• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jirotrom said:
really, damn that sucks. my 9800 XT can do 1080p, not at the highest settings :lol :lol :lol

It can run highest for everything at 1650x1080 so you may not have to turn things down too much. Maybe med-high or high.

WTF, I bought the orange box edition, and have TF2 pre-loaded but it's saying I have to wait until the release date. Do you have to do anything special to get into the beta?

nix_nz

Neo Member
Anyone seen how this runs on a lower end graphics card like an X1600 at 1440x900? Really want to get it, but not sure how things will work out on my imac..

ex0du5

Banned
Jirotrom said:
really, damn that sucks. my 9800 XT can do 1080p, not at the highest settings :lol :lol :lol

If you're standards are low enough to think that the 9800XT runs it decently even at low 1080p settings, 1080p on high with the x1950pro should be fine.

mamacint said:
WTF, I bought the orange box edition, and have TF2 pre-loaded but it's saying I have to wait until the release date. Do you have to do anything special to get into the beta?
Nevermind, just re-started Steam and that did the trick.

Jirotrom

ex0du5 said:
If you're standards are low enough to think that the 9800XT runs it decently even at low 1080p settings, 1080p on high with the x1950pro should be fine.
I think my drivers are f'd, because the game was running the same at 1080p as it was at 1024x720.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP. I installed the new 7.9 drivers , and now the game looks and runs amazingly well. I'm running it at 1080p with nearly everything on high. Just no motion blur or 4xmsaa. and medium shadows.

traveler

Not Wario
Bebpo said:
Wait, wtf, ep2 & TF2 come out October 10th?!?

How did I not hear about this? I thought it was an X-mas title >_<

Err, do you not know what the Orange Box is? HL, HL2, HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2, Portal?

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Heavy Weapons + Constant Medic is pure chaos

4mml4is.jpg

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I wish Steam didn't have a propensity for crashing constantly on my computer. This game looks awesome.

PatzCU

Oh man, this game is amazing!

I'm getting some pretty noticeable screen tearing though... I have just about everything at low/off. Which option helps with screen tearing? I'm thinking Anthroscopic filtering but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Woo, man I love being the engineer.

Placing the teles in the best spots so the others can get back into the fight as soon as possible is great. Some guy playing a H.W. Guy even said "Whoever keeps putting up those teleports is awesome."

Making a little shelter with the maxed out gun and dispenser is awesome too.

spoon!

PatzCU said:
Oh man, this game is amazing!

I'm getting some pretty noticeable screen tearing though... I have just about everything at low/off. Which option helps with screen tearing? I'm thinking Anthroscopic filtering but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
vsync, usually.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Woo, man I love being the engineer.

Placing the teles in the best spots so the others can get back into the fight as soon as possible is great. Some guy playing a H.W. Guy even said "Whoever keeps putting up those teleports is awesome."

Making a little shelter with the maxed out gun and dispenser is awesome too.

+1 Playing engineer is so satisfying. Its also incredibly fun to place teleporter exits behind the enemy lines. On the opposite side of that, i hate it when there's 3 engineers on my team and im playing a soldier/heavy and not a single one of them places teleports.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Teknopathetic said:
I need to add more of you to my friend's list apparently :/.

My friends list went from 5 pre-TF2 to over 40. It's great getting in a game with GAFers or good people you've played with.

Stahsky

PillowKnight said:
+1 Playing engineer is so satisfying. Its also incredibly fun to place teleporter exits behind the enemy lines. On the opposite side of that, i hate it when there's 3 engineers on my team and im playing a soldier/heavy and not a single one of them places teleports.

First thing I do in every game, is toss an entrance right outside the spawn, run back, refill metal, then run off and toss an exit as close as possible to the objective. From there, I toss a dispenser nearby, and set up the turret. I try to keep the dispenser close, so I can keep the turret alive.

I then just chill out there, slug a few shotgun rounds every now and then, and wait for my team to either get owned, or push them back. As soon as they push them back, I toss the exit tele even closer, and re-setup shop.

But man, when the enemy finally realizes that I'm a problem, they all fucking spawn as spies and I have to run like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to keep all of my stuff alive (And killing those random spies with MY DAMN NAME STOP RUNNING AT ME AND THINKING I WON'T NOTICE IDIOT) and whatnot.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Trying to see how many people would be interested in a GAF clan for this... semi-serious.

Any takers? :lol

EvaPlusMinus said:
First thing I do in every game, is toss an entrance right outside the spawn, run back, refill metal, then run off and toss an exit as close as possible to the objective. From there, I toss a dispenser nearby, and set up the turret. I try to keep the dispenser close, so I can keep the turret alive.

I then just chill out there, slug a few shotgun rounds every now and then, and wait for my team to either get owned, or push them back. As soon as they push them back, I toss the exit tele even closer, and re-setup shop.

But man, when the enemy finally realizes that I'm a problem, they all fucking spawn as spies and I have to run like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to keep all of my stuff alive (And killing those random spies with MY DAMN NAME STOP RUNNING AT ME AND THINKING I WON'T NOTICE IDIOT) and whatnot.

WOW, thats *exactly* what I do. Except I normally set up my turret level it to lv 3 and go kill people.I only return to my turret when its under fire or were being pushed back. Ditto about the spies i dont let anyone near my turrets without a few shotgun shots to the head. Although sometimes in CTF I set up a a turret/dispenser/entrance teleporter camp near the enemy flag. This works great when your allies have the flag, because normally the room is empty. Then once the flag respawns you take the entrance teleporter and wala practically a free flag.

Speaking of which, what's up with the maps? Specially there only being one CTF maps..I really hope they realease more with the actual game, as unlikely as that is.

Zanboo im interested in a gaf clan , itd be great to get the gaffers playing together, normally when I join a games theres one or two of you and that's it.

8-bit

Banned
Haven't played it yet but from what i've read so far i wonder if the classes are balanced right ?
Is the heavy/medic combo invincible, can engineers with their turrets not be passed, are spies just a damn pain in the ass ?
Or is this just the normal chaos of a beta/demo and rock/paper/scissors is working perfectly ?

Ferrio

Banned
8-bit said:
Haven't played it yet but from what i've read so far i wonder if the classes are balanced right ?
Is the heavy/medic combo invincible, can engineers with their turrets not be passed, are spies just a damn pain in the ass ?
Or is this just the normal chaos of a beta/demo and rock/paper/scissors is working perfectly ?

With everything people said there's always a strategy to take it down.

Heavy/medics are really crazy. But all it takes is a spy to get behind them and stab the medic, or just anyone to flank them and kill the medic and it's over. Also a sniper can kill a heavy in one shot.

Engineer turrents are vicious, but again spies can take them down easy. A heavy+medic can take them down with a lot of bullets. Haven't attacked them with any other classes.

Spies are a pain (as you can see what they can do in the above illustrations), but unless you're a *good* spy you're easy to spot. Once you're spotted it's usually over.

Zoink

EvaPlusMinus said:
(And killing those random spies with MY DAMN NAME STOP RUNNING AT ME AND THINKING I WON'T NOTICE IDIOT) and whatnot.

It doesn't tell you your assumed name when you're disguised, at least I didn't notice it last night during my brief spy session. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the makeup of your team because if you know there's no pyros, for example, and you see a pyro on your team, well...shoot him. I'm not sure what name the spy gets, is it just a total random from the opposing team or is it limited to the same class?

Ferrio

Banned
Zoink said:
It doesn't tell you your assumed name when you're disguised, at least I didn't notice it last night during my brief spy session. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the makeup of your team because if you know there's no pyros, for example, and you see a pyro on your team, well...shoot him. I'm not sure what name the spy gets, is it just a total random from the opposing team or is it limited to the same class?

They get to pick what class. Then if someone on that team has that role they'll take their name. I've come across myself many times, each time it confuses me very briefly.

Stahsky

Ferrio said:
They get to pick what class. Then if someone on that team has that role they'll take their name. I've come across myself many times, each time it confuses me very briefly.

I always do a double-take when I end up looking at myself.

"There goes zergrusher9953, trannysurprise69, Starsky, Fl- Wait, what? I'm Starsky!"

Then I hunt him down 'till I kill him.

Note: I go by the name of Starsky or Stahsky in online games.

EDIT:

PillowKnight said:
Except I normally set up my turret level it to lv 3 and go kill people.

Well, I do that aswell, only I tend to keep as close as possible to my stuff. So lets say we are holding them up in a large hallway. I'll tend to peek in and fire a few rounds. But if it's a large open area, I'll stay close to my set-up so I don't get owned by a more offensive class, or a sniper.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Any aussie's currently playing ? Need to get some names down so i know who the heck would be playing at this time of night. I know of myself and spotless mind. So if anyone else is out there throw us a friend invite :D

Jirotrom

My headset broke guys... also my pc crashed tonight.. Ive spent the last 4 hours reformating and reinstalling drivers. Bad night overall...but TF2 looks gourgeous on my pc, I thought I needed a new graphics card:D

Hooker

Ferrio said:
Engineer turrents are vicious, but again spies can take them down easy. A heavy+medic can take them down with a lot of bullets. Haven't attacked them with any other classes.
Demo /w sticky-bomb. I haven't had a turret that didn't blow up with 2 perfectly placed bombs. (no idea if they were already damaged)

And the engine runs beautifully. 1920*1200 with everything maxed (including 16xQMSAA) at 60+ FPS. V-SYNC is enabled and no tearing whatsoever. Looks gorgeous!!

Snowball

Banned
I'm having problems with a permanent crash of HL2.exe file (using newest ATI drivers) and with a black menu with sound (using old ATI drivers.

Details HERE if you want to help a poor soldier. :(

I was on for about 3 1/2 hours last night, just could not stop playing. I would also like to play with some of you guys. My steam id is "BravoSuperStar"

(ya i know it doesnt match my GAF name, but my first two tries to get an account here didnt work so I said what the hell i'll give it one more try with this silly name, and guess which account gets approved, :D )

Pyro is the worst class I think. All his weapons are short range and underpowered. His best weapon, the shotgun is available to like 4 other classes. Flamethrower is crap. The tips say "as a Pryo you rush in and light everyone on fire" that's all well and good except nobody really dies from it they just retreat and find a health pack and it's all better.

They should make Pyro able to see enemy spies, that would balance the game out a bit I think.

Ferrio

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
They should make Pyro able to see enemy spies, that would balance the game out a bit I think.

That's a *horrible* idea. Like spies weren't easy to uncover as is. Just 1 pyro on a team would make them useless.

I do think Pyro needs something, a bit more damage or bit more range or a bit more speed. Any of those I think would help him.

Cheeto

ElectricBlue187 said:
Pyro is the worst class I think. All his weapons are short range and underpowered. His best weapon, the shotgun is available to like 4 other classes. Flamethrower is crap. The tips say "as a Pryo you rush in and light everyone on fire" that's all well and good except nobody really dies from it they just retreat and find a health pack and it's all better.

A pyro is for walling off choke points. That is their main purpose. Yes the burn damage is kind of weak and gives them time to find health. But a second or two of direct contact with the flame thrower kills most classes. I don't think it's underpowered at all.

Ferrio said:
That's a *horrible* idea. Like spies weren't easy to uncover as is. Just 1 pyro on a team would make them useless.

I do think Pyro needs something, a bit more damage or bit more range or a bit more speed. Any of those I think would help him.

Spies aren't easy to uncover. As a Spy I have a field day stabbing people in the back and immediately disappearing to redisguise myself.

As it is nobody plays Pyro unless it's their first time playing the game/class, it's a useless class in comparison to the others.

Cheeto

ElectricBlue187 said:
Spies aren't easy to uncover. As a Spy I have a field day stabbing people in the back and immediately disappearing to redisguise myself.

As it is nobody plays Pyro unless it's their first time playing the game/class, it's a useless class in comparison to the others.
I shoot every teammate running the wrong way, that's an easy way to spy check.

Again, Pyro is a highly specialized class. You need to basically camp around a corner in a tight area, it can be extremely effective in the right situation. Dustbowl for instance, the 2nd control point has two upper areas with one way gates. On the defensive side of those gates are great places for pyros to hide and immediately incerate anyone coming out of those gates. Basically the pyro at melee range will kill anything faster then any other class.

WhatRuOn said:
I shoot every teammate running the wrong way, that's an easy way to spy check.

Again, Pyro is a highly specialized class. You need to basically camp around a corner in a tight area, it can be extremely effective in the right situation. Dustbowl for instance, the 2nd control point has two upper areas with one way gates. On the defensive side of those gates are great places for pyros to hide and immediately incerate anyone coming out of those gates. Basically the pyro at melee range will kill anything faster then any other class.

I'm invisible when i'm running the wrong way :p

Demoman is why you can't camp choke points. Even if there aren't any demomen in the game Spies take care of anyone camping anything.

Cheeto

ElectricBlue187 said:
Demoman is why you can't camp choke points. Even if there aren't any demomen in the game Spies take care of anyone camping anything.
Demoman can't lob grenades without opening the gate first. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom