• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0das

Banned
Orellio said:
Just on a guess, I'm gonna say either Demoman or Soldier. IMO they seem to be the classes that could use new weapons the most, now that Pyro is so crazy awesome.

Honestly, scouts need it more. They aren't that good against medics because of the blutsauger, pyros take way too many shots to kill now, and they're still difficult to use well against the usual suspects. Of course they could just nerf the backburner.

I have to say, the Axetinguisher is freaking awesome. All those medic and heavy combos that were pretty much invincible against pyros have to be a lot more careful now. It also compliments the flare gun well... catch someone on fire from afar, then run up to them and finish them off. Getting this thing made my day. :D

I'm guessing demoman is probably going to be absolute last to get an upgrade- even with all the stuff the other classes are getting they're still pretty strong. Either that or snipers (more because they aren't in harms way most of the time).

Firestorm said:
1 achievement away from Ubersaw. I should have it but House Call isn't working right at all -_-;

I entered the server of a friend, ubered another friend. PillowKnight says it doesn't work that way.
I entered another server of a friend, ubered him, didn't register. Does he have to be the first person I uber? Do I have to "Join Game" before starting TF2?
Yea, you probably have to join the game from steam, as opposed to joining a friend while inside TF2. Hence the "House call".

Scout's the next to get some loving. Look the scout's stats, also I rarely if ever see scouts anymore. The next patch will likely have scout anti sentry weapons, coupled with a few engineer buffs.

Twig

Banned
Finally unlocked the backburner last night!

I stand by what I said before, still. BB is better for offense, default weapon is better for defense, with its pyro punt.

Also, man, it's nowhere near as easy as I thought to get the backcrits. Awesome fun times, though!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
PillowKnight said:
Yea, you probably have to join the game from steam, as opposed to joining a friend while inside TF2. Hence the "House call".

Scout's the next to get some loving. Look the scout's stats, also I rarely if ever see scouts anymore. The next patch will likely have scout anti sentry weapons, coupled with a few engineer buffs.
Maybe we'll see the return of the nail gun.

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
Finally unlocked the backburner last night!

I stand by what I said before, still. BB is better for offense, default weapon is better for defense, with its pyro punt.

Also, man, it's nowhere near as easy as I thought to get the backcrits. Awesome fun times, though!

I've had to change my "holy crap it's a pyro, RUN" strategy at close ranges now that the back burner is out. In the past I would run away with my back to him to maximize speed, but now with the extra damage at range and the back crit attacks that would just be suicide. I usually have better luck running backwards (at a loss of speed and clipping things) while firing like a madman. I'll probably still die, but hopefully take the pyro out too.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
I've had to change my "holy crap it's a pyro, RUN" strategy at close ranges now that the back burner is out. In the past I would run away with my back to him to maximize speed, but now with the extra damage at range and the back crit attacks that would just be suicide. I usually have better luck running backwards (at a loss of speed and clipping things) while firing like a madman. I'll probably still die, but hopefully take the pyro out too.
Yeah, it definitely changes things. I think for the better, though!

I really want them to update the heavy next. But I'm sure it'll be one of the last updated. ):

Oreoleo

zer0das said:
Honestly, scouts need it more.

I was actually laying in bed last night thinking about this some more and realized scouts probably COULD use it the most. Aside from their speed they don't have too much going for them.

I got the backburner last night and its fucking awesome. I finally enjoy playing as a pyro, and feel like im actually contributing. Flare gun kinda sucks, but its fun to annoy snipers with.

A few people have mentioned that the Spy is supposedly the next class to get the update, and its already finished, they are just waiting to release it.

Twig

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Flare gun kinda sucks
WRONG.

Flare gun is superior to shotgun in every way! Yes, it's no good for getting points, but who cares about points. It's all about winning the round! The flare gun will make everyone but a pyro (and heavy) run for a medic (or health pack).

Could use a small boost in initial damage, maybe, but eh.

TheOneGuy said:
WRONG.

The flare gun will make everyone but a pyro (and heavy) run for a medic (or health pack).

Could use a small boost in initial damage, maybe, but eh.

True enough.

It is pretty sweet catching someone with a crit flare though, i have to admit.

Grifter

SuperEnemyCrab said:
A few people have mentioned that the Spy is supposedly the next class to get the update, and its already finished, they are just waiting to release it.

That will be the day I take up pyro.

How many "on fire" ticks do the flare and flame throwers last for?

zer0das

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:

It wouldn't surprise me if spies are next, since they're the ones most affected by the pyro update (increase in popularity more than the strength increase). But spies still have a few things going for them... chiefly they're invaluable at breaking sentry nests. And despite being weak they're still pretty fun to play and you can almost guarantee there's one or two players who are going to play spy on your team.

But the scout is rarely better than other classes and it is quite poor at supporting the other ones (except during a scout rush :lol ). A sentry stops a scout cold unless the engineer is away and the sentry placement is horrible. It feels like one byproduct of the pyro update is that there's more engineers because there is fewer demomen and soldiers, so it is murder being a scout. They're still somewhat good at the beginning of capture the flag maps, but after that it starts to suck... and they butchered well so that it is an engineer paradise instead of being a scout and engineer paradise (I liked the old well better :( ).

I can still gank medics as a scout, but it feels like I have to exert way more effort these days and chances are I'm going to die after that first kill due to the blutsauger and all the pyros running around. It takes like twice as many shots to deal with a medic/pyro combo as it used it. That's a lot of reloading.

I see about as many scouts as spies, but they seem to die stupidly fast. Granted the scouts I've run into aren't the best, but there are lot more maps these days that are not open. Anywho, scouts are a lot more work and aren't quite as fun as they used to be.

In other news, I got my Attention Getter achievement by hitting a cloaked spy about 20-30 feet away... it was pretty awesome. :D He cloaked in front of me and I guessed his trajectory and it hit, against all odds...

Twig

Banned
zer0das said:
But the scout is rarely better than other classes and it is quite poor at supporting the other ones (except during a scout rush :lol ).
Never understood this.

Scouts are invaluable for distracting the enemy. I know I'm not great at killing people with the scout (except on the occasional good day where I absolutely DOMINATE), but I also know that my hit and run tactics do more to break up and delay the enemy than if I stand in one spot as a heavy and spray a million bullets.

It's another case where points don't necessarily represent usefulness.

zer0das

Banned
I know the utility of a harassing scout, but the maps are pretty claustrophobic these days. Well was pretty much the textbook example of a great map for scouts, and now it's a nightmare for them. Gravelpit is a great map for harassment. I guess Badlands/Fastlane are okay, as is Granary.

Usually I'm good enough to wound anyone in a 1v1 and eat up a bunch of their time even if others are trying to kill me, so that when backup comes around they can finish them off easily. But I know 95% of the time that the team and I am better off when I'm a demoman. Or a soldier. Or a heavy...

notsol337

marked forever
TheOneGuy said:
Never understood this.

Scouts are invaluable for distracting the enemy. I know I'm not great at killing people with the scout (except on the occasional good day where I absolutely DOMINATE), but I also know that my hit and run tactics do more to break up and delay the enemy than if I stand in one spot as a heavy and spray a million bullets.

It's another case where points don't necessarily represent usefulness.

As a scout, I've drawn heavy/medic combos away from sentries by running through them.

Often even, so I've got to agree with Toggy here.

firex

Scouts right now seem to be like pyro was before the update: pushed into a weird niche that doesn't suit the offensive role. they are still great anti-snipers, and kind of good at ambushing on defense, but I swear in a balanced team they just aren't that good.

Twig

Banned
zer0das said:
Well was pretty much the textbook example of a great map for scouts, and now it's a nightmare for them.
Pff. Scouts can easily jump around on top of the boxes strewn about the middle of ctf_well.

Goldrush is also a good scout map, despite people thinking it's not. So many obstacles and places to hide/jump to that other classes can't easily reach.

There seems to be this misconception that scouts need wide open areas to be effective. I think it's quite the opposite.

LouieGeetoo said:
MicVlaDislookinggood_0000.jpg

Hm. Not looking good there.
I remember that moment. I think you got one of your achievements then. :[

Davidion

Ugh, scouts are not weak. Hasn't anyone played against Cheeto? Or Kak? Or Zer0? Or...a whole shitload of other people who are good scouts?

Bunny

i remember back in the old tfc days a scout could never go up against a heavy or soldier and win. nowadays you see it all the time because they're so fucking fast and their scatter gun is lethal at close range. scouts aren't weak.
i think the next update is going to be for the engy.

Vlad

I'm a little confused, here... people are complaining about scouts being weak... aren't they supposed to be weak? I always figured that they were meant to be the class that can't do a whole lot in the way of killing other players, but instead have to rely on their speed and agility to get to the objective quickly or make it hard to be followed?

Like TheOneGuy said about the Pyro's flare gun, it seems that you can be useful with the scout without actually earning points. On the maps where you're pushing the bomb along the tracks, I find that I can go scout, hop behind the blue team's lines and distract the entire team just by running around and swinging the bat. For some reason, even though the objective is nowhere near their base, it seems that most people feel compelled to drop what they're doing and chase me down.

Firestorm

Scouts aren't weak, it's just that in pubs, there are engineers everywhere and it's impossible to go through in most maps. I think it's a sure thing that there will be some sort of anti-sentry weapon added to the Scout. Maybe instead of the pistol.

No one's saying scouts are weak, in the same way pyros weren't weak-- they're nuanced.

Although, scouts are useless on most maps with tight quarters.

Bliddo

Firestorm said:
Scouts aren't weak, it's just that in pubs, there are engineers everywhere and it's impossible to go through in most maps. I think it's a sure thing that there will be some sort of anti-sentry weapon added to the Scout. Maybe instead of the pistol.
Probably a more precise pistol with more ammo, but no crits.

Twig

Banned
Bliddo said:
Probably a more precise pistol with more ammo, but no crits.
Hope not. That'd be boring. O:

I like where they went with the pyro's flare gun. Making new weapons instead of modifying old ones.

I was thinking more along the lines of a bat that temporarily disables sentries. Maybe just enables a permanent sapper effect that doesn't destroy sentries.

Firestorm

PillowKnight said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a bat that temporarily disables sentries. Maybe just enables a permanent sapper effect that doesn't destroy sentries.
The problem I'm seeing is getting close to the sentry in the first place. But something that disables them without destroying would be pretty cool.

For spy I'm really hoping for some new building destroying stuff. Maybe a dispenser disguise which would be awesome. As spy, I always concentrate on harassing engineers.

sonicspear64 said:
Anybody planning to get on the GAF server or Love Me Sexy anytime soon? Right now, I'm just checking out custom maps on random empty servers.
8 people on it now

Grifter

I love harassing engineers too, but haven't settled on a "best" method to attack when the engineer is hugging his sentry. If I stab him, sentry gets me before I can sap. If I just sap, he knows I'm a spy. If I sap and run, he can whack off the sap quickly.

Grifter said:
I love harassing engineers too, but haven't settled on a "best" method to attack when the engineer is hugging his sentry. If I stab him, sentry gets me before I can sap. If I just sap, he knows I'm a spy. If I sap and run, he can whack off the sap quickly.
If you have his back, stab then sap. If you can't get his back, sap then shoot. If there are multiple sentries you're screwed either way.

Capndrake

Spies better be next. If a Pyro catches you now you're 100% guaranteed dead. Previously you could get lucky with the revolver but that 50 HP boost makes that impossible now.

Grifter said:

sap, stab, sap again if necessary.

firex

Capndrake said:
Spies better be next. If a Pyro catches you now you're 100% guaranteed dead. Previously you could get lucky with the revolver but that 50 HP boost makes that impossible now.
I'm hoping next update is spy and sniper, just to get the sniper out of the way and to put in something for spies. More than likely it will be scouts though, since they seem to be putting out updates based upon least played classes.

Cheeto

Davidion said:
Ugh, scouts are not weak. Hasn't anyone played against Cheeto? Or Kak? Or Zer0? Or...a whole shitload of other people who are good scouts?
They certainly aren't weak, it's just that on Attack-Defend CP maps, they are mostly useless on offense. They are great for defense on said maps, and decent for Granary and Payload. I wouldn't say they useless or weak, they are just niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom