• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won said:
Have to quote myself. From max health down to 11 health in 1 second from an uncritted flamethrower on middle long range. While busy with a sentry instantly backburned.......

/cry

And with 3 rounds of Goldrush we only saw part 2 once. But I'm pretty sure they are working on it. Still....

I don't know if it was lag or what, but I saw you activate or come out of stealth a lot today.

Graphs that don't match AKA why fire lasts way too long:
damagedealtofalldamage.png

avgpointshour.png

Doytch

Why don't those match? Everyone's been playing Pyro recently, and most of them are trying it out for the first time, or it isn't their main, meaning their points aren't high.

I like how you conveniently left this graph out...

totaltimeplayedbyclass.png

What seems so wrong about dealing under double the percentage of damage of rockets when they are getting over double the playtime as soldiers?

Doytch

CrookedRain said:

What seems so wrong about dealing under double the percentage of damage of rockets when they are getting over double the playtime as soldiers?

Oh damn, I love the Spy "time played". Everyone's staying the hell away from that class until Pyro lust dies down.

Volcynika

Cool games guys. Dustbowl was almost won for the blues!

Also, my name is pronounced with the use of cynical, so Volcynika. I was just seeing how long it would take someone to get it right :lol

Lhadatt

Orellio said:
Man it sucks when Javaman leaves and 2/3rds of the server empties out in 5 minutes.
"First one to leave" syndrome. Hey, I got work in the morning.

Also, my name is pronounced with the use of cynical, so Volcynika. I was just seeing how long it would take someone to get it right
lol volcanika

After running into heavy and medic combos all the time, I just had to switch to sniper to defend that last point on the last stage of dustbowl. I ended up dominating 5 people after that and I noticed that kaktheinfected switched off of heavy and all the snipers on the other team disappeared. :D

notsol337

marked forever
CrookedRain said:
After running into heavy and medic combos all the time, I just had to switch to sniper to defend that last point on the last stage of dustbowl. I ended up dominating 5 people after that and I noticed that kaktheinfected switched off of heavy and all the snipers on the other team disappeared. :D

Every time I'd get lined up on you someone would jump into my scope and you'd shoot me!

You crafty bastard :lol

notsol337 said:
Every time I'd get lined up on you someone would jump into my scope and you'd shoot me!

:lol
It has gotten a little harder to hit people with teammates running around on fire all the time.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
notsol337 said:

Yes! That shit happened to me a lot. Didn't help that aside from a couple of rounds, it was fail hard osg day. :| I had a bunch of people lined up with the laser dot right on their heads and either a maniac pyro jumped in the way and ate the bullet, or a maniac pyro torched me to death. :(

And then the spies. :(

Lol @ volcanika

notsol337

marked forever
I'm getting to the point where I spend like... 70% of the time playing just annoyed, so I'll probably take a break from tf2 for a few days.

Just gonna toss this out there... pyros are annoying as hell now new update please.

Oreoleo

If you're getting annoyed, take up a different class. I can bust some ass as Medic or Pyro but if you're not playing to your own expectations it gets tedious. That's why I've been switching it up lately with Engineer, Spy and to a lesser extent Demoman. I mostly suck as those classes but I expect to suck so when I do well it's exhilarating :)

CrookedRain said:

My point is that fire is nothing more than a nuisance really, and it just makes the game more aggravating to play. When the flamethrower does that much damage but still doesn't gain very many points it's because it's just a slow burn on someone.

And rocket launcher damage is kind of flubbed because of crit rockets.

Volcynika

CrookedRain said:

I sniped you though!

Only once...

Vlad

TheOneGuy said:
Points aren't Everything!

Exactly.

A lot of the Pyro's benefit comes from being a general pain in the ass and counter-spy measure. A Pyro might not be able to take out a whole lot of people, but jumping into the middle of an offensive push and lighting everybody on fire will either cause them to have to stop and regroup, or just soften them up enough for other defenders.

firex

I pretty much play pyro the way it was intended now: ambush, and I also will specifically go after medics/snipers, and obviously kill spies.

notsol337

marked forever
Orellio said:
If you're getting annoyed, take up a different class. I can bust some ass as Medic or Pyro but if you're not playing to your own expectations it gets tedious. That's why I've been switching it up lately with Engineer, Spy and to a lesser extent Demoman. I mostly suck as those classes but I expect to suck so when I do well it's exhilarating :)

I'm annoyed because I spend so much time on fire... and there's only one class that doesn't burn.

Volcynika

Vlad said:
Exactly.

A lot of the Pyro's benefit comes from being a general pain in the ass and counter-spy measure. A Pyro might not be able to take out a whole lot of people, but jumping into the middle of an offensive push and lighting everybody on fire will either cause them to have to stop and regroup, or just soften them up enough for other defenders.

Right on. Sometimes I don't even have a goal besides to screw around with the other team. And it works.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Volcynika said:
Right on. Sometimes I don't even have a goal besides to screw around with the other team. And it works.

Yep. Medics get top priority for me too. Its also hilarious to see people panic when they see nothing but flames heading toward them. Its like, "Get hhhhiiimmm" and they end up ignoring the real threat. Might seem crazy, but, I'd rather die getting shot by the heavy, then ignoring them both and letting the medic go uber.

Volcynika

Oldschoolgamer said:
Yep. Medics get top priority for me too. Its also hilarious to see people panic when they see nothing but flames heading toward them. Its like, "Get hhhhiiimmm" and they end up ignoring the real threat. Might seem crazy, but, I'd rather die getting shot by the heavy, then ignoring them both and letting the medic go uber.

Even if you can't get the medic, if you get them to waste their uber early, always helpful. Also, it's hilarious to mess around with people with the air compression blasts.

Wow, after switching back to the shotgun on well, I really don't know whether to use the shotgun or flare gun. They are both very useful for different reasons.

Sciz

CrookedRain said:
Wow, after switching back to the shotgun on well, I really don't know whether to use the shotgun or flare gun. They are both very useful for different reasons.
I haven't been able to warm up to the flare gun, myself. Pegging snipers is fun, but aside from that the shotgun just packs a better punch at reasonable engagement ranges. Plus I need something to blast enemy pyros with.

fallout

Ysiadmihi said:
I really doubt anyone posting in this thread would know the answer to that question.
Honestly, I had to think for a second if Valve released TOB on the PS3 or not. Then I remembered the outsourced-port bitching. And something else about Valve hating PS3. I dunno, it's all sort of a blur.

Cool that EA has servers, though.

firex

Sciz said:
I haven't been able to warm up to the flare gun, myself. Pegging snipers is fun, but aside from that the shotgun just packs a better punch at reasonable engagement ranges. Plus I need something to blast enemy pyros with.
I'll probably go back to the shotgun after I get that flare gun achievement, since I still haven't gotten it.

Sciz

I dunno, as far as heavy/medic action shots go, that one looks great. Not sure what the heavy is looking at though. :lol

v7gv2f.jpg

Whoaaaaaaaaa is the best custom map ever!!!! :lol

14ax5ye.jpg

Different take on Payload for this map. You have to get the yodeler up the mountain. He even yodels when you're near him. :lol

alejob

I can't find any servers for TF2 on PS3. I aslo cannot createa server. What is going on? Anyone else having problem or is it just me?

DyTonic

Banned
alejob said:
I can't find any servers for TF2 on PS3. I aslo cannot createa server. What is going on? Anyone else having problem or is it just me?

Someone else has this problem, it could be that they are updating stuff atm..

Q: now that I've purchased Team Fortress 2 (disc version), where do I go from here? I know how to install the game obviously, but do I have to pay attention to anything in particular if I don't want to lose the progress (achievements et al) I've made during the previous free weekend?

Also: I'm going to re-format my PC one of these days once I get the money to buy an upgrade or two, so I'd like to know if there's a way to keep the aforementioned progress afterwards.

Twig

Banned
MicVlaD said:
Q: now that I've purchased Team Fortress 2 (disc version), where do I go from here? I know how to install the game obviously, but do I have to pay attention to anything in particular if I don't want to lose the progress (achievements et al) I've made during the previous free weekend?

Also: I'm going to re-format my PC one of these days once I get the money to buy an upgrade or two, so I'd like to know if there's a way to keep the aforementioned progress after the deed has been done.
It should all be linked to your Steam account, saved on Valve's servers. You migh tlose progress on achievements like "do 1,000,000 damage". I think if you just save your entire TF2 folder, that should work. That data is stored... somewhere, I dunno.

Capndrake

Finally got 1 million burn damage earlier today as Pyro, meaning I have all Pyro achievements. Took me a total of 42 hours D:

EDIT: And the Heavy is apparently next to get stuff, because the French, German, Spanish and Russian game sound files have new Heavy quotes which have him talking about new weapons: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698301

He's also getting new lines for switching to melee, attacking with melee, killing a medic healing somebody and a few which have him asking his medic to follow him.

Doytch

Not surprised about Heavy. Really underplayed class, and he can get absolutely wrecked in 1v1 by a tonne of classes.

Let's get a game going tonight, too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom