• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PillowKnight said:
Then again, any second a medic spends dead is also a second that he's not healing someone. If someone's not there to stop the pyro from attacking the medic, then the medic must attack.

Good point, I mostly referring to the jokers you see running around with the saw. :)

Volcynika

n0b had to just stand in front of me when I'm trying to snipe. Then gets killed by a crit rocket.

YOU DESERVED IT!

And Twig is just a Dustbowl hater!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Volcynika said:
n0b had to just stand in front of me when I'm trying to snipe. Then gets killed by a crit rocket.

YOU DESERVED IT!

And Twig is just a Dustbowl hater!
:lol I just fired it off and just ducked back in and waited for that crit hit sound.

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
Why does everyone make fun of me anyway.

What did I ever do to deserve this?

Besides kill you a lot.

You're Twig?

2ropaph.jpg

VaLiancY

Sweet. New Heavy Unlock.

Well I saw some awesome clan matches against Pandemic and Excello and it got me hyped. I love TF2 but seeing these professional teams go at each other was just awesome and my want to play it even more.

Capndrake

:lol Even some Valve employees thought the "Spy Update" was real:

One of the things we hope to do on this blog is to point out the creative things that members of the TF2 community are up to. The Steampowered TF2 forum members have been collecting links ever since TF2 was released, and you can take a look at the list (and its accompanying 46-pages-so-far (!) forum thread) here.

Recently, we've received a ton of email asking us if we had accidentally leaked the details of the Spy's unlockables, after Kaanin created this fake web page detailing his version of what the release should contain. His mocked-up image was convincing enough that even some of us at Valve were momentarily fooled. Well played, Kaanin.

Twig

Banned
Valve agrees that the demoman is "out of whack".
GC: I have some more TF2-specific questions, for the fans, if that’s all right. While you’ve done a great job making a fun and even game, are there any glaring imbalances in TF2’s classes that still jump out at you?

EJ: You know, when we talk about class balance, we still feel like the Demoman might be a little out of whack. It’s probably the one that comes most often into play. And it’s tricky, because there’s a skill component to the sticky grenades that’s interesting. Just making things less effective — tweaking numbers, like, “this now does less damage” — isn’t really the approach we generally like to take with things like that. That’s one we look at probably the most.

Vlad

I rather liked the sound of this:

EJ: It’s been positive. With the Medic, the first pack, our feedback was definitely that some of the achievements that we chose — the difficulty in obtaining them was too high. So, we rolled that feedback into the Pyro pack. We actually went back to the Medic and changed the amount of achievements you need to have to get the unlocked weapons. As opposed to having to do unlocks for all the classes at once, that’s one of the advantages we have in doing one step, is we can learn. So, with the Pyro, I think we did a much better job in making those interesting for players than we did with the Medic.

I hate the idea of grinding just on general principle, so I figured I'd just get the weapons eventually through the course of playing normally. While I unlocked the Pyro ones in a reasonable amount of time (long enough so that it was satisfying, but not so long that it was irritating), there were just far too many of the Medic ones that weren't feasible to do during the normal course of play.

What I loved about the Pyro ones was that some of them were still a little offbeat, like igniting a rocket jumping soldier or killing someone with a taunt, there were still ample chances to do that while playing. Thankfully it sounds like they're going to be doing more stuff like that with the Heavy.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
What's the server you guys play on? I'd be playing from New Zealand, so my ping would be through the roof, but it could be fun. My steam account is macrochip if you want to add me.

Capndrake

pjberri said:
What's the server you guys play on? I'd be playing from New Zealand, so my ping would be through the roof, but it could be fun. My steam account is macrochip if you want to add me.
69.90.34.11:27015

Twig

Banned
Cheeto said:
Pixar needs to make their first R rated movie with the TF2 license.
Honestly, I think Valve is doing just fine by themselves. The shorts are animated amazingly well.

I wouldn't say no to a little help from Pixar, though. :D

Akia

I think the shorter video that's going to accopmany the Heavy class update is going to be a How-To video on using the Heavy's updates.

Sciz

Incidentally,

Erik Johnson said:
EJ: To try and do a class unlock… I think it was about five weeks between the Medic and the Pyro, and we’d like to keep that schedule. If you extrapolate out from there, with seven classes left, that’s 7-8 months of class work for sure. The class unlocks are a little faster to come out than the movies.
It's been four weeks since the pyro pack as of today. Heavy gear incoming next week?

Doytch

So my mouse is on the fritz, and I'm gonna get a new one, probably with a new keyboard too. I'd really like to keep using wireless, but I'm open to other ideas too, since I haven't had much luck finding nice wireless combos.

Right now, I'm looking at the G5 for the mouse. A wireless keyboard with USB ports (for the mouse) and media keys would be absolutely ideal, but I can't seem to find that.

Any ideas?

Sciz said:
It's been four weeks since the pyro pack as of today. Heavy gear incoming next week?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Sciz

Doytch said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I'm not, but the pyro pack did come a lot sooner than I think any of us expected it to.

Also, there's nothing more frustrating than trying to play against organized clans that play all soldiers and invade public servers.

n0b

Sciz said:
Also, there's nothing more frustrating than trying to play against organized clans that play all soldiers and invade public servers.
Nah, I was more frustrated by not being able to play at my normal level.

Javaman

Sciz said:
I'm not, but the pyro pack did come a lot sooner than I think any of us expected it to.

So that's what happened. The server kinda fell apart all of the sudden with one team dominating. They keep that shit on their own servers.

Twig

Banned
I was just having a bad TF2 day in general. D: Terrible all around. I did notice that clan on the same team as half of the best Gaffers. I was like "oh."

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Doytch said:
So my mouse is on the fritz, and I'm gonna get a new one, probably with a new keyboard too. I'd really like to keep using wireless, but I'm open to other ideas too, since I haven't had much luck finding nice wireless combos.

Right now, I'm looking at the G5 for the mouse. A wireless keyboard with USB ports (for the mouse) and media keys would be absolutely ideal, but I can't seem to find that.

Any ideas?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326592

I personally use the mx518.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Doytch said:

Any ideas?

G5 is good. G15 keyboard - the slick new one, not the ugly old one - is also good. But yeah, check out the thread above. There are plenty of people with different ideas, because it really does come down to personal preference.

Sciz

At the risk of further marginalizing the spy, another engie construction concept: a pad, much like the teleporter, that cloaks the user momentarily. You cannot attack, and cannot manually uncloak. The pad itself is cheap and quick to build, but burns out after a single use, leaving no metal.

Doytch

So after two horrible hours of testing code that involves a lot of clicking and dragging, I ordered a G7+G15 (and new mousepad since mine's getting old). Random un/clicks while holding down the mouse are sooooooo annoying.

Volcynika

Forgot to post this, but Java also got a kick out of it. We even made him do a jig! For those that didn't know, I sniped a heavy, and this is how he ended up after dying.

cp_gravelpit0030.jpg

Won

andycapps said:
Is this the official GAF server?

b_350x20_C323957-202743-FFFFFF-111111.png

This the official one, but it is password protected and therefor only used on patchday.

Sciz said:
At the risk of further marginalizing the spy, another engie construction concept: a pad, much like the teleporter, that cloaks the user momentarily. You cannot attack, and cannot manually uncloak. The pad itself is cheap and quick to build, but burns out after a single use, leaving no metal.

I welcome every change that makes Spy more useless. *evilstare*

firex

I still think they should make teleporters 2-way with an engineer unlock.

and I just thought about this: what if the Heavy got some kind of low-damage gun to replace the shotgun that would slow down someone it hit? It'd basically enable them to deal with classes who can hit and run on them and would even give them some utility. I'm sure there are possibilities of it being overpowered, but I think it could be designed like the flare gun so it'd be something you use for utility, not damage.

Sciz

It's not a bad idea, but I'm wary of any kind of stun or slowdown effect. My days playing WoW were enough to teach me that effects which remove control from the target aren't at all fun to deal with in a PvP setting.

n0b

Sciz said:
I dunno, I think that would just distract the engineer from his job to have a one use deployable. Also, since unfortunately most engineers stay in the back, it would never be used in the right place.

I think the engie update should focus on making engie offense more effective as an alternate to the turtling style. I think the engineer needs a fast build kit, where everything is a bit weaker or less effective, but it goes up twice as fast and for less metal.
firex said:
and I just thought about this: what if the Heavy got some kind of low-damage gun to replace the shotgun that would slow down someone it hit? It'd basically enable them to deal with classes who can hit and run on them and would even give them some utility. I'm sure there are possibilities of it being overpowered, but I think it could be designed like the flare gun so it'd be something you use for utility, not damage.
Basically useless, if someone's doing hit and run on you, you're going to have the minigun out. Heavy needs something like a big version of the spy's revolver, accurate and high damage, good for fighting people at range. Heavy is fine at close range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom