• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person that thinks something has to be done about engineers. Sentries are just too powerful, they are usually built in bulk so you may have from 2-5 covering one cp, int etc.

Won

So how are the chances for the GAF server to go pub, now that Love Me Sexy shuts down? :(

MrPing1000 said:
Am I the only person that thinks something has to be done about engineers. Sentries are just too powerful, they are usually built in bulk so you may have from 2-5 covering one cp, int etc.

They deal good damage and can be easily destroyed by a Demoman even without an Uber. Uber a Demoman or Pyro and they destroy most sentry nests.

Imo they are fine. But yes it is too hard (read impossible) to destroy a sentry as a Spy, one of the counters, if they come in groups. :(

firex

MrPing1000 said:
I find, like most things on 32 player servers, a lot of engineers/demos on one team (especially a team playing defense) is about impossible to bust through. Demos at least can be killed, but if a bunch of engies put their sentries close by it can be tough to break them.

rakka

Won said:
So how are the chances for the GAF server to go pub, now that Love Me Sexy shuts down? :(
D: what, when?

and yeah, if it does i hope gaf server goes public so even when theres only a couple of us we can get a game going

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Played a few games today, it was nice to get owned by a few gaffers. I hope I did not too bad as a Medic, I remember strugling to follow capndrake in the Black Mesa map >_<.

I'll surely play regularly this week, so I hope to see you all in the game!

Sniper needs to get a boomerang and I want my "meet the medic video"

rakka

^ that sucks... :\

Mistouze said:
Played a few games today, it was nice to get owned by a few gaffers. I hope I did not too bad as a Medic, I remember strugling to follow capndrake in the Black Mesa map >_<.
that map is so weird

Ysiadmihi

Banned
MrPing1000 said:

That's why ubercharge is in the game. An ubered Demoman = dead sentries.

Sciz

MrPing1000 said:
One or two are fine. Three or more covering the same space with remotely competent backup from the team isn't impossible to break, but it's extremely frustrating and not at all fun.

rakka said:
Underplayed maybe (which isn't a bad thing :D) but I wouldn't say he's underpowered :p
This.

2z3q73t.jpg

33 kill spree, 41 point life on Dustbowl part 3.

2wnmnsz.jpg

Goldrush, mostly heavy with a bit of demo and sniper when necessary.

I have no objections to being powered up even more, but it doesn't often feel necessary. :D
</gloatmode>

If there are enough people like you to make a blip on Valve's radar, they'll make changes. They would know if there is a huge advantage to heavy compared to other classes through their stats and player feedback.

The dual class update release wouldn't be a surprise since they're learning from player feedback. Medic achievements were apparently too hard to get 100%, retroactively made it the same as pyro. If enough people complained about pyro saturation from these past few weeks, they'll do something about the subsequent releases.

firex

I'm just hoping against hope that we don't get demoman or sniper individually... especially sniper. That's one class I would achievementbox in a heartbeat just so I wouldn't feel compelled to play it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I can't wait for the Sniper to get his new toys. :D

Oh, and Damn you Volcynika! I had forgotten to switch back to the flare gun and walked into your damned rocket. :(

Volcynika

Oldschoolgamer said:
I can't wait for the Sniper to get his new toys. :D

Oh, and Damn you Volcynika! I had forgotten to switch back to the flare gun and walked into your damned rocket. :(

:D

I gotta say I really love the reflection technique of the pyro's flamethrower, I killed a person or two with some reflected rockets. I remember jumping into a group of the opposing team on fastlane and burning everyone, Java was like "You.....are a bad man, volksklf, whatever the hell you are."

Javaman

Volcynika said:
:D

I gotta say I really love the reflection technique of the pyro's flamethrower, I killed a person or two with some reflected rockets. I remember jumping into a group of the opposing team on fastlane and burning everyone, Java was like "You.....are a bad man, volksklf, whatever the hell you are."

I didn't see the outcome, but as I was running past a doorway I saw you leap into that huge group of 5 or 6 people without slowing down. There needs to be a salute button. LOL

n0b

Sciz said:
"Underplayed maybe (which isn't a bad thing ) but I wouldn't say he's underpowered :p"
This.

I have no objections to being powered up even more, but it doesn't often feel necessary. :D
</gloatmode>
The heavy is definitely not overpowered though, its just that most people don't know how to approach the situation. An unsupported heavy is almost always a sitting duck, they have no long range capability so they are easy pickings for snipers or any attacker with a brain(I've taken out plenty with just the pistol), they are ridiculously slow, they draw tons of fire, and since valve is probably going by average stats, most people have no idea how to play the class.

Also, thats all you got? :p

Dina

I hope the next update will include 1 or 2 good community maps as well. Fastlane is so very awesome, it's my favorite by far.

Dina said:
I hope the next update will include 1 or 2 good community maps as well. Fastlane is so very awesome, it's my favorite by far.

Turbine is poo though, at least in it's current form. It's just far FAR too easy for engineers to lock it down. That raised platform on the left tunnel has got to go and they need to add at least one more access point.

Fastlane is probably my favourite map now, although Granary is still awesome it doesn't seem to get played as much.

It seems impossible to play a good game of gravelpit or hydro these days. :(

Either way, fun games last night. Evenly matched teams made for some good fun.

Can't believe LoveMeSexy is shutting down--it's been crazy active for the past week, definitely more than it ever has. Too bad the GAF server is being run like it's a CS server--there's lot of potential there.

Davidion

sonicspear64 said:
Me, MicVlaD, dygiT_^, Twig, and some others are on the GAF server now. Join us!! :D

EDIT: Twig hates us. I thought he was gonna join. :(

Dude, I'm at work. Are you guys all in Europe or something? :lol

Dina

MrPing1000 said:
Turbine is poo though, at least in it's current form. It's just far FAR too easy for engineers to lock it down. That raised platform on the left tunnel has got to go and they need to add at least one more access point.

Fastlane is probably my favourite map now, although Granary is still awesome it doesn't seem to get played as much.

Yeah, Turbine is way too susceptibel to stalemates.

Vlad

What's the purpose of those user groups? I joined the NeoGAF one, assuming that it'd be an easy way to see who's online and where, but I couldn't find any option to sort/filter the list by who's online or what game they're playing. My only option seems to be to just browse through the entire (rather large) group and look for the people highlighted as being online.

Is McVlad a GAFer? Saw him online last night.

+ Unlocked ubersaw after new achievement count kicked in
+ Fastlane rocks

Any tips for playing soldier? I'm trying it out recently but the 4 rocket ammo seems so low! I seem to switch to shotgun often since I always run out of rockets so soon.

edit: I don't like the new Granary at all. The fun of it was the race to the middle cap point. Now with the gates the pace of the map seems off.

Doytch

edit: I don't like the new Granary at all. The fun of it was the race to the middle cap point. Now with the gates the pace of the map seems off.

You're crazy! :lol

Vlad said:
What's the purpose of those user groups? I joined the NeoGAF one, assuming that it'd be an easy way to see who's online and where, but I couldn't find any option to sort/filter the list by who's online or what game they're playing. My only option seems to be to just browse through the entire (rather large) group and look for the people highlighted as being online.

It's useful when I want to ID people, and it was good at the start to add people, too.

Volcynika

omgimaninja said:
Is McVlad a GAFer? Saw him online last night.

+ Unlocked ubersaw after new achievement count kicked in
+ Fastlane rocks

Any tips for playing soldier? I'm trying it out recently but the 4 rocket ammo seems so low! I seem to switch to shotgun often since I always run out of rockets so soon.

I'm fairly sure he's the one that posted just before you :p

Vlad

Volcynika said:
I'm fairly sure he's the one that posted just before you :p

Nope, I go by just "Vlad" in-game and on Steam. No clue who McVlad is.

omgimaninja said:

Haven't played too much soldier yet, but from what I've seen so far...

Make every shot count. The 4 rocket clip seems to be designed to discourage spamming. Don't just take wild potshots at the enemy unless you' think you've got a reasonable chance of getting a hit.

Aim for the floor/walls near enemies. It's been a good idea since the first Quake, and it still works. Hitting a moving target (basically anything but a sentry, sniper, or heavy) directly with a rocket is pretty tough, so try to get them with the splash damage.

Remember your team. You might think that the soldier is a pure attack class, but he'll still lose to superior numbers. Try to attack as part of a group. If nothing else, then there will still be other people attacking while you reload.

When attacking alone, I've had good luck with peeking around a corner, shooting off a rocket or two, then ducking back and reloading. Again, with the limited clip and slow reload, charging in by yourself will get you killed fast.

One thing to keep in mind is that an engineer can repair his sentry faster than you can destroy it by yourself. In a recent game, a medic and I were trying to assault a level-3 sentry, and even though I was ubered and unloaded all the rockets I could into the thing, the damn engineer was able to keep me from destroying it. However, none of my rockets were crits.

omgimaninja said:
Play it cool. It's natural to shoot out all of your rockets at once but hit at the feet everytime they're at the ground or nearly at it.

Don't forget to use walls for splash explosion and get good at shooting around them while hardly revealing yourself.

Always jump in close quarters combat before you shoot.

firex

Treat a sentry with an engineer like a heavy with a medic - aim for the dude behind the big target shooting at you. If you take out the engineer/dispenser then the sentry WILL fall, probably right after you reload.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try playing soldier a bit more to see if I can improve.

Just noticed both a Vlad and MicVlad posted on the same page. Now that's confusing :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom