• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

n0b said:
I think the engie update should focus on making engie offense more effective as an alternate to the turtling style. I think the engineer needs a fast build kit, where everything is a bit weaker or less effective, but it goes up twice as fast and for less metal.

I'd actually play engie more with this. I don't like playing regular engie, but I do like to occasionally run around throwing sgs up.

firex

this slowing gun thing (I was thinking like some kind of crazy net-launching gun that'd only hit one target max) would be more of a long range weapon though. Like something you'd fire at a scout as he runs away so you can pin him down and then switch to the minigun. But I'm sure there's something better Valve could come up with.

I'm just hoping they come up with something fun and different to replace the shotgun. As it stands there's 4 classes with a shotgun as their secondary/primary weapon, so reducing the number of those being used is fine with me.

Sciz

n0b said:
I dunno, I think that would just distract the engineer from his job to have a one use deployable. Also, since unfortunately most engineers stay in the back, it would never be used in the right place.

I think the engie update should focus on making engie offense more effective as an alternate to the turtling style. I think the engineer needs a fast build kit, where everything is a bit weaker or less effective, but it goes up twice as fast and for less metal.
Well, that's kind of the point. Making it a cheap one-shot encourages the engie to stay with the team up front. That said, I've wanted to try the fast kit idea for a while now.

n0b

firex said:
this slowing gun thing (I was thinking like some kind of crazy net-launching gun that'd only hit one target max) would be more of a long range weapon though. Like something you'd fire at a scout as he runs away so you can pin him down and then switch to the minigun. But I'm sure there's something better Valve could come up with.
That makes no sense, you would pin them far away and then you wouldn't hit them because the minigun has no accuracy. And they wouldn't be running away in the first place unless you had your minigun out already, so that would mean you would have to fit the time of two weapon switches and at least one shot before you could start damaging them again. Then they would still be gone even if slowed. Besides, thats more of a scout tool anyway, like caltrops.

Doytch said:
I'd actually play engie more with this. I don't like playing regular engie, but I do like to occasionally run around throwing sgs up.
I prefer that as well. Most of the time I never go above level 1 sentries, unless its a defense map.

My idea for an offense kit would be everything costs 100 metal, first stage sentry nearly the same, but second stage only one chaingun and third only 2 rockets instead of 4, added onto the single chaingun, but each stage only takes 100 metal. Dispenser would be nearly the same, just less ammo capacity as a tradeoff for faster build. Then instead of a teleporter set, you get 2 jump pads(which would boost about as much as a rocket jump). You could still help people move faster across the map, but you could instead just use them for greater mobility on the front line. There would still be a little charge time though.
Sciz said:
Well, that's kind of the point. Making it a cheap one-shot encourages the engie to stay with the team up front. That said, I've wanted to try the fast kit idea for a while now.
It wouldn't convince all the turtles to move up away from their comfy camping spot, they would just put it in a worthless spot because they know its gone after one use. The problem is that they would have to ignore their other stuff to keep a functioning cloaker up.

firex

or you could hit them with it and use that time to close the distance. I'm just trying to think of something beyond the retarded "minigun that recharges your health while spinning it" that was bandied about before in some other topic.

Heavy shotgun crits already have ridiculous knockback. It's nice, because you should have your shotgun out anyway whenever you're traipsing around on your own because waiting to spin that minigun is going to kill you if an enemy manages to get the drop on you. Give heavy a shotgun that has maybe 1, 2 shots a clip, does some knockback on the target and that should hopefully let them switch to minigun and spin up. The price comes that it's easier for people to escape you as it's much harder to chase and finish off demos and soldiers. The low clip means it can't really be used for uber denial, and the minigun would do a better job anyway.

EDIT: someone suggested to me (and based on how I play heavy) that the best way to think of a solo heavy is as a super pyro; ambushing is your only avenue against everything except (stupid) pyros and "soft" classes. How about a backburner version of the minigun? No extra health, much reduced ammo clip size (and only 50% from picked up weapons) but crits from behind. This makes it weaker when paired with a medic as you'll then be taking up the role of soaking up all the enemy fire anyway, you wont get back crits and you'll have to run away from the front line much more often for ammo. But somewhat unoriginal.

Won

The game does not need more crits in the back, especially not on mid-long range....the Spy already has no role in this game! -.-

Won said:
The game does not need more crits in the back, especially not on mid-long range....the Spy already has no role in this game! -.-

The spy has no role due to shitty level design that doesn't permit safe passage for spies and because there's too many visual cues cluing in the enemies. EDIT: and sentry farms being far more accessible and available to pubbie servers than a good demoman ubercharge to severely weaken engineers and let spies attack without sentry retribution.

And having solo heavies running around trying to sneak up to enemy teams actually does give spies a whole new role. It's like a pyro you can catch up to, easily backstab, and you wont get killed in retarded fashion too. Heavies can't just fire a burst every second or so to look for spies - only defensively on a dispenser do heavies make good spycheckers.

firex

I think if they're going to give the heavy some other kind of rapid-fire gun it'll just be some form of large machinegun with less ammo than the minigun, but no need to be spun up and probably less damage.

Actually, I guess that gun could even have the same amount of ammo since it'd be distinctly less powerful than the minigun, but easier to handle.

Volcynika

Yeesh, that pro leon or whatever guy was annoying as hell. Kept taunting me and basically saying I'm worthless as a sniper. Good thing I wasn't off my game, but that blue team was crazy tonight, something was off.

Also, if you google my username, it says "Did you mean: volcanic "

D:

Twig

Banned
I was!

I was doing good!

Until I spent the last ten minutes or so trying to go against the entire opposing team by myself.

pl_goldrush0031534.jpg

I almost had that sentry TWICE. TWICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Damn. I missed out on what seems like a lot of fun. D:

Also, snipers rule. When I'm not sick I'll get back on my game. After homework. fucking summer class ftl. :|

Volcynika

Oldschoolgamer said:
Damn. I missed out on what seems like a lot of fun. D:

Also, snipers rule. When I'm not sick I'll get back on my game. After homework. fucking summer class ftl. :|

It was only Twig doing well. Nothing big.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
So I feel like they should add setup time to badlands. It makes 5 point CP maps so much better.
Before they do that, they need to fix the cap time for the last point.

I understand Valve wants to avoid tons of stalemates, but Badlands caps wayyyy too fast.

n0b

firex said:
So I feel like they should add setup time to badlands. It makes 5 point CP maps so much better.
But then you remove any fast classes effectiveness at getting early map control.

Twig

Banned
n0b said:
But then you remove any fast classes effectiveness at getting early map control.
But if you don't have a setup time, you just have a bunch of people rushing with scouts.

Which is annoying.

the setup time made granary significantly more enjoyable.

Cheeto

firex said:
Just look under the custom tab for servers running party mode/birthday mode.
I'll try that. My server list doesn't seem to poll more than about 400 servers though...while Counter Strike will get tons and tons.

n0b

TheOneGuy said:
But if you don't have a setup time, you just have a bunch of people rushing with scouts.
Thats the point, the scouts had a job, grab the center early on, and then the slower classes come in and help you hold it, or stop the other team's cap if they got the initial rush.

With a setup, the first push is usually soldiers/heavies + medics, but before it was added to granary scouts and pyros had much more use in the initial push. Besides that it was just nice to have a map with setup and a map without. Now that granary has a setup, badlands needs to be the alternative.

Twig

Banned
Apparently you misunderstood me.

The problem is there are always TOO MANY scouts at the beginning.

But regardless, Badlands needs to be fixed. Because obviously no one likes it. Even though it's the single best official map.

Doytch

Good games last night. You all missed the biggest steamrolling I've ever witnessed on Goldrush, though. We started on defense, and spawn camped them the entire round. Then on blu, we rolled them to the first check point, and spawn camped them while two people moved the cart, for parts 1 and 2. Part 3 was more of the same, but less spawn camping. :lol

Then they scrambled the teams. :(

TheOneGuy said:
Apparently you misunderstood me.

The problem is there are always TOO MANY scouts at the beginning.

But regardless, Badlands needs to be fixed. Because obviously no one likes it. Even though it's the single best official map.

I don't think there's too many scouts. There's usually two on each side, maybe three, but that's to be expected with a map that's built to reward the scout's double-jump. And it is an awesome map, haters be damned.

Davidion

Doytch said:
Good games last night. You all missed the biggest steamrolling I've ever witnessed on Goldrush, though. We started on defense, and spawn camped them the entire round. Then on blu, we rolled them to the first check point, and spawn camped them while two people moved the cart, for parts 1 and 2. Part 3 was more of the same, but less spawn camping. :lol

Then they scrambled the teams. :(

Was this on Circle X? Holy shit my first round on Gravel Pit there was so horrible; I think my k/d was something like 1/3.

I managed to do really well on Dustbowl, but then my girlfriend started to intervene...:(

I'm coming back to LMS and Roomba. Fuck that. :lol

Oh and by the way, I forgot to ask you from the other night: when the fuck did you become a crack spy?! :(

Doytch said:
I don't think there's too many scouts. There's usually two on each side, maybe three, but that's to be expected with a map that's built to reward the scout's double-jump. And it is an awesome map, haters be damned.

I just wish they'd change the middle point layout a bit. Not sure why it's such a turnoff.

Twig

Banned
Doytch said:
It's not USUALLY a problem, no, but there are still plenty of times when I play and there are like five scouts at the beginning, but after they all die, they switch to another class.

Capndrake

MrPing1000 said:
Behold the greatness of TF2 Karaoke

http://www.vimeo.com/1096353

http://www.vimeo.com/890999

probably posted before, but who cares.

Today I'm going to try and learn spy.
Yup, that's 2fort2furious. The best karaokes they've done are easily this or this (Battle Pope is the only one singing :lol).

In other news, Vilepickle (Castle, Mach, Chaos, etc.) made a new map: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/60346

Played it on 2f2f earlier, it's pretty fun. 8 CPs, all can be captured at any time. Each cap gives you points, the first team to get a score of 100 wins. If you somehow manage to get all 8 points then you insta-win.

Doytch

Davidion said:
Was this on Circle X? Holy shit my first round on Gravel Pit there was so horrible; I think my k/d was something like 1/3.

I managed to do really well on Dustbowl, but then my girlfriend started to intervene...:(

I'm coming back to LMS and Roomba. Fuck that. :lol

Hah, ya I like playing there because of that. Even when I'm playing my best as Pyro, it's tough to keep up with a demo like sm0ke. I'll die and by the time I run back to the front, he's got five points. :lol

Oh and by the way, I forgot to ask you from the other night: when the fuck did you become a crack spy?! :(

I think I just had some luck there. I'm really not that good with Spy. I was just playing different classes until my G7 came in (which I'm loving).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom