• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTallguy

Banned
finally got a chance to play last night.

Undeniably excellent game. It seemed slow at first, but then I got into the action... :lol

Valve am gods.

WhatRuOn said:
Again, Pyro is a highly specialized class. You need to basically camp around a corner in a tight area, it can be extremely effective in the right situation. Dustbowl for instance, the 2nd control point has two upper areas with one way gates. On the defensive side of those gates are great places for pyros to hide and immediately incerate anyone coming out of those gates. Basically the pyro at melee range will kill anything faster then any other class.

They don't though and thats why they need tweaking, they'll still lose to almost everything at point blank. U back away from them whilst shooting and they are fucked every time.

The fire damage over time effect from the Pyro needs to stack faster or do more damage per tick. Their problem is IMO one of damage and being able to kill as quickly as other damage-oriented classes.

Fragamemnon said:
The fire damage over time effect from the Pyro needs to stack faster or do more damage per tick. Their problem is IMO one of damage and being able to kill as quickly as other damage-oriented classes.

Yeah that would make them more effective. Even when I was ambushed by a pyro I could usually kill them before they killed me, or at least we kill each other.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Ferrio, Zanboo, Quellex...

...or anyone else able to run this at high res without a hitch: Do you mind sharing you specs including soundcard?

Slacker

Anyone have a detailed breakdown of how you get points? I know you get points for killing (obviously), and have heard you get extra points for revenge kills, rampages, etc. Anyone have the details?

140.85 said:

...or anyone else able to run this at high res without a hitch: Do you mind sharing you specs including soundcard?

Does 1680x1050 count as high res? I can run that max everything no problem. I don't have a 1080p display so I've never tried it.

Slacker

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does 1680x1050 count as high res? I can run that max everything no problem. I don't have a 1080p display so I've never tried it.
Can you press "tab?" Mine crashes if I run at 1680x1050 and try to check the scores. >__<

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I don't think i've been this instantly addicted to a game for a long time. Totally blown away my expectations.

Slacker said:
Can you press "tab?" Mine crashed if I run at 1680x1050 and try to check the scores. >__<

I am also running @ 1680x1050 and could tab fine, it did crash the first time i tried it, but worked fine after that.

running XP pro on a core 2 duo 6750, 2gb of crucial ballistix ram, 74gb raptor hdd, gigabyte p35 mobo, BFG 7950gt, using onboard azalia audio codec. Samsung 22 inch LCD.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
140.85 said:

e6750, 8800GTS 320, 2 gigs Ballistix, Realtek HD onboard (I've been too lazy to put in my Audigy 4 yet)

EDIT: Practically the same thing as SuperEnemyCrab :D

Thorhald

anyone else's tf2 stat page not accurate by any means?

My total play time of classes isn't even half of the time i played yesterday, plus the records seem old. Only the achievements are accurate.

Thorhald said:

My total play time of classes isn't even half of the time i played yesterday, plus the records seem old. Only the achievements are accurate.

I noticed that too today, it's borked. That's what beta is for, I guess? I lost most of my interesting stats and playtimes but kept random ones, lost a few achievements, and it says I played 17 hours yesterday (lol). Was closer to 6 or 7.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
ThaiGrocer said:
I hope they add more achievements throughout the follow years.

You know, I'm wondering if we're getting the full list anyways.

We might get more upon release, including leaderboards, etc.

Fragamemnon said:

I think the main problem is as a Pyro you're supposed to ambush a group of people and light them all on fire and then retreat. However, the flamethrower range is so small it's difficult to light people on fire that are more than 5-8 feet from you (since they are backing up when they see you) not only that but everyone who you're trying to light on fire are naturally going to try to shoot you in the process and unless (or even if) you have a medic healing you, you're going down fast.

and then to add insult to injury those you do light on fire are not likely to die from it. So it is in part a damage issue but also a health and range one as well.

Cheeto

Thorhald said:

I noticed it didn't track any of my dominations as Sniper.

Cheeto

RoboJ said:
Since we've lost infection, Pyro should be the class to step up into the old Medic's position.
I could agree with that.

Jirotrom said:
My headset is dead, I need recommendation on a good gaming headset, also do you think anyone will be pissed if I play the game online and can't communicate with them via headset?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836508101
You really can't go wrong with a Sennheiser in your price range.

1-D_FTW

ElectricBlue187 said:
I think the main problem is as a Pyro you're supposed to ambush a group of people and light them all on fire and then retreat. However, the flamethrower range is so small it's difficult to light people on fire that are more than 5-8 feet from you (since they are backing up when they see you) not only that but everyone who you're trying to light on fire are naturally going to try to shoot you in the process and unless (or even if) you have a medic healing you, you're going down fast.

and then to add insult to injury those you do light on fire are not likely to die from it. So it is in part a damage issue but also a health and range one as well.

Definitely the theory. Was in a game last night where a bunch of us were at a choke point and an enemy Pyro lit a bunch of my teammates on fire. There were 3 or 4 of them all screaming "Fire! Fire! Fire!" and I was dying from laughter. Probably my favorite moment of playing so far. Just this hilarious wall of people screaming "Fire."

Slacker

Jirotrom said:
My headset is dead, I need recommendation on a good gaming headset, also do you think anyone will be pissed if I play the game online and can't communicate with them via headset?
Nope, this isn't Xbox Live. I haven't heard too many people beeotch about non-headset users.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This respawn timer absolutely has to go. In a game as fast paced as TF2, it makes no sense to sit on the sidelines for 10-15 seconds after death. Instant respawn servers now, please.

bishoptl said:
This respawn timer absolutely has to go. In a game as fast paced as TF2, it makes no sense to sit on the sidelines for 10-15 seconds after death. Instant respawn servers now, please.

I agree, I stopped playing last night because of how long the timers were.

Also, spies are WAY overpowered. Take off the invis ability, and they'd be nearly golden.

Aegus

bishoptl said:

God no. Control Point maps basically descended into stalemates due to instant respawns. Think of dustbowl as Attackers. You just killed 2 HWGs and a someother class. 3 seconds later (if at last point) they're back on the field and you might as well not have bothered.

pxleyes

Banned
bishoptl said:

It is a server specific setting. Just go to a another one. I agree though. 5 seconds is actually a good timer to have so you don't have a constant meat shield coming in.

32 players PLEASE!

Aegus

RiskyChris said:
Also, spies are WAY overpowered. Take off the invis ability, and they'd be nearly golden.

And again no. Seriously if you aren't playing on an "FF On" server you might as well not bother being spy If you didn't have invisibility on. You'd get shot checked about 6 times before you even get near a sentry.

bishoptl said:

Totally. 5 seconds is the most I can tolerate.

Ferrio

Banned
RiskyChris said:
I agree, I stopped playing last night because of how long the timers were.

No way spies could survive without it.

-They need to be able to get behind enemy lies unnoticed. It looks way too suspicious if you see your own teammate run away from the battle at full health, there's no way you'd ever cross over unless it was the most retarded pub ever.

-In an organized team who knows each other and has voice chat it's very easy to pick out who's the spy when they're concealed, so invisibility might be the only damn thing that works.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ElectricBlue187 said:

Absolutely agree. Especially for open maps, Pyros are pretty useless.

Ferrio said:

-They need to be able to get behind enemy lies unnoticed. It looks way too suspicious if you see your own teammate run away from the battle at full health, there's no way you'd ever cross over unless it was the most retarded pub ever.

-In an organized team who knows each other and has voice chat it's very easy to pick out who's the spy when they're concealed, so invisibility might be the only damn thing that works.

Agreed.

I think the one balance spies could maybe use (and this is coming from somebody who plays Spy 95% of the time, I really like the class) is to make disguise not usable from invis. I.E., I stab somebody and pop invis to escape his buddies, make it so I can't reapply a disguise while invisible and then pop right back out. I'd probably prefer it if you had to apply a little stealthiness and find a safe cubby somewhere to pop out and redisguise outside of stealth.

Ferrio

Banned
ickingfudiot said:
Agreed.

I think the one balance spies could maybe use (and this is coming from somebody who plays Spy 95% of the time, I really like the class) is to make disguise not usable from invis. I.E., I stab somebody and pop invis to escape his buddies, make it so I can't reapply a disguise while invisible and then pop right back out. I'd probably prefer it if you had to apply a little stealthiness and find a safe cubby somewhere to pop out and redisguise outside of stealth.

I really don't see spies needing any adjustments myself. I think due to their annoying nature they're going to be picked on by people.

Ferrio said:
I really don't see spies needing any adjustments myself. I think due to their annoying nature they're going to be picked on by people.

I don't necessarily think they *need* an adjustment, I just think that'd be a palatable one if they were deemed to be too strong. I feel like the current balance works (especially on non-FF servers, you really have to play smart not to get shot checked by everybody you meet) but just tips in the favor of the spy since everybody is still learning the ropes. A good spy can wreak absolute havoc on against an uncoordinated team.

bounchfx

Ferrio said:

uh, I kinda disagree.

Mainly because I was a doofus and didn't even realize spies had cloaking until after a match or two.. and I was doing great as a spy.. wasn't that hard to hide behind a corner waiting for some of the other team to come around then follow them and pretend you are part of their team, getting heals before backstabbing them.

all without cloak.

however... once I learned about cloaking... >:)

Hooker

140.85 said:

Resolution: 1920*1200 - Everything is enabled and maxed, even sound.

QX6700
4GB RAM
8800GTX
Auzentech X-Meridian
2*74GB Raptors (RAID-0)

All overclocked and such, don't think it's needed for this game...

Ferrio

Banned
bounchfx said:
uh, I kinda disagree.

Mainly because I was a doofus and didn't even realize spies had cloaking until after a match or two.. and I was doing great as a spy.. wasn't that hard to hide behind a corner waiting for some of the other team to come around then follow them and pretend you are part of their team, getting heals before backstabbing them.

But see at that point you're just being defensive. So you stabbed someone attacking your base, big deal a heavy could take out all of them. Spies are suppose to be working inside enemy lines.

Coen

Wow, played a game with Friendly Fire turned on and it completely ruined it for me. Spies are impossible to uncover without blasting the shit out of your teammates.

Sanjay

GOTY for best multiplayer for sure. 1player so far its still is bioshock for me. to describe this game with only one word would be fun.

europe gaffers we need to arrange a tf2 for friday round 10pm if you can metal? i also need the achievement to play with friends so add me, sanjay.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Coen said:
Wow, played a game with Friendly Fire turned on and it completely ruined it for me. Spies are impossible to uncover without blasting the shit out of your teammates.

Yeah, I'd avoid FF servers like the plague.

Proven

fallengorn said:
Absolutely agree. Especially for open maps, Pyros are pretty useless.

In that case, You can think of Pyros as the opposite of Snipers. Snipers prefer open areas and Pyros prefer hallways with lots of quick and blind turns to hide behind.

in resposne to 140....

My laptop:

T2700 2.0 ghz
7950 GTX 512mb
2 Gigs of RAM
Whatever the onboard sound processor is

1920x1200
All graphics options high, vsync disabled
2x AA, 4x AF

runs like buttah

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MrCompletely said:
in resposne to 140....

My laptop:

T2700 2.0 ghz
7950 GTX 512mb
2 Gigs of RAM
Whatever the onboard sound processor is

1920x1200
All graphics options high, vsync disabled
2x AA, 4x AF

runs like buttah

What's your 3dmark06? I've got pretty much the same rig except E6700 2.66 and 4 gigs of ram. Haven't tweaked the options as I only played for a few minutes yesterday but if I can get it to run like that great--guess my new 7950 will just help out with Crysis.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
pxleyes said:
It is a server specific setting. Just go to a another one. I agree though. 5 seconds is actually a good timer to have so you don't have a constant meat shield coming in.

It's not a server specific setting. A cvar for the value doesn't even exist. It's hardcoded.

AstroLad said:
What's your 3dmark06? I've got pretty much the same rig except E6700 2.66 and 4 gigs of ram. Haven't tweaked the options as I only played for a few minutes yesterday but if I can get it to run like that great--guess my new 7950 will just help out with Crysis.

I actually haven't run 3dmark on this system yet... it's fairly new, been lazy about downloading it.

Tried the Crysis beta this morning and I was getting all types of weird artifacting.

if they take the respawn out i think i would stop playing.

seriously. do NOT take it out.

you are supposed to be punished for dying you know that right? if as a spy i take out a turret then the engineer, i dont want to immediately have said angry engineer in my face about to kill me! there NEEDS to be some downtime there and i think they have got it more or less right.

also pyro is fine if anything i would add more to speed so it can dash around lighting things on fire better.

but do not remove the respawn timer!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom