• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

All a sentry farm is, is teamwork made simpler by the nature of Engineer's loadout. Fact is, all it really consists of is multiple people attacking/defending together; it just so happens that they're doing it with a static sentry setup instead of actively running around and aiming. While they're more monolithic and may be more intimidating at first, make no mistake that they're stationary, which is where group tactics and teamwork comes in.

Find me a team of good players in varied classes working in sync and I'll show you an infinitely more dangerous group of players than a bunch of engineers turtling behind a farm.

firex

personally I'm wondering where that update with the upgraded dispenser/teleporters went? I thought that was going to be something they could add in with a minor patch, where you'd be able to build those up to level 3 as well.

Javaman

Won said:
Yeah we lost focus there a bit. :D

They starting problem was a "sentry forest". A situation, where no matter what you do, a sentry will shoot at you and if ubered push you back.
I brought up the Gold Rush heat map, because it shows how big the "lockdown" effect is and if you look at the stats you see that BLU struggles big time to overcome it. And if you are able to finally get rid of one you bump into 2 other sentries and with all the metal, dispenser and other engineers around a level 3 sentry is back up in few seconds.

A Spy is useless in such a situation, so your only option is an Uber and that takes time...way more time to rebuild a sentry. There is imo a balance issue at the moment.

I think part of the problem with that map is just how freaking far you have to run to get back to the offensive lines. Without engineers keeping teleportals going there is no way to keep the heat on red. Afterall, they are just defending their spawn and barely have to go anywhere and have full health/ammo pickups just around the corner. With a constant stream of red coming out of their spawn and sentries acting as extra players, it's almost impossible to break through without a massive clump of allies. I'd like to see a more protected left path for the attackers where you have some cover against the constant masses of enemies at the cp point (we're talking Goldrush set 2 cp2 right?) . Maybe some piles of rocks or a ledge to hide/build behind. Snipers in the overlooking building/bridge could keep enemies back a bit and having two different ways to the final cp would help spread their defenses a bit.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
personally I'm wondering where that update with the upgraded dispenser/teleporters went? I thought that was going to be something they could add in with a minor patch, where you'd be able to build those up to level 3 as well.
I was thinking about that, too.

It sounded like a neat idea, but maybe it turned out too unbalanced?

Cheeto

You think I can get fired if I run a TF2 server in the lab at my office? I don't know, but I did it.

IP = 75.150.178.18:27015

It's running on a Compaq dual pentium3 with 512mb ram, and it seems to be running pretty stable to my surprise. I guess we'll see though when it gets real load. It running only default config and I doubt it'll change off dustbowl, but lets try to fill it up to test the load.

Firestorm

Cheeto said:
You think I can get fired if I run a TF2 server in the lab at my office? I don't know, but I did it.

IP = 75.150.178.18:27015

It's running on a Compaq dual pentium3 with 512mb ram, and it seems to be running pretty stable to my surprise. I guess we'll see though when it gets real load. It running only default config and I doubt it'll change off dustbowl, but lets try to fill it up to test the load.
yes I think you can. I remember the guys at school tried to run a Halo server in the games room and network admin came in within minutes and told them to stop. They WILL notice the traffic.

well I came closest I've ever come to winning goldrush cart nearly at the edge of the circle when the time run out.

I've never actually witnessed anyone winning it yet, I hear things explode.

firex

I've won goldrush a few times. 3rd stage seems much easier to push the cart forward and win, kind of like dustbowl stage 3 being a bit more balanced for offense/defense than stages 1 and 2.

it's hilariously awesome, though. You have maybe 5 seconds to get the fuck out of the area before it blows everyone sky high and kills them, kind of like when the bomb detonates in CS.

Cheeto

Firestorm said:
yes I think you can. I remember the guys at school tried to run a Halo server in the games room and network admin came in within minutes and told them to stop. They WILL notice the traffic.
I monitor the traffic.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Cheeto said:
I monitor the traffic.
155pdg7.jpg

Volcynika

Fun night!

Amusing things:

-My sentry was awesome at Badlands
-My sentry was awesome at Goldrush
-Sniping was fun, somehow clipped OldSchoolGamer by some act from the powers that be.
-Watching nob the heavy ride the cart on Goldrush 3 for like more than half the track :lol

Rat Thing was :lol too.

Davidion

Volcynika said:
Fun night!

Amusing things:

-Sniping was fun, somehow clipped OldSchoolGamer by some act from the powers that be.
-Watching nob the heavy ride the cart on Goldrush 3 for like more than half the track :lol

Yes, your sentry was awesome at goldrush...in that royal pain in my ass sorta way. :mad:

Fun night, though it feels like I've played all of a game and a half all night.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Volcynika said:
Fun night!

Amusing things:

:lol I was staring at my screen like, "wtf just happened o.0" You caught me in the leg and like through like two buildings or something. Awesome shot. :lol

I had a streak going earlier. I think I went close to 10-0 camped in the building just sniping people. I think either a pyro took me down or a spy.

That sentry was amazing. It took me like three tries before I finally took it down. Probably could have asked for a medic and waited for an uber, but, it was destroying my team mates. D: I think you put another one up too. lol You had them placed well, because geeze.

I saw nob. I shot Nob in the head. I didn't see the fifty medics, pyros, and soldiers walking behind him as he rode the little cart towards the goal. Needless to say that critical hit didn't do shit to stop him and I got promptly destroyed since I was so close. :lol

Rat Thing was :lol "omg team sucks. you suck guys. stop sucking." I was loling when someone got tired of him as was like "DUDE SHOW US HOW NOT TO SUCK." :lol

One thing I came away from todays matches with was a stronger hatred for spies. :mad: I died like four times in a row because nobody was spy checking. Good ass offense for sure. I get to comfortable in one spot and need to move around more, so thats on me, but yeesh. They were out in force today.

Learned how to play medic today. Fun stuff.

Javaman

Oldschoolgamer said:
One thing I came away from todays matches with was a stronger hatred for spies. :mad: I died like four times in a row because nobody was spy checking. Good ass offense for sure. I get to comfortable in one spot and need to move around more, so thats on me, but yeesh. They were out in force today.

Learned how to play medic today. Fun stuff.

I got you one time on Goldrush set1 cp2 on top of the bridge connected spawn/sniper nest. My one kill reign of terror didn't last long though since another sniper near you hacked me to pieces.

MrPing1000 said:
Has the new patch broke front backstabs again? I got faced stabbed twice yesterday, first time it's happened in ages.
Don't think so. I got stabbed in the front for the FIRST time ever last night on ctf_well with yall.

MrPing1000 said:
Has the new patch broke front backstabs again? I got faced stabbed twice yesterday, first time it's happened in ages.
They've been a little iffey for me lately. A few times I've gotten front stabbed and once or twice I've gotten them, and I don't even play much spy.

Cheeto

You guys are right, I shut down the server daemon at work. It's probably not very ethical to do something like that. It was surprising though, that ancient machine was able to handle serving flawlessly, with no stutter. Probably could have ran a couple server instances and still held up.

Twig

Banned
Have I mentioned before how much I love being an attack medic? :D

I feel bad though, when people like Won run by me on fire only to die but I'm busy bonesawing people.

Should I feel bad?

Won

No, but just remember, every second you waste as an attack medic you could do something useful for the team instead.

Firestorm

Won said:
No, but just remember, every second you waste as an attack medic you could do something useful for the team instead.
Like that time a few days ago I was healing you on that CTF map? We actually got the intel. I forgot the name of the map.

I shoulda just kept on you instead of running back as you held them off. Was one assist away from that medic assisting medic achievement :(

Volcynika

Pyroteknikz said:
Come on, it wasn't that epic, was it?

I was just trying to troll the kids, and it went too far.

I was :lol though. Diablo 3 art direction, PS3's games, graphics whores....it was like a living breathing messageboard!

Kade

Volcynika said:
I was :lol though. Diablo 3 art direction, PS3's games, graphics whores....it was like a living breathing messageboard!

Those guys insulting me stayed for a while after everyone left and started discussing RPG's on the PS2.:lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Volcynika said:

No kidding. I was half way to turning off the "enable voice" command and the lulz started.

Just saw this over at the steam TF2 forums :

Q. Some people are saying that the stickies for the demo are to strong. To the point where 3 stickies can remove a sentry, a dispenser and a full health Engie. Is this something that can/is being addressed or is it classed internally as “balanced”?

We agree that they’re a little too overpowered right now. In fact, internall, we refer to them as “winbombs”. We haven’t reached a decision on what we’ll change yet, though.
Demo nerf incoming?

Also, more payload!
Q. The payload map GoldRush seems to have gone down very well. Personally, I love it. However, what’s the chances or timelines for any additional PL Maps being released by Valve or is it down to the community to get some released?

It’s been great to receive such positive feedback on GoldRush, and that feedback made it really easy for us to invest in more. We’re already playtesting the next Payload map, and it’s likely it’ll be in the next class pack.

The entire Q&A : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699622

fallout

As much as I'm bored with Dustbowl, I'd really like to see a pl_dustbowl. I know it's not that different from goldrush, but I think it'd be interesting, with a few changes of course (similar to ctf_well).

Pyroteknikz said:
Come on, it wasn't that epic, was it?

I was just trying to troll the kids, and it went too far.
Oh, god. It was funny at first, but it didn't take too long to devolve into annoying bullshit. Worse yet, all_talk was on.

Volcynika

fallout said:
As much as I'm bored with Dustbowl, I'd really like to see a pl_dustbowl. I know it's not that different from goldrush, but I think it'd be interesting, with a few changes of course (similar to ctf_well).

Oh, god. It was funny at first, but it didn't take too long to devolve into annoying bullshit. Worse yet, all_talk was on.

There's a custom map that is a PL version of dustbowl. Kinda interesting.

fallout said:

There's a custom pl_dustbowl map out there. Its actually pretty neat! I guess the GAF servers don't have it, but it comes up from time to time on the ones I play on (the TeamFortress2Fort.com servers).

zer0das said:
Of all the things to complain about being overpowered, the mention stickies blowing up static defenses? Really? :lol
That seemed odd to me as well. If they're going to change anything i'd hope they lower sticky max damage but raise sticky min damage. That would be a good compromise.

Capndrake

The pl_dustbowl map is nice, but it's even harder to beat (As BLU) than Goldrush and normal Dustbowl. Stage 1 point 2 is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom