• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

I wouldn't mind spies getting EMP grenades to replace the sapper. No damage and you'd only get two or three per spawn, but they'd knock out engineer constructions for a few seconds within a small radius and no amount of wrenching would bring them back up early. Likewise, if a friendly spy EMPs enemy sappers, the sappers would be disabled for a bit, though the afflicted construction would naturally still be inactive.

Vlad

Bah, tried playing for a bit, and apparently my connection sucks tonight.

Is there any way to turn off those messages that show at the beginning of every match that tell you what you're supposed to be doing? They wouldn't be so bad if they actually went away in a timely manner, but often they hang around while you're trying to build up your Uber during the setup, or even after setup is over and you're trying to fight.

Sciz

Crashed hard, so I guess I'm done for the night. I'll reiterate that CTF_Well is actually fun and our servers should have it in the rotation.

Also the OCRemix guys are pretty fun to play with if there isn't a good GAF game going.

notsol337

marked forever
Sciz said:
I wouldn't mind spies getting EMP grenades to replace the sapper. No damage and you'd only get two or three per spawn, but they'd knock out engineer constructions for a few seconds within a small radius and no amount of wrenching would bring them back up early. Likewise, if a friendly spy EMPs enemy sappers, the sappers would be disabled for a bit, though the afflicted construction would naturally still be inactive.

EMP's are Engineer items sir.

If you don't think so, maybe you need to play more TFC!

Twig

Banned
Oh, man, that was awesome! MEDICCCCCCCC.

a5f2f35fd6731754b77738f2e31818c451f40f27.jpg

Sawbones
Hit enemies with your bonesaw 5 times in a row without dying or missing.

IT IS MINE. And it got me my ubersaw! We were playing on Dustbowl on the GAF server with only like five of us. I don't remember who was who, but I was all alone against a demoman soldier and pyro and bonesawed the demo and soldier twice each, then ran away for a health pack, ran up the pyro and bonesawed him for the achievement. Died immediately after, but it was awesome.

UBERSAWWWWW. <3 Three ubers in less than two minutes.

Also had some good times healing Sciz the heavy. WEEEEE. God I love this game.

Volcynika

Good matches tonight. Only got mildly annoyed when Rat Thing (not sure if he's a gaffer) said something like "don't you see the red cross, morons?" when I was the only medic on the team at that time.

:|

Sciz

TheOneGuy said:
My lives that game tended to fluctuate between dying ineffectually and murdering half the enemy team and all their toys. My thanks to you and Twig and whoever else was a medic. :lol

Can't wait for the heavy pack.

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
My lives that game tended to fluctuate between dying ineffectually and murdering half the enemy team and all their toys. My thanks to you and Twig and whoever else was a medic. :lol

Can't wait for the heavy pack.
I am Twig.

;_;

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Volcynika said:
Good matches tonight. Only got mildly annoyed when Rat Thing (not sure if he's a gaffer) said something like "don't you see the red cross, morons?" when I was the only medic on the team at that time.

:|

That guy was a fucking little bitch. I was going to say something but I figured since he had an avatar similar to your's he was a friend or something. Dumb logic, I know.

And if he *does* post here and reads this thread: stop crying you pansy ass.

My favorite moment of the night is when I snuck down to the bottom part of the final Dustbowl point and killed like 5+ people with stickies. Not a damn person looked down there after it and I was able to take out a sentry too :lol

Sciz

TheOneGuy said:
I am Twig.

;_;
Whoops. This is why I only use one name these days. I'm bad enough with them without trying to keep track of multiples for you people. :(

And the logic still works if you happen to have multiple personalities.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So I guess Rat Thing was whining to you guys a whole lot?

I think I'm gonna switch to pyro. Soldier is no fun when you can't play crazy-like.

It's okay guys. I pissed Rat Thing off so much later on by constantly killing him with the axtinguisher. I believe he started calling me "hacked rain" eventually.

fallout

fallengorn said:
God, yes. Apparently everyone was a retard on RED (us) because we couldn't cap the last point while most of the red team was dead.

CrookedRain said:
It's okay guys. I pissed Rat Thing off so much later on by constantly killing him with the axtinguisher. I believe he started calling me "hacked rain" eventually.
I felt kind of bad for starting that off with my: "CROOKED rain, indeed" comment.

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
I am Twig.

;_;

:lol :lol

Don't feel bad you're not the first to make the same mistake. Unfortunately I got dropped from LMS and the server wouldn't give me any response when I viewed the server info. Great gaming tonight guys.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
CrookedRain said:
He was whining so much that I couldn't help but try and chop him down every time I saw him.
:lol

Had lots of fun tonight. That last match was pretty crazy. Got my last upgrade for the pyro. Not really a melee person so I dunno if i'm going to use it(the axe). <3 flare gun

Javaman

fallengorn said:

I think I'm gonna switch to pyro. Soldier is no fun when you can't play crazy-like.

That was pretty fun switching back and forth as medic between you and Crooked (hacked LOL wtf) Rain while we were struggling to keep cp2 in Well away from red. I noticed that crooked was going to town on heavies that kept coming in on the left. He kept lighting them on fire from around the corner then dashing out with the axestinguisher. I think he nailed at least 3 heavies over time doing that.

I realized something pretty obvious. Normally the person attacking a turret gets pushed back and might have a hard time getting close to it. (Especially if they jump... Holy Flying ragdoll of death Batman!) If the medic runs in first with the uber already activated the sentry will completely ignore the attacker. Hell, even an ubered scout could probably take it out at that point.

I love this game to death but I play on 360 where there aren't a whole lot people online at a time. I was thinking about switching over to the PC version but was a little intimidated because I have never played a PC online shooter. For those who have played both, is the bar significantly higher in terms of the average skill level of other players? Are there a fair amount of noob-friendly servers where I could play?

I apologize for any stupid questions but I'd hate to buy a second copy of the game only to get destroyed and frustrated at every turn.

zoku88

Javaman said:
That was pretty fun switching back and forth as medic between you and Crooked (hacked LOL wtf) Rain while we were struggling to keep cp2 in Well away from red. I noticed that crooked was going to town on heavies that kept coming in on the left. He kept lighting them on fire from around the corner then dashing out with the axestinguisher. I think he nailed at least 3 heavies over time doing that.

I realized something pretty obvious. Normally the person attacking a turret gets pushed back and might have a hard time getting close to it. (Especially if they jump... Holy Flying ragdoll of death Batman!) If the medic runs in first with the uber already activated the sentry will completely ignore the attacker. Hell, even an ubered scout could probably take it out at that point.
Holy crap, nice observation. Being pushed back while ubered kinda sucks but if the medic is the one being pushed back, kekeke..

Javaman said:

Thanks for the healing even when I'm going nuts like that. :lol

Oreoleo

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I love this game to death but I play on 360 where there aren't a whole lot people online at a time. I was thinking about switching over to the PC version but was a little intimidated because I have never played a PC online shooter. For those who have played both, is the bar significantly higher in terms of the average skill level of other players? Are there a fair amount of noob-friendly servers where I could play?

I apologize for any stupid questions but I'd hate to buy a second copy of the game only to get destroyed and frustrated at every turn.

Given that it's a team game, even if you really really suck it won't really matter as long as the rest of the people on your team know what they're doing. It's not so much about being able to aim your gun in the right place as it is knowing what works where on what map (sentry guns, choke points, effective ubers, etc etc), so I would think any strategies you picked up on XBL would transfer over to PC fairly well.

I've never played the 360 version of TF2, but the PC version is undoubtedly more fast paced. Other than that, I doubt your noob-ness, so to speak, would have much effect on your enjoyment of the game.

Just make sure to take the time to set up your controls and mouse sensitivity to what feels comfortable for you. That will make more difference than anything, I think.

Firestorm

Hacked Rain and kakthecheater

Javaman said:

Yeah, that's why I usually run in front of whoever I'm ubering if there are sentries around.
TheOneGuy said:
Oh, man, that was awesome! MEDICCCCCCCC.

a5f2f35fd6731754b77738f2e31818c451f40f27.jpg

Sawbones
Hit enemies with your bonesaw 5 times in a row without dying or missing.

IT IS MINE. And it got me my ubersaw! We were playing on Dustbowl on the GAF server with only like five of us. I don't remember who was who, but I was all alone against a demoman soldier and pyro and bonesawed the demo and soldier twice each, then ran away for a health pack, ran up the pyro and bonesawed him for the achievement. Died immediately after, but it was awesome.

UBERSAWWWWW. <3 Three ubers in less than two minutes.

I got that today too =) Someone set a heavy on fire and I hit him like 7 times in a row as he was flailing around :D I got House Call today as well which was what got me my Ubersaw.

Javaman said:
Yes, you know you have a good medic when they take the sentry's attention for you during an uber. That happened to me last night, although I unfortunately don't remember who the medic was -- maybe TheOneTwigGuy.

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
Whoops. This is why I only use one name these days. I'm bad enough with them without trying to keep track of multiples for you people. :(

And the logic still works if you happen to have multiple personalities.
Yeah. Actually, I kind of want to change my GAF name to Twig to prevent further confusion! Don't want to change my Steam name because I've been using it for so long. D:

LouieGeetoo said:
Yes, you know you have a good medic when they take the sentry's attention for you during an uber. That happened to me last night, although I unfortunately don't remember who the medic was -- maybe TheOneTwigGuy.
It's important for the ubered-medic to stand in the way of the sentry while another person is attacking it.

Oreoleo

LouieGeetoo said:

Might have been me, I was following you around for most of Dustbowl giving you ubers.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah. Actually, I kind of want to change my GAF name to Twig to prevent further confusion! Don't want to change my Steam name because I've been using it for so long. D:
Be cool like me and change your steam name every other night.

Doytch

So I'm really diggin the Axetinguisher after last night. When you set people on fire, it's as if they feel compelled to kill you right away. So I just run away behind a corner and bring out the axe. I had a nice streak doing that on Dustbowl pt3 as blue.

Granary was also pretty good. It's definitely a lot better than it used to be, before the gates.

Won

Man the pyro vs spy thing is getting out of hand. It is already hard enough to get behind enemy lines, but now there is a pyro behind every corner that sprays randomly in the air, because his finger was itching. And even behind enemy lines I barely can do anything useful. I'm on fire, before I even can sap or stab something. :(

And Goldrush 1-2 needs a redesign. Still way to hard to win. Don't even know how part 3 looks like. ):

Grifter

Yeah, all the pyros force me to play way too carefully. Charging up cloak, running along walls. I mean, you should do that stuff but having to watch for it all the time kinda saps the fun.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That's what you spies get! :O There is no greater feeling than toasting a spy that has your own name. :D I'm not one for spraying around corners at random, but if I think that I see something out of place I'm torching it. I ran into one to many spies yesterday. Being back-stabbed is D:, especially if you are a sniper.

Won said:
Man the pyro vs spy thing is getting out of hand. It is already hard enough to get behind enemy lines, but now there is a pyro behind every corner that sprays randomly in the air, because his finger was itching. And even behind enemy lines I barely can do anything useful. I'm on fire, before I even can sap or stab something. :(
I still think Pyro needs an ammo nerf to 150 or 125. It's such a skill-less class when it's viable for them to just hold the fire button down any time combat might look remotely possible.

Twig

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
I still think Pyro needs an ammo nerf to 150 or 125. It's such a skill-less class when it's viable for them to just hold the fire button down any time combat might look remotely possible.
istockphoto_2547683_oh_no_you_didn_t.jpg

Doytch

No Means Nomad said:

Eh, wouldn't really make a difference for me, and most pyros I think. I only started running out of ammo when I used the CB when the patch came out. I'm back to never running out of ammo again, I try not to go under 100, even, which isn't hard when you always keep your health topped off.

Davidion

No Means Nomad said:
Be cool like me and change your steam name every other night.

You've confused me on several occasions. :lol

CrookedRain said:

Ugh, you and (I think) Confidence man have done that to me way too many times.

Javaman said:
Correct. I do it all the time whenever I can and I've had a few occasions where a Heavy or a Scout could destroy a turret simply by punching / batting it. Good times.

BarrelMakingPenguin said:

Huh? I have no trouble finding a game on the 360 at any time of day.

Anyway: if you aren't terrible on the 360, chances are you won't be terrible on the PC either as long as you get used to the mouse / keyboard configuration. Last week-end was the first time I played the PC version (after playing TF2 360 for well over a 100 hours) and I did pretty decent I thought, even if I say so myself. Keep in mind that there will be differences to certain classes that haven't made it over the Xbox 360 yet. The Soldier for instance has significantly less ammo (4/36 on 360, 4/16 on PC) and the Medic as well as the Pyro recently received significant upgrades. Some of the existing maps have also been altered: Well has different ammo / medkit placements and an extra staircase at the second base, Granary now has gates à la Dustbowl, Valve added a small ammo crate + medicapsule in each basement on 2Fort, et cetera. And I haven't even mentioned that there are a few new official maps (like Goldrush).

It'll take a while before you'll be accustomed to all these changes as well as the different type of controls, but you'll definitely have fun with the PC version once you get past these barriers. I know I did.

No Means Nomad said:
Reducing the Pyro's ammunition would hardly change anything, since it'd be easy for any decent Pyro to refill his flamethrower. Re-introducing the flamethrower's falloff damage is what needs to be done instead, in my opinion.

Won

Won said:

And Goldrush 1-2 needs a redesign. Still way to hard to win. Don't even know how part 3 looks like. ):

Have to quote myself. From max health down to 11 health in 1 second from an uncritted flamethrower on middle long range. While busy with a sentry instantly backburned.......

/cry

And with 3 rounds of Goldrush we only saw part 2 once. But I'm pretty sure they are working on it. Still....

pl_goldrush_deaths.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom