic's unlockable requirements to match that of the Pyro's. Medic players now meeting the requirements will receive their unlockables shortly after joining a server

Fixed Spy sapper viewmodel animation popping

Fixed another issue with the Hot on your Heels achievement

Incorporated the new Russian fonts into the base Team Fortress 2 fonts. Fixes the missing fonts problem when running in Russian with English VO
Get ready to see far more ubersaws running around.

Sciz said:
Why hello there TF2 update.

Get ready to see far more ubersaws running around.
So does mean I should be getting the Ubersaw thanks to this update, now that I've unlocked at least 30 achievements?

If so: marvelous! The boosting I had to do at the GAF server on Sunday pissed me off in the long run (hence why I 'lashed out' at JSnake eventually).

Doytch

PillowKnight said:
I'll take back that "master of deflection" title now :

Nice, I assume the sg is at the far end of the bridge?

I managed to take out an sg on Goldrush like that, from the little balcony. Somebody left an sg on the bridge all by itself, so I just popped out four times and knocked it out.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Volcynika said:
Hilarity happened tonight. Thank you to the soldier that sent me a rocket in Granary, since I reflected it back and killed Kak!

:lol

It seemed like every other person was a spy in one of those rounds. Oh, and I kept catching javaman when he was a sniper, until like thirty pyro and a soldier came in and destroyed me. :lol

Screenshot warz:

cp_fastlane0002.jpg

Pyros everywhere.

cp_gravelpit0000.jpg

Naptime.

kaktheinfectedislookinggood_0000.jpg

He's infected.

MicVlaDislookinggood_0000.jpg

Hm. Not looking good there.

n0bislookinggood.jpg

n0b alert.

pillowknightislookinggood.png

PillowKnight's so good that he shoots rockets backwards from the Heavy's shotgun.

Screenshot warz:

All right! I've got a ton of screenshots. Here's some of my favorites.

cannibalbobislookinggood.jpg

Killed by CannibalBob, the black hole.

cascadeislookinggood.jpg

Is coward killing time!

divineislookinggood.jpg

Poor Heavy...all he wanted was to eat his sandwich.

tf2ftrainriderjislookinggood.jpg

The look on that Heavy's face, seconds before he gets bonesawed is just perfect.

tf2fphasedislookinggood.jpg

This is probably the most perfect picture in the history of TF2. Fact.

eminenceislookinggood.jpg

Stupid medic. :(

tf2fspacegirlislookinggood.jpg

The spy crushes his enemies with the power of his mind.

Demomen always have great killcam shots.

Wernstrumislookinggood_0000.jpg

duane16islookinggood.jpg

mosaicislookinggood.jpg

No...just...no:

tf2fscorchislookinggood.jpg

Aye, and with that I'll be off with me bottle o' scrumpy!

tf2fechomendingislookinggood.jpg

Volcynika

Oldschoolgamer said:

It seemed like every other person was a spy in one of those rounds. Oh, and I kept catching javaman when he was a sniper, until like thirty pyro and a soldier came in and destroyed me. :lol

WALL OF PYROS. It happened. We burned.

Holepunch

I...can't believe this. I was just playing a random Goldrush game, and decided to play heavy on the 2nd stage. 2 medics decided to heal me, and in that round I got 39 points, and I didn't die. It was by far the greatest point score I have gotten.

But then...Quicktime decided it wasn't enough to be a crappy media player anymore, it kicked me out of my game to alert me to update. When I finally get back in game, all record of my heavy domination was lost. So instead of having a glorious 39 point record, I just have an even more overbearing grudge against quicktime, swell.

Firestorm

Played for a bit today with some friends. Got 1 Pyro achievement (Only played Pyro for like 1 minute) and 4 Medic achievements. Just 3 more until Ubersaw =D

Holepunch said:
I...can't believe this. I was just playing a random Goldrush game, and decided to play heavy on the 2nd stage. 2 medics decided to heal me, and in that round I got 39 points, and I didn't die. It was by far the greatest point score I have gotten.

But then...Quicktime decided it wasn't enough to be a crappy media player anymore, it kicked me out of my game to alert me to update. When I finally get back in game, all record of my heavy domination was lost. So instead of having a glorious 39 point record, I just have an even more overbearing grudge against quicktime, swell.
http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm
I hate Quicktime too. That's why I use this.

Javaman

Oldschoolgamer said:

Hmmm, must have been someone else since I never play sniper. Then again I had more then a few drinks last night LOL.

I was laughing like crazy during Offensive on Goldrush set 1 cp 2. The guys on red were pushing the defense through the tunnels with pyros galore. I was playing a spy with just a couple slivers of health left and ended up running into that narrow right hand tunnel right before a red pyro ran it. Thankfully I was invisible but he kept getting closer and closer since I was running backwards watching him. The awesome part was that I picked up the healthpack directly in front of him and he didn't notice. I thought for sure I was toast. :lol :lol

Hey guys my friend and I setup a server, we are currently testing it for load balancing, etc. If some of you guys want to achievement whore, it works great for that :D

It's 32 player, instant respawn running latest beetlemod, 66 tickrate server located in San Jose, CA. Supposedly I am only of the only proc's running on it. I played with about 10 other people on it last night, had a great connection, no packet loss, lag, etc.

May cycle is currently CTF_Well and Badlands, but can be changed easily to any custom maps, or whatever, and voting is enabled.

IP: 216.6.232.159:27015

Just a heads up for anyone interested, it's not meant to be affiliated or anything with GAF.

zer0das

Banned
I finally unlocked the flare gun. I like it a lot, but I feel like it's a bit weak. I think increasing the reload time and increasing the one time damage it does at the beginning or increasing the damage over time but decreasing the length of time it burns would help it significantly without making it overbearing. I think the second option is better because it seems like there's always a medkit nearby or a medic, or a locker... at the very least it forces them to flee faster.

The backburner is ridiculous. When a medic is healing a pyro it takes way too much damage to kill the pyro. I think if it increased the base hitpoints only without the hp cap being raised (ie, after a medic buff), it'd be slightly more balanced. It means in an ambush situation the pyro can survive longer, but in a bumrush he isn't going to be quite so strong. Since it seems like the +50 hp is to compensate for the loss of the compression blast, this also makes sense since it's really difficult to use it while running forward and trying to burn someone.

Also, it seems like medics are the best (or among the best) at killing pyros now. The only class besides scout that can outrun them, and even if they accidently get caught within the flamethrower they're already using their blutsauger so it doesn't matter.

SyNapSe

ubersaw now? woot, i was going to complain about the medic achievements still requiring so many.

I didn't get a chance to play for a while but I got the backburner last night and here are my thoughts on the new weapons I've tried.

Flare Gun: I think I'll go back to the shottie once i get the achievement. It's nice in certain situations, but overall the shottie seems more useful for me.

Backburner: Seems OP, hell just reading the +50 health before logging in I had a feeling it was going to be that way. I mean, I get the idea they are trying to create a MMOFPS type environment where next Pyro updates there will be a thrower that has +65 health and does 100% crits on back + +5% crits on front. Still, in the current game balance +50 is a ton of health for any class. Having played with it, it seems too strong and while thats an initial reaction it's with having teams of 35-40% pyro also.

Axetinguisher: I don't have this yet, but just reading how it works it seems incredibly weak for the last reward; granted, they are much easier this time. If you really have someone on fire, outside of a HW maybe how many classes do you need to crit if you axe them.

I'm sure the Axe is ok, perhaps its just in comparison to the crazy backburner that it looks so meh

Vlad

SyNapSe said:
Axetinguisher: I don't have this yet, but just reading how it works it seems incredibly weak for the last reward; granted, they are much easier this time. If you really have someone on fire, outside of a HW maybe how many classes do you need to crit if you axe them.

I imagine that it might work well with a pair of Pyros... one to ignite everybody, the other to go through swinging the axe like a madman.

Of course, I haven't unlocked a single weapon for either class yet... I refuse to grind, and the fact that I just started playing means that I'm not itching for something new to toy around with yet.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I unlocked the flare gun and honestly, I just like having fun fucking with snipers with it. Its funny catching one slipping while they are going after the target of highest priority. Pick and choose and then go down the chain. The fucking pyro running towards you shouldn't be as high on the list as the heavy with him. :lol I'm still debating on what I'm going to use most. It sucks against other pyros, unless you are assisting someone. Its great against camping snipers and heavies and the like. If I see one on the other side of the map, I'm aiming the crosshair above and judging the trajectory needed to tag the medic behind him.

Hitting scouts is harder because most of them sidestep like crazy.

I need to practice stopping and hopping backwards. I was about to kill a pyro earlier and he just hopped backwards and destroyed me with the backburner. :( Maybe I'll get the backburner and use it since I like ambushing with the flame thrower, but, air compression is nice. Soldiers are starting to aim for the ground more now. :(

Capndrake

That was awesome, me, sonicspear, a friend of mine and like 8 random people just defended Goldrush level 2 from kak, Confidence Man, Twig, Nomad, dygit, Synapse and 2 or 3 other GAFers (+3 or so random people).

Twig

Banned
SyNapSe said:
I mean, I get the idea they are trying to create a MMOFPS type environment
Are they? I dunno about that! I mean, some of the weapons are obviously upgrades, but they aren't "oh my god so awesome!" upgrades. IMO, the backburner is good for offense, while the normal flamethrower is good for defense (pyro punt any and all soldier rockets and demo stickies while defending an engy... pyro punt ubers, too!)

Axetinguisher is good with a pyro buddy. Double-team ambushes, ekcetra. Worthless without.

Zyzyxxz

damn I had a cool moment as soldier day before.

It was just like the Meet the Soldier Video.

I rocket jumped on goldrush where there was a heavy on a platform and while I was at the height of my jump I shot a rocket down on him and got lucky with a crit.

Doytch

TheOneGuy said:
Axetinguisher is good with a pyro buddy. Double-team ambushes, ekcetra. Worthless without.

I've had good luck with it when using it around corners, especially on hwg. Light him up, fall back, and then you can just dash out and chop. One chop is enough for him to die from the fire dot, but two hits will kill him outright.

Aegus

Had a great moment with pyro today where I flamed one person, shotgunned another and axed someone else, all in a 10 second period. :lol

Axetinguisher is really your main heavy weapons guy killing weapon, although saying that the backburner would probably do that better too. Yeah it's kinda shit tbh.

Capndrake said:
That was awesome, me, sonicspear, a friend of mine and like 8 random people just defended Goldrush level 2 from kak, Confidence Man, Twig, Nomad, dygit, Synapse and 2 or 3 other GAFers (+3 or so random people).
I cried.

Twig

Banned
Doytch said:
I've had good luck with it when using it around corners, especially on hwg. Light him up, fall back, and then you can just dash out and chop. One chop is enough for him to die from the fire dot, but two hits will kill him outright.
I didn't mean to say worthless. I was in a rush when I finished up that post.

It's much more useful WIT a pyro buddy, is all I was trying to say.

Oreoleo

Javaman said:
Any word on which will be the next upgraded class? I'm ready for a little turret doggy to follow me around.

Just on a guess, I'm gonna say either Demoman or Soldier. IMO they seem to be the classes that could use new weapons the most, now that Pyro is so crazy awesome.

They mentioned some engineer stuff when the medic weapons were released, but engineers don't really need new weapons yet. They are still plenty useful.

Firestorm

1 achievement away from Ubersaw. I should have it but House Call isn't working right at all -_-;

I entered the server of a friend, ubered another friend. PillowKnight says it doesn't work that way.
I entered another server of a friend, ubered him, didn't register. Does he have to be the first person I uber? Do I have to "Join Game" before starting TF2?

The axtinguisher is just awesome. I picked up that 6 axe kills in one life achievement during that last session we had on Love Me Sexy. It's easy to get carried away with it though. There's just something really satisfying about killing people with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom