• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

LouieGeetoo said:
Yes. I walk out from my dispenser-sentry spot with the intention of repairing my teleporter exit on the bridge. I see something out of the corner of my eye, but it has red clothes so I don't turn immediately. Before I can, I spot Volcynika at the base of the ramp right as he headshots me. Sciz proceeds to sap my stuff and the two of them cap the point. Amazing. :lol
There was some unfortunate pyro guarding the point who was dispatched in a similar fashion, to boot.

Won said:
So the Spy has now an "animationless" taunt while he is disguised? Awesome!
Yep. The fun thing about it is that they don't seem to have capped the amount you can rotate the camera vertically during the taunt, so you can make the camera go completely upside-down, or at any other angle you can think of.

And EuroGAF, it's fun to have you guys around in the evenings, but get some sleep. :lol

Davidion

Oldschoolgamer said:
Me and Capndrake just played with the worst engies ever. :lol

ooooh, do tell.

I'm always fascinated by engies who can potentially worse than I am, as it doesn't happen very often.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Davidion said:
ooooh, do tell.

I'm always fascinated by engies who can potentially worse than I am, as it doesn't happen very often.

They built absolutely nothing. I'm sure it was on purpose. We had no teleporters and no sentries in the hall of death. For a moment they set some up, then they got destroyed and they rebuilt them inside the spawn point. Nowhere near the intel.

Capndrake

Oldschoolgamer said:
They built absolutely nothing. I'm sure it was on purpose. We had no teleporters and no sentries in the hall of death. For a moment they set some up, then they got destroyed and they rebuilt them inside the spawn point. Nowhere near the intel.
I attempted (And succeeded) to get at least one cap by repeatedly sacrificing myself as spy to drag the enemy intel closer and closer but the endless spam by Demos, Soldiers and Pyros destroyed us soon after :(

Oldschoolgamer

Capndrake said:
I attempted (And succeeded) to get at least one cap by repeatedly sacrificing myself as spy to drag the enemy intel closer and closer but the endless spam by Demos, Soldiers and Pyros destroyed us soon after :(

Dude, I know. :lol That was awesome as hell too.

I tried hard as I could with the medic, but so many flames, rockets, and grenades were sent flying in our direction. It was a sad day for everyone. :(

How did your team mess up that bad on goldrush? We were getting slaughtered in the beginning, but you all let us move up. Then the other engie and myself set up camp right in front of your base. :lol

Capndrake

Oldschoolgamer said:
How did your team mess up that bad on goldrush? We were getting slaughtered in the beginning, but you all let us move up. Then the other engie and myself set up camp right in front of your base. :lol
What stage/point? I was playing Engineer myself as well through all three rounds of defense (And a bit of Sniper in the first round) so I didn't see. (I did end up with the highest score on my team at the end though)

Oldschoolgamer

Capndrake said:
What stage/point? I was playing Engineer myself as well through all three rounds of defense (And a bit of Sniper in the first round) so I didn't see. (I did end up with the highest score on my team at the end though)

Third maybe? The one where the bomb blows up the base.

Yeah, yesterday wasn't... a very pleasant day for me.

1) We had approximately 10 GAF members in one of the Sexy servers, but then Blood suddenly rebooted the server and annoying random people quickly repopulated it.
2) As a result: had to switch to the other server where I had an even higher ping. Do not want.
3) After a while, another flock of shitty randomers joined. With juvenile sprays to boot.
4) Didn't take long until Castle came up over there. Gawd I hated that map (should be significantly smaller), almost as much as Cave.
5) What made that map even worse: not one, but TWO Civilian Heavies.
6) Kept being heckled by snipers. All the time. Not cool.

At least I had fun with a Heavy spree (Sciz also participated before he switched to the Medic) on Turbine:

3465ovp.jpg

Oh, and another highlight for me yesterday was shoveling Rakka when he was a heavy. Four times.

celpacius said:
so i just bought this game off of steam.

and i am liking it but not that much. part of the reason im not liking it as much is that i dont like playing fps with the wasd keys and the mouse. and in steam, it clearly states that this game supports a gamepad.
How about using the arrow buttons then instead of the wasd keys? I hate using those too and I played the game on the Xbox 360 before I bought it again for the PC, but I'm doing fine with the arrows.

Volcynika said:
McVlad hunted me down so much at the end of one of the goldrush rounds, everywhere I turned, he blew me up. He had to get his revenge. D:
I enjoyed every second of chasing you down. Originally I wanted to shovel you, but I didn't want to take any chance and fuck up.

Davidion said:
Wait, MicVlad is European? I've seen him playing TF2 after 8pm eastern time which means...he's playing this at 2-3 in the goddamn morning.

Might need an intervention. :lol
Yes, yes I am. Stayed up 'til 7 AM yesterday.

BUT EVERYONE LEAVES WAY TOO EARLY! :[

dionysus

Yaldog
Have yall missed me? I've been out of the country for 6 weeks. My triumphant return is nigh! Achievement whores still ruining the game?

Capndrake

God I love Spy capping Dustbowl level 3 point 2. Especially when it's almost done and an angry horde of REDs comes at me from around the corner :lol

Oldschoolgamer

Capndrake said:
God I love Spy capping Dustbowl level 3 point 2. Especially when it's almost done and an angry horde of REDs comes at me from around the corner :lol

That was a swift and badass play. I fucking saw you and tried to bring up the talk menu and just when I hit 2 to yell spy, you had backstabbed me and shutdown the sentry in like a split second. There isn't a facepalm big enough to show how I looked when it happened. :/

Twig

Banned
dionysus said:
Have yall missed me? I've been out of the country for 6 weeks. My triumphant return is nigh! Achievement whores still ruining the game?
Always.

I don't think we'll ever see the medic brigade come to an end.

Twig

Banned
fallengorn said:
I will forever associate the beginning of that song with picking a class.
Yeah, it's pretty much gotten to the point where if I play on another server and DON'T hear the song, it feels wrong. But I often can't place WHY it feels wrong. I just know something's missing. Something important.

Davidion

Hey guys, I'm still stuck at work, it's been a shitty ass day...

Could one of you people beat/shoot/burn/blow up/generally punish the living shit out of someone (Twig is good candidate) in the games tonight?

Thanks everyone.

Sciz

My thanks go out to everyone who helped me get a 48 point, 36 kill spree as heavy on Turbine earlier, whether you were healing me or making futile suicide runs to grab the dropped intel I was guarding. I quite enjoyed it. :D

Chris R

So I'm good with the pyro, medic and sniper, but suck with every other class :(

Scout is good for running the suitcases, but I can never kill anyone with it
Soldier is just too slow for me, can't hit everyone with my slow ass rockets
Demo (no comment)
Heavy is ok, but I find I run out of ammo way too quick
Engi I can do ok as just trying to place my shit in the same place I've seen others put them at
Spy seems like everyone knows I'm a spy and kills me before I can backstab anyone

HALP

Sciz said:
My thanks go out to everyone who helped me get a 48 point, 36 kill spree as heavy on Turbine earlier, whether you were healing me or making futile suicide runs to grab the dropped intel I was guarding. I quite enjoyed it. :D
Impressive, I likely added a few deaths to that count.

Oldschoolgamer

Fun stuff. Volcynika was pissing off a lot of people today. :lol :lol All there was "Boom headshot" "Headshot" "Headshot" "shot in whatever". :lol I can hang with him when there aren't two other snipers I have to pay attention :/. That happened on well (IIRC) earlier. Me and him were going back and forth, and like two other ones came out of the blue. I could get through at least 2 before the other (mainly him) hit me in the head. :/ He caught me a bunch today in the later games. :( Especially when I was an engie. ;_;

Heavy with help.
2130lfn.jpg

Revenge from the grave >:D

zu61oo.jpg

Javaman

6/9/Aftermath...

I took the lead but some explosion launched me in the air and the sentry pushed me up to the skybox. This wasn't even the peak of the flight. :lol
I'd imagine that this kinda sucked for whoever that pyro was (Doytch or Fallengorn?) once he rounded the corner.
hwhnyu.jpg

Tele-overkill
17clqp.jpg

Lazy Deadic O-face
21joh04.jpg

2u7owba.jpg

zjh1c0.jpg

2hwjx4i.jpg

Sciz

Oldschoolgamer said:
Fun stuff. Volcynika was pissing off a lot of people today. :lol :lol All there was "Boom headshot" "Headshot" "Headshot" "shot in whatever". :lol
I don't know how Xizk didn't dominate me more often throughout all of the games we were in together. I couldn't stand in his sights for a second without getting a bullet through my forehead. And if it wasn't him, it was you. :(

Oldschoolgamer said:
Heavy with help.
That's a great shot of the fire effect, and a fun pose to go with it. Unfortunately I died about five seconds later.

Also, it seems like that spy taunt camera issue I was talking about earlier affects all of the taunts, so take this as your chance to get some off-the-wall screencaps before they fix it.

n0b

Java you silly man. :p

rhfb said:
So I'm good with the pyro, medic and sniper, but suck with every other class :(

Scout is good for running the suitcases, but I can never kill anyone with it
Soldier is just too slow for me, can't hit everyone with my slow ass rockets
Demo (no comment)
Heavy is ok, but I find I run out of ammo way too quick
Engi I can do ok as just trying to place my shit in the same place I've seen others put them at
Spy seems like everyone knows I'm a spy and kills me before I can backstab anyone

HALP

Scout is a hassle class, you gotta get in and out and around enemies before they get a chance to kill you, while shooting them the whole time.

Soldier, aim for surfaces instead of people and lead your shots a bit.

Demo, get an idea of the right range, far enough so that you can detonate stickies before people pass by them, and close enough so that your shots don't fall short. Try to keep enemies at that range, and then start learning which gun is right for each situation until you can start moving in closer.

Heavy is worthless at range with the minigun, figure out your farthest effective range with it (around 20-30 feet) and use shotgun on anyone further that, shooting and closing the gap. You'll be using less ammo if you stick to that and then you just need to learn ammo placement and pick up ammo off dead bodies.

Engi can do much more by simply changing up sentry locations every once and a while. You just have to keep its range and line of sight in mind, and don't just crouch behind it, thats only really needed when there are ubers or giant crowds.

Spy is the only class that I am complete trash in, but there was a how to play spy video on youtube somewhere, and it seemed pretty good.

Sciz

TF2 blog update:

Robin Walker said:
So much blood!
July 9, 2008

Well, we were expecting some response to A Heavy Problem, but we severely underestimated just how much interest everyone had in contributing. If you're one of the many folks who emailed us proposals and haven't received a response, please accept our apologies, because there's just too many for us to reply to all of them. From the large amount of feedback and forum activity, it's clear that many of you found this interesting, so we'll definitely be posting more design goals. For those of you still thinking about it, here are some more tools to use in evaluating ideas:

* Does it affect the main weaknesses of the class? What could opponents do against an entire team of this class armed with your idea? Class balance is more a function of the weaknesses of each class than their strengths. Weaknesses provide population control, where the value of a counter class rises as a class's population rises. i.e. Snipers become more valuable the more Heavies there are on the enemy team. As a result, we're very wary of reducing a class's weaknesses.
* How does it affect the core interactions between this class and other classes? To help here, it's useful to coarsely determine the standard interaction for this class and each other class at short, medium, long ranges, and varying terrain layouts, assuming roughly equal skill on each player's part. Then think about how your idea affects each of those interactions.
* Does it also solve other goals we have for the class? We usually have several goals we're trying to achieve with a class, and ideas which solve multiples are more valuable.

The last one raises another question: What other goals should we have for the Heavy update? Half the battle of good design is choosing the right goals and the right constraints. In A Heavy Problem, we specified a goal for you, and the constraints that had to be kept in mind. Try taking a shot at defining the overall set of goals that the Heavy unlockables should be trying to achieve. Watch out for the common circular logic trap of finding an idea you like and then trying to extract goals from it. We find it's best to not think about ideas at all at this point, and to focus entirely on more abstract goals. What are the biggest problems in the Heavy class? In what situations is it the least fun? Like idea evaluation, goal generation is a big topic in itself, and one we'll go into in a later post.

Oldschoolgamer

That was me java. We were storming the sentry and you disappeared on me. :( I made it like a few feet away before I was viciously gunned down .

Sciz said:
I don't know how Xizk didn't dominate me more often throughout all of the games we were in together. I couldn't stand in his sights for a second without getting a bullet through my forehead. And if it wasn't him, it was you. :(

:D

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nice games yesterday night, highpoints :

-Überring Capndrake (or was it someone else?) disguised as a friendly Demo near a control point. Didn't even bother fleeing...

-First at points for a good part as a Medic, EL.OH.EL

-I discovered the joys of spawn camping as a Pyro on the last map of goldrush on defence team. The cart didn't move much that round.

-Got the Flare Gun YAY!

-Confidence man is a scary Sniper

-Rakka and Sciz are great Heavys

-Tried to smack talk but the Medic got his mouth shut pretty fast >_<

Seriously I am having a blast with this game and its like the first time I play somewhat regularly an online FPS. SO WORTH IT!

Silly question : How do convert the screenshots I took into jpegs?

Volcynika

Mistouze said:
Nice games yesterday night, highpoints :

-Überring Capndrake (or was it someone else?) disguised as a friendly Demo near a control point. Didn't even bother fleeing...

-First at points for a good part as a Medic, EL.OH.EL

-I discovered the joys of spawn camping as a Pyro on the last map of goldrush on defence team. The cart didn't move much that round.

-Got the Flare Gun YAY!

-Confidence man is a scary Sniper

-Rakka and Sciz are great Heavys

-Tried to smack talk but the Medic got his mouth shut pretty fast >_<

Seriously I am having a blast with this game and its like the first time I play somewhat regularly an online FPS. SO WORTH IT!

Silly question : How do convert the screenshots I took into jpegs?

I might've used something else, but in my console, I just type "bind f5 jpeg"

Also, Mistouze saying the game is broken when he got high points, even though thats what good medics usually do :lol

Capndrake

Mistouze said:
Yeah, that was me :lol

Getting ubered by an enemy Medic better be an achievement whenever the Spy pack is released.

Twig

Banned
PillowKnight said:
There is also a console command that automatically converts them, I forget what it is though.
IIRC, that command also prevents the screenshots you take from having those fancy names like "Twig is looking good!"

...What, no one has any screenshots like that?

):

Capndrake said:
Worst part of it all? I repeatedly told everyone that there should be at least two guys at our final capture point at all times and I was about to head back myself, after I was done healing most of our attackers...

EviLore said:
GAF server is functional again, forgot about the recent update.
Negative. Still doesn't work over here:

2meeq9f.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom